Confirmed with Link: Klim Kostin and Kailer Yamamoto to Detroit for future considerations

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
You actually just brought up vegas lol.... the one exception to the rule. Avs --drafted core-- --do i really need to mention tampa or u got that gold fish mem?-- st louis?--- core was all drafted. U make expensive fa/trade adds when you are on the cusp not when ur core draft picks are still not even here full time.

You really wanna build using th prehistoric way that fails way more than it wins. You wanna be calgary? Who just let it leak they want duclair coming back for hanafin because they are content spending and fielding a team that absolutely cant win.

Desperation is rampant here
But nobody is suggesting that Detroit has zero pieces and should add ten guys via trade and free agency. On the contrary, it's BECAUSE they have already landed several good young pieces in the draft and have more on the way, that some fans think there are enough assets already stockpiled that it's time to make a deal or two.

And Colorado is the franchise with arguably the most famous trade acquisition in Stanley Cup history: Ray Bourque. Plus they traded for Rob Blake.

And Vegas traded for Eichel. New Jersey, the team helped most by the draft lottery and clearly on the rise, still dealt for Meier. Teams make deals to get better all the time.

It's not desperation. It's using every option available, instead of an owner pocketing cap space or fans being asked to wait for a 6-year rebuild to become a 10-year one.

Reactions: RedWingzz

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
You gotta give to get man...

There's no way of knowing for sure, but I bet if Yzerman offered Pierre the 17th overall pick, and maybe Zadina, the Cat would be a Red Wing.

How am I supposed to know exactly what Yzerman offered? That's not public information. The point is DeBrincat made it obvious he wanted to come to Detroit, so if Yzerman wanted him bad enough, he'd be a Red Wing as we speak.
Right. So you're upset about scenarios that you yourself have imagined. A bunch of pundits saying trade talks are heating up and Detroit is a likely destination doesn't make it true.

Could you post the links where DeBrincat made it obvious he wanted to come to Detroit?

Here's some comments from Dorion on the matter during draft day:

“There’s not really a crunchtime for us,” Dorion said.

“We’re not going to trade him for pennies on the dollar,” Dorion said. “We feel he’s a really good asset.”

17th overall and Zadina was likely not gonna get it done, especially when trading to a division rival.

Rolo Tomassi

May 6, 2010
I think the conversation must have been something like this:

KH: what will it take for you to take Yamamoto’s salary off my hands?

SY: throw in Kostin and I will.

KH: that seems a tad steep. We like our team.

SY: what do I have to do to get you to throw on Kostin?

KH: completely tank the second round and waste all of your pics on AHL trash.

SY: hold my beer.

Oct 18, 2006
Well yeah I brought up Vegas because you literally just said "the way to win the Cup is by drafting". Vegas just proved that this is not necessarily the formula...Not really sure why that was hard to understand?
You really don’t see how Vegas are not a normal case?

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
You really don’t see how Vegas are not a normal case?
Of course I know the circumstances are different being an expansion team, but let's not pretend their entire roster was from the expansion draft. Vegas made a ton of great trades which helped them win the Cup.

All I'm saying is that the theory that you can only win the Cup through the draft and developing players isn't a perfect formula. You need a balance with drafted players, and trades, and free agent signings as well.

K1900L

Dec 27, 2019
People will be surprised by Kostin. Not just a big body who can protect the puck, but a player who can also make some nice plays happen. It doesn't happen very often (otherwise he wouldn't have been gifted to Detroit for free), but still relatively often compared to other big body 4th or even 3rd line wingers. He is also just 24 as well. Certainly not a downgrade to Erne or guys like Luff. And he is very funny as well, a fan favorite in Edmonton and very liked in St.Louis.

Yamamoto is a different story. He had a terrible season last year but was able to be a line mate of Draisaitl prior.
Heck, he was point per game in his first season (27 games played) and I remember the Oilers board calling him their own Nylander.
This is why I'm against buying him out. Have a look at how he is working out on this team first.

I definitely think that both of these guys have the potential to be upgrades on the third line wing.

Reactions: Henkka
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
People will be surprised by Kostin. Not just a big body who can protect the puck, but a player who can also make some nice plays happen. It doesn't happen very often (otherwise he wouldn't have been gifted to Detroit for free), but still relatively often compared to other big body 4th or even 3rd line wingers. He is also just 24 as well. Certainly not a downgrade to Erne or guys like Luff. And he is very funny as well, a fan favorite in Edmonton and very liked in St.Louis.

Yamamoto is a different story. He had a terrible season last year but was able to be a line mate of Draisaitl prior.
Heck, he was point per game in his first season (27 games played) and I remember the Oilers board calling him their own Nylander.
This is why I'm against buying him out. Have a look at how he is working out on this team first.

I definitely think that both of these guys have the potential to be upgrades on the third line wing.
Problem is we now have about 9 3rd liners, and we only have 3 top 6 forwards (Larkin, Perron, Raymond).

Reactions: evolutionbaby

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Buyout Yamamoto.

~550k for the next two years.

Sign Kostin, 2 years, 3 million per year.

So, Kostin, @3.5 for 2 years.

I could be ok with that.
You don't need to go anywhere near that high. I think he was asking just shy of $2M/yr. See if he bites on a 4 year x $2.5M/yr deal.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
You don't need to go anywhere near that high. I think he was asking just shy of $2M/yr. See if he bites on a 4 year x $2.5M/yr deal.
And if he does, I'm ok with that.

If he holds his value for the term of the contract, I'd be happy. New Erne.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
And if he does, I'm ok with that.

If he holds his value for the term of the contract, I'd be happy. New Erne.
Given what he's done with the ice time that he gets? Erne is the absolute floor.

MFer was 7th in playoff scoring for the Oil being their 18th skater in TOI. Unless this guy is an absolute asshole in practices or in the room, I just don't get his deployment.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Stone cold Klim Kostin is a nicccce pickup for free.

Hes the exact kind of bottom 6 player Detroit has lacked for a long time. Heavy shot and actually doesnt take shit. On Spittin Chiclets they call him Klimdros

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Yzerman said , he didn't talk to Kostin or his agent, we don't know if he's want to play North America or go to KHL, because I've heard he had offer.

Rolo Tomassi

May 6, 2010
Stone cold Klim Kostin is a nicccce pickup for free.

Hes the exact kind of bottom 6 player Detroit has lacked for a long time. Heavy shot and actually doesnt take shit. On Spittin Chiclets they call him Klimdros

This was the best thing the Wings did today. By far.

Reactions: Henkka
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
And Perron is barely a second liner now.

Outside of Larkin we don't have a single player who is a lock to hit 20 goals next season.q
I get your point, and I agree with you, but I'd bet a lot of money that Raymond scores 20+ next year. He's better than we saw this year, he's more of a 30 goal guy than a 20 goal guy.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Yzerman said , he didn't talk to Kostin or his agent, we don't know if he's want to play North America or go to KHL, because I've heard he had offer.

Oiler fans have been saying for over a month or so that his plan was to go back to Russia. The KHL doesn't pay the crazy salaries anymore so I don't think money is necessarily his reason for going back. I think he can make more money in the NHL than the KHL.

If we can sign Kostin, I like what he could bring, so no problem that we added him.

My issue is that we just seem to be staying patient, which I am sorry as a huge Wings fan and big supporter and liker of Steve Yzerman (my favourite player), it is getting to the point where it is a little too patient. I don't know much about the 2nd rounders and beyond we drafted, but even those that do seem pretty unimpressed with the players we picked yesterday outside round 1. Seems like too many SAFE picks. We have lots of "safe" players like Pius Suter types who don't move the needle of making us a better team. I think a few skill guys that may bust is the better route than taking more guys who top out as just ok NHL guys. Not every pick, but at least a few, as those are usually the types that jump out of nowhere to be stars.

Reactions: lilidk

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Oilers fans seem to love him in this thread

And this video is pretty good

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Pretty happy about Kostin the more I think about it. He should be a fixture on the third line and I think he’s got untapped offensive potential. Would be amazing if he had a Nuke-like trajectory.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008

On top of that, Evolving Hockey's contract projections suggested the most likely deal for Kostin was a two-year deal paying him $1.485-million, while a one-year deal would have him projected for $1.065-million. (LINK)

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
But they don't need any more Fabbris. They have Rasmussen and Copp and Perron and Kubalik and others that are middle of the roster guys, with more on the way in guys like Kasper and Soderblom.

They need a guy with a ceiling of Larkin or higher. Raymond or higher. And swinging a trade is more realistic than all other options put together to land a player of that caliber.

Is it awful that they make this trade with Edmonton? No. But the phase of shedding bad contracts and bottoming out is over, and fans should absolutely start getting impatient with all of Yzerman's "be patient", if there isn't a major addition this summer to help the phase of climbing the standings.
The point wasn't about Fabbri, it was clearly about getting a better asset than the one you gave up.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
But they don't need any more Fabbris. They have Rasmussen and Copp and Perron and Kubalik and others that are middle of the roster guys, with more on the way in guys like Kasper and Soderblom.

They need a guy with a ceiling of Larkin or higher. Raymond or higher. And swinging a trade is more realistic than all other options put together to land a player of that caliber.

Is it awful that they make this trade with Edmonton? No. But the phase of shedding bad contracts and bottoming out is over, and fans should absolutely start getting impatient with all of Yzerman's "be patient", if there isn't a major addition this summer to help the phase of climbing the standings.

Actually, the Wings need both high-skill scorers AND better bottom 6 players.

The Wings can build around their current Top 6 and be very competitive if the Bottom 6 isn't a bunch of anchors. Look at teams like Carolina and Vegas. While they may not have an elite McDavid, MacKinnon, or Matthews, but their Bottom 6 is much, much better than Edmunton's or Toronto's. Having better balance throughout the lineup, with a much smaller gap of player effectiveness between the top and bottom can greatly compensate for not having an elite top of the lineup.

So, is Kostin a world beater? No, he's not. But is he a significant improvement over Adam Erne? Or Matt Luff? Yes, he is and that is an important move in itself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nut Upstrom

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Actually, the Wings need both high-skill scorers AND better bottom 6 players.

The Wings can build around their current Top 6 and be very competitive if the Bottom 6 isn't a bunch of anchors. Look at teams like Carolina and Vegas. While they may not have an elite McDavid, MacKinnon, or Matthews, their Bottom 6 is much, much better than Edmunton's or Toronto's. Having better balance throughout the lineup, with a much smaller gap of player effectiveness between the top and bottom can greatly compensate for not having an elite top of the lineup.

So, is Kostin a world beater? No, he's not. But is he a significant improvement over Adam Erne? Or Matt Luff? Yes, he is and that is an important move in itself.

And hes not going to sit on the bench with Tkachuk calling it on and not do anything about it. The wings picked up a guy who can basically scrap with anyone in the league outside of the few true heavyweights left, but he can skate and play decent hockey.

Its what this entire board has asked for for years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad