Kitchener Rangers 2022 Off-season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

K2

Jun 11, 2015
Veremyev - No.
Puzzling to me. To my knowledge there’s no NCAA option for him.
Colorado College commit in Dec 2021. CC is in Colorado Springs and is a compelling school with impressive hockey facilities; the U17 Five Nations tourney is happening there now. The Veremyev trade here is still puzzling but there must have been some meaningful dialogue with MM at some point. I suspect we're on the radar in a big way if he sours on the NJ->CO move or school in general and perhaps if he miraculously catches an eye as a FA at a pro camp ... ?

The Christopolous brothers were a package deal. They were split up last year. Never say never.
Agreed. There's a NTC giving the bros a veto to anything unsavory but I anticipate MM could well have several dramatic deck-shuffling scenarios in the queue if multiple high-end draftees report and any outbound trades could prove to be win-win arrangements.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gondrex

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
I think even getting a 12th for Brady Schwindt is fair value. Brady just signed with Elmira for next season from what I see. He was 8th in forward points for the U18 team last year. Add the chance to add a player like Veremyev. This trade is a win for sure for MM. Brady would never make this team next season so adding a pick is good enough.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Good point on Longacre's (06) situation. Assuming Hamara (04) signs, if the team would want to have a somewhat balanced DOB mix, arguably your top four D-men would be Hamara, Hunter B (04), Schmidt (03), Motew (03). Having an OA on the backend might be a good thing. Whether or not that is Harper (02) would need to be determined. Assuming Andonovski (05) and Longacre (06) to round it all out would leave an interesting situation for J Leblanc (04) and Hollet (03). What would you do on the backend ?

I think we all agreed that if we can sign even half of our potential prospects, some trades were going to have to be made. As it sits right now, I have Hollett as the 7th defenseman. IMO, Hamara signs and Hollet is gone. Add Longacre and I would lean toward sending off Leblanc and possibly bro. Given this, I think we have the resources to upgrade our OA situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gondrex

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I think we all agreed that if can sign even half of our potential prospects, some trades were going to have to be made. As it sits right now, I have Hollett as the 7th defenseman. IMO, Hamara signs and Hollet is gone. Add Longacre and I would lean toward sending off Leblanc and possibly bro. Given this, I think we have the resources to upgrade our OA situation.
If the LeBlanc’s were moved they’d bring in decent value to go towards bringing in a ringer or two at the deadline.

If Veremyev doesn’t come and Mesar, Hamara, Longacre and Hage do, then we could break camp like this:

Rehkopf-Pinelli-Mesar
Martin-Serpa-Valade
Sop-Hage-Fishman
Zidlicky-Mercer-Swick

Pugliese
Bottineau
Miseljevic

Schmidt-Brzustewicz
Hamara-Motew
Harper-Andonovski
Hollett-Longacre

Parsons
Vandenberg

That’s pretty good. That would get us to at least, I would say, 4th in the conference? Certainly worthy of a couple good ads at the deadline. Maybe an upgrade on D and a top six forward.

How we deal with our third OA spot is interesting. Harper could impress (Nolet repeat?).

If not, maybe we go with a third OA forward? Hamilton is selling. Left-wing George Diaco might look good beside Pinelli moving Rehkopf down to strengthen the third line.

Or maybe we go after a better OA defenseman. Renwick out of Windsor?

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
This from the OHL prediction thread......

1) Petes
2) Barrie*2
3) Mississauga
4) Niagara
5) North Bay
6) Ottawa
7) Sudbury
8) Hamilton
9) Kingston
10) Oshawa

1) Flint*1
2) Guelph
3) OS
4) Kitchener
5) Windsor
6) Saginaw
7) Sarnia
8) London
9) Erie
10) Soo

Regarding the west, as things stand now, I pretty much agree with the west as shown above. I see a gap between 3rd and 4th. If the Rangers get both Hamara and Mesar, the gap changes to between 4th and 5th IMO, and who knows where Kitchener finishes within that top 4 at that point.

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
Makes sense geographically. But we’d want picks in return and Niagara has traded most of their high picks in recent trades.

Actually EvenSteven I was circling back to your Sam Dickinson post. I was dreaming up a deal that included the Leblancs (1st and 2nd round 04's) + someone like Longacre (06) replaced by Dickenson (06) DOB-wise, and whatever else you want to throw in to make the deal.

I admit the flaws in this proposal. For one thing Longacre isn't even signed yet, and secondly I'm not sure of the rule about trading 06's at this point on the calendar. In the end Niagara would likely be looking for picks in any Dickinson deal anyway. So probably not happening.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Actually EvenSteven I was circling back to your Sam Dickinson post. I was dreaming up a deal that included the Leblancs (1st and 2nd round 04's) + someone like Longacre (06) replaced by Dickenson (06) DOB-wise, and whatever else you want to throw in to make the deal.

I admit the flaws in this proposal. For one thing Longacre isn't even signed yet, and secondly I'm not sure of the rule about trading 06's at this point on the calendar. In the end Niagara would likely be looking for picks in any Dickinson deal anyway. So probably not happening.
For a defective player, only picks can go the other way. No players or rights to players.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
For a defective player, only picks can go the other way. No players or rights to players.
Plus, unless Dickinson has named the Rangers as the only team he will report to, therefore handcuffing Niagara, they will likely be able to demand, and get, a Will Cuylle return (2nd. 2nd. 2nd*. 3rd. 3rd. 3rd.)

That’s steep. But he is the fourth overall pick and the top defenceman selected in the draft. For me, he may be worth the price.

Now I suppose there could be a two-part deal with Niagara where we get Dickinson for picks, and then later we send, say, the twins to Niagara for a package of picks that would include picks comparable to the picks involved in a Dickinson deal.

Turning players that we may deem expendable in an “all in” year into part of a package for a player like Dickinson would be appealing.

Last edited:

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
You can always make a handshake deal for these players - Matthew Maggio was apart of the Michael DiPietro trade and was traded in the offseason to complete the deal.
These deals happen from time to time. Not very often though. Rangers have been involved in a couple over the last 15 years or so.

Kadri / Mason in 08.
Bracco / Stanley in 17.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
I haven't seen any training camp schedule. Likely not released yet. With the first X-game on Sept 4th, I'm trying to work backwards from there, but can't recall roughly the number of days from start of training camp to the first X-game. Anyone have a reasonable guess on the start of camp? I'm trying to make plans ahead of time.

K2

Jun 11, 2015
I haven't seen any training camp schedule. Likely not released yet. With the first X-game on Sept 4th, I'm trying to work backwards from there, but can't recall roughly the number of days from start of training camp to the first X-game. Anyone have a reasonable guess on the start of camp? I'm trying to make plans ahead of time.

Following prior, regular year tradition I'd guess either Mon 29th - Weds 31st or (more common) Weds 31st - Fri 2nd before the Sunday FanFest game.

Last edited:

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
Following prior, regular year tradition I'd guess either Mon 29th - Weds 31st or (more common) Weds 31st - Fri 2nd before the Sunday FanFest game.

Compliments of Zach Foss - Director of Ticket Operations - regarding the Training Camp Schedule........

"Our Communications Team is in the process of putting together a release that will be going out today. Details will be available on our website."

Mar 12, 2009
doubt Hamara or Mesar sign until after NHL training camp.
Maybe a Longacre signing (still doesn't have a place listed to play, despite being one of the last NTDP cuts, and no college commitments for the future) but I'm not getting my hopes up for Hage at this point. MM has to decide if he's going to gamble that Hage doesn't get the ice he wants on a stacked Chicago Steel team and/or is a 16 year old kid who realizes Chicago is very far away from Toronto/family/home; or if he's going to take the safe money, declare him defective or trade him and get the compensatory pick around 10th overall next year .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad