Prospect Info: Klim Kostin (31st overall in 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I think there are times when he looks gassed after a short shift, don’t think his stamina is there yet.

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
i'm sorry, couldn't hear you over the sound of the Blues goal horn after Kostin deked half the Preds out of their shorts and wristed a rocket to the back of the net.
klim-kostin-of-russia-celebrates-after-scoring-in-the-second-period-picture-id1077907836

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Once Kostin got the callup, heading back to San Antone was not in the cards. He's here to stay.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
i'm sorry, couldn't hear you over the sound of the Blues goal horn after Kostin deked half the Preds out of their shorts and wristed a rocket to the back of the net.
You waited a week and a half to respond. That’s cute.

upload_2019-11-24_11-49-42.gif

I’m guessing it will be crickets from you when/if he ends up getting sent back down.

Edit: Holy Hyperbole! Your response makes so much more sense now. I missed the game but just caught the highlight of the goal. One neutral zone deke against a guy five feet away and finding open ice = “deked half the Preds our of their shorts.” I love this kid’s game and think he could be a regular Top 6 player but I can’t stand this hyperbolic tire pumping for a guy who has now scored exactly one NHL goal.

Last edited:

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
It was a hell of a shot, for sure. The kid has a terrific wrister. But that play, waltzing into enemy territory basically solo (it was a 4 on 1 with MacEachern trailing), isn’t going to work that often, and is *still* sort of emblematic of what he has struggled with in his young career. He’s talented and skilled enough to make one-on-one plays, but can he effectively use/leverage his teammates? He’s gotten awfully close several times to knocking in a doorstep goal, and he’ll start converting on those soon, I’d bet. I just hope he doesn’t take yesterday’s goal as a sign that he *can* just do it all by himself. I’ve been pretty impressed with him so far, and he definitely brings some elements we need.

Reactions: MissouriMook

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
What concerns me the most is what Chief mentioned about him; he is not processing the game as quickly as he needs to.

His hockey IQ has been in question while in the AHL, but I hope he can overcome the processing issue.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
What concerns me the most is what Chief mentioned about him; he is not processing the game as quickly as he needs to.

His hockey IQ has been in question while in the AHL, but I hope he can overcome the processing issue.
You still view him as a bust?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
It was a hell of a shot, for sure. The kid has a terrific wrister. But that play, waltzing into enemy territory basically solo (it was a 4 on 1 with MacEachern trailing), isn’t going to work that often, and is *still* sort of emblematic of what he has struggled with in his young career. He’s talented and skilled enough to make one-on-one plays, but can he effectively use/leverage his teammates? He’s gotten awfully close several times to knocking in a doorstep goal, and he’ll start converting on those soon, I’d bet. I just hope he doesn’t take yesterday’s goal as a sign that he *can* just do it all by himself. I’ve been pretty impressed with him so far, and he definitely brings some elements we need.
His linemates are DLR and Mac.....not much to use their. Back in the Calgary game, I saw him set up a few plays and those 2 arent capable of keeping up with him. He's best to just do it himself, Tarasenko...ish.

fans and managment are making every excuse for Faulk to acclimate to the system...etc...etc. I'd like to hope they'd afford a 20yr old rookie more then a couple games to get it going. I still think he puts too much pressure on himself to get coaches attention, and thats hurting him.

Comparable?

What could he be? 45-55 point version of Lucic?

Not even close, much better skillset. Closer to a Jamie Benn.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
This has been one of my criticisms/concerns. If you watch his highlights it’s either and individual rush play or banging in the garbage. I like that he can do both, but where are the plays that involve his teammates?

At the NHL level, players will learn your tendencies if you are around long enough. Rage Thompson ran into that problem. You have to be able to use your teammates.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
If I recall, that line was late on a change and they were getting hemmed in a bit. He probably thought to bring it into the zone and wait it out to see if he had a trailing teammate, and if not dump it, but once he saw he had room and deked a guy out, he just took the shot and it went it. I noticed last night the Preds were really aggressive and 3 people made a deke at the blueline and got a lot of space that way, so he might have seen that and attempted the shot.

Reactions: MortiestOfMortys

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
This has been one of my criticisms/concerns. If you watch his highlights it’s either and individual rush play or banging in the garbage. I like that he can do both, but where are the plays that involve his teammates?

At the NHL level, players will learn your tendencies if you are around long enough. Rage Thompson ran into that problem. You have to be able to use your teammates.
Based on his NHL games, I think Kostin has used his teammates quite well, and based on what I heard about this aspect of his game. I’ve been expecting a much more selfish player.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I understand the criticism that he doesn't use his linemates well enough and it's very fair, I just don't think it's particularly applicable to that play. The rest of the team was on a line change so there was nowhere for him to go with the puck. I suppose it's possible he could've been stripped of the puck on that move in the neutral zone, which would've been disastrous, but he pretty clearly saw the opening and took it. I imagine if he was being pressured at all he likely would've dumped it in, but they kept backing up and he seized the opportunity.

I've liked his play for the most part and I'm really happy that he scored that goal. Should give him a bit more confidence. He was definitely more noticeable against Nashville than his first two games. He was getting in there, separating guys from the puck, and making good, smart plays with the puck all night. That's how he needs to play.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Not sure how to follow the logic that says if Kostin makes a great individual play to score a goal that shows he can't use his linemates.

He certainly brings out critics who just don't seem to want to see what he can do. Interesting to see if he drops the gloves Monday in Nashville when the cheap shots come from the Preds.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Not sure how to follow the logic that says if Kostin makes a great individual play to score a goal that shows he can't use his linemates.

He certainly brings out critics who just don't seem to want to see what he can do. Interesting to see if he drops the gloves Monday in Nashville when the cheap shots come from the Preds.

I don’t think one goal is the rationale people are using.

Reactions: MortiestOfMortys

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Kostin does need to improve his IQ and ability to use his linemates -- that play isn't an example of it. However, we don't need him to be an All-Star play driver. What we need is someone that can put the puck in the net. If we can get his linemates to use HIM, then we've got something here. Obviously that makes it more difficult for Kostin to stick somewhere as he needs good linemates to flourish, but I still think he could be useful to us in the here and now. I'd still prefer to send him back down after a bit with the specific instruction to learn how to use his linemates and read the ice better.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I actually think he’s used his linemates pretty well so far in these few games. I’ve seen him use his body to protect the puck below the goal line a few times and he dished some nice passes to guys out in front of the net.

Overall I’m very happy with what I’ve seen. In limited ice time, the potential is certainly flashing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad