Value of: Kovalchuk for your quality young Dman

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
The league ten years ago is not the same league it is now, so a straight up stats comparison is inappropriate. Ten years ago, Panarin would likely be in that 40-50 goal category as well.

The scoring difference ten years ago and today is very minimal.

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
You'd think that if he was interested in coming to Boston that he'd be a great fit with Krejci. Bruins have a lot of high end prospects but I'm not familiar enough with what the Devils needs are outside of a top four NHL ready defenseman and I just don't see that as being his true value.

Lauzon or Lindgren?

Good young defense prospects.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
So the team who wants his services is going to negotiate the contract with Kovalchuk...my thought is the Devils should receive a return in line with the salary Kovalchuk receives...

For example a RFA offer sheet compensation. Now an RFA is a young player so compensation shouldn't be the same for a 24 year old as a 34 year old but you can see the scale based on how much a team is willing to pay Kovalchuk would make sense

$1,295,571 to $1,962,968 Third-round pick

$1,962,968 to $3,925,975 Second-round pick

$3,925,975 to $5,888,960 First and third-round picks

$5,888,960 to $7,851,948 First, second and third-round picks

Just a thought on measuring the value.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Because he essentially has a NMC and can threaten the devils with staying in the khl if they won't send him to his desired team. That caps his value big time. The devils can only play hard ball for so long or risk getting nothing. This isn't a normal situation where they can force kovy to play for them until the deadline and try again.

Two things give the Devils significant leverage.

1). 35+ rule: Kovy is 34. Next year teams will be far more wary to sign a player in his position to a multi-year deal for significant money due to very significant recapture penalties that would be associated with the contract. He can wait until next year, but he would be kissing goodbye the kind of contract he wants.

2). Cap retention: If Kovy waits until next year and signs as a UFA, the signing team gets the entire cap hit. If he really wants a contender, he'll get significantly less, or he'll have to settle for a team with little to no shot at a Cup - like Vegas. The Devils have plenty of cap space, so for example could sign him to a $5 million contract and then retain the maximum allowed - I think around half.

Sure Kovy can go back to the KHL this year and the Devils get nothing, but Kovy blows a big hole in his own market value in the process. Don't believe for a second that he doesn't fully understand that.

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
Boston has LHD's Zboril, Lindgren and Lauzon from the last WJC's all looking to replace Chara next year as the LHD in the top 4.

I'd assume a prospect like that (or is the right side the target?) where the talks should be going?

LD is definitely preferred

ClevelandJacketFan

Awesome Mascots!
Nov 1, 2007
...Really?
So Im confused on the whole situation...

Kovy is coming back and essientially will be a free agent. NJ is just the catalyst to get him to team x. Why should NJ be expecting any compensation over a middle to late round pick? The alternative is that NJ gets nothing and Kovy stays in the KHL.

Guess Im not sure why NJ should expect any value in this situation. Is there any precedent for this situation?

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off

Kovy is coming back and essientially will be a free agent. NJ is just the catalyst to get him to team x. Why should NJ be expecting any compensation over a middle to late round pick? The alternative is that NJ gets nothing and Kovy stays in the KHL.

Guess Im not sure why NJ should expect any value in this situation. Is there any precedent for this situation?

Because such a team could possibly consider him that piece to make them a true contender and if the offer is only a 5th round pick, why bother helping someone get better if they won't help you. If that team is fine with waiting another year and signing him to a 35+ contract, so be it.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Read my post above.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007

that alternative is also Kovy doesn't get to play in the NHL and a team who thought they needed Kovy doesn't get to have him.

if you somehow think the Devils are the only team with something to lose here, you're badly mistaken. If anything, they have the least to lose.

He's also not essentially a free agent. He's the farthest thing from a free agent considering he can only sign with one team. Even RFAs have more negotiating power than he will as they can sign offer sheets... so he's more restricted than a restricted free agent, I guess :laugh:

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
that alternative is also Kovy doesn't get to play in the NHL and a team who thought they needed Kovy doesn't get to have him.

if you somehow think the Devils are the only team with something to lose here, you're badly mistaken. If anything, they have the least to lose.

He's also not essentially a free agent. He's the farthest thing from a free agent considering he can only sign with one team. Even RFAs have more negotiating power than he will as they can sign offer sheets... so he's more restricted than a restricted free agent, I guess :laugh:
This is a laughable take. Kovy does not have less power than a RFA.

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
I honestly think that the Devils fans will be in for a real shock with what they get for Kovalchuk's rights.

No team is going to ridiculously overpay for someone who wants to come to the NHL but doesn't want to play for the team that holds his rights.

This is literally a free asset for the Devils so they can either get greedy and be left with nothing or negotiate a respectable offer.

Last edited:

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
I honestly think that the Devils fans will be in for a real shock with what they get for Kovalchuk's rights.

No team is going to ridiculously overpay for someone who wants to come to the NHL but doesn't want to play for the team that holds his rights.

This is literally a free asset for the Devils so they can either get greedy and be left with nothing or negotiate a respectable offer.

Someone will be (NJ fans or fans from other clubs), and it won't be for his rights.... :)

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I've heard Ryan Murray, who will raise?

My expectations are not sky-high, but I want a good young Dman.

That's absurd. I doubt RM would be offered for IK and if he was, that's the best damn offer you should hope to get.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Yeah seriously doubt that any GM out there, Is going to give up a quality young D man for a 34 year old Kovalchuk. When all is said and done you might get a late 1st or a 2nd rounder for him. Doubt much more.

Steal Your Faceoff

Jan 14, 2016
NJ

Sure, some people are overestimating what he might bring back but some people treat the whole scenario with him like it's more of a problem for NJ than a benefit. The fact that he wants to play for a contender doesn't give those teams that want him leverage as long as there is at least two teams trying to acquire him. He is a free asset for NJ and while there is a specific date as to the earliest any deal can be made there is nothing forcing them to make a deal at that time.

We will most likely find out just how much someone wants him in short time.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
That's a brutally stupid analogy

Well, play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Want a analogy, how would devil fans feel if I started a trade thread title "Ryan Murray for Top six forward" then in the OP "heard Taylor Hall, who's willing to beat that offer".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad