Prospect Info: Korshkov stays in Russia

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
That's the problem with Russians playing pro in the KHL, Playing on the Marlies isn't exactly exciting.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
lol, Mike in Buffalo, with the inside scoop.
Meaning no disrespect to Mike in Buffalo, his scoop was someone's Twitter. I don't think following Twitter is a scoop. Or was that tongue in cheek, and I just don't know Mike in Buffalo?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
This is fine. We all would want to see him playing in the AHL for selfish reasons, but there’s no harm in him spending another year in the KHL, especially if he feels they are giving him a top role on the team

Reactions: Kurtz

Prince N

Nov 18, 2014
Smart move for all. Most likely will make more monies in Russia and 100% won't be considered for the Leafs next year.

Reactions: Kurtz

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
This is fine. We all would want to see him playing in the AHL for selfish reasons, but there’s no harm in him spending another year in the KHL, especially if he feels they are giving him a top role on the team

Yep the KHL is a good place to develop if the kids getting plenty of opportunities (which he will)

As long as he comes over when we need him and have the space to put him on our NHL roster I'm fine with him staying where he is

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Meaning no disrespect to Mike in Buffalo, his scoop was someone's Twitter. I don't think following Twitter is a scoop. Or was that tongue in cheek, and I just don't know Mike in Buffalo?
Tongue in cheek, I'm sure.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
I was hoping we would draft Hart or Debrincat. I didn’t know much about him when we drafted him but I do like his game. This is the gamble you take when drafting Russians but I think we have to wait at least 2 years before making a judgement call. These bigger players take longer to develop and I think he may not be 100% over his injury.
I wanted Kyrou...Still do...

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
These Russians don't seem to want to do that.
Then we shouldn't draft them.
I would have been happy with Tyler Benson, even though he may end up being a bust.
Drafting lower profile Russians has a double whammy, they may not turn out, and if they do, they may not come to NA.
feh

Reactions: 95

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

I've said for a while now that Korshkov has shown little interest in coming to NA (even right after being drafted), and am not surprised in the least he resigned to play at home.

Hunter using #31 pick to take a 20 year old player passed over 2 X already without doing his homework was a big msitake.

I had Brandon Dman Kale Clague on my wish list as BPA.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Grundstrom and Johnson are front runners to make the team on LW next year. Korshkov would probably come in when Marleau expires.

Reactions: Anthrax442

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Was this a mutual decision between player and team?
Expansion draft?

Yegor Korshkov: Leafs were OK with my decision but obviously weren’t glad. My position is I should have a leading role in Lokomotiv to leave the KHL. Who knows, maybe in a year I will reach my goal.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
If he intended on staying in Russia long-term, he likely would have signed a multi-year deal (2-3 years). A bit bothersome for the staff I would imagine given his draft position (and overage status when selected), but I trust Hunter did his due diligence in probing Korshkov's desire to cross the pond. Probably is an AHL/NHL thing - which is fine, I guess. If he comes over and slots into an NHL position next year no one will care anyways.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
If he intended on staying in Russia long-term, he likely would have signed a multi-year deal (2-3 years). A bit bothersome for the staff I would imagine given his draft position (and overage status when selected), but I trust Hunter did his due diligence in probing Korshkov's desire to cross the pond. Probably is an AHL/NHL thing - which is fine, I guess. If he comes over and slots into an NHL position next year no one will care anyways.
What about NHL lockout?:D

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Debrincat, Asplund and Abramov taken shortly after.

Probably the worst pick of the Shanahan era considering other players available.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

He wants to have a big year in the KHL and then get his big $$ contract.. Kind of like an NHLer taking a bridge contract to try and have a big year to earn a bigger contract.

If Korshkov has a big year in KHL and they offer him $3 mil a year tax free to stay home is he coming to Toronto on an ELC making <$1 mil in NHL and $100k in AHL?

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Debrincat, Asplund and Abramov taken shortly after.

Probably the worst pick of the Shanahan era considering other players available.
calm down. Korshkov has size and skill. He will eventually come to the NHL. And if you were gonna use anyone use Kyrou not Debrincat lol

Reactions: Anthrax442

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
He wants to have a big year in the KHL and then get his big $$ contract.. Kind of like an NHLer taking a bridge contract to try and have a big year to earn a bigger contract.

If Korshkov has a big year in KHL and they offer him $3 mil a year tax free to stay home is he coming to Toronto on an ELC making <$1 mil in NHL and $100k in AHL?

It depends if his dream was to ever play in the NHL.

Again, I would assume Hunter did his background check on a player like this. It's a possibility that Korskhov fooled him into believing he would do whatever the Leafs wanted and if that's the case I'm sure his rights will be moved to a team willing to wait for him.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Knocks this prospect down a peg in my books. There are openings on the 2018-19 Leafs without doubt. Those openings may not exist on the 2019-20 Leafs. Expansion draft considerations may be a valid thought although we all know that the next expansion draft protection rules aren't going to be the same.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Yegor Korshkov: Leafs were OK with my decision but obviously weren’t glad. My position is I should have a leading role in Lokomotiv to leave the KHL. Who knows, maybe in a year I will reach my goal.

Good for him.

The most important person in your life should be you.

To paraphrase "The Holiday", "You're supposed to be the leading player (lady) of your own life."

If / when he comes to the Leafs it will be because it is the right thing for Korshkov, and therefore the right thing for the Leafs.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Good for him.

The most important person in your life should be you.

To paraphrase "The Holiday", "You're supposed to be the leading player (lady) of your own life."

If / when he comes to the Leafs it will be because it is the right thing for Korshkov, and therefore the right thing for the Leafs.

that's fine, but I don't think a guy who frankly isn't a premium prospect is really in charge of this situation. The Leafs probably would have preferred to take a look at him, sure...but I really doubt he was making the team next season, as Korshkov is doubtless well aware. this move probably doesn't do him any favours in terms of his Leaf career -- this won't be an easy lineup to crack at the forward position for a while.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
that's fine, but I don't think a guy who frankly isn't a premium prospect is really in charge of this situation. The Leafs probably would have preferred to take a look at him, sure...but I really doubt he was making the team next season, as Korshkov is doubtless well aware. this move probably doesn't do him any favours in terms of his Leaf career -- this won't be an easy lineup to crack at the forward position for a while.

No doubt from the Leafs perspective they would want to be able to control your life down to whether or not you have facial hair.

Fortunately, we don't live in a society that allows employers that right, as you can just chose to work elsewhere.

I will always side with the individual, over the corporation.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
No doubt from the Leafs perspective they would want to be able to control your life down to whether or not you have facial hair.

Fortunately, we don't live in a society that allows employers that right, as you can just chose to work elsewhere.

I will always side with the individual, over the corporation.

Okay.

I don't think doing this gets him closer to being a Leaf, is all...and at 31, we probably kinda thought he would be sooner rather than later.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Okay.

I don't think doing this gets him closer to being a Leaf, is all...and at 31, we probably kinda thought he would be sooner rather than later.

I know. I want him over here ... now!

But I support his right to decide when/if he comes over.

As much as we'd love all players to feel obligated to teams that draft them, we also understand teams are under no obligation to give every drafted player an opportunity.

So we'd be hypocrites to suggest the players owes more to the team than the team owes to the player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad