Kitchener Rangers 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
In theory it should happen in the off season. In reality I doubt it will. I would not be surprised if there is a moratorium on trades until things get back to normal. I'm not sure when that will be.

You never know, but I see no reason for a moratorium on trades. Where you may see no trade action is on players (2000 born) who may or may not return to the league because of pro opportunities. Those opportunities may or may not be there depending on how the NHL conducts their business. This no trade action likely wouldn’t be a league mandate but just each team being careful with their assets.

But as far as younger OHLers go, I see no need or reason for a moratorium

Last edited:
Reactions: Ward Cornell

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
I would say so. Historically, without looking it up, I would imagine of the goalies taken in the first round of the OHL draft, it’s split between them being high end and being just average.

Likely why most teams wait until the 2nd round and beyond to start taking goalies.

Yeah, I was just spit balling and not really that serious. It was just a coincidence that the video was to feature McConnell-Barker and to see Sheffield having a stellar game. And we ALL know that goal tending will be a concern in Rtown in the next couple of years unless one of our already drafted guys comes up big.

Reactions: EvenSteven

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Yeah, I was just spit balling and not really that serious. It was just a coincidence that the video was to feature McConnell-Barker and to see Sheffield having a stellar game. And we ALL know that goal tending will be a concern in Rtown in the next couple of years unless one of our already drafted guys comes up big.

the only way I see the goaltending being good this season is if Purcell reports and is as-advertised or Ingham gets sent back and not traded.

however this is something that should be addressed sooner than later if they plan on being all in for 2021-22

Reactions: EvenSteven

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
You never know, but I see no reason for a moratorium on trades. Where are you may see no trade action is on players (2000 born) who may or may not return to the league because of pro opportunities. Those opportunities may or may not be there depending on how the NHL conducts their business. This no trade action likely wouldn’t be a league mandate but just each team being careful with their assets.

But as far as younger OHLers go, I see no need or reason for a moratorium
The OHL put a stop to trades during the Christmas season quite a few years back to ease the stress on players. I can't think of a more stressful time than we're currently facing. I think Branch may take measures to not add more. Just my opinion - we'll see.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
the thing I wish Kitchener did that the Knights do extremely well is bring in as many young guys as they can. it creates competition for ice time and you will get the best out of your players or else they won’t play.

the Knights had 10 02’s and 2 03’s on their roster leading up to the trade deadline (they traded 1 02). the Rangers had 6 02’s and 3 03’s. the Knights also had a 2 02’s and an 03 signed and playing with local Jr. B teams and practicing with the big club. Kitchener had 0.

ex. Mitchell Martin was a player who I would’ve like to have seen signed and play with the Siskins/Dutchmen. the GOJHL is significantly better than the NOJHL which makes it harder to tell how well his game is going to translate from up north to the OHL.

Reactions: LDN and Tim Wallach

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
The OHL put a stop to trades during the Christmas season quite a few years back to ease the stress on players. I can't think of a more stressful time than we're currently facing. I think Branch may take measures to not add more. Just my opinion - we'll see.

You're not allowed to trade anything but draft picks right now, that's always the case in the offseason. Trading players is allowed again starting in mid-June

Reactions: rangersblues

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

The main reason for implementing a moratorium on trades during Christmas break had a lot more to do with the inconvenience of being traded while players were at home visiting family over the holidays then for stress.

The OHL is not so concerned about the stress of their players when you consider that the most stressful time of their season is the week leading up to the trade deadline. We keep hearing every year about those players and how relieved they are to not be traded.

My prediction/opinion is that regular off season trade windows will remain as they do every other year. I don’t see there being much more stress on these players who are currently sitting at home with their feet up for the rest of the summer than any other off season.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Interesting, I consider them fairly equal. I wonder if others can offer their thoughts on this?
"significantly better" might be an over-exaggeration on my part, but I've heard of a lot of guys not being able to hold their spot in the GOJHL/OJHL so they go up north.

I think it's because of the cluster of former OHLers that play in the GOJHL. 16 year olds in the GOJHL typically don't have the kinds of seasons Mitchell Martin had in the NOJHL (finished 6th in league scoring, highest 16 year old in the GOJHL finished 15th and is a 2nd round pick who would've made any OHL team besides the Knights)

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
starting to see teams signing players to ELCs. what does everyone think about the Rangers players chances of getting one?

Jacob Ingham I think is the most likely to get one. his rights expire June 1 (assuming they don't change that deadline for now). Iggy would almost certainly get picked again if unsigned I imagine.

Greg Meireles has options. Florida still has his rights until June 1st of next year (per CapFriendly). he could play university hockey, could sign a 1 year AHL contract, or even just sign an ELC this year. heck he could even go to Europe for a season. my guess he signs a 1 year AHL/ECHL contract and decide if they want to sign him after a year of pro hockey.

Axel Bergkvist is interesting to me. I don't think he's quite ready for pro hockey, he won't be an OA and an import on any CHL team, and I think going back to Sweden would be a step backwards (sure he's playing against men but it's a different game with the bigger ice)

I think Liam Hawel and Jonathan Yantsis are both university bound. Yantsis took a major step back this season IMO (I didn't expect him to go back-to-back 50 goals, but I hoped his playmaking would improve and it didn't. also way too much time in the box). Hawel was really starting to find himself towards the end of the season, but since it was cut short no one was able to see if he could keep it up in the playoffs

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
OHL Prospects: 2020 OHL Priority Selection Mock Draft

this one has McConnell-Barker going at 5. but they have the Rangers picking Cedrick Guindon at 17.

"Selection: Cedrick Guindon - C - Rockland Nationals – 5'9, 155lbs
Analysis: A steal at the 17th pick, the Kitchener Rangers have the opportunity to select a player who is able to use his good skating and edgework to create time, space and opportunities for himself and his teammates. Guindon, who along with starring for the Rockland Nationals, played a role in bringing Canada bronze at the 2020 Youth Olympic Games. After selecting the offensively gifted Francesco Pinelli with their first round selection last year, they are able to have a future 1-2 punch at the centre position. Similar to Pinelli, Guindon is an offensive threat who possesses a great shot that has deception to it, which has caused goaltenders problems all season long. This should carry into his rookie season in the OHL."

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
OHL Prospects: 2020 OHL Priority Selection Mock Draft

this one has McConnell-Barker going at 5. but they have the Rangers picking Cedrick Guindon at 17.

"Selection: Cedrick Guindon - C - Rockland Nationals – 5'9, 155lbs
Analysis: A steal at the 17th pick, the Kitchener Rangers have the opportunity to select a player who is able to use his good skating and edgework to create time, space and opportunities for himself and his teammates. Guindon, who along with starring for the Rockland Nationals, played a role in bringing Canada bronze at the 2020 Youth Olympic Games. After selecting the offensively gifted Francesco Pinelli with their first round selection last year, they are able to have a future 1-2 punch at the centre position. Similar to Pinelli, Guindon is an offensive threat who possesses a great shot that has deception to it, which has caused goaltenders problems all season long. This should carry into his rookie season in the OHL."

Yeah, Mc-B really moved up the ladder in Prospects. And Guindon has appeal.......maybe before Rangers pick:
Cedric Guindon – F
2018-19 Team: Eastern Ontario Wild / Rockland Nationals (OEBHL / HEO)
Instant Analysis: The only player to outscore the aforementioned David Goyette in the OEBHL this past season was teammate Cedric Guindon — a pure goal-scorer who can also devise exceptional scoring plays with apparent ease. In Guidon’s regular season play with the Wild in 2018-19, the youngster blasted home 48 goals and 48 assists for a total of 98 points — a pace which afforded him with a point-per-game mark of 3.38. Through his 29 regular season games, Guindon took just one minor penalty — a sum which speaks to his maturity and poise on the ice regardless of the situation.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Just hope McKenzie keeps up his record of at least one great get.

Last year it was Pinelli, before that Sebrango and the year prior it was Vukojevic.
Sounds like Guidon might be a Pinelli situation? Falling cuz he has preference? Just speculation. Excited for the draft!

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario

Last year it was Pinelli, before that Sebrango and the year prior it was Vukojevic.
Sounds like Guidon might be a Pinelli situation? Falling cuz he has preference? Just speculation. Excited for the draft!
Just to add to this, there seems to be no cause for concern with the scouting/drafting. Both Valade and Langdon were rated highly on all the draft lists that I saw, and the Rangers snapped them up. So if you go by the rankings, the picks made sense.
Secondly, I'm cancelling my annual April Fool's joke for my friends in K/W... Just not up to it.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Just to add to this, there seems to be no cause for concern with the scouting/drafting. Both Valade and Langdon were rated highly on all the draft lists that I saw, and the Rangers snapped them up. So if you go by the rankings, the picks made sense.
Secondly, I'm cancelling my annual April Fool's joke for my friends in K/W... Just not up to it.

Yeah I definitely think there’s more of a player development issue. Hopefully McKenzies coach hire will fix this as well.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018

he’s an Ottawa boy too which we know the Rangers like to have lots of

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Yeah I definitely think there’s more of a player development issue. Hopefully McKenzies coach hire will fix this as well.

I think it was a McKee thing for the player development issue. he very seldomly played his 4th line whether the team was rebuilding or contending. that said, Valade and Langdon were on the 4th line for the entire first half of their rookie year (Langdon was there the whole season basically). in a rebuild year, they should get more ice time. instead, McKenzie added Campbell and Lipanov and McKee used them over the rookies. once Campbell was released and Valade moved into the top 9, he had a solid 2nd half

McKenzie at coach gave the 4th line a chance and it shows with how Fishman, Dickerson, Serpa and Langdon (when healthy) played when they had the opportunity to do so

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Two thirds for Lipanov could have been a steal, but it didn’t work out how McKenzie hoped. I think he thought he could have Lipanov back at that point per game pace. Just never developed.

Oshawa's third round pick in the 2021 draft, as well as Kingston's third rounder in 2022. Both will be late thirds IMO. Based on trajectory for each team.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I think it was a McKee thing for the player development issue. he very seldomly played his 4th line whether the team was rebuilding or contending. that said, Valade and Langdon were on the 4th line for the entire first half of their rookie year (Langdon was there the whole season basically). in a rebuild year, they should get more ice time. instead, McKenzie added Campbell and Lipanov and McKee used them over the rookies. once Campbell was released and Valade moved into the top 9, he had a solid 2nd half

McKenzie at coach gave the 4th line a chance and it shows with how Fishman, Dickerson, Serpa and Langdon (when healthy) played when they had the opportunity to do so
Its not just playing time but skills development and systems.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

And that has just as much to do with the quality of assistants as quality of the head coach.

Lack of playing time for 16-year-olds in London usually isn’t an issue regarding their development. Rarely do their 16-year-olds get major ice time whether it’s a rebuild year or not.

Valade got every opportunity to play with good players last season. Most games he started on the first or second line. Most games though, he finished on the bottom six when it was exposed that he was over his head playing top six minutes as a 16-year-old.

Reactions: rangersblues

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
fair enough but we will never see the development (or lack there of) if they go out there every 3rd rotation through the lines for some dump and chase hockey. Serpa clearly had the skillset in September/October but all 14 of his points were under MM who rolls the lines early on in the game and makes adjustments as needed.

Serpa pre-firing- 0 points in 14 games
Serpa post-firing- 14 points in 36 games

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Unfortunately, unlike the NHL, it’s tough to predict 1st round draft order including who your particular team will actually select. NCAA commits, cooked deals, etc make predictions near impossible.

For me, it may (or may not) be a little easier to predict what positions we will fill.
We have four picks in the first three rounds. In no particular order, should we go:

F. F. F. D.
F. F. D. D.
F. F. D. G.
F. D. D. D.

A few things will decide which way we go.:

-First of all, I don’t see us going with three of four D. We haven’t done it since the 2009 draft (Murphy. Moore. Fanelli. Grant.)

-How many ‘04’s do we want on the roster? Since we’re rebuilding, I’d like to see four.
Three minimum.

-Positionally, are we confident we can sign any of our already drafted goaltenders to fill the two spots on the roster? If so, maybe we don’t draft a goalie early. If not, maybe we take the best goalie available with our first pick in the third round.

-Do we use one if these picks to take flyer(s) on NCAA commits? I frowned on the Vukojevic pick until he reported. That had me celebrating the Schmidt pick based on our success getting Vukojevic to come. Now, since Schmidt isn’t here, I’m torn.

-Do we already know who were taking in the import draft? We sometimes do by now because this is usually a “cooked” draft. Whatever position that player is will affect our first four picks.

-Speaking of “cooked” drafts, do we have something in place for our first round pick? Boy it would be nice!

So I’ll base our needs on our returning roster/signees and go from there. Broken down by position/age:

C-Petizian
LW-Dickerson
RW-McDonnell
RW-Valade
C-Langdon
C-Serpa
C-Pinelli
RW-Fishman
LW-Sop
LW-Martin

Wale
MacPherson
Xhekaj
Vukojevic
Sebrango
Ottavainen
Motew

Pfiel

Based on returnees/holes to fill, I can see us going with a mix of F. F. D. G. along with a F import player.

With 10 roster players set today, we’ll have at minimum three roster spots open at forward if we’re going to go with 13 forwards.

Dickerson may not be a part of our future going forward. In a rebuilding year, he’d be a serviceable forward, but going into 21-22, I don’t see him as being overage material. Therefore, we may choose to move him out sooner than later in favour of an ‘04 forward to allow that player to get his feet wet and be better able to contribute in 21-22.

I expect us to acquire an overage forward on the cheap.

I don’t see Pfiel in our plans. At best we bring in two rookie goaltender‘s in preparation for finding a number one for the following season. At worst, we deal for a 19-year-old from another team on the cheap to share duties with an incoming rookie.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Kitchener’s rookie camp is usually 2 weekends after the draft. obviously that won’t be happening now but hopefully things can slow down soon enough for them to run one. the camps are always a good way to see where everyone’s at, especially when they’re playing with and against guys that are in the OHL already

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad