News Article: Kovalev talking smack about Subban

thom

Mar 6, 2012
I agree but Kovalev made over 55 million dollars-owns a private jet so I doubt he is very upset.The ones who would be the players from 2-3 generations who were screwed by owner and union boss

Saintpatrick*

Insult or critize? You guys are taking this way too personal for absolutely no reason.

They've played this game long enough to say what ever the **** crosses their minds. Their opinion, in a way, is superior to anyones on these forums because they actually PLAYED hockey, instead of just watching it. They see things from another perspective.

Kovalev criticizing anyone's defensive game and who deserves a big contract or not is hypocrisy at it's finest. He got payed very well for coasting half his career. Back checking was dirty word for this guy.

He was playing a charity golf tournament in Montreal and he played here long enough to know that would draw alot of attention, didn't he know better to keep his mouth shut?

Can't help but take it personally when your favorite player is unfairly and overly criticized.

Last edited by a moderator:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Kovalev is right that PK is not the right choice for captain.PK might only become captain material in his 30s because he has too much of a polarizing personality for him to be a young captain.The veterans might have a problem with it.

PricePkPatch*

Kovalev is right that PK is not the right choice for captain.PK might only become captain material in his 30s because he has too much of a polarizing personality for him to be a young captain.The veterans might have a problem with it.

You do realize that Messier was a "polarizing personality" himself before he became Captain? he was seen as a young arrogant punk by many.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I still laugh (in a good way) when I hear about Lafleur and cigarettes between periods:laugh: (we can't find out who would do this today since it is not allowed to smoke inside anymore!! lol!, but there are still many players who smoke after the game - outside - when they go to a bar/strip-bar or back home,etc....not all of 'em, but more than we think I assume?! but...imo NHL players are in better shape VS NHL in the 60s and 70s...many NHL players in 50s-60s-70s had 2nd jobs since NHL salary wasn't like today's ludicrous salaries, thanks to all the fans who pay for the tickets, jerseys, beer,etc...fans = today's salaries). Imo, NHL players from the 50s, 60s, 70s looked a lot older at age 30 compared to today's 30...NHL's 30...imo (2nd job factor? technology/nutrition/fitness regime/oxygen tanks,etc,etc).

Not sure why you laugh when you pretty much agree nutrition and fitness levels of athletes is completely different and more advanced.

You think someone is going to invest 70M on a player who thinks his health is irrelevant to the point he'll have some cigarettes in between freaking periods??
I seriously doubt that.

Is it impossible that some do? Of course not. Point was only to show how things evolve.
Btw, when Lafleur started his career, it had only been 5 years that a research came out saying cigarettes were bad.

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City
Well Sergei Zubov managed to be a regular smoker all his NHL career, while being an amazing defenseman.

You know who else is entitled to their opinion? The people whose opinion is that Kovalev is Jealous.

You may agree or not with his opinion, but putting down and insinuating jealousy (or anything that is in his mind, hey you don't know what he think !) from a pretty good player that did alot for the team and the city isn't reasonable.

All this just because he criticize the Hf Boards golden boy, the prince that was promised. I mean looking at this thread you would think Kovalev would have said he's a disgrace...I suggest to some people to listen at the video. God forbid someone criticizing Subban a little bit, while comparing him to an HOF, nobody is worthy :laugh:.

Coming from a big Pk Subban fan, that like his contract (especially the lenght), and that actually have taken his side in arguments here.

Last edited:

shawdowmaker

Dec 20, 2011
Montreal
BenchBrawl dude, you wrote: Kovalev is right that PK is not the right choice for captain.PK might only become captain material in his 30s because he has too much of a polarizing personality for him to be a young captain.The veterans might have a problem with it.

Veterans, which veterans are you referring to? Markov is the only one IMO that can object to Subban being Captain. Markov has status and respect on the team which IMO makes him the clear choice for captaincy. The fact that he plays at a high level all year round makes him a great captain for this team however if Markov refuses to wear the C Subban would get my vote. He has to mature and improve his defensive play but which player doesn’t have flaws. All In all Markov is on his way down Subban Up. In 5 years Markov 40 he won’t be playing D in MTL at 40. Plek is a leader but not enough post season success to wear the C. …that’s pretty much it for significant veterans on the team.

SAKS AVENUE

Oct 12, 2008
P.K still needs mentoring himself, there is no way he is ready to mentor anyone else in the Captain kind of way I'm sure Bergy wants. I hope they let the team decide who will be the next captain. But no friggin way is it going to be P.K. He is not ready for that .........yet.

PricePkPatch*

P.K still needs mentoring himself, there is no way he is ready to mentor anyone else in the Captain kind of way I'm sure Bergy wants. I hope they let the team decide who will be the next captain. But no friggin way is it going to be P.K. He is not ready for that .........yet.

Veterans are still going to mentor the youngers.

I don't see what a few letters are going to change about that. You think the fact that he doens't have a letter mean Pleks doesn't mentor younger players?

thom

Mar 6, 2012
Cant stop laughing-Michael Jordan,John Elway and greatest lb Lawrence Taylor who despite doing cocaine 3 days a week and getting hammered on liquer was best ever.Jordan doing cigars and partying like their was no tomorrow is legendary.Elway being hammered every other day and getting a limo to pick him up-these are todays athletes not any different.

tohaa

Apr 23, 2012
You do realize that Messier was a "polarizing personality" himself before he became Captain? he was seen as a young arrogant punk by many.
And he was at times more detrimental than beneficial to his teams. He didn't see playoff icetime for nearly ten years because the teams he captained treated him as if he was coach and ultimate authority, whereas he was actually an overrated arrogant moron.

That being said - in a league where Messier could be a respected captain of three teams... PK should have the "C".

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Cant stop laughing-Michael Jordan,John Elway and greatest lb Lawrence Taylor who despite doing cocaine 3 days a week and getting hammered on liquer was best ever.Jordan doing cigars and partying like their was no tomorrow is legendary.Elway being hammered every other day and getting a limo to pick him up-these are todays athletes not any different.

3 days a week? Darryl Strawberry laughs at this.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Well then perhaps the problem lies with those veterans, and not necessarily Subban exclusively, maybe even at all.

thom

Mar 6, 2012
You got me I forgot Stawberry he was an all star doing cocaine.I could go on and on about modern Athletes but I will stop.To younger generation your modern athletes live shadowy private lives of 50s.60s or 70s or even worse.People should have gone to a hotel room after Michael Jordan game in Vancouver-for some it would have been shocking for others who know better its part of culture-yes modern athletes do these things-

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Funny...I happen to think that a lot of players on the team, veterans or younger players, could learn a great deal about PK Subban and the way he handles things

He's A LOT more mature then he's given credit for

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Kovalev criticizing anyone's defensive game and who deserves a big contract or not is hypocrisy at it's finest. He got payed very well for coasting half his career. Back checking was dirty word for this guy.

He was playing a charity golf tournament in Montreal and he played here long enough to know that would draw alot of attention, didn't he know better to keep his mouth shut?

Can't help but take it personally when your favorite player is unfairly and overly criticized.

His words flowed almost as if he had prepared his comments. I think he likes to play with the mediots to watch them jump. He'd have to have been living in a cave to not get a sense of the attachment the fans have to PK, you might as well slag Genie Bouchard or kick a puppy than to call this guy out in Montreal.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Funny...I happen to think that a lot of players on the team, veterans or younger players, could learn a great deal about PK Subban and the way he handles things

He's A LOT more mature then he's given credit for

Solid upbringing. There's more than Karl's genes in PK.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I know a lot of you guys are hysterically in love with Subban, but it wasn't that long ago that he was irritating to many players including his teammates.He seemed to have changed, but changing the impression takes time.He is getting more respected lately, and hopefully this trend continues.If it does, then I could see him as captain material in his 30s or late 20s.

I'm a huge fan of giving the C to the most respected person/player (unless he's healthy scratch material), and I seriously doubt Subban is such a person.

Also some guy wrote that if some veterans doesn't like Subban as a choice to be their captain, then maybe the problem is with the veterans.Well, I don't think so.How much you respect someone is subjective and up to you, and I can see the case for a 34 years old veteran not wanting to be led by 25 years old PK Subban who had a questionable attitude less than 2 years ago.I see no problem with that from the veteran perspective.Doesn't mean he doesn't like Subban or respect his game/personality, just that he's not the n1 leader on the team in the eyes of too many.

Hey, maybe I'm wrong and the players would love to have Subban as their captain, but I doubt it as of today.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
I know a lot of you guys are hysterically in love with Subban, but it wasn't that long ago that he was irritating to many players including his teammates.He seemed to have changed, but changing the impression takes time.He is getting more respected lately, and hopefully this trend continues.If it does, then I could see him as captain material in his 30s or late 20s.

I'm a huge fan of giving the C to the most respected person/player (unless he's healthy scratch material), and I seriously doubt Subban is such a person.

Also some guy wrote that if some veterans doesn't like Subban as a choice to be their captain, then maybe the problem is with the veterans.Well, I don't think so.How much you respect someone is subjective and up to you, and I can see the case for a 34 years old veteran not wanting to be led by 25 years old PK Subban who had a questionable attitude less than 2 years ago.I see no problem with that from the veteran perspective.Doesn't mean he doesn't like Subban or respect his game/personality, just that he's not the n1 leader on the team in the eyes of too many.

Hey, maybe I'm wrong and the players would love to have Subban as their captain, but I doubt it as of today.

You may be right, you may be wrong, or somewhere in between but that was no way to start a post in which you want to convince someone to accept your ideas.

Markov would appear to be universally respected, if he doesn't accept or get offered the captaincy I suspect they will ask him who his personal choice would be. Any choice made will get the Markov sniff test.

There are 2 choices for me - Old Guard Markov, and New Guard Subban, I am ok with either one and I don't mind if Subban has to grow into the position.

And my Subban choice is not out of hysterical love, it's because the guy just makes **** happen out there when it needs to happen.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

You seriously have to be some special kind of idiot to think partying, doing drugs, drinking, not resting properly has no barring on your performance. I mean really, that is beyond Pejorative Slured.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Hey...i'm that guy

I agree with you in theory, but here's where I differ

If there's some guys on the team who have an issue with PK Subban because they don't feel he's ready to be captain, that's fine. I doubt he'd be a unanimous choice (hell, I doubt there's unanimity amongst any of the candidates).

But if these veterans have a problem with Subban being named captain based on perceived personality flaws based on the fact that he's not the typical hockey player.

Then that's where I think the problem lies with their perception, not necessarily anything Subban does.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
Hey...i'm that guy

If there's some guys on the team who have an issue with PK Subban because they don't feel he's ready to be captain, that's fine. I doubt he'd be a unanimous choice (hell, I doubt there's unanimity amongst any of the candidates).

But if these veterans have a problem with Subban being named captain based on perceived personality flaws based on the fact that he's not the typical hockey player.

Then that's where I think the problem lies with their perception, not necessarily anything Subban does.

This is a recipe for a disaster.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Hey...i'm that guy

I don't think players perceive "personality flaws" of other players based on how they play the game...if that's what you meant by "not a typical hockey player".Subban takes risks that could backfire, but everybody knows this is what happens with offensive defensemen.I don't think this is a major problem against him becoming captain (though it's in the mix).

My point was much more about how others perceive him versus how they perceive the other 24 players on that team.I don't think Subban is disrespected, but there's a difference between being disrespected and being respected to the point where the other players (at least the majority, including some veterans because let's face it age matters when it comes to leadership) want to be led by you.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2