Kopitar hits 80 points

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Don't you know the world revolves around the Maple Leafs? Can't bother with them lol.

The fact that nhl twitter has barkov/marchand but not kopitar is laughable...
right now my top 3 would be
Kucherov Mackinnon Kopitar

malkin/hall close.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It doesn't take much to offend people these days and so far, it looks like only one poster got his feathers ruffled by my comment.

Couldn't it be said that you started the thread the way that you did because your feathers were ruffled by people doubting Kopitar after last year and not giving him recognition because they live on the East Coast?

Was I wrong to take a shot at the East/Central players? The tweet I posted above proves my point. I have no problem with people criticizing Kopitar but when you pick his worst season of his career to post about and disregard the rest then yah that's a problem.

The point is that you were the one who brought up last season by implying that people wrote him off over the Summer because of it. You made it part of the topic of conversation, so people shouldn't be faulted for addressing it. You also called out some people, so people shouldn't be faulted for talking back. I'm sure that the manner in which Sky04 replied was directly influenced by the manner that you started the thread. To your credit, you haven't exactly argued back with him, so I'm not really trying to criticize you, but a few other fans took issue with him and that's prompted me to stand up for him.

FWIW, ten people have "liked" Sky04's initial reply and I'm sure that more people would've offered their own counter-argument or just played devil's advocate if they weren't afraid of looking like a jerk. It's a Kopitar appreciation thread, after all, and most people would probably like to keep the discussion positive and complimentary to him.

Last edited:

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Crazy to think Barkov is pretty much already the same if not better player than Kopitar's prime and he's 8 years younger. I'd give the edge to Kopitar for Selke this year because he's carrying his team to the playoffs but Sasha has better offensive tools, and he's not too far off defensively at the age of 22.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Well he's not like Kucherov who only cherry picks on the most loaded team in the NHL. Kopitar got that contract because he also won the team two cups. Something team like the Lightning have failed to do repeatedly.

Kopitar deserves all the money and the recognition. There's very few players who can touch his accomplishments and carries the team like he does.

Not even remotely true about Kucherov. He almost dragged the Lightning to the playoffs by himself last year.

74 games, 40 goals, 85 points. Without Stamkos and on a injury riddled Lightning team. So you're just so wrong about Kucherov.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
People moaning about his big contract need to remember that what he is being paid isn't a reflection of straight up production, part of it is his reward for being a star player who helped lead his team to two Stanley Cup wins. Same as Toews and Kane making bank after three Cup wins. If they slow down a few years later too bad, they're still champions that should be appreciated by their fans for what they've done for the franchise.

Any time I see Hawks or Kings fans complain about these big contracts I want to slap them. Short memories? Appreciate what you have! Some of us have been waiting decades for Cups and superstars with fingers full of championship rings that we can overpay.

justonetime

Mar 13, 2009
Crazy to think Barkov is pretty much already the same if not better player than Kopitar's prime and he's 8 years younger. I'd give the edge to Kopitar for Selke this year because he's carrying his team to the playoffs but Sasha has better offensive tools, and he's not too far off defensively at the age of 22.

How is Barkov better offensively than Kopitar? How is Barkov better than Kopitar in his prime(right now)?

Reactions: KingTrouty

justonetime

Mar 13, 2009
People moaning about his big contract need to remember that what he is being paid isn't a reflection of straight up production, part of it is his reward for being a star player who helped lead his team to two Stanley Cup wins. Same as Toews and Kane making bank after three Cup wins. If they slow down a few years later too bad, they're still champions that should be appreciated by their fans for what they've done for the franchise.

Any time I see Hawks or Kings fans complain about these big contracts I want to slap them. Short memories? Appreciate what you have! Some of us have been waiting decades for Cups and superstars with fingers full of championship rings that we can overpay.

Most of the people in this thread commenting on his contract are using it as a way to put him down, and they aren't Kings fans. While some Kings fans certainly need to read your post they aren't here in this thread.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
You mean, Kopitar at age 20 netted 36 points more than Barkov at the same age. Now 11 years later he is still at that same level but somehow you manage to use this against him.

Thats crazy indeed.

Barkov can only hope he will have a similar career and who knows even better.

Reactions: Kylo Ren

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011

Barkov is already better than Kopitar when Kopitar is outscoring him by 10 points and will win the Selke on top of scoring over a PPG pace?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Those who wrote him off in the summer please step up.

He's killing it this season. It's the best season of his career and he's one point away from tying his career high of 81 points. Hands down he has been the kings MVP this season; he took on the load when Carter went down and it's crazy that the second player with the most points is Doughty with 51! He has been amazing though it sucks that the Eastern/central players always get more hyped up by the media since by the time the kings hit the ice they are asleep. Hope he gets the recognition he deserves.

Giroux was also written off and is up to 83 points.

Glad to see both bounce back and give a middle finger to the haters.

OldGreatWestern

Aug 27, 2008

Barkov is 22 and has 70 (games left). When Kopitar was 22 he scored 81.

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017
Most of the people in this thread commenting on his contract are using it as a way to put him down, and they aren't Kings fans. While some Kings fans certainly need to read your post they aren't here in this thread.
you must be a new kings fan if you dont think kings fans put him donw.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
He makes 10m a year... This level of play should be expected year in and out not sure what you want credit for? A player doing their job for what they're paid for? He took 10m home last year and delivered 12 goals and 52 points.

Kopitar has the 2nd highest salary in the league these past 2 years.

He won 2 Stanley cups. and he was awesome in both runs. which of your team's highest paid players have done that?
TWO Stanley cups? two years apart?

that's what I thought.

I take a 1C like that for 10M every day of the week.

Reactions: Kingspiracy

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
You could argue he is still underperforming based on his AAV, but congrats on the rest of the team being useless and him carrying them to the 15th overall pick guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad