Confirmed with Link: Klim Kostin and Kailer Yamamoto to Detroit for future considerations

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Please point to me the last team that won the cup without at least one elite player at forward and defense.
To be fair, no two people here will have the same definition of elite.

I might argue that Vegas just won the Cup with zero elite players on the entire roster, if I think elite means top 5-10 in the league at their position.

But I agree that all the depth in the world isn't enough if there aren't enough guys to actually drive the bus when it matters.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
To be fair, no two people here will have the same definition of elite.

I might argue that Vegas just won the Cup with zero elite players on the entire roster, if I think elite means top 5-10 in the league at their position.

But I agree that all the depth in the world isn't enough if there aren't enough guys to actually drive the bus when it matters.
Yeah, whatever you want to call it. guys that are play-driving, top end forwards or defensemen that can break a game apart. vegas had that with eichel. its not a coincidence that they made a few runs but finally won once they got him

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Yeah, whatever you want to call it. guys that are play-driving, top end forwards or defensemen that can break a game apart. vegas had that with eichel. its not a coincidence that they made a few runs but finally won once they got him
Eichel hasnt had a point per game season in 3 years, the definition of elite is weak if we're calling him elite

Reactions: kliq

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
I think Klim and Fish are two players that will be very valuable for us this year. Two under the radar guys that will pull their weight and more. Won't be surprised to see both put up 30 plus points and Klim to have 200 hard hits.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Please point to me the last team that won the cup without at least one elite player at forward and defense.

Can't deploy depth at a powerplay or out there for the last 2 mins of a game down by 1. Got to have a couple high end players for those situations. Really tired of hearing how once in a while a team wins without the high profile guys. Yeah it can happen, isn't the buisiness model you should build around though. Those teams depth that do rarely pull it off, usually look a lot better than Copp and Compher too.

Reactions: RedHawkDown

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Underrated acquisition

Screenshot_20230721_094241_Instagram.jpg

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Yeah, if Eichel is elite then so is Larkin.
And Seider is elite, and you're elite, and everyone's elite!

The only bad thing about LLVGK winning the Cup is that now Draper is gonna draft even more "hard to play against" players in the second round. I wouldn't mind so much if they have puck skills like Kostin, but Cleveland was a total head scratcher. Zero hands, not even Helm hands.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
But if he will break Conor Bedard's arm at the Cup Final against Hawks, he has done his duty.
I doubt he ever plays a regular season game, at least for the Wings. I see him doing 4 years in college, going UFA, and signing with a team that has less defensive depth. Even then, I think he'll wind up being a better skating version of McIlrath, career AHL guy at best. He needs miraculous puck skill development to even go that far.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Eichel has played at elite clips, by the way he is also coming back from having a tommy johns esk surgery. Eichel played like a big star in the playoffs, he flashed a lot of those moments where he tilted games. Can he be healthy and back it up? I think he consolidates it and does put his name back up with the bigger stars in the game. I guess we will see, I have always been a big believer in his game.

I am fascinated to see a Matthews-Eichel punch for Team USA in the next international event.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
And Seider is elite, and you're elite, and everyone's elite!

The only bad thing about LLVGK winning the Cup is that now Draper is gonna draft even more "hard to play against" players in the second round. I wouldn't mind so much if they have puck skills like Kostin, but Cleveland was a total head scratcher. Zero hands, not even Helm hands.
Just look what they do in the first round Edvinsson, Seider, Kasper, Danielson, they all hard to play against. Edvinsson vs Eklund, Seider vs Zegras vs Seider, Danielson vs Benson or Dvorsky. Even Cossa vs Wallstedt, they choose more physical and less skills. I am not saying it is bad, but that's Yzerman ideas

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Eichel has played at elite clips, by the way he is also coming back from having a tommy johns esk surgery. Eichel played like a big star in the playoffs, he flashed a lot of those moments where he tilted games. Can he be healthy and back it up? I think he consolidates it and does put his name back up with the bigger stars in the game. I guess we will see, I have always been a big believer in his game.

I am fascinated to see a Matthews-Eichel punch for Team USA in the next international event.
Sorry I know this is getting way off topic I'm curious who you (and other American posters) would line up for America currently assuming that we could do an Olympic tournament tomorrow and every player is healthy. As a Canadian, I think Canada is pretty much at the point where America has passed them in terms of the pendulum swinging. Canada's forward group should still be good enough for Gold medal standards but I just can't see the country putting together 6 or 7 defenseman good enough to back up the Fs and stop the American offense. I have no clue about goaltending but off the top of my head Hellebuyck, Oettinger, Demko are better than whatever Canada is showing up with.

Maybe this is a new thread/ DM conversation lol sorry for the rambling post.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Don’t forget that Eichel transformed his game this year and has been a two-way player for Vegas. I’m Buffalo when he was over a point per game he probably forgot who his goalie was. Eichel really transformed in a positive way.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Just look what they do in the first round Edvinsson, Seider, Kasper, Danielson, they all hard to play against. Edvinsson vs Eklund, Seider vs Zegras vs Seider, Danielson vs Benson or Dvorsky. Even Cossa vs Wallstedt, they choose more physical and less skills. I am not saying it is bad, but that's Yzerman ideas

It’s not less skill, it’s less flash. That’s a big difference.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
It’s not less skill, it’s less flash. That’s a big difference.
True, but flash is the reason I love hockey . We have very deep prospect pool, but non could bring show like Datsyuk did.
It was mistake not to trade up to get Cristall and make me little bit more happier 😜

• Haha
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
Kostin intrigues me. This guy was pretty touted his draft year and from his highlights looks to have pretty good hands, a lot of physicality, personality, etc - looks like a true power forward. Not that I think this is the second coming of Bobby Ryan, but what I thought was just some plug, seems to have more upside? Anyone know anything more detailed about this guy?

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018
I thought this was pretty great. There are a few youtube clips that show how funny this guy is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad