Kitchener Rangers 2022 Off-season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Questions:

K. Hazzard’s mention of C-Macchione has me wondering. Are there any more past drafted players in the mix for this year? I am unsure on Macchione. Is he even a player for us this season? Time will tell.

But how about C-Dylan McFadden. He was at camp last year and was cut. Was that because we maxed out our 16 year old quota? Did he impress? Is he a player that we took a flyer on in the fifth round or did we draft him where he was ranked? Could he crack this year‘s lineup?

Also, C-Ryan Fine is apparently a player we took a flyer on. Any chance he reports this year? Does he have NCAA commitments?

Outside of the obvious who have been discussed on here (Fegaras. Gauthier. Kaplan) is there anyone else from past drafts who may be is the mix this year?

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
Questions:

K. Hazzard’s mention of C-Macchione has me wondering. Are there any more past drafted players in the mix for this year? I am unsure on Macchione. Is he even a player for us this season? Time will tell.

But how about C-Dylan McFadden. He was at camp last year and was cut. Was that because we maxed out our 16 year old quota? Did he impress? Is he a player that we took a flyer on in the fifth round or did we draft him where he was ranked? Could he crack this year‘s lineup?

Also, C-Ryan Fine is apparently a player we took a flyer on. Any chance he reports this year? Does he have NCAA commitments?

Outside of the obvious who have been discussed on here (Fegaras. Gauthier. Kaplan) is there anyone else from past drafts who may be is the mix this year?

Ryan Fine - played for the US National U-17 team last year, so I'm guessing that an 05 with a BU commit that he would likely return to their program....but stranger things have happened.

Last edited:

Kristina Hazzard

Oct 5, 2021
i Totally forgot i thik that you guys get both imports such a hunch i could see someone like Sop getting dealt
LWCRWLDRDG
ValadePinelliMesar SchmidtBrzustewiczParsons
MartinRehkopfSerpaMotewLeBlancVandenberg
MisaljevicMercerFishman/sopHamaraHarperDiFelice
SwickLeBlancZidlickyAndonovski Hollett
PuglieseMacchioneBottineau

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
As tweeted by East Ave Blue..........Arber Xhekaj 2nd from right and beside him....Filip Mesar. Who better to tell Mesar about the Aud, the team, and the fans?
1661117938391.png

Reactions: Tim Wallach

K2

Jun 11, 2015
i dont think caa or chicago wants to ruin that relationship.
No matter, it's the Hage family's call at whatever point they wish to make it. No player agent's 'relationship' with a team strays too far from adversarial and never supersedes their relationship with the player!

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Questions:

Elite Prospects shows Dylan McFadden in Milton this season and then down to the U.S. in NCCA
1661169720942.png

flamebird

Jul 28, 2007
Questions:

Good point... I expect one of the U18 guys to push for one of those bottom-6 roles. Kristian Lamanna & Yianni Koukouves both were top players for their respective U18 teams (#1 & #2 Teams in Ontario last year)

While I don't think either will get a contract due to the logjam, they could force some tough decisions in the bottom -9 (3rd Line/4th Line/Extra Forward)

Macchione & Koukouves 2pts each in GOJHL preseason debut.

K2

Jun 11, 2015
I wonder if he could be swayed...not exactly a known commodity as far as NCAA hockey programs go.
Maybe, though if he's at all academically inclined, Holy Cross is a top 5 Catholic college in the US & its athletes have the highest graduation rate (99%) of all division 1 schools which parents love to hear. Not Ivy League but a very attractive small private school that people pay big $ to attend, esp if Catholic/Jesuit education is significant. Crusader Hockey results have been pretty mediocre for years since the glory days ... kinda like the Rangers ;) Pete DeBoer's son committed to playing for Holy Cross instead of his dad's Oshawa Generals!

If he's back at our camp and turning heads, we'll be after him big-time but it looks a bit uphill.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Good point... I expect one of the U18 guys to push for one of those bottom-6 roles. Kristian Lamanna & Yianni Koukouves both were top players for their respective U18 teams (#1 & #2 Teams in Ontario last year)

While I don't think either will get a contract due to the logjam, they could force some tough decisions in the bottom -9 (3rd Line/4th Line/Extra Forward)

Macchione & Koukouves 2pts each in GOJHL preseason debut.

i watched both, id be pretty surprised if they were ohl skaters. im not sure they were that good in U18.

I wonder if he could be swayed...not exactly a known commodity as far as NCAA hockey programs go.

if thats the best school the kid could commit to, you have to wonder if he's that good to start with? id be surprised it he could make the rangers.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
i watched both, id be pretty surprised if they were ohl skaters. im not sure they were that good in U18.

if thats the best school the kid could commit to, you have to wonder if he's that good to start with? id be surprised it he could make the rangers.
Anyone on here remember how he looked at camp last year?

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
i Totally forgot i thik that you guys get both imports such a hunch i could see someone like Sop getting dealt
LWCRWLDRDG
ValadePinelliMesarSchmidtBrzustewiczParsons
MartinRehkopfSerpaMotewLeBlancVandenberg
MisaljevicMercerFishman/sopHamaraHarperDiFelice
SwickLeBlancZidlickyAndonovski Hollett
PuglieseMacchioneBottineau
Zero chance Hamara comes if he’s not promised top pairing minutes. He demonstrated at the WJC he can matchup against the best juniors in the world

RangerNation

Jul 24, 2015
London
Zero chance Hamara comes if he’s not promised top pairing minutes. He demonstrated at the WJC he can matchup against the best juniors in the world
The only way he doesn't get top minutes is if he shows up and doesn't compete, just like every other team. Highly unlikely that happens though.

Reactions: EvenSteven
Mar 12, 2009
Already said he's not going back to Europe. If he doesn't make AHL, he'll be in Kitchener, promises or not. Glad he hada good tournament, but I don't put a lot of stock in summer tournments (this WJC was a glorified Summer Showcase imo). If he's good enough for top OHL minutes, he'll get it.

As the season goes on, OHL teams often run top 4 pairings quite a bit while the bottom pair is more spot-duty.

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
.......As the season goes on, OHL teams often run top 4 pairings quite a bit while the bottom pair is more spot-duty.

Very true. As I kinda mentioned before, assuming Hamara comes, it will be interesting to see which four it will be considering the number of returning D-men. Along with Hamara, I would be surprised if Brzustewicz (04) and Schmidt (03) weren't two of them. Perhaps Motew (03) is the other guy (?) So if Harper is still around, do you waste an OA card on a guy not in your top 4 ? What about J. LeBlanc (04) who played reasonably well last year and needs to progress ? So does Andonovski, and as an (05) I'm not sure I'd want to part with him as long as he continues to show promise.....and Hollet as a 7th or 8th D-man as an (03) ?......not likely.

I know this was mentioned a bit before, but something will have to give on the backend. Other than possibly Longacre (06) being inserted in this line-up somehow, there is just no chance for any other prospect to make it on the blueline IMO. If Longacre does sign, I believe that there will need to be more than one move at this position.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Very true. As I kinda mentioned before, assuming Hamara comes, it will be interesting to see which four it will be considering the number of returning D-men. Along with Hamara, I would be surprised if Brzustewicz (04) and Schmidt (03) weren't two of them. Perhaps Motew (03) is the other guy (?) So if Harper is still around, do you waste an OA card on a guy not in your top 4 ? What about J. LeBlanc (04) who played reasonably well last year and needs to progress ? So does Andonovski, and as an (05) I'm not sure I'd want to part with him as long as he continues to show promise.....and Hollet as a 7th or 8th D-man as an (03) ?......not likely.

I know this was mentioned a bit before, but something will have to give on the backend. Other than possibly Longacre (06) being inserted in this line-up somehow, there is just no chance for any other prospect to make it on the blueline IMO. If Longacre does sign, I believe that there will need to be more than one move at this position.

Mar 12, 2009

I like J Leblanc to make the jump to rounding out our top 4. Andonovski getting consistent, full year play time on the bottom pair would be good. Harper is as good as gone barring an excellent showing, but putting him with Andonovski until we upgrade our OA (if we do) would be good for Ando. Ando and Hollet would be a decent bottom pair size wise, if Hollet can be more physical consistently and less penalty prone...imo if Longacre decided to come tho, both Hollet and Harper are expendable in order to give him consistent ice time on the 3rd pair.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Yes, could shape up to be quite the back end. And we need to have J. Leblanc (who continued to improve as the season wore on) and feisty Adonoski for the future of the D. Some decisions will definitely be needed and could result in some trades for picks.

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
...and up front the team is only losing two - Petizian and Mutter.

There was no import forward last year, but could be this year (Mesar) - there's one spot possibly taken up.
Fishman (03) wants his spot back - there's another.
Bottineau (06) is also one of the safest bets unless he really disappoints - yet another.
.....and of course, one wouldn't cut Hage (06) if he were to chose to come here instead of Chicago - and another.

At the very least there are probably going to be a couple veteran forwards either traded or maybe released. For instance, I thought 04's Pugliese and Misaljevic filled two spots in the line-up reasonably well last year. Will either make it this year, and if they don't is there a team willing to trade for an 18 year-old that played only 31 games in the league? Aside from your first two lines, there's going to be some real competition for spots up front.

Usually I attend training camp in anticipation of seeing rookies and invites that might make the team. Probably not a realistic expectation this year.....seems more of a case of which veterans are not going to make it.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I like J Leblanc to make the jump to rounding out our top 4. Andonovski getting consistent, full year play time on the bottom pair would be good. Harper is as good as gone barring an excellent showing, but putting him with Andonovski until we upgrade our OA (if we do) would be good for Ando. Ando and Hollet would be a decent bottom pair size wise, if Hollet can be more physical consistently and less penalty prone...imo if Longacre decided to come tho, both Hollet and Harper are expendable in order to give him consistent ice time on the 3rd pair.
You may have missed Motew. For me, I have Schmidt, Brzustewicz, Hamara (if and when he comes) and Motew as our top 4. Could J LeBlanc bump Motew out of the top four? Possibly. They may be interchangeable.

I agree on Harper. Unless he impresses big time early, I have him moving on. I wouldn’t be against using the 3rd OA spot on a forward. Especially if Motew, J LeBlanc and Andonovski cancel the need for depth additions on the back end.

Perhaps a high end OA LW to play beside Pinelli on line one? Hamilton is selling. Would George Diaco be a fit?

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
...and up front the team is only losing two - Petizian and Mutter.

There was no import forward last year, but could be this year (Mesar) - there's one spot possibly taken up.
Fishman (03) wants his spot back - there's another.
Bottineau (06) is also one of the safest bets unless he really disappoints - yet another.
.....and of course, one wouldn't cut Hage (06) if he were to chose to come here instead of Chicago - and another.

At the very least there are probably going to be a couple veteran forwards either traded or maybe released. For instance, I thought 04's Pugliese and Misaljevic filled two spots in the line-up reasonably well last year. Will either make it this year, and if they don't is there a team willing to trade for an 18 year-old that played only 31 games in the league? Aside from your first two lines, there's going to be some real competition for spots up front.

Usually I attend training camp in anticipation of seeing rookies and invites that might make the team. Probably not a realistic expectation this year.....seems more of a case of which veterans are not going to make it.
If we are moving out older F’s to make room for higher end players, guys like Pugliese and Miseljevic won’t bring much in return. I like their play and both would likely be happy to get bottom line minutes. For me, if we move out players to make room for incoming players, I see guys like Sop, A LeBlanc, or a Swick fitting the bill. Guys who’ll have varying levels of value.

If Hage and Veremyev are no shows, then Sop, and A LeBlanc likely make up two thirds of our third line. I don’t see either fitting into a top six that would include Pinelli, Mesar (if and when), Rehkopf, Valade, Martin and Serpa.

If we add high end help at the deadline, a Diaco for example, then someone gets bumped out of the top six and that’s when maybe a Sop, LeBlanc or Swick goes the other way in a trade.

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
If we are moving out older F’s to make room for higher end players, guys like Pugliese and Miseljevic won’t bring much in return. I like their play and both would likely be happy to get bottom line minutes. For me, if we move out players to make room for incoming players, I see guys like Sop, A LeBlanc, or a Swick fitting the bill. Guys who’ll have varying levels of value.

If Hage and Veremyev are no shows, then Sop, and A LeBlanc likely make up two thirds of our third line. I don’t see either fitting into a top six that would include Pinelli, Mesar (if and when), Rehkopf, Valade, Martin and Serpa.

If we add high end help at the deadline, a Diaco for example, then someone gets bumped out of the top six and that’s when maybe a Sop, LeBlanc or Swick goes the other way in a trade.

Definitely agree with your scenarios. Will be interesting to see how Fishman fits in what you have layed out. Also, it will be interesting to see if guys like Sop, A LeBlanc, and Swick can make that big jump in numbers. That certainly can happen. Serpa himself is a good example of that.

I never thought of a situation of having all three OA's as forwards. I kinda like that idea, and it could become reality if Hamara comes, Brzustewicz plays as advertised and Schmidt is as steady as ever. In this case at the trade deadline would they upgrade that 4th position ? Generally it is (arguably) the veteran-laden teams that make it all the way. Ideally Motew, as an (03) would be that guy and it wouldn't cost the team anything. Then again J LeBlanc (though an 04) might make leap in his development, and maybe that is good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad