Kopitar hits 80 points

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Those who wrote him off in the summer please step up.

He's killing it this season. It's the best season of his career and he's one point away from tying his career high of 81 points. Hands down he has been the kings MVP this season; he took on the load when Carter went down and it's crazy that the second player with the most points is Doughty with 51! He has been amazing though it sucks that the Eastern/central players always get more hyped up by the media since by the time the kings hit the ice they are asleep. Hope he gets the recognition he deserves.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He makes 10m a year... This level of play should be expected year in and out not sure what you want credit for? A player doing their job for what they're paid for? He took 10m home last year and delivered 12 goals and 52 points.

Kopitar has the 2nd highest salary in the league these past 2 years.

Last edited:

Smeagoal

Jun 12, 2015
In my dreams
He makes 10m a year... This level of play should be expected year in and out not sure what you want credit for? A player doing their job for what they're paid for? He took 10m home last year and delivered 12 goals and 50 points.
What does that have to do with this season? :huh:

He took 10m this year and delivers 81 points so far* and a playoff position. Kopitar is in the same conversation as Bergeron/Barkov/Kesler and to a latter extent Toews. His job isn't to score points, it's so shut down the opposing team*, he does that and scores 81 points. He deserves the praise even if you do not think so. What he is doing this season is definitely amazing in it's own right.

As OP stated the second closest to his point total on the Kings as a whole is Doughty at 51 points. That's insane.

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
He makes 10m a year... This level of play should be expected year in and out not sure what you want credit for? A player doing their job for what they're paid for? He took 10m home last year and delivered 12 goals and 50 points.

Kopitar has the 2nd highest salary in the league these past 2 years.

He was garbage last season and I wanted him out, but he has proved all the haters, myself included, wrong.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He took 10m this year and delivers 81 points so far* and a playoff position. Kopitar is in the same conversation as Bergeron/Barkov/Kesler and to a latter extent Toews. His job isn't to score points, it's so shut down the opposing team*, he does that and scores 81 points. He deserves the praise even if you do not think so. What he is doing this season is definitely amazing in it's own right.

Huh? He's a first line C and had the 2nd highest salary in the league and his job isn't to score points? Better think that one again bud. This season should be the usual for the next 6 years for the king's to get their moneys worth, they're already behind given his season last year.

Smeagoal

Jun 12, 2015
In my dreams
Huh? He's a first line C and had the 2nd highest salary in the league and his job isn't to score points? Better think that one again bud. This season should be the usual for the next 6 years for the king's to get their moneys worth, they're already behind given his season last year.
His job is to shut down the opposing team top line. He does that and has scored 81 points so far. The Kings have gotten their moneys worth if he can produce 60+ points and shut down the opposing teams top line which he does. Last year he scored 51p and did as such.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He was garbage last season and I wanted him out, but he has proved all the haters, myself included, wrong.

With a massive contract like that any down year will be criticized but good thing he's delivering this year.

Reactions: WesMcCauley

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
His job is to shut down the opposing team top line. He does that and has scored 81 points so far. The Kings have gotten their moneys worth if he can produce 60+ points and shut down the opposing teams top line which he does. Last year he scored 51p and did as such.

Rofl please tell me you don't believe last year was worth 13m. You're serious right?

Smeagoal

Jun 12, 2015
In my dreams
Rofl please tell me you don't believe last year was worth 13m. You're serious right?
Again, I don't understand why last year his point total matters, it was a completely different situation. He hit 81p this year so far, while being their top shut down C. He is worth more than that 10m and has proved such.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Should be a lock for the Selke

You'll get some argument for Patrice Bergeron with annointing him The Selke my friend....

Personally, I think they're both fantastic.

Edit: I didn't realize how many games Bergeron would miss until it was pointed out by a couple lazer like posters who knew that....

Last edited:

M C D A V I D

Feb 12, 2018
You'll get some argument for Patrice Bergeron with annointing him The Selke my friend....

You can't win the Selke if you've only played 55 games. I fully expect Kopitar to outscore Bergeron by 30+ points at seasons end (of course due to injury). Way too big a gap offensively when the gap defensively is honestly hair thin (IMO).

Reactions: KingTrouty

Kuz

May 11, 2015

Bergeron havent been used as much as a defensive center this year. He has 59,1% offensive zone starts. Barkov for example is at 41,8% and Kopitar at 47,7%. A big reason for Bergeron's high number this year is he centering two of the best offensive wingers in the league and naturally you have to deploy him further up the ice which have also improved his scoring by a lot.

Still he gets outscored by Kopitar and Barkov who gets tougher starts and play on worse teams with less skilled linemates. So I dont really see how Bergeron this year can compete for the Selke vs Barkov and Kopitar. I feel mostly he would get it because of his rep if he gets it this year. The career number for Bergeron in OZS is 47,6% so he havent been used the same way this year as before. Still he have had an excellent season before his injury, but I dont think he have played a Selke level season.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
You can't win the Selke if you've only played 55 games. I fully expect Kopitar to outscore Bergeron by 30+ points at seasons end (of course due to injury). Way too big a gap offensively when the gap defensively is honestly hair thin (IMO).

Not true; Jonathan Toews won The Selke playing in just 47 games 2012-2013....................:razz:

Wouldn't argue with you though.

Reactions: jetsforever

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Bergeron havent been used as much as a defensive center this year. He has 59,1% offensive zone starts. Barkov for example is at 41,8% and Kopitar at 47,7%. A big reason for Bergeron's high number this year is he centering two of the best offensive wingers in the league and naturally you have to deploy him further up the ice which have also improved his scoring by a lot.

Still he gets outscored by Kopitar and Barkov who gets tougher starts and play on worse teams with less skilled linemates. So I dont really see how Bergeron this year can compete for the Selke vs Barkov and Kopitar. I feel mostly he would get it because of his rep if he gets it this year. The career number for Bergeron in OZS is 47,6% so he havent been used the same way this year as before. Still he have had an excellent season before his injury, but I dont think he have played a Selke level season.

Bergeron's usage is a fair point, but offense shouldn't factor into the award at all. Its not a two way trophy

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
If during the offseason we said that last year was an aberration and he was more than likely to bounce back can we gloat?

I remember having arguments with fans about him being better than Backstrom and Matthews, I was ridiculed for suggesting going into this year he was the better player. I fully expected him to bounce back to his 70+ point self which he's done and then some. Sucks as a Ducks fans but he's one of the best in the league this year.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
One of the few players that got a pay raise and elevated his game even more (which was expected). A well respected player to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad