Prospect Info: Klim Kostin (31st overall in 2017) - Part II

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
He should, but I just hope the Blues don’t mess with his head regarding defensive responsibilities and being strictly a north/south player. I think the kid still wants to be a goal scorer. Just wish the Blues would let him loose. I remember Bill Armstrong compared him to Backes. We can only hope.
The bolded... ??? Do you mean to say you don't want the Blues to teach him defensive hockey, and the concept of team defense, in order to make him a two-dimensional, and therefore better all-around player?

Last edited:
Reactions: Blueston

Thallis

Progression is not linear
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
He should, but I just hope the Blues don’t mess with his head regarding defensive responsibilities and being strictly a north/south player. I think the kid still wants to be a goal scorer. Just wish the Blues would let him loose. I remember Bill Armstrong compared him to Backes. We can only hope.

Hate to be the party pooper here but Kostin isn't really an offensive dyanamo that he can afford to play poor defense.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Kostin will definitely need to round out his game. Thomas, too. If those two can improve defensively it will help a lot.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
It’s almost like some folks on here want to emulate Oil and Sabres. Team like Tampa doesn’t just throw kids out there. They bring them along deliberately, train them in AHL, and break them into lineup in role they can handle. Seems like maybe that is better path to develop team, eh?

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
But you learn from experience. You can’t gauge what you need to improve on until you play. Did you see the difference in Kyrou this past season? That’s because he had 44 games experience the previous 2 seasons. You can’t learn to get better without NHL experience. Kostin should of had a similar amount of games under his belt coming into this season and he doesn’t. He’s behind the curve.
And we also have seen what bringing players up too early can do. Combined with there was really no room for him yet or visa issues last season.

Cup winning season- wasn't ready
Next season- Blues were on an absolute tear, really no reason to effect the chemistry.
Last season- visa issues that kept in him in the KHL.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
It’s almost like some folks on here want to emulate Oil and Sabres. Team like Tampa doesn’t just throw kids out there. They bring them along deliberately, train them in AHL, and break them into lineup in role they can handle. Seems like maybe that is better path to develop team, eh?
Of course, but an exception may arise.

If Kostin is competent enough in camp and preseason, then he should at least be a healthy scratch.

My reasoning is that I think he needs a boost or he may turn off. Immature, I know, but there are exceptions.

And this is coming from someone who has not been a fan of Kostin at all.

I just think that sometimes there needs to be a compromise.

Regarding the post above, the Blues do not have a habit of throwing kids into the mix. Perron and Thomas, however, come to mind.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Of course, but an exception may arise.

If Kostin is competent enough in camp and preseason, then he should at least be a healthy scratch.

My reasoning is that I think he needs a boost or he may turn off. Immature, I know, but there are exceptions.

And this is coming from someone who has not been a fan of Kostin at all.

I just think that sometimes there needs to be a compromise.

Regarding the post above, the Blues do not have a habit of throwing kids into the mix. Perron and Thomas, however, come to mind.
They also don't have a habit of letting young players who are ready languish in the minors. Both of the examples you mention are guys who forced their way onto the roster. That's exactly what Kostin needs to do, and what I think he will do. Moreover, from coach and Armstrong comments, I think the team expect him to do that too. This forum discussion is probably over-worrying about a non-issue.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
I think there's an awful lot of sweating over Klim. From what I've read and heard, this past season in the KHL was HUGE for Kostin - all signs point towards him being ready for NHL time. I suspect that he gets pressbox time to observe some games, but he should be playing 70+/82 games unless he gets hurt.

I posted an interview with Bob Hartley discussing Kostin and his approach to this past season earlier (here the link is again) Bob Hartley Klim Kostin's physicality, his adjustment to the NHL and what he focused on in the KHL – 101 ESPN

Reactions: Mike Liut

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Which Backes? The David Backes whose development the Blues ruined by keeping him in the NCAA and then the AHL until after his 22nd birthday?

But you learn from experience. You can’t gauge what you need to improve on until you play.
Kostin turned 22 a couple months ago. 21 years olds (and younger) absolutely can learn and improve in the AHL and KHL. There is absolutely zero evidence to support a notion that teenagers and guys in their early 20s can't learn unless they are in the NHL.

Did you see the difference in Kyrou this past season? That’s because he had 44 games experience the previous 2 seasons. You can’t learn to get better without NHL experience. Kostin should of had a similar amount of games under his belt coming into this season and he doesn’t. He’s behind the curve.
Kyrou had 43 points in 47 AHL games in his first pro year as a 20 year old. Kostin had 30 in 48 games when he was 20. At 20 (and 21), Kyrou's skating was better than any single skill in Kostin's toolbox at comparable ages. Kyrou got NHL chances because he looked noticeably better in the AHL. He wasn't NHL ready and was repeatedly sent back down to the AHL to keep developing. If we're talking about a "curve" when comparing Kostin and Kyrou, then you at least need to acknowledge that Kostin was behind Kyrou's curve well before either stepped foot on NHL ice.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a 31st overall "only" having 6 games of NHL experience by their 22nd birthday. It is just ridiculous to believe that a 21 year old with a career high of 31 points in a pro season has hit the point of his development where he can only learn by playing NHL games.

Edit: With all that said, I want Kostin on the NHL roster this season. After everything we heard about his KHL season, I want him to be given an opportunity to force his way onto the lineup, even if that means he has to do it as a healthy scratch instead of logging games in the AHL. I think now is the time to force him to sink or swim at the NHL level. But none of that means that it was wrong to wait until he was 22 to do that.

Last edited:

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I would love to see him do it.
upload_2021-7-26_19-28-45.gif

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
How's he looked?
He's coming along very nicely this season. At times you can tell it's his first full season in the league and he hasn't quite put it all together yet. But there is positive progression IMO. I think he has a very good chance to be an impactful top 6 player, but it's going to take him some time to figure things out.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
If he clears, is there any risk of him pursuing an option outside of playing in the AHL this year? He had every opportunity to get called up last year, but couldn't make himself the best option when other guys got hurt. There doesn't seem to be much reason to believe he's in any better of a position now.

Not sure who would bother to claim him. If I were Klim, I would want a fresh start in a different organization.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
If he clears, is there any risk of him pursuing an option outside of playing in the AHL this year? He had every opportunity to get called up last year, but couldn't make himself the best option when other guys got hurt. There doesn't seem to be much reason to believe he's in any better of a position now.

Not sure who would bother to claim him. If I were Klim, I would want a fresh start in a different organization.
He is under contract, so he can’t play in any other league without Blues’ permission.

Reactions: MissouriMook

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
I was way off on this one. I was so excited on draft night when the Blues swung both Kostin and Thomas(I was honestly hoping they'd take Kostin at 20 instead of Thomas). I feel for him because he dedicated his life to North American hockey playing in the AHL as a teenager and living on the other side of the planet from the rest of his family. I hope he gets another shot in like Philly or something to see if he can ever put it together, but I really doubt it. Nothing good seems to happen when he's on the ice.

I will share my fondest memory of Klim. It was I think his first preseason game against the Stars. He was on a line with Thomas. He laid a huge hit on a guy while on the forecheck right at the blue line, kept the puck in the zone, fed Thomas who buried it, but the goal didn't count because a Stars player started fighting Klim and Kostin beat his ass pretty good. Place was going nuts for a preseason game. That play got me so pumped, but that's about his best shift as a Blue that I can really remember.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->