Prospect Info: Korshkov stays in Russia

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
He had a disappointing season. He looks worse than Zaitsev. That might be why he stayed. Perhaps he knew the Leafs lost a bit of interest?

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
I think Korshkov is going to be a primary offensive guy for the team next season and with the clutter that already exists for the Marlies next year, this isn't the worst option of the guy.

We know he wants to be in the NHL soon though as reflected by the fact that he only signed a 1 year deal to stay in Russia. If he had no intention of committing or becoming a UFA, he would've signed a longer deal.

I think our biggest two prospects in Russia are Chebykin and Korshkov. If we can somehow manage to bring them both in after next season, we can roll a dynamic big bodied duo of Russian wingers in the lineup (Marlies or Leafs).

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Good. Perhaps the main advantage of Russian picks is the longer signing period.
Why burn ELC years when we can leave there to come over when they are ready to contribute while making peanuts againts the cap?

Signing at both 22 and 23 dictate a 2 year elc. Signing this year would be 22, next year 23. By leaving him there another season we get a more developed elc player for a time period that we will be more stretched for cap space

Last edited:
Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I think Korshkov is going to be a primary offensive guy for the team next season and with the clutter that already exists for the Marlies next year, this isn't the worst option of the guy.

We know he wants to be in the NHL soon though as reflected by the fact that he only signed a 1 year deal to stay in Russia. If he had no intention of committing or becoming a UFA, he would've signed a longer deal.

I think our biggest two prospects in Russia are Chebykin and Korshkov. If we can somehow manage to bring them both in after next season, we can roll a dynamic big bodied duo of Russian wingers in the lineup (Marlies or Leafs).
You'd hope our 31st overall pick, especially an overager, would be able to play a top 6 role in the AHL given the promotion of Johnsson and Kap.

Reactions: Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Probably, but I'm betting we'll be getting a Mess hot take about how it was stupid to draft this guy because he's staying in Russia permanently and we should have taken someone else...

The Russian factor never bothered me (still doesn’t). He wasn’t going to play for the Leafs next season anyways, so him spending another year in the KHl is fine by me.

That said I do think his selection will remain a bit controversial for Hunter simply because he was the top pick of the 2nd round, Leafs had the entire draft class as their option so I do hope he lives up to where he was chosen.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
You'd hope our 31st overall pick, especially an overager, would be able to play a top 6 role in the AHL given the promotion of Johnsson and Kap.
I meant he's going to be the top option for the KHL team. Russian players have a ton of loyalty to their teams and I think it's a big deal for him to be the top dog on his team. He'd easily be the Marlies top player when he comes over but I think right now he's got something left to prove to himself in the KHL before he thinks about making the jump to NA for good. This is his last hurrah.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Hoping he could do it is one thing. It being the smart move rather than fan appeasement/ pick vindication is quite another
What's the smart move though? Have to say it's not a good sign if he can't make our Marlies top 6 next year.

If it's about money that's one thing, if he can't get a spot he's behind schedule (well behind). Keep in mind he turns 22 this summer.

Reactions: Faltorvo

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca

This is interesting. I wonder what changed to cause this

If I had to guess, he might have expected an NHL spot due to some other wingers leaving. Otherwise, I'd have no clue

One factor people always overlook is Leafs management's message to the player. Maybe they decided it will be better for him to play in KHL and it would be better for his development rather than unknown minutes in AHL. Just like Anderas Johnsson, it's pretty nice when you get a player who is muthc more mature and ready for the majors rather than an 19 year old that you need to manage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad