Kitchener Rangers 2022 Off-season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Definitely agree with your scenarios. Will be interesting to see how Fishman fits in what you have layed out. Also, it will be interesting to see if guys like Sop, A LeBlanc, and Swick can make that big jump in numbers. That certainly can happen. Serpa himself is a good example of that.

I never thought of a situation of having all three OA's as forwards. I kinda like that idea, and it could become reality if Hamara comes, Brzustewicz plays as advertised and Schmidt is as steady as ever. In this case at the trade deadline would they upgrade that 4th position ? Generally it is (arguably) the veteran-laden teams that make it all the way. Ideally Motew, as an (03) would be that guy and it wouldn't cost the team anything. Then again J LeBlanc (though an 04) might make leap in his development, and maybe that is good enough.
Going with three OA’s up front is nothing new for us. We went in that direction in 19-20 when we went all in. Yantsis, Hawel, and Meireles where a fine trio of OA’s.

Fishman for me is a wild card. An “addition for nothing” if you will. I have him playing in the top six if Mesar is a no-show.

Post trade deadline, if we were to adding a forward like Diaco for example, it would push a Rehkopf to the third line to play with Fishman and one of Sop, Swick, or Leblanc. If Fishman does impress, and LeBlanc comes around, our three top forward lines would be impressive to say the least.

Diaco-Pinelli-Mesar
Martin-Serpa-Valade
LeBlanc-Rehkopf-Fishman

That’s could be three high end lines.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Going with three OA’s up front is nothing new for us. We went in that direction in 19-20 when we went all in. Yantsis, Hawel, and Meireles where a fine trio of OA’s.

Fishman for me is a wild card. An “addition for nothing” if you will. I have him playing in the top six if Mesar is a no-show.

Post trade deadline, if we were to adding a forward like Diaco for example, it would push a Rehkopf to the third line to play with Fishman and one of Sop, Swick, or Leblanc. If Fishman does impress, and LeBlanc comes around, our three top forward lines would be impressive to say the least.

Diaco-Pinelli-Mesar
Martin-Serpa-Valade
LeBlanc-Rehkopf-Fishman

That’s could be three high end lines.

That's the kind of 3rd line that can make a team very competitive. I'm expecting good to very good seasons from all three.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Zidlicky - Hage - Mercer

Other options too but that’s not a bad 4th line at all. We are all leaving out Zidlicky but I think he could have a surprisingly good year.
Not forgetting Zidlicky at all. I just mentioned our top three lines.

For me, I have Zidlicky and Mercer ranked ahead of Pugliese, Miseljevic, even Swick.

We have to get our 05’s decent minutes this year.

Reactions: flamebird

K2

Jun 11, 2015
For me, I have Zidlicky and Mercer ranked ahead of Pugliese, Miseljevic, even Swick.
All 5 seem poised to make some noise this season, especially with a ton of work & ice over the Summer. I'm thinking all the postseason games last season could have really lifted Miseljevic & Swick too but they'll all be better and hopefully Fishman and LeBlanc (A) are big contributors too. Presents a problem, especially with each elite addition, to find some ice ...& even bench... for everyone but with MM being the full-time GM time now I expect some bold moves as soon as all the import and draftee scenarios are set.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
All 5 seem poised to make some noise this season, especially with a ton of work & ice over the Summer. I'm thinking all the postseason games last season could have really lifted Miseljevic & Swick too but they'll all be better and hopefully Fishman and LeBlanc (A) are big contributors too. Presents a problem, especially with each elite addition, to find some ice ...& even bench... for everyone but with MM being the full-time GM time now I expect some bold moves as soon as all the import and draftee scenarios are set.
It’s nice to have an excess of talent. Let’s hope it proves to be true.

Puts us in a position where we can deal bodies for high picks like that team down the 401. You know, the team who’s model we were trying to copy.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
All 5 seem poised to make some noise this season, especially with a ton of work & ice over the Summer. I'm thinking all the postseason games last season could have really lifted Miseljevic & Swick too but they'll all be better and hopefully Fishman and LeBlanc (A) are big contributors too. Presents a problem, especially with each elite addition, to find some ice ...& even bench...

So true. If we had a similar scenario at last season's training camp, we could have been wondering about Serpa's future too since all we could go by at that point were his 2019-20 season numbers (5-9-14). He took a big leap forward in my opinion. Mind you, there was that COVID delay, and with a somewhat leaner camp then compared to today, arguably he was given a better chance to prove himself.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
To be fair, they dropped him from that role fairly quickly and instantly improved. Not to slam him as he has some upside but I have him more in the middling category. He needs to take a big step.
He does have upside and he did make the team. He was also still listed on the top line for the semi final against Sweden. So I'd say he did pretty well. We'll see if the experience helps him make a bigger step this season.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Yes, let's hope no additional signings etc for quite a while is just the calm before the storm and that MM is set to pounce. It's been way too quiet. Waiting patiently (not) for the training camp list to come out next week.

TheAud

Jan 30, 2022
Cambridge, ON
Too much uncertainty in Kitchener. As far as I can recall, only one 2022 draftee signed (Bottineau). Neither import committed yet.

Multiple teams with preseason rosters announced on the OHL website and nothing yet from the Rangers. Multiple “Future Watch” videos from multiple teams on the OHL website but with no new signings outside of Bottineau and Brzustewicz, nothing to report.

Whatever you're smokin, give me some. Rangers preseason roster has been on the website for at least a week now: Kitchener Rangers .... Future Watch is up and there's no sway from any other video, Michael Hage is our feature: Futures Watch: Kitchener Rangers – Ontario Hockey League .... And what's the rush on reporting? We don't have a regular season game for over another month. There's no reward for announcing guys the quickest.

Kitchener could very easily get Longacre, Hamara, and Mesar all signed in the next month. They could already be done too. Who knows.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Reporting on signings is free publicity. My hope is they're just kicking the can down the road closer to camp.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Whatever you're smokin, give me some. Rangers preseason roster has been on the website for at least a week now: Kitchener Rangers .... Future Watch is up and there's no sway from any other video, Michael Hage is our feature: Futures Watch: Kitchener Rangers – Ontario Hockey League .... And what's the rush on reporting? We don't have a regular season game for over another month. There's no reward for announcing guys the quickest.

Kitchener could very easily get Longacre, Hamara, and Mesar all signed in the next month. They could already be done too. Who knows.
I posted that late last week. At the time, there was nothing on the OHL website regarding future watch for the Rangers and no preseason roster on the OHL website.

Thanks for coming out!!

• Haha
Reactions: GeoBlue

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
The height and weight information looks like a cut & paste from last years roster....which I guess can be expected. Likely updated after training camp.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rangers True Blue

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
If you look at the timelines for NHL camps, you won’t see Hamara or Mesar signed before at least this time next month.

I expect Hamara will be sent here relatively shortly after the rookie tournament but I expect Mesar to likely get at least one or two exhibition games with Montreal and possibly even start the season with Laval. So I don’t think we’ll know much with certainty until close to October.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
I posted that late last week. At the time, there was nothing on the OHL website regarding future watch for the Rangers and no preseason roster on the OHL website.

Thanks for coming out!!

The funniest part of this thread is that TheAud asked the same question less than 2 hours BEFORE your post a week ago! LOL!

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
Chicago Steel’s head coach just left to take an AHL job. Wonder if that’ll factor at all in Hage’s plans?
Coaching won’t affect his decision

hage to Kitchener was set up. He will be in a rangers jersey this year. He may come later (mid season ) but he will be in Kitchener. at some point this year. I’d bet sooner than later

Reactions: flamebird

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
The height and weight information looks like a cut & paste from last years roster....which I guess can be expected. Likely updated after training camp.
Yup....they do that every year. Players that are currently returning. When the dust (ice) clears, it will be updated.

flamebird

Jul 28, 2007
Hamara*** - Schmidt
BRZ - Motew
Andonovski - J. LeBlanc
Harper - Hollet

Opening Night pairings predictions:

Hamara gets reassigned by Ottawa after camp and is sent to the OHL to adjust to the NA game. Paired with Schmidt, pretty straight forward.

USNDTP defenseman gets inserted into the top-4 to start the year, paired with veteran Motew. Not sure if I like the styles of both players beside eachother... I can see many odd man rushes coming our way, but a lot of offense equally produced from this pair.

Andonovski and LeBlanc both entering their sophmore seasons. Were both very solid down the stretch. Andonovski being a LHD (only 2 on the roster I believe) combined with rugged style may be better moving into the top-4 to compliment an offensive Dman. J. LeBlanc with added confidence and a year under his belt may force a tough decision with Motew.

Harper and Hollet, prime trade candidates given the talent, age, depth of defenseman already on the depth chart. With Longacre waiting for a contract, Terrance ('22 Draft DMan), and a potential 07 defenseman draft pick a year from now, Hollet's days are numbered as I don't see him as an OA in a year. Harper being an OA outside of the top-4 defenseman is not beneficial for development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad