Prospect Info: Klim Kostin (31st overall in 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
He got hammered by Ian McCoshen early in the second tonight and went down in a heap.

When he finally made it up, his (I think) left shoulder was hanging limp and he skated straight to the locker room and didnt return.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
He got hammered by Ian McCoshen early in the second tonight and went down in a heap.

When he finally made it up, his (I think) left shoulder was hanging limp and he skated straight to the locker room and didnt return.
Oh that's awesome.....

Spear

Anonymous source FOR HIRE
Sponsor
Mar 31, 2009
St. Louis, MO
giphy.gif

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

Oi vei. Didn’t realize what we have in St. Louis this year was contagious.

Ginger Papa

Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Kostin has such a bright future in the NHL. Let’s not forget how young he is. Another brilliant Army trade.

Canucks fan coming in peace. Crummy to hear of Klim's injury, I hope it's not serious.

As for a comparable, when I watched him in the preseason and his short stint over the last few games- I see a young Tom Wilson with more raw skill. Imagine the space he could open up for Thomas or Kyrou.

Cheers from the West

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Yeah - but i don't think there's any way Kostin tops out at more than 40-45 points/season. You can't be as skilled as a 90-point guy if you don't have the ability to match them point-for-point. I think you're grossly under-valuing the skill Benn has (had). I think we're looking at Berglund-type numbers from Klim, personally.

I still think there is a sizable gap between Schenn and Kostins skill level. I don't see Kostin being the playmaker Schenn is. In limited time in the AHL in his D+2 and D+3 years, Schenn had 19 points in 14 games, Kostin has 32 in 80 games. Kostin was good in the WJC, Schenn broke records. Everything Kostin has done up to this point, Schenn had done more. Maybe Kostin's body is better suited for the NHL, but the super athletes don't always develop in hockey. You can improve your strength, improving your vision or hockey sense is not as easy.

I simply don't buy the scoring upside with Kostin until he, you know, starts scoring. I know he has always played in men's leagues and has been pushed down the lineup, etc. That's fine, but scoring doesn't get any easier in the NHL. Until then, I still have him pegged as a 3rd line production/skill kind of guy. His shot might be legit, but a lot of 3rd liners have a good shot and don't do a lot else.

I honestly don't think these are fair assessments. We have a 20 year old forward who has played 4 NHL games and was buried on the 4th line most of the time. Way too premature to be setting limitations on this guy, especially considering that powerforwards take more time. Even Backes didn't start playing in the NHL until he was 22, and only really started booming until his mid 20s. I think Kostin has more raw skill than Backes, but whether he puts it all together remains to be seen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

STL BLUES

Youth Movement
Oct 22, 2013
Up-Nort

I wonder if it’s the same shoulder he injured pre draft that sent him down the order. This is really bad news.

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I think Kostin will be much more successful than Chris Stewart in The NHL, and I'm not a betting man (far from it), but I think I'd be willing to bet that Kostin will score more points per game that he plays in The NHL than Berglund (unless he goes back to Russia before playing 2 full seasons in The NHL).

I'll be surprised if he'll end up better than Jamie Benn. But, I think he might approach Schenn's career numbers, if things go right. I doubt if I'd bet big money on that. But, I think he's got a very good chance of scoring more than Berglund (who rarely set up his linemates). I think Kostin has suffered from having to learn The North American game at a very young age, plus bouncing around, not being with the same linemates very much. I think his offensive sense will be proven to be significantly better than Berglunds. I do agree that he'll start on The 3rd Line in The NHL, but thing his topside potential is as an average 2nd Liner. I hope he reaches that with The Blues, within 4 years from now.
Just to clarify, the Stewart comparison was just in relation to style for The first couple of years of his career in Colorado.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Done for the year? Wow, this season is rapidly turning into a shit show with these injuries.

Reactions: STL BLUES

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
Yeah, it was really bad. The camera panned away, but he was writhing in pain for 3 or 4 seconds and they way he jumped up and skated off, it's like he knew something was very wrong.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
has it been confirmed he's done for the year...or is that speculation?

I'm sure he'll be fine long-term. Missing two critical years of development is a sure-fire way to earn NHL playing time. (in Detroit)
In before your stated Detroit vultures start circling :sarcasm:

This is could almost be like buying a bond for them. Have one of our up and comers get hurt by one of their minor league teams, miss time with the injury and cash in on them in a couple of years :laugh:

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
I honestly don't think these are fair assessments. We have a 20 year old forward who has played 4 NHL games and was buried on the 4th line most of the time. Way too premature to be setting limitations on this guy, especially considering that powerforwards take more time. Even Backes didn't start playing in the NHL until he was 22, and only really started booming until his mid 20s. I think Kostin has more raw skill than Backes, but whether he puts it all together remains to be seen.
I think this is where the disconnect is, comparing him to NHL all stars like Backes or Schenn or Benn is assuming all the unknowns with Kostin go the right way (and in a big way) which is IMO pretty unrealistic. For every Backes/Benn that develops in the college/juniors/minors there are several Evgeny Grachevs or Valeri Nichushkins who don't. The most likely outcome is probably somewhere in the middle, so I don't think the Berglund/Stewart (big, enigmatic forwards) comparisons are too far off base. We knew he was gonna be a project when we drafted him, 2.5 years in, that hasn't changed, but he hasn't exactly set the world on fire either. But using a bunch of all stars as a comparison is certainly setting him up to disappoint.

I think the call-up forced this conversation, but we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that the reason he got called up was because we had 3 injuries in a short period and Kyrou was still just getting back on the ice. It sucks he got injured yesterday because if there is a player that just needs ice time, it's him.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
This is absolutely awful. If Klim wasn’t so big, we would likely have another Fabbri situation on our hands. That said, we still might. The poor kid was so excited to be here, then we send him back and he gets injured. An entire season lost. He’s got to feel awful right now. I hope the Blues are allowing him to rehab with Vlad and they become best friends.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
To be fair, this "done for the year" talk is based on nothing but how the hit looked. It's possible that the shoulder was simply dislocated...but in either event, I'm sure we'll find out today or tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad