News Article: Kovalev talking smack about Subban

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
He's right and people only look at the figure (9M$) that while yes, was sometimes given in Kovalev's days in the NHL to exceptionnal players like Bure, Sakic, Roy (which Subban is far from being) and to the Holik (Glen Sather, enough said). But for EIGHT years? That wasn't common at all. And we're talking about a 72M$ contract for a 25 year old player with defensive issues. Kovalev is right on the money on everything he said.

Rozz

Jun 23, 2012
Niagara Falls, Ont.
It would be, except that it's incredibly racist! It also references marijuana. So no, we can't use that idiom here.

had a date last night so i was late to this thread..

but this has to be the most interesting comment of this thread. i'm assuming you gotta be joking around here? Right?

to my knowledge and the knowledge of everything Google could come up with.. there is nothing racist about the statement other than apparently a couple very overly sensitive "everything much be completely PC" kinda ppl decided that because it has the word black and pot in it then it must be a negative jab at the African American people ... its not .. no more than assuming that everything that is the colour black must be an negative analogy in reference to African american people. and that would be just stupid and ignorant of some one to assume.

.. in fact i would go so far as to say that saying the statement is racist is kinda, in its self, an ignorant statement that boarders on racist.

but hey i was board this afternoon so thanks for giving me something to look up :nod:

P.S. here's the truth of the statement : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_pot_calling_the_kettle_black

oh ya .. and Kovy is on Krack!:shakehead

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
Kovy was such a special talent like PK.. but PK as 100 times more heart then Kovalev ever had!

Saintpatrick*

Ok what would be your criteria for Subban living up to his contract in the coming year?

I'd say anywhere from 50-60 points but I'm sure anything I say will be the wrong answer and for some people he will never live up to that contract no matter what he does.

Kovalev is completely right.
Except that no he wasn't and had no business opening his mouth to criticize anyone. King of the floaters should keep his mouth shut and think before he speaks.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
had a date last night so i was late to this thread..

but this has to be the most interesting comment of this thread. i'm assuming you gotta be joking around here? Right?
Sad thing is, it's only the marijuna reference that clued some people to the fact that I was horsing around. And even then there was the odd poster who thought I was serious... :laugh:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I maintain fair value for PK was 8 mil, 9 wasn't fair value nor a discount.

Regardless, young players get massive term these days. Term and money older stars wish they could've had before.

Still, apart from this, I don't agree with Kovalev. Subban takes risks, so does kovalev, so does pacioretty, so does moen, so does prust, etc...

It's about having the talent level to reduce the chance of failure. If moen takes a risk most likely it will fail. If Subban takes a risk his talent level can support it, Kovalev should know this better than anyone else.

For PK to have had an 8M cap, he would have to been signed to 64M. That's 8M less. It's a lot of money.

But yea, Kovalev doesn't make much sense about his risk factor. Also, PK will help the team create a lot more chances than give up. So he's wrong about the score 5 but cause 5 against too.

Basically Kovy sounds like he knows little about PK, and he just sounds bitter about the contracts kids are being offered. I mean the Rocket never got Kovalev's deals. Maybe he doesn't understand the CBA and cap.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Pk is a great player at any salary but the expectation levels that will be placed on him with this new contract will be through the roof.

There will no longer be criticism about his lack of minutes or use in key situations because he will be in them all.

Stripper

Mar 4, 2013
He has the right to have his own opinion. He has played the game long enough and can say what ever he wants. Do you agree with it? That is a different story. Do not insult him for something so small.

NHLFutureGuy3

Aug 22, 2008
I'd say anywhere from 50-60 points but I'm sure anything I say will be the wrong answer and for some people he will never live up to that contract no matter what he does.

For what he's paid and the minutes he will be getting , I would be disappointed with anything less than 60 points. If we go with your expectations, however, including Subban 8 defence-men in the entire league had 50 points or more.

What if he has an off year? He will be public enemy number 1. Because of his contract, he has no room for error. He has done himself a huge disservice by signing this contract. Kovalev may not be the right guy to say it but he's saying the right thing, Subban is overpaid.

Saintpatrick*

He has the right to have his own opinion. He has played the game long enough and can say what ever he wants. Do you agree with it? That is a different story. Do not insult him for something so small.

Yet he can insult a current player for no reason? Maybe I have my PK fan boy hat on but I don't think I've seen a player criticized so much when really he's a huge part of this team's success and was very solid in the playoffs.

First Lafleur now Kovalev. Subban is not the best defensively but he's not the worst by far. You would think by their comments that he's Karlsson bad in his own zone and that is so far from the truth it's not even funny.

Saintpatrick*

For what he's paid and the minutes he will be getting , I would be disappointed with anything less than 60 points. If we go with your expectations, however, including Subban 8 defence-men in the entire league had 50 points or more.

What if he has an off year? He will be public enemy number 1. Because of his contract, he has no room for error. He has done himself a huge disservice by signing this contract. Kovalev may not be the right guy to say it but he's saying the right thing, Subban is overpaid.

So he should have taken a pay cut in case he has a bad year? That logic makes zero sense. He took the bridge deal, was underpaid the last two years, he proved himself time and time again now he deserves the raise.

Rozz

Jun 23, 2012
Niagara Falls, Ont.
Sad thing is, it's only the marijuna reference that clued some people to the fact that I was horsing around. And even then there was the odd poster who thought I was serious... :laugh:

well you had me scratching my head a lil there lol ... but im hung over too and not at my quickest today lol

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Unimportant. His comment would be ignored if it didn't come from a well known hockey personality.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

If he becomes public enemy number one for a 50ish point season, then we're an entitled fanbase that ought to be happy he didn't walk on us. Fortunately, I sincerely doubt either the fanbase or Subban will have anything to worry about next season.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Well that's why you can't compare eras. I mean, Lafleur used to smoke cigarettes during periods, there's no way he'd be able to do this today. It doesn't mean he was way impressive for his time and really entertaining.
You can't look at what things are being done today and compare them to what was being done in a way less advanced sport/time.

If there was no Lafleur-Beliveau-Roy-Chelios-C.Lemieux-etc, there would be no PK Subban.

I still laugh (in a good way) when I hear about Lafleur and cigarettes between periods:laugh: (we can't find out who would do this today since it is not allowed to smoke inside anymore!! lol!, but there are still many players who smoke after the game - outside - when they go to a bar/strip-bar or back home,etc....not all of 'em, but more than we think I assume?! but...imo NHL players are in better shape VS NHL in the 60s and 70s...many NHL players in 50s-60s-70s had 2nd jobs since NHL salary wasn't like today's ludicrous salaries, thanks to all the fans who pay for the tickets, jerseys, beer,etc...fans = today's salaries). Imo, NHL players from the 50s, 60s, 70s looked a lot older at age 30 compared to today's 30...NHL's 30...imo (2nd job factor? technology/nutrition/fitness regime/oxygen tanks,etc,etc).

I can almost guarantee...PK Subban will join the Habs' ''honor roll'' in the above (Rocket Richard, Beliveau, Lafleur, Chelios, C.Lemieux, Roy, and then...it will be PK Subban....for me PK is already there!! but maybe that's just me!!).

About 70s, early 80s NHL hockey VS today's hockey and PK Subban's very entertaining flashy style...it's unfair to compare. You can compare if you want, but...not fair to the 70s-80s players (better skates, equipment, training, fitness coaches, bigger/faster players,etc,etc). Similar imo to tennis...60's-70s with wooden racquets...legends yes but today's tennis is faster, stronger, more powerful, way faster.........same with hockey...better/faster/bigger/more skill/way faster......hockey 20yrs from now should be better than 2014 hockey, but imo...Subban is playing modern futuristic flashy hockey 2034-2040 style... already!!hahaha!! (not kidding!).

At first, I thought : "nice, Kovalev, is comparing Subban to a HoF, and Leecth would command as much and even more if he signed a contract in Subban's circonstances". Subban might be seen as such, but when I watch hockey I see Subban play like a solid defender, with physicality and strenght. Maybe Kovalev confused Karlsson with Subban ?

Atrocious defensively:
Karlsson

Terrible defensively:
Letang

Very crafty/smart/VERY underrated DEFENSIVELY (real winner, gutsy, creative,etc):
PK Subban

I really really think that Kovalev has not properly watched PK Subban, or else Kovalev would agree with pro-Subban fans and think ''that Subbie...he's as talented or more than me in my prime but ten times flashier, gutsier, way more heart, way more entertainment value, more everything...and that defense of his is super crafty/intelligent/VERY underrated'',etc,etc.

PK Subban's defense:
I actually really really appreciate watching Subban play defense, sometimes more than his offense...he's Mr.Crafty...he's very smart and is always one-two-three steps ahead of a forward who is coming in to try and smash him into the boards with no success...Subbie will handle the puck and leave one meter or more between himself and the board so as not to be smashed like some dmen we know. Yes, he'll take some risks here and there (regular season) when he takes more risks and plays more of a ''loose'' game (but not often), but...in playoffs he makes no mistakes because the playoffs are a different animal to Subbie...the playoffs are what it's all about. Subbie simplifies his moves (playoff mode) and does more calculating...he's so fun to watch...defensively and offensively. Subban is actually very entertaining to watch...defensively (not only offensively) 'cause he's so crafty/original/smart/creative.

Kovalev is just a Subban hater.
Why? 'Cause it's obvious Kovalev has not watched Subbie play often...very obvious. Kovalev is just repeating what he's read about Subban 1-2 yrs ago...but more of those haters are quiet now...they have no choice since Subbie is that good (defensively and offensively).

1 minute left in the game...protecting a lead...I want Subban out there. PERIOD. (Not on the bench watching Therrien eat a hot-dog with extra relish).

1 minute left in the game...we need a goal...I want SIX Subbans out there!! (empty net, extra player!).

Subbie's predictable reactions to Kovalev's comments:
''I'm flattered that he spoke about me...Kovalev was an awesome player for the Habs...very flattering to be compared to Leetch'',etc,etc,etc. Positive, positive, positive...the usual positive smart Subban answers...smart 'cause he will never get in trouble with those answers,etc,etc. (that's what we want...for him to concentrate on hockey and not exchange words with ex-Hab players back and forth,etc).

In reality:
Subbie would probably tell Kovalev to continue playing golf and to stay quiet, but Subban is smarter than that. And Subban is getting ready for the '14-15 season...he has not time for Kovalev or what he thinks (I have the time though!!;)).

Subban's salary:
I like to think of it this way...2010-2011, 2011-2012, 2012-2013, 2013-2014....Subban was the MOST underpaid player or dman in the NHL...record breaking underpaid, imo!! Since day 1...his play was equivalent to $6mil to $10mil per year...he's getting a bit of that back now but not all of it!! He has been our *MVP since day 1, imo (*maybe tied with Halak in 2010, imo, still...Subbie was our MVP, imo).

No one in the Habs is as passionate as Subban when it comes to winning in playoffs...no one. So glad it's our Habs that Subban plays for. Would be so jealous and bitter if PK Subban played for the Leaves or Bruins. I would only accept the Oilers or Jets!!? (but never going to happen!).

Last edited:

NHLFutureGuy3

Aug 22, 2008
So he should have taken a pay cut in case he has a bad year? That logic makes zero sense. He took the bridge deal, was underpaid the last two years, he proved himself time and time again now he deserves the raise.

If he becomes public enemy number one for a 50ish point season, then we're an entitled fanbase that ought to be happy he didn't walk on us. Fortunately, I sincerely doubt either the fanbase or Subban will have anything to worry about next season.

The bridge deal was stupid. I think he should have gotten his worth during the negotiations that resulted in the bridge deal. I'm just looking at his contract next year and the year after that. Next year his pay will represent 13% of the cap hit. When he's making double what Pacioretty is making and the team is in a scoring slump, do you think this fan base is going to criticize Pacioretty or Subban? When we want to make a free agent signing and we can't because we are a million short on cap space, again we will be looking at Subban. He will be public enemy number 1 if he has a season like he just had because he's paid like an elite player in the nhl and now he's gotta play like one. I'm not saying it didn't deserve a huge raise but he should have taken a mill off the top for everyone's sake including his own.

Last edited:

shawdowmaker

Dec 20, 2011
Montreal
The bridge deal was stupid. I think he should have gotten his worth during the negotiations that resulted in the bridge deal. I'm just looking at his contract next year and the year after that. Next year his pay will represent 13% of the cap hit. When he's making double what Pacioretty is making and the team is in a scoring slump, do you think this fan base is going to criticize Pacioretty or Subban? When we want to make a free agent signing and we can't because we are a million short on cap space, again we will be looking at Subban. He will be public enemy number 1 if he has a season like he just had because he's paid like an elite player in the nhl and now he's gotta play like one. I'm not saying it didn't deserve a huge raise but he should have taken a mill off the top for everyone's sake including his own.

--

Did you say he should have taken a mill off the top for everyone's sake including his own? Why??? 1. He has an agent guiding him. 2. You don t get to his level by being afraid. 3. Professional sports is a business and in business you don't give away 1mill for "everyone’s sake" 4. MB could have offered PK a better deal 2years ago. 5. Montreal is a much tougher place to play then Nashville or LA...here its hockey 24/7 Like common, French Canadian players don t want to sign here!! Finally we have a player worth watching can we enjoy him without complaining about everything. Kovy was my fav player but I disagree with him big time.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Maybe Gainey should go take one of those famous long walks with Kovy to get his head back in the game.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Well that's why you can't compare eras. I mean, Lafleur used to smoke cigarettes during periods, there's no way he'd be able to do this today.

Kipprusoff is/was a chain smoker back when he sported some of the best goalie stats in the NHL for Calgary.

Stripper

Mar 4, 2013
Yet he can insult a current player for no reason? Maybe I have my PK fan boy hat on but I don't think I've seen a player criticized so much when really he's a huge part of this team's success and was very solid in the playoffs.

First Lafleur now Kovalev. Subban is not the best defensively but he's not the worst by far. You would think by their comments that he's Karlsson bad in his own zone and that is so far from the truth it's not even funny.

Insult or critize? You guys are taking this way too personal for absolutely no reason.

They've played this game long enough to say what ever the **** crosses their minds. Their opinion, in a way, is superior to anyones on these forums because they actually PLAYED hockey, instead of just watching it. They see things from another perspective.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad