Prospect Info: Klim Kostin (31st overall in 2017) - Part II

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Really hoping he doesn't have to do a full 10 day quarantine. Given the uptick in vaccine availability/distribution in the NHL compared to 6 weeks ago, a 5-7 day quarantine with daily negative tests seems sufficient. It is a bit odd that we haven't gotten a public number from the NHL, so I'm guessing the Blues are lobbying behind the scenes to get the number down. A 7 day quarantine would allow him to play in those (likely) meaningless games vs Minnesota, but a 10 day quarantine keeps him out of our facilities until the regular season has concluded.
They said he was going to be with taxi squad Tuesday. The NHL adopted 7 day back in March. It may be reduced. I haven't found anything more on it.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
First and foremost I don't expect him to be kaprizov. It's not like picked high scoring players on this team. I picked blais, Sanford, and Clifford. Kostins style is what this team needs great skating mixed with speed and a skilled hand. He was described as one of the top 3 players in the final series. I get it you wanna be cynical. No problem but if we are just going to stick with those three guys over kostin and what he has shown then I don't know what to tell you.

Dimitrij Jaskin is one of the top scorers in the KHL. Being one of the top 3 players in a KHL series doesn't mean he's shown anything at the NHL level.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
He will get that starting hopefully Wednesday or this weekend. If he gels and plays great will you say hey man ypu were right. Cause if he doesn't play I will say yeah man I was wrong.
I fully expect him to get in a couple games at the end of the year. But there is a significant gap to close before he's a better choice in a crucial playoff game. That will come with time and experience, or if the Blues make a deep enough run with the added ingredient of being the fresh guy left in reserve. There's nothing prophetic either way, or reason to say "I told you so." It just depends on the circumstances and how quickly he works his way into things.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
He will get that starting hopefully Wednesday or this weekend. If he gels and plays great will you say hey man ypu were right. Cause if he doesn't play I will say yeah man I was wrong.
He almost certainly will not. He has to quarantine.

He enters the US today and the current federal guidelines for an international arrival is a 7 day quarantine. We have to get him a work visa before he can play and there is next to no chance that this visa will allow him to play a hockey game the day after he arrives to the country in violation of CDC guidelines. The NHL is also mandating quarantine for international players arriving into the US. The last KHL player to come over had to do a 10 day quarantine per NHL rules. I think there is a decent chance that we can get away with a 5-7 day quarantine given the league's vaccine rollout and availability of daily testing. But a 0-4 day quarantine period is almost certainly outside the realm of possibility.

One of the major reasons people are hesitant to assume he can be an upgrade in the playoffs is that he will not be with the team to start gelling until a handful of days before playoffs start. It's a major factor.

I get it you wanna be cynical. No problem but if we are just going to stick with those three guys over kostin and what he has shown then I don't know what to tell you.

You're saying that we shouldn't bother showing up for the playoffs if we don't replace a 4th liner with a 22 year old with 4 NHL games of experience. And I'm the cynical one.

Sure.

I outlined comparisons to Kostin in my above post, but didn't outright ask the question: What has Kostin shown that Sanford/Blais haven't?

Sanford and Blais were both positive contributors to a Stanley Cup win while Kostin was on the Black Aces. I'm thrilled that Kostin was a big contributor to a KHL championship, but that league is not at all on par with the NHL. I don't view a guy playing 16 minutes a night en route to a KHL championship as more impressive than guys playing a complimentary role to a Stanley Cup run.

Sanford and Blais have both produced in the NHL at a pace greater than or equal to what Kostin did in the KHL. And that is comparing both regular season and playoff numbers. Blais outproduced Kostin in the AHL (both when they were there together and if you compare best year to best year).

Sanford is on our 2nd PK unit and has the 2nd most PK minutes among the forward group this year. The PK unit isn't all that great and with Sunny done for the year I'm not sure we can afford to take another decent killer out of the lineup. Blais hits like an animal. His 2.9 hits per game is miles ahead of our 2nd most frequent forward hitter (Schenn) and is exactly what Berube wants from the 4th line. Blais, Sanford and Clifford our 2nd, 3rd and 4th among our forwards in hits this year. Barby would be right up there with them if he hadn't been hurt. I'm not at all confident that Kostin is currently a more physical player than Barby and I am very confident that Blais is more physical.

He is a very good skater and he has a decent shot, but he has consistently struggled to translate those tools to offensive output as a pro. I am pretty confident that Kostin will be better than Sanford/Blais when he is their age, but I don't think it is accurate to say that the almost-22-year-old Kostin has demonstrated that he is there yet. I don't think he is better than Sanford or Blais at the roles/tasks currently keeping them in the lineup (PK and hitting respectively) and their offensive production at the NHL level has been ahead of Kostin's production in a lesser league.

I'm all for giving him the opportunity to prove himself, but he needs to play his way into the playoff lineup rather than been given a spot there because we don't like Sanford/Blais. The thing that complicates all this is that quarantine means that he won't be able to join the team in time to get an extended look in the regular season.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
They said he was going to be with taxi squad Tuesday. The NHL adopted 7 day back in March. It may be reduced. I haven't found anything more on it.
He is assigned to the taxi squad on Tuesday, which is fully a paper move that allows him to join the club immediately after quarantine. He can't join the team until he goes through quarantine.

From the Kostin article in the Athletic: "The quarantine could be seven days, 10 days, 14 days, who knows? As Armstrong said, there’s no timeline yet. New York Rangers prospect Vitali Kravtsov was able to begin practicing with the team on March 23 after arriving in the United States on March 13 following the end of his KHL team’s season."

This was also alluded to in the NHL.com article announcing that he was going on the taxi squad.

The NHL.com article titled "Kostin to Join the Taxi Squad Tuesday" has an immediate subtitle stating, "Forward will be required to quarantine before joining team on the ice."

The NHL still hasn't clarified how long quarantine will have to be, but there is zero reason to believe that a foreign player arriving from a foreign country on an expedited work visa will be allowed to ignore CDC guidelines and completely ignore a quarantine. Especially since the NHL has required a similarly situated player to follow the federal guidelines earlier this year.

The NHL has zero incentive to let a just-finished KHL player join an NHL team a day after getting off an international flight. On the remote chance that he later tests positive for COVID it would be a PR disaster. Even worse if it wound up impacting playoff start dates. Even if we call that a .000000001% chance, the NHL has no incentive to take that risk so that 1 team can get a guy on the ice a week quicker.

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Hey guys, just curious how you’re feeling about Kostin? Where do you see him next year and what’s a realistic projection for him in the coming years?

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Hey guys, just curious how you’re feeling about Kostin? Where do you see him next year and what’s a realistic projection for him in the coming years?

I guess he has a good shot at a rosterspot next season due to (potentially all of) Schwartz, Hoffman, Bozak, etc. leaving. The rosterspot is going to be his to lose, we know Doug Armstrong is a fan and is very happy with his progress. I'd guess he'll probably start with bottom 6 minutes but I can see Berube moving him up en down the lineup a bit like he did with Sanford, Barbashev and Blais. Projection for the next years is hard, but I'd guess middle 6 forward? I think 3rd line winger is probably his floor at this point.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I'd be surprised and disappointed if he can't leverage his KHL experience into making the opening roster next year, but he'll certainly need to earn that right in training camp. I don't know that he'll be a regular top 9 player immediately.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I'd be surprised and disappointed if he can't leverage his KHL experience into making the opening roster next year, but he'll certainly need to earn that right in training camp. I don't know that he'll be a regular top 9 player immediately.
I agree, but I will note that he is waivers exempt next year and is one of the few players competing for a job who is. Kyrou will no longer be exempt next season so he can't be temporarily stashed in the AHL to avoid putting a guy on waivers. All of Sanford, Blais, Barby, Mac, Clifford, and Poganski would require waivers if they don't make the 23 man roster, so I could see a scenario where Kostin is temporarily the odd man out to avoid losing a guy to waivers.

But we'll see what the offseason brings. With the expansion draft and a number of pending UFAs, it is super hard to predict what our roster could/will look like next year.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I agree, but I will note that he is waivers exempt next year and is one of the few players competing for a job who is. Kyrou will no longer be exempt next season so he can't be temporarily stashed in the AHL to avoid putting a guy on waivers. All of Sanford, Blais, Barby, Mac, Clifford, and Poganski would require waivers if they don't make the 23 man roster, so I could see a scenario where Kostin is temporarily the odd man out to avoid losing a guy to waivers.

But we'll see what the offseason brings. With the expansion draft and a number of pending UFAs, it is super hard to predict what our roster could/will look like next year.

I completely understand what you’re getting at here, but Sanford/Blais/Barby would all absolutely make the team if they’re still here, and none of Clifford/Mac/Poganski would get claimed off waivers.

Eldon Reid

Dec 13, 2018

With the expansion draft, I expect an opening for Kostin at 3rd line LW and if he shows up in pre season, he will get that spot. If he doesn't, off to the minors.

I think we will be lot more active this offseason than in previous seasons.

Reactions: CaliforniaBlues310

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I completely understand what you’re getting at here, but Sanford/Blais/Barby would all absolutely make the team if they’re still here, and none of Clifford/Mac/Poganski would get claimed off waivers.
I'm not thinking that Sanford/Blais/Barby wouldn't be good enough to make the team if they are here. My thought process is that Kostin may beat one of them for a specific role and make that player expendable. The team could internally pencil Kostin into that role and shop the player that Kostin beats out. But because he is waiver exempt, Kostin may have to chill in the AHL for a a couple weeks while we try to get an asset for the other player (Sanford, Blais, Barby). If you are trying to grab a mid-round pick for the guy Kostin beat out, you do that by playing them in the first month of the season rather than making them the 13th/14th forward.

I wouldn't put my money on that because I think that we will be moving on from enough forwards that we won't have a log jam.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I'm not thinking that Sanford/Blais/Barby wouldn't be good enough to make the team if they are here. My thought process is that Kostin may beat one of them for a specific role and make that player expendable. The team could internally pencil Kostin into that role and shop the player that Kostin beats out. But because he is waiver exempt, Kostin may have to chill in the AHL for a a couple weeks while we try to get an asset for the other player (Sanford, Blais, Barby). If you are trying to grab a mid-round pick for the guy Kostin beat out, you do that by playing them in the first month of the season rather than making them the 13th/14th forward.

I wouldn't put my money on that because I think that we will be moving on from enough forwards that we won't have a log jam.
U do know expansion is this July right?

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
When is the protected list due?
My guess would be about a week ahead of time, but certainly not before the end of the Cup Final. I don’t remember the exact date, I just remember reading that Seattle will have a few days before the draft to negotiate with any pending UFAs that aren’t protected and negotiate a contract. If they come to an agreement with that player prior to the draft, that becomes their selection from that players former team.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands

I'd put Barbashev above Sanford and Blais.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
I'd put Barbashev above Sanford and Blais.

Strongly agreed.

I'll also note that while I think Blues media praise of Blais is too effusive and their criticism of Sanford is often heavy-handed in a way from which the fixture veterans are unfairly spared, they don't say much about Barbashev one way or the other. But when Barbashev went down awkwardly late in the season and then took a shot off his foot after coming back, you could really hear in Pang's voice how much he thought the Blues needed Barbashev if they were going to have any success in the playoffs. Part of that is obviously the absence of Sundqvist, but for a player who kinda flies under the radar, it was telling to hear that kind of comment. Blais is a nice kid and everybody's rooting for him. Sanford seems to have more ability than the resulting package. But Barbashev is one who moves the Team Success needle.

Reactions: Apitheous

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Strongly agreed.

I'll also note that while I think Blues media praise of Blais is too effusive and their criticism of Sanford is often heavy-handed in a way from which the fixture veterans are unfairly spared, they don't say much about Barbashev one way or the other. But when Barbashev went down awkwardly late in the season and then took a shot off his foot after coming back, you could really hear in Pang's voice how much he thought the Blues needed Barbashev if they were going to have any success in the playoffs. Part of that is obviously the absence of Sundqvist, but for a player who kinda flies under the radar, it was telling to hear that kind of comment. Blais is a nice kid and everybody's rooting for him. Sanford seems to have more ability than the resulting package. But Barbashev is one who moves the Team Success needle.

The most frustrating thing about his injury was the fact that he had been playing perhaps the best hockey of his career leading up to it. When he was moved up to the ROR/Perron line due to the injuries he was starting to show more offensive ability than in the past and looked like a legit middle six 2-way forward. I liked the way he stepped up and I hope he can build on that next year.

Regarding Kostin, if he doesn't get a legit shot to make the team next year I wonder how long it is before he starts taking it personally. I'm not saying he should, but when he's got options in the KHL I can't imagine him being happy with anything less than an NHL roster spot at this point.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
The most frustrating thing about his injury was the fact that he had been playing perhaps the best hockey of his career leading up to it. When he was moved up to the ROR/Perron line due to the injuries he was starting to show more offensive ability than in the past and looked like a legit middle six 2-way forward. I liked the way he stepped up and I hope he can build on that next year.

Regarding Kostin, if he doesn't get a legit shot to make the team next year I wonder how long it is before he starts taking it personally. I'm not saying he should, but when he's got options in the KHL I can't imagine him being happy with anything less than an NHL roster spot at this point.

I'd expect that if Kostin isn't a regular by season's end, he takes that Gregarin Cup performance and parlays it into a deal in the KHL.

I'd hope that after all the work he's done to play in the NHL, he's given a long look and makes the team out of camp. I'd hope that he's given an opportunity in a 3rd (or higher) line role this season - enough to encourage him to stay and convince him he's not just going to be a 4th line grinder or AHL tweener for us. I'm not saying gift him that role, but if we have an injury opening, give him a taste of what he has dreamed of... Hope it brings out the best in him.

I've had strong belief Kostin was going to be a force and just needed time to develop - I'm really hoping to see the dividends start to show this year, before he sours on the team's handling of his development.

Last edited:

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
Kostin will be given a good look next season for sure and I bet he becomes a lineup regular next year, I think he's ready. Army loved his game while he was in the KHL, that has to bode well for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad