Kitchener Rangers 2022 Off-season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Congratulations for Team Canada U18 for dominating at the Hlinka Gtretzky 2022 and winning the GOLD.
Rehkopf ranked #9 on the team for points:

1659879044354.png

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
In the players to watch for at the World Juniors:

Tomas Hamara - D - The recently drafted Hamara (Ottawa Senators) has been playing for years in Finland’s junior system and even cracked the Liiga line-up to the tune of 26 games with Tappara this past winter. He topped that off with an eight-assist showing over six games at the U18 Worlds, quarterbacking the powerplay for the Czechs. Now he’s here with the big boys on a very impressive blueline and has the all-round instincts and athleticism to make a heavy impact over the next few weeks. Don’t be surprised if alone his skating raises your eyebrow every now and again.

Reactions: EvenSteven

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Out of left field and with nothing else to talk about:

Anyone think there’s a possibility that the Rangers dip their feet in on Sam Dickinson should Niagara deem him defective?

(Let me state going into this post that in no way do I mean we trade for his rights unless he is 100% coming this year. In other words, no repeat of the Jacob Tortora deal)

In these times where picks can only be dealt a few years down the road, I’ll use the Will Cuylle (3rd overall) deal as a comparable. I’m not looking at Fantilli or Moldenhauer as they weren’t guaranteed to report. Cuylle was and Dickinson is. By all accounts, he wants to play OHL hockey but not in Niagara.

Windsor sent two 2nds and three 3rds plus a conditional 2nd for Cuylle’s rights. We can assume that’ll be the price for 4th overall Dickinson.

Would the Rangers do that deal? Is Dickinson worth that price? I believe they have the available resources. By my count, (I could be wrong), we have five 2nds and six 3rds in the bank. Also, five 4ths if that matters.

But, we are slated to contend this year if the imports come. We’d need assets to make a run. Would we be able to do both? Go all in AND deal for Dickinson?

MM would have to get inventive. We could argue that if the imports plus Hage and Veremyev report, our overloaded forward group could be weeded out to bring in assets to add to assets left over after a Dickinson deal, to go towards making any additions we’d need to go all in this year.

If we did do both, we’d be thin in the cupboard going forward after this season. But that isn’t the end of the world. 23-24 could be a down year where we’d sell off to prep for a two year run of contention built around our ‘05 and ‘06 groups.

Significant graduating assets that would bring varying levels of return at the ‘24 deadline would be Brzustewicz, and the ‘04 imports if they were returned here for that season from their NHL teams.

Does Dickinson have a short list of teams he’ll go to? Is Kitchener on it? If we did that deal and Hage does report here, we’d have the top D chosen in the ‘22 draft and a forward who was top five calibre from the same draft. That could only bode well going into the next few years.

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
I really like your thoughts in theory EvenSteven,but at the trade deadline if a team wants to trade for a top end player to put them over the top they usually have to give up a young prospect - likely a first rounder. You're right though. I think MM would have to come up with something creative.

Last edited:
Reactions: EvenSteven

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I really like your thoughts in theory EV, but at the trade deadline if a team wants to trade for a top end player to put them over the top they usually have to give up a young prospect - likely a first rounder. You're right though. I think MM would have to come up with something creative.
These days, again, since the restriction on trading distant draft picks, prices have come down for some players. Not often now is a 1st sent the other way to close a deal. Sure, Mason McTavish was an exception. Wright would be too if he’s returned and traded.

But, we were able to close the Serron Noel deal without sending Oshawa our first. Noel isn’t McTavish, But he could be the calibre addition we‘d look to make at the deadline.

And I don’t believe a top-flight, near top of the draft first rounder has gone the other way in a deal for a stud veteran in a long time. That’s who we’d have in Hage if he reports and Dickinson if that deal were ever consummated.

Reactions: Gondrex

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
I don’t think MM is willing to make a trade like that until he knows who is coming next year 100%. If we get a lot of these players to report we have no choice but to go for it and we can’t be using those assets to acquire a 16 year old. He would be a great acquisition but just not what the team needs if we get who I think we are going to get.

Reactions: K2

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Hearing the same old song about Mesar. Hughes says Laval if there's a place for him and if not, it's Kitchener.
“We want him to continue to have the opportunity to have success offensively, to play on the power play, and all aspects of the game.” I still believe that top line on Rangers with Pinelli and Rehkopf along with a new coach who understands what development is needed to make it to the NHL is the best for Mesar.

K2

Jun 11, 2015
Would the Rangers do that deal? Is Dickinson worth that price?
Can't see it unless we're somehow Dickinson's exclusive OHL 2022 defection destination choice and, even then, MM surely makes a compelling bid but this isn't a guy we unload absolutely everything for this year IMO.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
With the first exhibition game just a few weeks away on September 4th, training camp will soon be here.
Will Cole Longacre be there? Is Michael Hage for sure going to the windy city or will he stay closer to home and end up at the Aud? There's a good chance that Tomas Hamara will join the Rangers and Filip Mesar is anyone's guess. As for Cutter Gauthier, I doubt we will see him. But now that George Fegaras has been drafted by the Dallas Stars, perhaps DeBoer and Spott will lean towards the OHL. I did say "perhaps".

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
With the first exhibition game just a few weeks away on September 4th, training camp will soon be here.
Will Cole Longacre be there? Is Michael Hage for sure going to the windy city or will he stay closer to home and end up at the Aud? There's a good chance that Tomas Hamara will join the Rangers and Filip Mesar is anyone's guess. As for Cutter Gauthier, I doubt we will see him. But now that George Fegaras has been drafted by the Dallas Stars, perhaps DeBoer and Spott will lean towards the OHL. I did say "perhaps".
My guesses below...

Longacre YES
Hage NO - signs midseason or next summer with Rangers
Hamara YES
Mesar YES - might be late arriving due to MTL training camp/start of pro season
Gauthier NO
Fegaras NO

Reactions: Tim Wallach

Matttheleaf

Apr 18, 2019
Was looking through the OHL prediction thread and noticed that there was a larger number of people putting Kitchener in the middle to lower half of their standings. Seems strange to me considering we finished 7th last year, and seemingly have improved with the addition of a few players and the maturing of others.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Was looking through the OHL prediction thread and noticed that there was a larger number of people putting Kitchener in the middle to lower half of their standings. Seems strange to me considering we finished 7th last year, and seemingly have improved with the addition of a few players and the maturing of others.
I saw that too & was pretty surprised. The expectation is to compete this yr in KIT right ? Looks like a solid team. Especially if Parsons can be a true starter. Guess the 1 thing is it feels like there's more up in the air with u. Hage, Mesar. Is there optimism either Gauthier or Kaplan sign?

I'd definitely have u in the top 5or6 already with a serious chance to move up. Only super confident in OS&FLT. Hoping Sarnia is in that tier. Idk what to make of GUE. WSR is totally dependent on Johnston returning.

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
I think that would not include adding the maybe players. If we don’t add 2 imports and 1 to 3 others (Hage,etc) then I feel we will be in sell mode. We just don’t have the assets to add a bunch and our top end talent can’t compete with other top end players. We don’t have the depth either. Adding 4 players for nothing changes everything.

Reactions: GeoBlue

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
My guesses below...

Longacre YES
Hamara YES
Gauthier NO
Fegaras NO
I would tend to agree with above. In terms of percentages, I would guess that Longacre would be close to 100% (never know of course), Hamara at about 75%, Mesar at 50-50, Hage at a bit less than that, Fegarus and Gleb V. each at somewhere around 10%, and Gauthier at close to 0%. Just my opinion of course.

Signing Hage would definitely help our season, but playoff-wise (arguably) it's the older, mature players that tend to be the ones that help win championships.

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
Mattleaf said:

"Was looking through the OHL prediction thread and noticed that there was a larger number of people putting Kitchener in the middle to lower half of their standings. Seems strange to me considering we finished 7th last year, and seemingly have improved with the addition of a few players and the maturing of others."

Of the Midwest teams, I personally see Owen Sound and Guelph as being strong....and of course there is always London.

This team needs Mesar in order to have a shot at contending......or some other high-level forward. A line of Serpa, Valade, and Martin would (will ?) be solid. Besides Pinelli and Rehkopf this team will need another top 6 forward. A. Leblanc could surprise, but needs to take a leap in offensive numbers. Fishman is also a bit of an unknown, even at his age.

Defence should be fine - especially if Hamara signs. I stop short of saying "the Ranger defence should be one of the best in the league" because I heard this stated last year........... and of course it wasn't.

Parsons should be dependable between the pipes IMO.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
I saw that too & was pretty surprised. The expectation is to compete this yr in KIT right ? Looks like a solid team. Especially if Parsons can be a true starter. Guess the 1 thing is it feels like there's more up in the air with u. Hage, Mesar. Is there optimism either Gauthier or Kaplan sign?

I'd definitely have u in the top 5or6 already with a serious chance to move up. Only super confident in OS&FLT. Hoping Sarnia is in that tier. Idk what to make of GUE. WSR is totally dependent on Johnston returning.
I'm curious which teams will be taking a step back in the west. The Soo? HockeyPops - I saw your predictions. Surprised me a bit.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
My guesses below...

Longacre YES
Hamara YES
Gauthier NO
Fegaras NO
My guesses:

Longacre - Not this year.
If Hamara reports and we go all in, the minutes won’t be there for him. He comes next year.

Hage - Yes.
Signs in the next couple weeks (purely a guess).

Hamara - Yes.
He wants to play in NA. His NHL team will want him in NA too. Best place for him to get prime minutes is in Kitchener.

Mesar - Yes.
Exactly the same as Hamara.

Gauthier - No.
I’m hearing multiple connections to BC making it highly unlikely he’d de-commit.

Fegaras - No.
What’s he, committed to an Ivy League school? Unless he sees no minutes there and he feels that’ll stunt his development, I doubt he passes that up.

Veremyev - No.
Puzzling to me. To my knowledge there’s no NCAA option for him. If there was, as an ‘03, he’d have been there last year. No reason for him not to have signed already based on his style of play, not being NHL drafted, lack of NCAA option, and his age. If this player wants a sniff, you’d think he’d want to bring his game to the next level to showcase himself to the scouts vs better opposition. So because he hasn’t signed yet, I say he isn’t coming.

Last edited:

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
My guesses:

If Hamara reports and we go all in, the minutes won’t be there for him. He comes next year.

Hage - Yes.

Hamara - Yes.
He wants to play in NA. His NHL team will want him in NA too. Best place for him to get prime minutes is in Kitchener.

Mesar - Yes.

Gauthier - No.
I’m hearing multiple connections to BC making it highly unlikely he’d de-commit.

Fegaras - No.
What’s he, committed to an Ivy League school? Unless he sees no minutes there and he feels that lol stunt his development, I doubt he passes that up.

Veremyev - No.
Puzzling to me. To my knowledge there’s no NCAA option for him. If there was, as an ‘03, he’d have been there last year. No reason for him not to have signed already based on his style of play, not being NHL drafted, lack of NCAA option, and his age. If this player wants a sniff, you’d think he’d want to bring his game to the next level to showcase himself to the scouts vs better opposition. So because he hasn’t signed yet, I say he isn’t coming.
According to Elite Prospects, Veremyev is going to Colorado College (NCCA) this season. Not exactly a top 10 team. You would think that he would look to somewhere that he could showcase himself.

I do feel that Hamara (for sure) and Mesar (more ice time here) will come to Kitchener.

I still sense that Hage will sign. As for Longacre, it will all depend on what he sees best for his development.

Reactions: rangersblues

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
My guesses:

Hage - Yes.

Hamara - Yes.

Mesar - Yes.

Gauthier - No.

Fegaras - No.
What’s he, committed to an Ivy League school? Unless he sees no minutes there and he feels that’ll stunt his development, I doubt he passes that up.

Veremyev - No.
Good point on Longacre's (06) situation. Assuming Hamara (04) signs, if the team would want to have a somewhat balanced DOB mix, arguably your top four D-men would be Hamara, Hunter B (04), Schmidt (03), Motew (03). Having an OA on the backend might be a good thing. Whether or not that is Harper (02) would need to be determined. Assuming Andonovski (05) and Longacre (06) to round it all out would leave an interesting situation for J Leblanc (04) and Hollet (03). What would you do on the backend ?

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Good point on Longacre's (06) situation. Assuming Hamara (04) signs, if the team would want to have a somewhat balanced DOB mix, arguably your top four D-men would be Hamara, Hunter B (04), Schmidt (03), Motew (03). Having an OA on the backend might be a good thing. Whether or not that is Harper (02) would need to be determined. Assuming Andonovski (05) and Longacre (06) to round it all out would leave an interesting situation for J Leblanc (04) and Hollet (03). What would you do on the backend ?

and if you move the one leblanc, you probably have to move the other

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I believe if the Rangers are high on an US player, they should do everything to sign them as soon as possible. Even with Longacre signed and trying to crack a deep D-corp this season, it may be an idea to maybe play him on the 4th line as a forward. This would add a yr onto his OHL scholarship plus bring him up to speed to OHL hockey which would serve him well the following season. There's nothing wrong with having extra defensive depth on a team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad