Friedman: Kovalchuk Linked to TOR, SJ, STL

one77

Dec 22, 2013
If he comes on a 2-year deal, I hope the Leafs get him. Would look LETHAL with that group.

JVR - Matthews - Marner
Kapanen - Nylander - Kovalchuk
Komarov - Kadri - Brown

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Kovalchuk to St Louis doesn't make any sense, St Louis is already pretty much set at LW they probably need a RW more and Kovalchuk is a LW still think Kovalchuk to San Jose might make some sense.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Kovalchuk would be an interesting add for Columbus, especially if they swing a deal for Duchene as well...Kovy on Wennberg's wing would be money

Antbox530

Feb 2, 2016
because they are an old past their prime team

How many years has that been said now? What did they do last year? With Kovy, they can beat any team in the west or east. Not saying they'd be favorites​, but it wouldn't be a miracle for them to win it all either.
Keep saying in every sharks thread that they're old and washed up though.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I feel like most teams are going to kick the tires on him.

I wouldn't read that much into it.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
During Kovy's time in NJ he played RW. He is perfectly capable of handling that position.

Even then, the Blues top six wingers are Tarasenko, Fabbri, Steen, and Schwartz. One of Fabbri/Steen can play the right side.

I don't see how Kovy is a fit on the Blues, personally.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I doubt he would but Kovi would be smart to do what Radulov did but with the Leafs.
He could ride shotgun with with Matthews/Marner/Nylander/JVR for a year and put up mad points and then leave to cash out with a big contract somewhere.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Even then, the Blues top six wingers are Tarasenko, Fabbri, Steen, and Schwartz. One of Fabbri/Steen can play the right side.

He doesn't...unless he's CHEAP. We can always push Steen down to the 3rd line

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
If he comes on a 2-year deal, I hope the Leafs get him. Would look LETHAL with that group.

JVR - Matthews - Marner
Kapanen - Nylander - Kovalchuk
Komarov - Kadri - Brown

2 yrs is the only terms I accept him for...maybe 3.
Radulov I'd pay $7 for 3yrs too...just to F the Habs.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Gunnarsson (2 years @ 2.9m), Perron (1 year @ 3.75m), & a 1st?

It's risky for whoever does wind up getting him.

God no please no. I understand Perron disappeared in the playoffs but why are we trading one of our 3 natural RW's for another LW in which we are loaded at that position. I understand we really need that scoring addition but I don't want Armstrong to take a flyer on someone else with a relatively high cap hit especially throwing in a 1st on top.

The only main benefit that I see in getting Kovalchuk would be the help on our 2nd PP unit which, yes is definitely needed but at the same time do we really want to give up Perron who was near 50 points to take a flyer on someone who hasn't been in the NHL in a while for more of a cap hit?

Also I really don't think the Blues need to be getting any slower anytime soon, that does not seem beneficial in today's NHL especially after watching them against teams like Calgary last year late in the season when they skated circles around the Blues in 3 on 3 OT (granted that doesn't always happen the 3 on 3 scenario) but there is no real denying that the Blues are not a fast team as we stand right now. I'd rather add more assets in a trade to acquire speed and skill or a Center for Tank.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Is anybody else getting the feeling that Friedman is slowly becoming the new Eklund. I get it that these TV personalities are trying to get the sport we all love talked about but its seems that more and more they are truly just putting junk out there hoping to get hits/discussions.

Kolvy is not the same player he was when he left the NHL, the leafs are in no position to give up assets for a couple of years when we are not yet in the conversation of SC contender. Sorry it just doesn't make sense, hell if we somehow traded for Trouba, Jenner, and neither cost us any of the BIG three and we were able sign Raanta in the Offseason then sure I'd add him and oh ya the Devils want nothing for his rights and he signs for next to nothing. In other words it will only happen on my Playstation!

stavs*

Oct 11, 2010
Toronto
As much as I would love Kovy on the Leafs, I dont see how it can work unless he's willing to take a sweet-heart type deal which i don't see happening.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
I thought that he had played some RW, But most of the sites only list him as a LW instead of both LW/RW which is more accurate.

Once he arrived in NJ they moved him to RW. He rarely played LW after that. Deboer was big on the right shot RW, left shot LW thing. No one ever seemed to play their off wing with him.

Thats understandable.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Toronto-doubt it, Lou is the only common denominator there.
Stl- would have to include lehtera and big-time sweeteners to (sign and trade w/ nj) like kyrou or next year's 1st for a deal to work under the salary cap, even if it goes as high as 77. Would look nasty w/ Steen or statsny centering though...
Sj- probably the best fit of the 3, still in a win-now mode, doubtful to re sign marleau, could include Mueller and a 1st or 2nd next year for 2 yrs of kovy and have one last Hurrah with big Joe before he calls it quits. Though they'd be older, a Thornton -kovy line is still drool worthy.

Honorable mention should go to Vegas and Florida as possible landing spots.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
God no please no. I understand Perron disappeared in the playoffs but why are we trading one of our 3 natural RW's for another LW in which we are loaded at that position. I understand we really need that scoring addition but I don't want Armstrong to take a flyer on someone else with a relatively high cap hit especially throwing in a 1st on top.

The only main benefit that I see in getting Kovalchuk would be the help on our 2nd PP unit which, yes is definitely needed but at the same time do we really want to give up Perron who was near 50 points to take a flyer on someone who hasn't been in the NHL in a while for more of a cap hit?

Also I really don't think the Blues need to be getting any slower anytime soon, that does not seem beneficial in today's NHL especially after watching them against teams like Calgary last year late in the season when they skated circles around the Blues in 3 on 3 OT (granted that doesn't always happen the 3 on 3 scenario) but there is no real denying that the Blues are not a fast team as we stand right now. I'd rather add more assets in a trade to acquire speed and skill or a Center for Tank.

If Perron plays next season with the Blues it will most definitely be his last. He's not a core piece of the Blues. It's true he's a natural RW but Kovalchuk can play RW as well.

Fabbri Barbashev Tarasenko
Schwartz Stastny Kovalchuk
Steen Sanford Sobotka
Berglund Brodziak (Paajarvi, Yakupov, Reaves, Jaskin)

Tarasenko & Kovalchuk would both do better with puck hounds on their line like above.

Perron might be better defensively than Kovalchuk but the move would be made for offense which the Blues always lack.

like I've said already, it's a risk no matter who gets Kovi.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I doubt he would but Kovi would be smart to do what Radulov did but with the Leafs.
He could ride shotgun with with Matthews/Marner/Nylander/JVR for a year and put up mad points and then leave to cash out with a big contract somewhere.

Kovalchuk is 34 now. A one-year deal means any deal signed next summer would be a 35+ contract. The additional risks and baggage inherent to a 35+ contract would likely make the terms of such a deal unappealing to the player.

He wants term and teams want a bargain.. I think the deal he ends up with will be for 2 years at a semi-discount rate ($5-6M).

Farnham4top6

Despres #1D
Mar 6, 2011
north of you
Dreger is in Eklund territory. He has no sources anymore, and it's obvious the Leafs have little interest due to what they have said about personality, character, etc.

No way does Lou bring him back after what he did to him before. It's common sense to anyone who watches the team and know's how Lou acts.
You mean saving him from cap hell

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Kovalchuk is 34 now. A one-year deal means any deal signed next summer would be a 35+ contract. The additional risks and baggage inherent to a 35+ contract would likely make the terms of such a deal unappealing to the player.

He wants term and teams want a bargain.. I think the deal he ends up with will be for 2 years at a semi-discount rate ($5-6M).

Yikes, I didn't realize that. Point taken.

stavs*

Oct 11, 2010
Toronto
McKenzie speculates Kovy will be looking at 2-3 year deal at around 6-7 million.

Give him 2 years. If we're willing to use LTIR this year we can certainly afford it. Next year we have lots of space as it stands. I think we should be trying to get this done if moving JVR is a possibility. I retract my statement above after some thought.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
How many years has that been said now? What did they do last year? With Kovy, they can beat any team in the west or east. Not saying they'd be favorites​, but it wouldn't be a miracle for them to win it all either.
Keep saying in every sharks thread that they're old and washed up though.

This is the first year I have said it because this is the first year I have believed it

but they have finally reached the end of their run

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Seriously. Kovalchuk did Loony Lou and NJ a favor by getting out of that ridiculous contract.

It had to be a mutual split behind the scenes in my opinion. Devils were trending downward. The cap penalty would have only gotten worse if he 'retired' later in the contract. The contract was abysmal. The Devils owner at the time was bankrupt and looking to sell.

It was the best decision for both sides IMO. Devils were only stuck with a 250k cap penalty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad