Player Discussion Kole Lind

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Basically we need 12 quality NHL forwards. Next season could potentially have 9-10 NHL forwards if you include Podkolzin, Lind, Gadjovich and the top 6. There's still Motte kicking around.

It's getting close, but our core is younger than EDM/CGY/TOR also. You gotta consider that when VAN is dead last in Canada.
Lind looks okay, but he’s not a core guy, or ever will be. He’s a support player.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Basically we need 12 quality NHL forwards. Next season could potentially have 9-10 NHL forwards if you include Podkolzin, Lind, Gadjovich and the top 6. There's still Motte kicking around.

It's getting close, but our core is younger than EDM/CGY/TOR also. You gotta consider that when VAN is dead last in Canada.

Doesn't really matter when we have the worst management in the division. This team is going no where as long as Elmer is making the decisions.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Doesn't really matter when we have the worst management in the division. This team is going no where as long as Elmer is making the decisions.

The Stanley Cup, the oldest existing trophy to be awarded to a professional sports franchise in North America, is presented annually to the NHL team with the youngest core.

Reactions: Javaman and Pip

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Right now he appears to be a modestly grittier version of Linden Vey. Replacement-level future unless he improves. Skating is the biggest issue as he is both slow and lacking agility by NHL standards.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
I expect him to struggle at first, test will be if he can adjust to speed and strength of this league. He does not have a skill other then hockey IQ that is solidly nhl caliber. However many players start timid and find their footing the following year.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
needs to work on skating.

but what is positive, is that he sees the ice quite well. For a winger he seems to have above average vision. Doesn't seem to be intimidated and battles.

could develop into a pretty good 3rd liner who can chip in offensively and be a bit of a pest. that's the role he should thrive to be right now.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
IMO he looked good the first game. The last 2 games he's looked more like he did in Utica. He seems to do a lot without getting much done. There's a glimmer of offensive potential and some grit. He either puts these together and becomes a decent middle 6 winger or he ends up with the likes of Boyd, Hawyrluk, Vesey. A homerun would be if he can develop into a good 3C but I'm not expecting that at this stage. Willing to be surprised.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Lind looks okay, but he’s not a core guy, or ever will be. He’s a support player.

That's kind of how the Canucks envisioned him. I think it was Brackett that thought that he could play with Petey?

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I thought he looks better than the sea of Veseys, Highmores, Boyds, Michaelis etc who dont seem capable of resigsterring a single point between them in a combined 35 games or so.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
He is not ready for the NHL and can't skate at this level. You can see that he just doesn't get to pucks and spaces he should be getting to and is a step behind all the time.
To be fair he hasn't played in forever then gets thrusted onto the toughest assignments on the team with Horvat against Marner -Matthews and Draisaitl-McDavid. Even Horvat was looking bad last game

I agree with what your saying and this team is so friggen slow already they can hardly afford another slug but he needs to get some games and a reduced role. Can't blame Green for putting him in the role you would like him to be once he matures and giving him a chance to be productive for a start. That's honorable given the season is a wash.

The thing with the NHL is you need to be one step ahead mentally and he has very little idea what is going on and is having to rely on read and react which is gonna go really poorly for a player without standout athleticism.

No argument in the assessment just feel he needs to get a legit amount of games to get comfortable so he can maybe have a legit chance next year of being a serviceable roster player. I remember Burrows being awful for a whole season before he became serviceable then we know the rest of the story. He was a unicorn but Lind still deserves a fair shake. I would probably be more impatient if i watched as many Utica games as you have.

Nothing to lose just let the kids play and see what happens.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I thought he looks better than the sea of Veseys, Highmores, Boyds, Michaelis etc who dont seem capable of resigsterring a single point between them in a combined 35 games or so.
Vesey is the one that blows me away. This guy was once a fairly productive guy. I honestly dont see anything but a winger i would want to punch as a line mate. Seems to lack any vision or positional intelligence at all. Not bad in his own zone but talk about a moron and turnover machine going forward wow. I've seen at least a dozen instances where he blew easy outlets and puck supports and dozens more of poorly timed passes errant passes and skating directly towards linemates. I swear he's like a house league all star with his head down.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
To be fair he hasn't played in forever then gets thrusted onto the toughest assignments on the team with Horvat against Marner -Matthews and Draisaitl-McDavid. Even Horvat was looking bad last game

I agree with what your saying and this team is so friggen slow already they can hardly afford another slug but he needs to get some games and a reduced role. Can't blame Green for putting him in the role you would like him to be once he matures and giving him a chance to be productive for a start. That's honorable given the season is a wash.

The thing with the NHL is you need to be one step ahead mentally and he has very little idea what is going on and is having to rely on read and react which is gonna go really poorly for a player without standout athleticism.

No argument in the assessment just feel he needs to get a legit amount of games to get comfortable so he can maybe have a legit chance next year of being a serviceable roster player. I remember Burrows being awful for a whole season before he became serviceable then we know the rest of the story. He was a unicorn but Lind still deserves a fair shake. I would probably be more impatient if i watched as many Utica games as you have.

Nothing to lose just let the kids play and see what happens.

I don't think there's zero hope for Lind as a bottom-6 guy but in my mind he simply isn't ready to play at this level.

Conversely, Rathbone might be but they're refusing to play him which is incredibly frustrating.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
This guy wanted nothing to do with the corners in the offensive zone last night.

he saw what that involved with the physicality and hacking and slashing and was like

I’ll just hang back and observe from a distance.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
I thought he played better last night, more physical around the net and showed good vision on a few plays.

He really needs to improve his skating to stick in the NHL long term.

I do think he’ll be a useful mid 6 player if he addresses this.

Reactions: Catamarca Livin

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
Why isn't anyone taking Kole Lind?

i think we know why now

Last edited:

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
I don't think it's necessarily his skating that is a problem, more that he needs to read the play and react to it a little quicker. Mental skating habits I guess. Toffoli doesn't skate faster or accelerate quicker than Lind, he just uses his smarts to get where he needs to go, and with better timing. Maybe Lind developes that part of his game, maybe he doesn't. I think it'll be the same with Gadj

Reactions: lindgren

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Hopefully he learns some things from this few games and works on em this offseason and can be useful next season. If not Benning will have to give him a lengthy costly contract

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
He is not ready for the NHL and can't skate at this level. You can see that he just doesn't get to pucks and spaces he should be getting to and is a step behind all the time.

But yet he looks better than the plugs like Vesey and Highmore, Boyd who can skate and couldnt register an actual point if their life depended on it..

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
He had a few good shifts and even threw a couple hits which was a strange act from a Canuck forward. He looked better to me, and may be adjusting to speed a bit. He looks for passes with the puck which is more than you can say for rest of bottom 6. He might be ready to challenge for roster slot with a good off season.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm confused, and maybe some Utica posters can help me out? Lind started the year fast but quickly faded. In fact he was far down the list of the best Comet forwards before he was recalled.

I realize that the Canucks and Comets were trying to make a center out of him, and that might explain the slowdown. But based on what I've seen, there's not a chance in the world that Lind skates nearly well enough to be even a depth center in the NHL.

Seems to me that Gadjovich was having a far better year and should have been the first guy on a plane from New York to Vancouver.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
I'm confused, and maybe some Utica posters can help me out? Lind started the year fast but quickly faded. In fact he was far down the list of the best Comet forwards before he was recalled.

I realize that the Canucks and Comets were trying to make a center out of him, and that might explain the slowdown. But based on what I've seen, there's not a chance in the world that Lind skates nearly well enough to be even a depth center in the NHL.

Seems to me that Gadjovich was having a far better year and should have been the first guy on a plane from New York to Vancouver.
"Far down the list"? Lind had only played 8 professional games all year and had the highest PPG of all Canucks-owned players on the Comets. He actually finished hot with 4 points in 3 games and was improving his defensive play prior to his call-up.

I just find your description of his season to be quite odd, especially considering how few games he's played.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad