Friedman: Kovalchuk Linked to TOR, SJ, STL

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I can see it now. Armstrong calls Kovy. The NHL gets wind of it, calls it tampering. Parayko is awarded to the Devils.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
This could actually potentiall be a really good deal for the Jackets.

Rumors of the Jackets possibly trying to move Clarkson to Vegas(somehow). And I'd imagine in that same deal it would be worked out who Vegas takes(im assuming one of Boone/Anderson/Korpi for taking Clarkson)

We get to keep Hartnell and permanently open up a roster spot while clearing cap space and save real $$ long term.

Doing all of that opens a spot and money for a addition of someone like Kovalchuk who can join the team in a offensive minded role for 2-3 and act as a veteran similar to Hartnell only more skilled.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
If Doug Wilson thinks the Sharks can make another run at this, I could see him being very interested. LW on the line with Thornton and Pavelski was a revolving door last season, but no one really clicked. So, we've got a top-6 LW slot that needs filling, assuming we re-sign Thornton and Marleau.

Yeah, yeah. I know the common wisdom is that the Sharks' window is closed. It may very well be. But people said exactly the same thing before their SCF run too. We'll see, I suppose. Like I said, it comes down to whether or not DW thinks this core can get 1 or 2 more tries at it or not.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
sounds more like Friedman is playing Six Degrees of Ilya Kovalchuk

just listing teams with staff Kovy has played under lol

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
This could actually potentiall be a really good deal for the Jackets.

Rumors of the Jackets possibly trying to move Clarkson to Vegas(somehow). And I'd imagine in that same deal it would be worked out who Vegas takes(im assuming one of Boone/Anderson/Korpi for taking Clarkson)

We get to keep Hartnell and permanently open up a roster spot while clearing cap space and save real $$ long term.

Doing all of that opens a spot and money for a addition of someone like Kovalchuk who can join the team in a offensive minded role for 2-3 and act as a veteran similar to Hartnell only more skilled.

Anderson for Kovy. Yes, please!

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Anderson for Kovy. Yes, please!

Nah. We need to add to our existing forward group, not trade a young, cost controlled player for a vet like this.

What would be an acceptable and realistic return for Kovalchuk from Columbus? Would NJ be willing to retain any of his salary? Would NJ be looking for picks/prospects? I'd offer Vitalii Abramov+'18 2nd Rd Pick+Matt Calvert (for cap reasons)....does that get it done?

Imagine how filthy the CBJ's top-9 would be if they were able to acquire Kovalchuk AND Duchene (also a realistic chance this could happen) in one offseason.

Foligno-Duchene-Atkinson
Saad-Wennberg-Kovalchuk
Jenner-Dubinsky-Bjorkstrand

:popcorn: :D

harv33173

Oct 5, 2003
i thought i read that he decided not to come over this year so he could play in the olympics and also be a free agent next year with i believe no ties to jersey.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
i thought i read that he decided not to come over this year so he could play in the olympics and also be a free agent next year with i believe no ties to jersey.

Reports are all over the place.

I think the major obstacle in waiting a year and then joining whatever team he chooses without NJ being involved is that any such deal would be a 35+ contract. I think teams would be less willing to give out the multi-year, expensive deal he is apparently looking for if it would be a 35+ contract.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Toronto-doubt it, Lou is the only common denominator there.
Stl- would have to include lehtera and big-time sweeteners to (sign and trade w/ nj) like kyrou or next year's 1st for a deal to work under the salary cap, even if it goes as high as 77. Would look nasty w/ Steen or statsny centering though...
Sj- probably the best fit of the 3, still in a win-now mode, doubtful to re sign marleau, could include Mueller and a 1st or 2nd next year for 2 yrs of kovy and have one last Hurrah with big Joe before he calls it quits. Though they'd be older, a Thornton -kovy line is still drool worthy.

Honorable mention should go to Vegas and Florida as possible landing spots.

There is nothing to suggest that the Sharks are doubtful to re-sign Marleau. There are multiple reasons to believe that they will. And when he and Thornton both re-sign following the expansion draft, they can make room through other means to trade for and sign Kovalchuk to the 5 mil cap hit that he is rumored to be seeking.

Also, a Thornton-Kovalchuk line would be the wrong way to go. Both guys need the puck to be effective at what they do. They're better off apart where they can both be the main puck-handler on a line. Hertl-Thornton-Pavelski and Marleau-Couture-Kovalchuk would be a ridiculous top two lines.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I'm not expecting the return to be larger than a 3rd rounder, anything more would be nice. I'd be happy with an ok D prospect as well (not Mirco Mueller).

xxreact9

Jun 4, 2012
Can virtually guarantee Toronto has no interest (or should not) in Kovalchuk.

Why is this fanbase and media continuously thrusting more and more forwards onto the roster.

Their defense is junk. Fix the real problem.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Please no

This is why, I would love Kovalchuck if we were one piece away from serious contention, but I just don't see it for our core

A remotely healthy Sharks team is back in the WCF at least this year. Thornton tearing his ACL and Couture's destroyed mouth were the main reason Edmonton won that series. I agree that the core alone is likely not getting it done due to age, but adding 1-2 proven scorers to supplement Thornton, Pavelski, etc. would get the job done.

I would target both JVR and Kovalchuk if DW really wants to make a run and go for it (which I believe he should). He should either go all in for the Cup or sell all of Pavelski, Couture, Vlasic, Jones, Martin, and Braun (Burns would be added but no one is taking his 8x8 deal). Can't tip toe the half in it for now and half out for the future line. Has to be one or the other, and with the pieces already in place they're 1-2 moves away from being the favorite in the West.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad