Prospect Info: Klim Kostin (31st overall in 2017) - Part II

ThunderCat

Feb 16, 2019
I hope he gets a shot to play with the Blues this year.. on a line with proven players/playmakers.

Hope he doesn't go to waste without a real opportunity.. and without him being tempted to stay in Russia.

Would like to see that shot more!!

Interesting article from 2017..
#1 ranked European player in the Draft.
2017 Draft Profile: Klim Kostin

Last edited:

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Maybe it’s becoming evident that Klim doesn’t carry a line, but I’d love to see him on the top 9 and play with legit NHL caliber players. I think the best is yet to come from him. Once he gains his confidence, he’ll be a force.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Maybe it’s becoming evident that Klim doesn’t carry a line, but I’d love to see him on the top 9 and play with legit NHL caliber players. I think the best is yet to come from him. Once he gains his confidence, he’ll be a force.

I'd like to see Kostin get a chance to play with Bozak and sunny. Not offensively gifted, but definitely not plugs either. Also defensively sound enough to cover for Kostin's rookie mistakes, hopefully he perceives them as skilled enough to not try and do it all himself (a common criticism I hear about him is he doesn't utilize his linemates adequately, let alone well).

A good showing with Bozie and Sunny could lead to a trial in the top 6, to see if there's any chemistry to warrant juggling lines a bit.

Spear

Anonymous source FOR HIRE
Sponsor
Mar 31, 2009
St. Louis, MO
I wouldn't mind him on a line with Bozak and Sunny, either. I'd also like to see him on PP2 as a net-front presence.

ThunderCat

Feb 16, 2019
Does anybody remember the rumors..

How the Blues were actually interested in Eeli Tolvanen instead of Kostin??

He ended up going 30th to the Preds.. right before the Blues picked Kostin with the 31st.

I've heard mixed things about Eeli Tolvanen, his numbers look good so far.. but it will be interesting to how he turns out compared to Kostin!

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
So what if he was the #1 ranked European skater per Central Scouting in their final draft rankings It means squat. It's not like CSS's rankings are gospel - just like no one else's rankings are gospel. Not Craig Button's, not McKeen's, not ISS, not EliteProspects, not Corey Pronman, not Dobber Hockey, ... no one. They all screw up getting guys ranked correctly where they ultimately perform.

What matters is what he's actually doing on the ice. So far, he's apparently not doing what he needs in the eyes of the staff to earn an NHL spot. If he scores goals and is lousy on the ice, ... well, sadly the archives are gone or I'd go dig out 137 threads ripping on Brad Boyes for doing exactly that, but I'm sure I can go find 1402 threads on lots of other guys who are or have been in the NHL and do that too.

ThunderCat

Feb 16, 2019
So what if he was the #1 ranked European skater per Central Scouting in their final draft rankings It means squat. It's not like CSS's rankings are gospel - just like no one else's rankings are gospel. Not Craig Button's, not McKeen's, not ISS, not EliteProspects, not Corey Pronman, not Dobber Hockey, ... no one. They all screw up getting guys ranked correctly where they ultimately perform.

What matters is what he's actually doing on the ice. So far, he's apparently not doing what he needs in the eyes of the staff to earn an NHL spot. If he scores goals and is lousy on the ice, ... well, sadly the archives are gone or I'd go dig out 137 threads ripping on Brad Boyes for doing exactly that, but I'm sure I can go find 1402 threads on lots of other guys who are or have been in the NHL and do that too.

I don't care if he was the #1 European player at the time either... just stating the fact in a Kostin forum!

Means he's got some potential..

Brockon

Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
I don't care if he was the #1 European player at the time either... just stating the fact in a Kostin forum!

Means he's got some potential..

Right? That and a bus ticket will get you a ride on the bus.

At a certain point, draft stock alone won't even keep a high pick in the AHL. Kosti produced well enough to stay in the A, based on last season and how he was trending year to year... But, he certainly needs to show more to force his way onto the NHL roster permanently.

At this point, I expect Kostin is first call up if we lose a top 9 forward. But he should be kept in the AHL over being brought up to fill in a 4th line role.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

ThunderCat

Feb 16, 2019

At a certain point, draft stock alone won't even keep a high pick in the AHL. Kosti produced well enough to stay in the A, based on last season and how he was trending year to year... But, he certainly needs to show more to force his way onto the NHL roster permanently.

At this point, I expect Kostin is first call up if we lose a top 9 forward. But he should be kept in the AHL over being brought up to fill in a 4th line role.

I hear what your saying.. but I'm still not ready to give up on him.

I'd take scouts opinion.. in which scouting's their job over "Arm chair Gm's"..

That includes me.. not takin shots Btw!

ThunderCat

Feb 16, 2019

And yesss... I agree that Kostin should not be brought up, unless it's top-9 role!

Edit: Didn't mean to quote myself.. but I'm sure you see what I'm sayin...

Brockon

Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada

I don't think you've seen the build up to this... I've been fairly vocal about saying Kostin should see either steady NHL action this season or be 0.8+ PPG in the AHL based on similar prospects development curves.

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/174507583/bookmark

Value of: - Kostin to Habs

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/174552370/bookmark

Those strike me as the more pertinent posts I've made about Kostin and his progress. But, ultimately this season and next (D+4 and D+5) are going to be his make or break seasons with the Blues. I expect he's traded before the end of the 2021-22 season as part of a package if he hasn't forced his way onto the team in some capacity, before he becomes an AHL fixture.

Reactions: ThunderCat

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
He's not producing a ton(also playing 3rd line mins), but his pro details of the game are miles ahead of where they were a year and two years ago. His game has come a long way and even though the points haven't come yet, I think they're on their way, he's commited to doing things the right way and breaking out of his russian jr habits. Even if he tops out as a role player and middle 6 tweener, that's still great value for a 31st ov pick with that kind of puck protection and scoring ability

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I don't think you've seen the build up to this... I've been fairly vocal about saying Kostin should see either steady NHL action this season or be 0.8+ PPG in the AHL based on similar prospects development curves.
Way too many people fail to understand why development curves between apparently similar-looking prospects really aren't the same. Much of that is because people don't bother to look beyond raw numbers.

Giving away part of a multi-million dollar idea there. I leave it to others to start to figure it out as well.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006

JoshFromMO

Apr 6, 2015
Missoura
Pretty much what I expected to see written. He seems a lot like an MPS type player in his development. Great tools with no box.
I'm trying to think of a player like "Young David Backes without the offensive IQ" but I'm having trouble coming up with a name

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Stewart. He sounds like Stewart.

I think another issue is there is no sense of urgency in him. He needs to want to make something happen every shift. But he doesn’t.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
The reason I brought up MPS is as a comparable developmentally. That and the no tool box comparison. They are not very similar players in terms of style.

Both were highly rated going into their draft. Both had strong WJC showings. Expectations were high coming out of their drafts by many, but red flags popped up for some about their lack of IQ. Both had some really nice tools that showed well against younger players, but not so well against professional ones. Those big bodies, with straight line speed and supposedly good shots just don’t seem to do much offensively against men. And, as more people saw their play, more questioned their tool box and expectations started to drop fairly quickly.

Reactions: simon IC

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Stewart. He sounds like Stewart.

I think another issue is there is no sense of urgency in him. He needs to want to make something happen every shift. But he doesn’t.
Stewart had an explosiveness to his game that Kostin seems to lack.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad