Player Discussion Kole Lind

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
A few posters -- literally maybe 2 or 3 -- think of Benning as a super scout. Many more posters who bring up Benning's solid draft record, myself included, only do so in response to other posters going shopping for increasingly nonsensical ways to undermine it because they can't accept him having even isolated, minor or largely collaborative success of any kind.

Also, Gillis has never been skewered for missing out on one pick in that range, or several, but for missing out on literally all of those picks.

To my recollection, Gillis only ever had one top 10 draft pick. He took Bo Horvat with #9.

But overall the drafting under Gillis was the worst in the NHL. No team drafted less NHL players during that time frame.

But at least he had clues about all other aspects of running a team. Benning has none.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
The Canucks could lose one of either Lind or Gadjovich to the Seattle Kraken in the upcoming expansion draft.

There's every indication that Lind is the guy they're going to protect, but I really hope Gadjovich gets into a couple of games next week so we can compare.

With the Canucks you always get that sinking feeling that they'll choose to protect the wrong guy.
Pray to whatever god you believe in, that Benning isn't around to screw this up. Guaranteed he would protect someone that he "knows can play at the NHL level" and "help the team next season"over prospects with upside. Someone like Highmore.

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
Pray to whatever god you believe in, that Benning isn't around to screw this up. Guaranteed he would protect someone that he "knows can play at the NHL level" and "help the team next season"over prospects with upside. Someone like Highmore.
We already know he is going to protect Pearson and Myers. He has already screwed it up at this point.

Reactions: MarkMM and Fatass

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
So we keep AGAIN the old crappy decling guys over the young upside ones. Benning. :shakehead

I don't see much upside in Lind. Or Gadjovich. I've watched most of their in the previous two seasons in Utica, saw them in a scrimmage in January, saw the first two Utica games this season, and watched Lind in Canucks' games. Pearson is a proven middle-sixer in the NHL and in my opinion it's more likely than not that neither Lind nor Gadjovich will reach that level.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I don't see much upside in Lind. Or Gadjovich. I've watched most of their in the previous two seasons in Utica, saw them in a scrimmage in January, saw the first two Utica games this season, and watched Lind in Canucks' games. Pearson is a proven middle-sixer in the NHL and in my opinion it's more likely than not that neither Lind nor Gadjovich will reach that level.
You may be right and I would lean that way too with respect to Lind and Gadjovich. But signing Pearson for three years to play in your top 6 is a resignation to mediocracy. Just because he's the best they have doesn't mean it's good enough to be competitive. They need to find at least one more top 6 player that, together with Hoglander developing and Podkolzin's potential, would give 5 potentially viable options for the top 6 wingers (Miller, Boeser, Hoglander, Podkolzin, new guy). That would put Pearson on the 3rd line for which he is best suited...but then he's overpaid for the position.

Reactions: MarkMM

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Maybe it was intimidation of being introduced into the NHL, but thing that's been mildly disappointing with Lind is an almost complete lack of physicality.

I always thought that one of the features of his scouting reports was that he played the game with a bit of edge...and could be ornery at times to play against. But there wasn't much evidence of that in his brief appearances with the Canucks.

Maybe next year he rediscovers that part of his game.....because it doesn't look like he'll ever be a great finesse player.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Maybe it was intimidation of being introduced into the NHL, but thing that's been mildly disappointing with Lind is an almost complete lack of physicality.

I always thought that one of the features of his scouting reports was that he played the game with a bit of edge...and could be ornery at times to play against. But there wasn't much evidence of that in his brief appearances with the Canucks.

Maybe next year he rediscovers that part of his game.....because it doesn't look like he'll ever be a great finesse player.

He isn't very physical at all whistle-to-whistle.

His 'grit' is mainly an uncanny ability to skate into scrums and say something to promptly get himself punched in the face.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
They need Kole Lind or Gadjovich to be a player. Preferably both
since 2013........ this is what has come from the CHL

Bo Horvat
Hunter Shinkaruk
Cole Cassels
Jordan Subban
Anton Cedarholm
Miles Liberati
Mckenzie Stewart
Kyle Petit
Jared Mccann
Jake Virtanen
Tate Olson
Carl Neil
Guilaume Brisbois
Brett Mckeznie
Rodrigo Abols
Jacob Stukel
Cole Candella
Olli Juolevi
Matt Brassard
Petrus Palmu
Mike Dipietro
Jonah Gadjovich
Kole Lind
Jett Woo
Carson Focht
Ethan Keppan
Bo Horvat
Hunter Shinkaruk
Cole C

At this point you have to laugh at how bad this CHL scouting is. Just randomly pick a name out of a hat and call it day if they are coming from the CHL.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Apparently because the Canucks management don't know the rules of the league they play in, Lind won't be allowed to appear in any more games this season unless an injury takes place.

That is where this franchise is, so mismanaged that Boyd and Highmore, Vesey, Graovak and Hawerlyk all play in front of Lind.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
If you’re this far off skating at the NHL level after 3 years in the AHL, you probably aren’t going to make it. Like, <5% chance at this point.
His skating is weak like Gaudette, but both players have different weaknesses. Lind doesn't generate enough speed in his stride, that seems like a strength issue because otherwise he's agile at top speed and doesn't have balance/turning issues like Gaudette.

I really wonder how much off-season training he has been doing the last 2 seasons. This is the first summer since COVID, did any hockey players train from March-September 2020? Nobody even knew when the NHL would resume, facilities/coaches could be shutdown, so I believe Lind hasn't been doing much training.

I expect him to train his ass off this summer now that he knows he's far away from a NHL player. He's no Boeser clearly, but we need physical bottom 6 players. I'll probably re-watch Lind's game where he got a lot of ice-time, but he's got more puck skills than Hawryluk/Boyd.

Regardless the kid has value even if you wanted to trade him. He's steadily improved playing in the minor leagues for 3 years, there's no reason to believe he won't get better in this league as he becomes more comfortable. He deserves the same charity that Virtanen and Horvat got.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
I don’t won’t write him off yet, but I won’t hold my breath yet.

I thought he showed physicality when he mugged the Oiler defender Laggesson behind his net.

Until his skating improves hard to see how he’d have a bottom 6 spot in the NHL, as he doesn’t have enough skill to be top 6.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
His skating is weak like Gaudette, but both players have different weaknesses. Lind doesn't generate enough speed in his stride, that seems like a strength issue because otherwise he's agile at top speed and doesn't have balance/turning issues like Gaudette.

I really wonder how much off-season training he has been doing the last 2 seasons. This is the first summer since COVID, did any hockey players train from March-September 2020? Nobody even knew when the NHL would resume, facilities/coaches could be shutdown, so I believe Lind hasn't been doing much training.

I expect him to train his ass off this summer now that he knows he's far away from a NHL player. He's no Boeser clearly, but we need physical bottom 6 players. I'll probably re-watch Lind's game where he got a lot of ice-time, but he's got more puck skills than Hawryluk/Boyd.

Regardless the kid has value even if you wanted to trade him. He's steadily improved playing in the minor leagues for 3 years, there's no reason to believe he won't get better in this league as he becomes more comfortable. He deserves the same charity that Virtanen and Horvat got.

I should f***ing hope they did?

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Kole Lind will most likely be waived by Seattle.

Do Canucks claim him?

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
Kole Lind will most likely be waived by Seattle.

Do Canucks claim him?
Wouldn't be a bad move, considering we already have some injuries. Don't think he's gonna amount to much but it would be funny if Seattle never actually got a player out of us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad