Friedman: Kovalchuk Linked to TOR, SJ, STL

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
I can't see how the Blues would fit him in under the cap without moving several players.

member 157595

Any idea where Friedman is getting this from?

The only TO-Kovalchuk connection I can see is Lamoriello. He really doesn't fill a need for us (unless we move JVR for RHD and even then the two players' games are hardly alike) and will probably cost too much. If anything I see Montreal (desperate need for scoring, more of a win-now team, connection with Radulov, Russians often like the city, etc) being much more interested than Toronto.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Friedman is going off the premise that those teams have people involved that Kovalchuk knows: Lamoriello, DeBoer, Brodeur.

I think he is way off, personally.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I can't see how the Blues would fit him in under the cap without moving several players.

Maybe Jersey wants some of those players? (not insinuating they do, but they could take some of the Blues problem contracts + some nice assets), and both sides could be happy.

member 157595

Friedman is going off the premise that those teams have people involved that Kovalchuk knows: Lamoriello, DeBoer, Brodeur.

I think he is way off, personally.

I don't know SJ and STL all that well but I can tell you that Kovalchuk is not the best fit in TO without other (very) significant moves taking place, and those moves may or may not make sense.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Kovy would look great on the leafs for 2-3 seasons. Veteran presence, still has one of the better shots in the league, can help lift some weight off our core and teach the kids how to win until they are due for bigger contracts and are ready to do it themselves. Not to discredit the current team by any means, but extra scoring never hurts.

Off Season Could Look Like:

Leafs:James VanRiemsdyk, Seth Griffith (or equal prospect), SJS 2nd 2018
Canucks: Chris Tanev

Leafs:Brendan Leipsic, Nikita Soshnikov, Cond 3rd
Devils: Ilya Kovalchuk (5 mil x 2)

Offence:
Komarov - Matthews - Nylander
Kappanen - - Kadri - Kovalchuk
Brown - - - Bozak - - - - Marner
Hyman - - - Boyle - - - - Martin

or

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Brown - - Kadri - - Kovalchuk
Kappanen - Bozak - Nylander
Komarov - - Boyle - - Martin

Defence:
Rielly - - - - - - - Tanev
Gardiner - - - - - Zaitsev
Dermott/Swede - Carrick
Hunwick

Same Goalies

Looks Like a Contender to Me...

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I saw where reportedly it said that Kovalchuk wanted at least 4 years @ $5 million+ After St Louis signs their RFAs how in the world can they afford Kovalchuk and if Kovalchuk wants that much can't see how Toronto is going to be able to afford to give big money to Nylander, Marner and Matthews.

member 157595

Kovy would look great on the leafs for 2-3 seasons. Veteran presence, still has one of the better shots in the league, can help lift some weight off our core and teach the kids how to win until they are due for bigger contracts and are ready to do it themselves. Not to discredit the current team by any means, but extra scoring never hurts.

Offence:

or

Defence:
Dermott/Swede - Carrick
Hunwick

Same Goalies

For one, I'm pretty sure Kovalchuk is better on the left side. Two, there is absolutely no way in hell Vancouver moves Chris Tanev to TO for a rental and minor parts.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009

Offence:

or

Defence:
Dermott/Swede - Carrick
Hunwick

Same Goalies

Why would the Canucks trade for JVR? If they trade Tanev it's because they want to get younger and commit to a rebuild, so I'm not sure JVR makes much sense.

member 157595

I saw where reportedly it said that Kovalchuk wanted at least 4 years @ $5 million+ After St Louis signs their RFAs how in the world can they afford Kovalchuk and if Kovalchuk wants that much can't see how Toronto is going to be able to afford to give big money to Nylander, Marner and Matthews.

If Kovalchuk wants 4 years at >= 5 million per year he is NOT coming to Toronto.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

I'm sure that's what he wants :laugh:

Realistically, if he gets anything more than 2 years at around $5-6M, I'll be shocked. The situation is already inherently risky; committing 4-year term to this guy is a fireable offense, in my eyes.

If STL is willing to sweeten up a package involving a cap dump, I'm sure Shero would listen.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Maybe Jersey wants some of those players? (not insinuating they do, but they could take some of the Blues problem contracts + some nice assets), and both sides could be happy.

It's possible I guess. NJ is getting their 1C in the draft. They need help on LHD so maybe they take Gunnarsson. They're going to be crowded down the middle with Patrick, Zajac, Henrique, & Zacha. Maybe Perron is of interest?

Lehtera & Gunnarsson are the two players that need to be traded somehow. NJ won't have any interest in Lehtera.

At 34, how much does Kovalchuk have left in the tank? What kind of contract is he looking for? Can he even be trusted to not bolt back to the KHL? I wouldn't mind the Blues taking a flyer on him if the price is right. There's just a lot of ?'s with him. Who knows, maybe Tarasenko has some influence... no idea.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
I don't see the interest from Toronto's perspective - Kova was a phenomenal player but to be fair, spending assets to acquire more scoring isn't the direction Toronto should be sailing towards.

.... They should be looking to acquire defence.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I'm sure that's what he wants :laugh:

Realistically, if he gets anything more than 2 years at around $5-6M, I'll be shocked. The situation is already inherently risky; committing 4-year term to this guy is a fireable offense, in my eyes.

If STL is willing to sweeten up a package involving a cap dump, I'm sure Shero would listen.

Probably the reasoning for the 4 year deal? Is he probably wants to sign one contract and when he's done with that will probably retire that takes him up to 38 years of age but i whole heartily agree with that a 2 year deal is probably what he will receive at the most.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
For the record, he also recently retweeted this bit from Larry Brooks:

I'm not sure how we'd make that happen, but... :dunno:

D3vilsH0ck3y

Jun 10, 2013
Again, more crap offers for Kovy so the acquiring team can plug him into their top line.

As far as the Blues go or anyone else concerned about Cap, The Devils can retain on Kovy.. 3 years 7.5 million total (50% retained on 5 million) is quite a bargain for a potential top line, definite top 6 winger

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
One more issue is he's a LW.

Blues would have Schwartz, Fabbri, Steen, & Kovalchuk as natural LW's. Steen can play RW but I haven't seen the others there.

Kovalchuk Barbashev Tarasenko - figured I'd just go all Russians
Schwartz Stastny Fabbri
Steen Sanford Sobotka
Berglund Brodziak (Paajarvi, Yakupov, Perron*, Jaskin, Reaves,)

I can't figure it out :help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad