Kopitar hits 80 points

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
There it is! Don't try to compare Kadri and Kopitar, it won't end well.
Just stating the fact that he had the worst season of his career, right after receiving a 10M contract. Kadri did his job at less than half the price.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I find it oddly convenient that people only seem to remember last year for him for some reason and use that to define the player they think he is.

Context. Kopitar, last year aside, led the Kings in scoring for literally a decade. The Kings have been a massively defensive team and we haven't had a PPG player since Palffy.

He quietly scores at a 73 points a year pace nonetheless, with Selke-level 200 foot play, and despite eating all the hardest minutes and matchups the Kings have had to offer over the years. He's one of the most consistent players in the NHL, and one of the most durable, given he's played 82 games a year 5 times, and less than 75 only once, his rookie year (and lockout year I guess), plus lots of playoffs, Olympics, World Cup, etc.

This year in particular, we find it remarkable that he's able to do all of the above but at a 92 point pace without Jeff Carter to remove some of the heat from him most of the year and while his own linemates have scored 32 and 55 points less than him. So we'd like to celebrate that. Should be easy to enjoy because it's Anze, one of the most universally liked and respected guys in hockey, but apparently not for you.

Huh? Where did I say he isn't respected or liked by others let alone myself? Stop being offended being he isn't being praised on hands and knees for delivering on his contract - jeez new generation wants a pat on the back for everything? I'm glad he's doing well but on a performance vs caphit/salary level, he's not doing anything he shouldn't be.

You guys make it seem like he's doing well above his paygrade.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Huh? Where did I say he isn't respected or liked by others let alone myself? Stop being offended being he isn't being praised on hands and knees for delivering on his contract - jeez new generation wants a pat on the back for everything? I'm glad he's doing well but on a performance vs caphit/salary level, he's not doing anything he shouldn't be.

The old generation gets offended at the young generation getting offended.

A bad loop we're in.

justonetime

Mar 13, 2009

This thread is about Kopitar having a great year, not you projecting your dislike for a certain generation and how you perceive they judge people. It's okay to praise the guy for having the best season of his career which he's playing at an MVP caliber level. You've made 4? posts already with your opinion. Others aren't wrong for praising him.

Reactions: KingTrouty

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
This thread is about Kopitar having a great year, not you projecting your dislike for a certain generation and how you perceive they judge people. It's okay to praise the guy for having the best season of his career which he's playing at an MVP caliber level. You've made 4? posts already with your opinion. Others aren't wrong for praising him.

This thread is about Kopitar and his season not you projecting your opinion about my opinion that's irrelevant to the thread - please stay on topic just one time.

justonetime

Mar 13, 2009
This thread is about Kopitar and his season not you projecting your opinion about my opinion that's irrelevant to the thread - please stay on topic just one time.

Good chat.

Anyways, back to the fantastic season Kopitar is having.

I think the change of coaching a philosophy in LA has had a large impact on Kopitar finally putting up the points a lot of people thought he could. Having a year of Pierre Turgeon giving him pointers up top might be making a difference to, there is a noticeable difference in his willingness to drive the puck to the middle and just completely control the game. While he is getting a little older and might not be as "valuable" by HF standards he is currently one of the most impactful player in the league for his team.

Dabruins

Mar 15, 2003
Canada
Bergy has been out to long this year and others are having career years as well. I think Kopitar and Barkov are having MVP type seasons. Just as Bergy was when he was healthy and basically on the same pace as these two. I mean the Bruins with a healthy Bergy and without is night and day. I think our GAA has almost doubled lol. But having said that, were like 7-2 without Bergeron... I dont think that happens to FLA or LA if Barkov or Kopitar go down. They simply dont have the supporting cast and are carrying their entire team into possibly playoffs.

Like many have said this years Hart race is just crazy. Not only do you have the offensive super stars clamoring for it (Malkin, MacKinnon, Hall etc) but you have the selke level two way beast centers all having career years as well (except for Toews).

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Good chat.

Anyways, back to the fantastic season Kopitar is having.

I think the change of coaching a philosophy in LA has had a large impact on Kopitar finally putting up the points a lot of people thought he could. Having a year of Pierre Turgeon giving him pointers up top might be making a difference to, there is a noticeable difference in his willingness to drive the puck to the middle and just completely control the game. While he is getting a little older and might not be as "valuable" by HF standards he is currently one of the most impactful player in the league for his team.

He's as good as ever for sure, a big reason too for the increase in offense is that scoring is a fair bit higher this season in general because of more powerplays.

justonetime

Mar 13, 2009
He's as good as ever for sure, a big reason too for the increase in offense is that scoring is a fair bit higher this season in general because of more powerplays.

While this is true in general, the Kings are on pace for just one more PP than last year and currently sit 25th in the league in PP opportunities. Makes what he is doing relative to say the TB or COL bunch really really impressive.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
It's awesome because I picked him up in the offseason in my fantasy pool for a 3rd rounder.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
He makes 10m a year... This level of play should be expected year in and out not sure what you want credit for? A player doing their job for what they're paid for? He took 10m home last year and delivered 12 goals and 52 points.

Kopitar has the 2nd highest salary in the league these past 2 years.

What about all the 70-80 point elite center seasons or point per game playoff performances he put up while only making 6.8M? If you want to look at things in such a black and white manner while completely ignoring how the CBA frames contracts, how much good will does being dramatically underpaid for those seasons bank him?

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
What about all the 70-80 point elite center seasons or point per game playoff performances he put up while only making 6.8M? If you want to look at things in such a black and white manner while completely ignoring how the CBA frames contracts, how much good will does being dramatically underpaid for those seasons bank him?
I'd say....about $10M per. ;) :)

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Rofl please tell me you don't believe last year was worth 13m. You're serious right?

Well he's not like Kucherov who only cherry picks on the most loaded team in the NHL. Kopitar got that contract because he also won the team two cups. Something team like the Lightning have failed to do repeatedly.

Kopitar deserves all the money and the recognition. There's very few players who can touch his accomplishments and carries the team like he does.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The OP started off by telling people who "wrote off" Kopitar last season to "step up" and closed with the common shot at East Coasters for not giving him recognition because they're usually asleep. It feels like this was started less to be a "recognition" thread for Kopitar and more to be a "stick it" thread to those who doubted him. The OP invited the critical replies (about last season and his salary). If you pick a fight, some are going to fight back. A proper, positive recognition thread would've made it only about Kopitar and left out the shots at fans, IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sky04

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
The OP started off by telling people who "wrote off" Kopitar last season to "step up" and closed with the common shot at East Coasters for not giving him the recognition that he deserves because they're usually asleep. I get the feeling that this was started less to be a "recognition" thread for Kopitar and more to be a "stick it" thread to those who doubted him. The OP invited the criticism. You shouldn't pick a fight and then get defensive when you don't like some of the responses. A proper, positive recognition thread would've made it only about Kopitar and left out the shots at fans, IMO.
It doesn't take much to offend people these days and so far, it looks like only one poster got his feathers ruffled by my comment. Was I wrong to take a shot at the East/Central players? The tweet I posted above proves my point. I have no problem with people criticizing Kopitar but when you pick his worst season of his career to post about and disregard the rest then yah that's a problem.

Reactions: KingTrouty

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
The OP started off by telling people who "wrote off" Kopitar last season to "step up" and closed with the common shot at East Coasters for not giving him the recognition that he deserves because they're usually asleep. I get the feeling that this was started less to be a "recognition" thread for Kopitar and more to be a "stick it" thread to those who doubted him. The OP invited the criticism. You shouldn't pick a fight and then get defensive when you don't like some of the responses. A proper, positive recognition thread would've made it only about Kopitar and left out the shots at fans, IMO.
Come on man people are mentioning Kadri in the same sentence, that's as ridiculous as people mentioning Matthews with McDavid

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Kopitar is a great player being paid great player money.
Nice to see him having a great season.

great

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Before he was only a little bit better than Toews. Now he is a lot better than Toews.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad