Player Discussion Kole Lind

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Wouldn't be a bad move, considering we already have some injuries. Don't think he's gonna amount to much but it would be funny if Seattle never actually got a player out of us.
Vancouver is missing PK forwards. So depending on how quickly sutter and Motte return would change how we plan on covering for them. Will use Dickinson and Highmore for sure. And likely Pearson, Bo and Miller.
Really says something that the team can’t develop these types of guys internally.

that’s Part of the development of players in the A. Figure out what they will be in the nhl and make sure they get that kind of ice time in the A. A player who won’t be a high scorer needs versatility in their game. Have to bring something to the table if scoring isn’t top 6 material.
PK skills is so something that can get a guy to the nhl.
what does Lind bring to the table right now?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Claiming Lind on the rebound from Seattle would mean they'd have to put him on waivers again to send him to Abbotsford, or keep him with the big club.

Frankly if they're going to make a waiver claim from the Kraken, far better that it be a d-man.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Thought there was some rule that a team cant get back a player that was claimed by a expansion team at the expansion draft. Isnt that what happend with the Las Vegas Golden Knights or am I misremembering??

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Kole Lind will most likely be waived by Seattle.

Do Canucks claim him?

If Sutter and Motte were healthy there'd be no chance. Lind wouldn't beat out the forwards on the bottom of our depth chart and you don't claim a player just so you can waive him again and send him to the minors if he clears. If he's worthwhile, he won't clear-when you place him on waivers the original team (Kraken) will claim him in hopes nobody else will put in a 2nd claim on him and the Kraken can send him down.

With Motte and Sutter unlikely to start the season I still don't think the Canucks will claim Lind, but there is some small chance.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Vancouver is missing PK forwards. So depending on how quickly sutter and Motte return would change how we plan on covering for them. Will use Dickinson and Highmore for sure. And likely Pearson, Bo and Miller.
Really says something that the team can’t develop these types of guys internally.

that’s Part of the development of players in the A. Figure out what they will be in the nhl and make sure they get that kind of ice time in the A. A player who won’t be a high scorer needs versatility in their game. Have to bring something to the table if scoring isn’t top 6 material.
PK skills is so something that can get a guy to the nhl.
what does Lind bring to the table right now?

Well outside of a few rare stories of players completely transforming their game in order to get to the NHL or stay in the NHL, good NHL penalty killers aren't usually discovered and developed at the AHL level. And if they are they usually have certain traits.

Generally you need to have some of these traits: you are fast, aggressive, have non-stop motor, good size, ability to win puck battles, smart defensive positioning, ability to win faceoffs, willingness to block shots, and enough skill to transition the puck up ice.

If you're like Nic Petan, you're not going to be given much of a chance to kill penalties in the NHL period unless he morphs into the second coming of prime 3C Kyle Wellwood who was a very smart player, was an elite level faceoff man, and had the ability to transition the puck up ice whenever the puck is on his stick.

It's not unlike baseball where if you run very fast your coach will try you out in center field and if you have a good arm you get tried at short stop or 3rd base rather than 2nd. So you probably aren't going to ever try to develop Lockhart into a PKer. You develop a guy like Lockwood or Focht.

Jannik Hansen was a slight, skilled playmaking winger when he was drafted. He didn't just get developed into a guy who kills penalties. He started playing like a player who could be good on the penalty kill.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Well outside of a few rare stories of players completely transforming their game in order to get to the NHL or stay in the NHL, good NHL penalty killers aren't usually discovered and developed at the AHL level. And if they are they usually have certain traits.

Generally you need to have some of these traits: you are fast, aggressive, have non-stop motor, good size, ability to win puck battles, smart defensive positioning, ability to win faceoffs, willingness to block shots, and enough skill to transition the puck up ice.

If you're like Nic Petan, you're not going to be given much of a chance to kill penalties in the NHL period unless he morphs into the second coming of prime 3C Kyle Wellwood who was a very smart player, was an elite level faceoff man, and had the ability to transition the puck up ice whenever the puck is on his stick.

It's not unlike baseball where if you run very fast your coach will try you out in center field and if you have a good arm you get tried at short stop or 3rd base rather than 2nd. So you probably aren't going to ever try to develop Lockhart into a PKer. You develop a guy like Lockwood or Focht.

Jannik Hansen was a slight, skilled playmaking winger when he was drafted. He didn't just get developed into a guy who kills penalties. He started playing like a player who could be good on the penalty kill.
Players and coaches have to figure out how a guy is going to make it in the nhl. A guy like gaudette won’t last much longer in the nhl unless e bings more to the table either offensively or picks up his defensive game.

I agree that the likes of Lockwood, focht, karlsson, Costmar, etc should be looking at filling bottom 6 checking/pk duties to make the nhl.

Canucks need to develop these guys internally. These types will make it at around age 22/23 so you have only have 4-5 years of team control but you are paying much less than the $3 mill to a guy liek beagle for that role.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
I can think of 10 forwards better than Lind in our bottom 6 at the moment. I think it would be a completely wasteful waiver grab. Let's move on from this player he isnt good enough and multiple teams have figured it out now.

Reactions: Erub ot Ynligom

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I can think of 10 forwards better than Lind in our bottom 6 at the moment. I think it would be a completely wasteful waiver grab. Let's move on from this player he isnt good enough and multiple teams have figured it out now.
Agreed. Was a bad high 2nd round pick which is too bad as we havent had too many top two round picks the last few years.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Agreed. Was a bad high 2nd round pick which is too bad as we havent had too many top two round picks the last few years.

It's a difficult draft position to have success. There's a considerable drop off after the first 10 picks; then again after the next 15. Everyone always thinks they got 'the guy' that was passed up in the first round. Pretty amazing pick that Hoglander turned out to be.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Players and coaches have to figure out how a guy is going to make it in the nhl. A guy like gaudette won’t last much longer in the nhl unless e bings more to the table either offensively or picks up his defensive game.

I agree that the likes of Lockwood, focht, karlsson, Costmar, etc should be looking at filling bottom 6 checking/pk duties to make the nhl.

Canucks need to develop these guys internally. These types will make it at around age 22/23 so you have only have 4-5 years of team control but you are paying much less than the $3 mill to a guy liek beagle for that role.

I don't disagree with that but the Canucks did attempt what you said. They had Goldobin killing penalties when he didn't come up killing penalties. Gaudette was trying to add that element but he was already in the NHL and obviously he needed to be better at certain elements. Jasek was moved to C and did play on the PK.

There are only so many special teams spots and I think we are both in agreement that the Canucks should try and correctly identify which prospects have a greater chance of developing into NHL players and funnel development resources to those players. Jasek to me had some potential but given his frustrations with not being given a chance with the Canucks I guess the chances are slim that he has a future here.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I remember that Benning was mic'ed up at the 2017 draft table...He was heard marveling that Lind was still on the board early in the second round. I guess we now know why.

Nic Hague is solidly within Vegas' top-six d-group. In retrospect, a far better pick, particularly given the atrocious state of the prospect depth on the Canucks blueline.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
We gave Lind up on the expansion draft to Seattle, looks like Seattle gave up on him.

Nothing was gained or lost

Seattle also had a choice between Lind and Gadjovich and chose Lind.

Speaking of which, what is Seattle's waiver priority?

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
We gave Lind up on the expansion draft to Seattle, looks like Seattle gave up on him.

Blessing and a curse, Canucks didn't have enough depth to have anything of value left unprotected for the second expansion in a row under Benning.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

Really? Lind was a second round draft pick by the Canucks (33rd overall), much closer to a first round pick than a third round pick.

If it turns out he can't play, it sure seems like a 'loss' to me. I mean how many second rounders can one GM either outright trade or blow on the wrong player?

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Really? Lind was a second round draft pick by the Canucks (33rd overall), much closer to a first round pick than a third round pick.

If it turns out he can't play, it sure seems like a 'loss' to me. I mean how many second rounders can one GM either outright trade or blow on the wrong player?

Kole Lind has been given opportunities on 2 teams, if he's destined to be AHL/bottom six player then all good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad