Value of: Kovalchuk for your quality young Dman

D3vilsH0ck3y

Jun 10, 2013
I honestly think that the Devils fans will be in for a real shock with what they get for Kovalchuk's rights.

No team is going to ridiculously overpay for someone who wants to come to the NHL but doesn't want to play for the team that holds his rights.

This is literally a free asset for the Devils so they can either get greedy and be left with nothing or negotiate a respectable offer.

Then he will be playing In Russia next season. The Devils are not accepting anything less than a late first or 2nd and Prospect. If it's not there and the options are either a 5th round pick or back to Russia, it's going to be the ladder and every Devils fan will be more than OK

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
This is a laughable take. Kovy does not have less power than a RFA.

...He has zero power. Shero can literally say nah and Kovy has to wait a full year to come over and he'd then be 35. The Devils hold the cards here. If Shero doesn't wanna make the deal, there's absolutely nothing Kovy can do about it.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Well, play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Want a analogy, how would devil fans feel if I started a trade thread title "Ryan Murray for Top six forward" then in the OP "heard Taylor Hall, who's willing to beat that offer".

They'd probably wonder what this has to do with Kovalchuk since obviously Hall has more value than Murray and Kovalchuk which is why we're discussing Kovalchuk and not Hall.

TheBPA

Jul 1, 2004
Sure, some people are overestimating what he might bring back but some people treat the whole scenario with him like it's more of a problem for NJ than a benefit. The fact that he wants to play for a contender doesn't give those teams that want him leverage as long as there is at least two teams trying to acquire him. He is a free asset for NJ and while there is a specific date as to the earliest any deal can be made there is nothing forcing them to make a deal at that time.

We will most likely find out just how much someone wants him in short time.

He is a free asset for NJ...but the clock is ticking. If they can't make a deal this offseason he'll be a UFA and they lose any benefit.

There's some pressure on both sides here.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
I think a lot of you people are missing a key point here about Kovalchuk's value to a contender.

Kovalchuk probably commands at least ~6m a season based on Radulov's contract this past season. He's probably looking for a multi-year term as well, at least 3 years probably. 6M doesn't fit into many serious contenders' cap situations very well.

The Devils can retain 50% of the contract in the trade. I think Kovalchuk at 3m for multiple years is a pretty damn appealing (read: valuable) asset.

If:

1) Kovalchuk wants a multi-year deal

and

2) Cup-favorites want to add him at a very cap-friendly deal

then

He MUST come back this season. And, if so, the Devils hold a tremendous amount of bargaining power. Both over Kovalchuk and his potential suitors.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
He is a free asset for NJ...but the clock is ticking. If they can't make a deal this offseason he'll be a UFA and they lose any benefit.

It'll be interesting to see how his 35+ 2018 contract compares after taking a year off of professional hockey.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
They'd probably wonder what this has to do with Kovalchuk since obviously Hall has more value than Murray and Kovalchuk which is why we're discussing Kovalchuk and not Hall.

No, it would be a thread full of replies devaluing Murray because the OP premise was outrageous. And then I would need to act like a jilted lover and resort to going to extremes like "if he's not worth Hall then we won't trade him for crap." The reason you are hearing this stuff is because most posters only read the OP then post their thoughts. You have no one to blame for this thread full of posters calling Kovy crap because of the assumption made in the op.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey

The clock can't start ticking until July 1st.
Shero told Kovy and his agent go find teams, I assume they did, wouldn't you?
Kovy came off a good season, and is trying to cash in on it. KHL teams are somewhat a mess. Next yr its a recapture penalty if he bolts on a 35+ contract. He's a year older

It'll be interesting to see how his 35+ 2018 contract compares after taking a year off of professional hockey.
You mean 5 yrs off from pro hockey
:naughty::naughty:

I think a lot of you people are missing a key point here about Kovalchuk's value to a contender.

Kovalchuk probably commands at least ~6m a season based on Radulov's contract this past season. He's probably looking for a multi-year term as well, at least 3 years probably. 6M doesn't fit into many serious contenders' cap situations very well.

The Devils can retain 50% of the contract in the trade. I think Kovalchuk at 3m for multiple years is a pretty damn appealing (read: valuable) asset.

If:

and

then

He MUST come back this season. And, if so, the Devils hold a tremendous amount of bargaining power. Both over Kovalchuk and his potential suitors.

CAN WE PIN THIS TO THE TOP OF EVERY KOVY THREAD

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I honestly think that the Devils fans will be in for a real shock with what they get for Kovalchuk's rights.

No team is going to ridiculously overpay for someone who wants to come to the NHL but doesn't want to play for the team that holds his rights.

This is literally a free asset for the Devils so they can either get greedy and be left with nothing or negotiate a respectable offer.

Maybe a handful will, but most of us are expecting a modest return along the lines of a 2nd round pick and a decent prospect.

ONE Devils fan mentions Murray, and some people somehow translate that into all Devils fans. :shakehead

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

If:

and

then

Devils can retain, but it better be a very good package coming back. The cap space doesn't mean much, but the $3MM per year in real money in your scenario sure does.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
No, it would be a thread full of replies devaluing Murray because the OP premise was outrageous. And then I would need to act like a jilted lover and resort to going to extremes like "if he's not worth Hall then we won't trade him for crap." The reason you are hearing this stuff is because most posters only read the OP then post their thoughts. You have no one to blame for this thread full of posters calling Kovy crap because of the assumption made in the op.

The premise of the OP isn't outrageous though. You seem to be getting so worked up that you're overlooking the facts.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
You're right. It's not like these arguments are based on media reports that multiple teams are calling about him. But hey, good try.

There are also reports he will only go to CBS or NYR. Most Devils fans on here say that he will never go to the Rangers.

CBS is also rumoured to be in on Duchene, and have a greater need at C.

Seems like there's 1 potential buyer, that is also shopping elsewhere.

Sorry, the market is limited and thus so will the return.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
does he have to be young cause mark fayne is a beast

D3vilsH0ck3y

Jun 10, 2013
There are also reports he will only go to CBS or NYR. Most Devils fans on here say that he will never go to the Rangers.

Wrong the return will be zero if the rangers are the only potential buyer. You can't honestly believe the Devils would trade him to the rangers would you? If the answer in yes, it's time to get a new hobby because you are clearly lost when it comes to hockey

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009

As a Columbus fan, I'd be interested in hearing these reports that he is down to NYR or CBJ.

Wrong the return will be zero if the rangers are the only potential buyer. You can't honestly believe the Devils would trade him to the rangers would you? If the answer in yes, it's time to get a new hobby because you are clearly lost when it comes to hockey

Getting a pick is better than getting nothing. Also, Kovalchuk probably has only 2 or 3 years of productivity left. The Devils are at least 2 years away from competing for a playoff spot. Trading him to the Rangers would hurt them in the short term but who cares since they're rebuilding.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
He's meeting with SKA, so maybe the <totally legitimate business friends> have found some <totally legitimate leverage> making this whole ordeal a moot point

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

Clearly my post went over your head. I'll say it a little more explicitly for you:

If Devils fans (including yourself, given your oh so eloquent post) say the Rangers won't get Kovy.... then that leaves 1 buyer: Columbus. Columbus is also reportedly in on Duchene.

So, there is the 1 buyer I mentioned, and that they were also shopping.

Get it or should I fingerpaint it for you?

Steal Your Faceoff

Jan 14, 2016
NJ

It seems evident that Columbus is building to take their team to the next level. Any deal where they would try and get Duchene would surely cost them a key piece or pieces to their current lineup. That's a steeper price than Kovy would cost them and one they cant really afford.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Clearly my post went over your head. I'll say it a little more explicitly for you:

If Devils fans (including yourself, given your oh so eloquent post) say the Rangers won't get Kovy.... then that leaves 1 buyer: Columbus. Columbus is also reportedly in on Duchene.

So, there is the 1 buyer I mentioned, and that they were also shopping.

Get it or should I fingerpaint it for you?

Kovalchuk has talked to multiple teams in the NHL and other leagues

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad