Value of: Kovalchuk for your quality young Dman

D3vilsH0ck3y

Jun 10, 2013
Clearly my post went over your head. I'll say it a little more explicitly for you:

If Devils fans (including yourself, given your oh so eloquent post) say the Rangers won't get Kovy.... then that leaves 1 buyer: Columbus. Columbus is also reportedly in on Duchene.

So, there is the 1 buyer I mentioned, and that they were also shopping.

Get it or should I fingerpaint it for you?

Please provide me a source stating he is only talking to columbus and the rangers...

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The scoring difference ten years ago and today is very minimal.

In 2007, we had 7 100-point players and 7 90-point players, including guys at 120 points (Crosby) and 114 points (Thornton). There were also 10 players with 40 goals or more, two of which were at or above 50.

In 2017, we had 1 100-point player and 0 90-point players. Only 3 players had 40 goals or more.

Minimal. Sure.

EDIT: I'll grant you that total goals per game have stayed more or less the same, but that's an indicator that what's going on is the lower lines are improving in talent and taking those points from superstars.

* * *​
I think a lot of you people are missing a key point here about Kovalchuk's value to a contender.

Kovalchuk probably commands at least ~6m a season based on Radulov's contract this past season. He's probably looking for a multi-year term as well, at least 3 years probably. 6M doesn't fit into many serious contenders' cap situations very well.

The Devils can retain 50% of the contract in the trade. I think Kovalchuk at 3m for multiple years is a pretty damn appealing (read: valuable) asset.

If:

1) Kovalchuk wants a multi-year deal

and

2) Cup-favorites want to add him at a very cap-friendly deal

then

He MUST come back this season. And, if so, the Devils hold a tremendous amount of bargaining power. Both over Kovalchuk and his potential suitors.

Okay, that could certainly help a great deal. I honestly did not think of that, and I feel rather ashamed that it didn't occur to me.

Last edited:

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Lebrun is reporting that this is SKA's final push, he hasn't closed the door on the options in either league, and another reporter (Russian) expects them to throw "literally" all of their money at him.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
It makes sense to me that Kovalchuk would sign for one more year with the KHL for a lot of money and then return to the NHL at age 35 as a UFA.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
If SKA is really throwing $10M per year at him, it tells me that his interest in the NHL is real.

It'll be interesting to see where this ends up.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
It makes sense to me that Kovalchuk would sign for one more year with the KHL for a lot of money and then return to the NHL at age 35 as a UFA.

All depends on his motivation - if he wants to try to win a Cup, losing a productive year in the NHL certainly lowers those chances. He also already basically dictates which team he goes to anyway (as long as they make a reasonable offer to NJ), so we'll see...

Steal Your Faceoff

Jan 14, 2016
NJ
All depends on his motivation - if he wants to try to win a Cup, losing a productive year in the NHL certainly lowers those chances. He also already basically dictates which team he goes to anyway (as long as they make a reasonable offer to NJ), so we'll see...

It's almost inconceivable to think money could be the biggest factor in where he plays at this point. He can buy pretty much anything he wants except his name on the cup. Meeting with his KHL team after publicly stating his desire to return to the NHL does make you wonder just where his head is at.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
This is a laughable take. Kovy does not have less power than a RFA.

Uhh he does?

Every single RFA can sign with the KHL.
Every single RFA can sign an offer sheet with any club in the NHL.
Every single RFA can sign with the NHL team that owns their rights.

Kovalchuk can sign with the KHL.
Kovalchuk can not sign with any other club in the NHL.
Kovalchuk can sign with the NHL team that owns his rights.

He absolutely has less options unless you're unable to count..? He can dictate where he plays but RFAs can do the same exact thing if they really wanted to.

It's pretty simple. One NHL team controls if Kovalchuk comes back. There is no situation for an RFA where an NHL team can decide that the player will not be playing in the NHL next year.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
He has already earned about $100 million over his career, and he's going to get paid wherever he plays. Money shouldn't be a factor for him.

RANDOMH3RO

Jan 19, 2007
If kovalchuk truly wants to come back and win in the NHL, the time is now. Can still be a factor but is getting older, if he waits until next season it will be 35+ and won't get a multi year. Devils can retain salary in a trade to a team already spending towards the limit, so this can be beneficial to all parties involved. If he waits a year, he only benefits himself but not as much as he could if they moved now.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Uhh he does?

Every single RFA can sign with the KHL.
Every single RFA can sign an offer sheet with any club in the NHL.
Every single RFA can sign with the NHL team that owns their rights.

Kovalchuk can sign with the KHL.
Kovalchuk can not sign with any other club in the NHL.
Kovalchuk can sign with the NHL team that owns his rights.

He absolutely has less options unless you're unable to count..? He can dictate where he plays but RFAs can do the same exact thing if they really wanted to.

It's pretty simple. One NHL team controls if Kovalchuk comes back. There is no situation for an RFA where an NHL team can decide that the player will not be playing in the NHL next year.
You left out one small thing. If a RFA holds out he is still stuck with that organization. Kovy only has to wait a year for complete freedom. Also, a RFA can be traded to any team the organization wants regardless of the player's wishes. Kovy has the leverage to refuse to sign unless there is a trade waiting to the team of his choice. Again. Saying kovy has less leverage than a RFA is absolutely laughable.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
You left out one small thing. If a RFA holds out he is still stuck with that organization. Kovy only has to wait a year for complete freedom. Also, a RFA can be traded to any team the organization wants regardless of the player's wishes. Kovy has the leverage to refuse to sign unless there is a trade waiting to the team of his choice. Again. Saying kovy has less leverage than a RFA is absolutely laughable.

depends on how much money he wants. KHL will have to pay him $10m for 2017-18 to make it worth his while to settle for a massive multimillion dollar pay-cut in 2018+

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007

Ah, I gotcha now. It wasn't a counting problem, it was a reading problem.

I said Kovalchuk is more restricted than a RFA in response to someone saying he was essentially a free agent.. you've decided to interpret that somehow as power and leverage.

I'll say it again with more simple english: Kovalchuk is not essentially a free agent.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey

YOU left out a FEW things
  • Kovys got good value right now with season he had, 78 pts in 60 gms
  • Any team signing him for more than 1 yr has to worry about bolting because of the 35+ contract
  • Kovy came to us, not the opposite
  • His teamates are all coming to play on NHL teams
  • If Kovy wants to play next yr in the NHL he can only go through us

All the complaints of he's old NOW, what does 2 seasons from NOW mean for his age?

No but your right

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
I forgot to even consider that if he put's up any less than 70 pts next KHL season - like his previous averages over there - it will be seen as regression and he'll get even less. yikes

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
There are also reports he will only go to CBS or NYR. Most Devils fans on here say that he will never go to the Rangers.

CBS is also rumoured to be in on Duchene, and have a greater need at C.

Seems like there's 1 potential buyer, that is also shopping elsewhere.

Sorry, the market is limited and thus so will the return.

It's in poor taste to make things up.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Wouldn't a team have to take him at his current cap Hit if Jersey still has him under contract

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad