Kitchener Rangers 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
We’d get more than the two 2nds. But to complete a Fantilli deal, we’d only need those two 2nds from a Vukojovic deal to go towards a Fantilli deal is what I meant.

Of course we’d get more than that for Vukojovic otherwise.

IMO, I’m of the opinion that we should get at least the same return for Vukojovic that Guelph got for Lalonde.

I'd honestly say more. I know Lalonde was picked 2nd overall, but he never materialized as a top flight defender. He was solid, but Vuk brings a fair bit more value. But you're right, as a starting point, that's a solid foundation. It's hard to set a price because it depends whether you're acquiring players or picks or both, but assuming it's just the pick route, sure 3 x 2nd and 1 x 3rd would be my minimum. I think Vuk will be that dominant in his 19 year old season.

Reactions: EvenSteven

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I'd honestly say more. I know Lalonde was picked 2nd overall, but he never materialized as a top flight defender. He was solid, but Vuk brings a fair bit more value. But you're right, as a starting point, that's a solid foundation. It's hard to set a price because it depends whether you're acquiring players or picks or both, but assuming it's just the pick route, sure 3 x 2nd and 1 x 3rd would be my minimum. I think Vuk will be that dominant in his 19 year old season.

I feel he should be one of, if not the top ‘01 born D to hit the market. With that in mind, your minimum is fair.

Lalonde was 2nd. 2nd. 2nd*. 5th*. Once you add 02 born Bianconi, who was a 3rd rounder and a decent player for Guelph, my value for Vukojovic is at least all that without the conditions.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
I feel he should be one of, if not the top ‘01 born D to hit the market. With that in mind, your minimum is fair.

Lalonde was 2nd. 2nd. 2nd*. 5th*. Once you add 02 born Bianconi, who was a 3rd rounder and a decent player for Guelph, my value for Vukojovic is at least all that without the conditions.

Totally agree there. I was surprised Guelph got that much for him. But there's no doubt in my mind Vuk brings a fair bit more value. If teams don't pony up with at least the price you mention, you keep him.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
the list of 01 NHL drafted d-men includes: Harley, Kolyachonok, Vukojevic, Millman, Hjorth, Skinner, Has, Hill, Loponen

of these players, I’d say all but probably Skinner and maybe Hill would be made available. Harley, Vukojevic and Millman should be the 3 highest trade valued players since they aren’t imports.

Vuks should bring a very nice return as he’s arguably the most valuable shutdown d man available that’s not an import or OA

Mar 12, 2009
one thing to remember is that the 01 group has become known as particularly weak, so while we only have Vuk, there aren't a ton of players of his calibre that will be on the market from his age group compared to other seasons/age groups.

Reactions: robertmac43

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
even if they do sell Vukojevic, I don’t see the team being particularly weak. I could very well see Valade, McDonnell, Petizian follow the same development path as McHugh, Damiani, Meireles and go on a tear next season.

the most interesting development to me will be Pinelli. although it’s still early, he’s being ranked around the late 1st/early 2nd round in the 2021 draft. he should be looking at a 70-80 point sophomore season if that’s the case

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
even if they do sell Vukojevic, I don’t see the team being particularly weak. I could very well see Valade, McDonnell, Petizian follow the same development path as McHugh, Damiani, Meireles and go on a tear next season.

the most interesting development to me will be Pinelli. although it’s still early, he’s being ranked around the late 1st/early 2nd round in the 2021 draft. he should be looking at a 70-80 point sophomore season if that’s the case
I must have missed McHugh's tear.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
it looks like another flooded year for OAs (there was a thread created with the list).

that said, even in a “rebuild” year, there’s probably an available upgrade at goalie or a depth forward that could be had rather than Lucas Pfeil. I just don’t think he’s ready for the starts and at 20 years old, it’s not in the teams best interest to use him as one of three OA spots

Reactions: rangersblues

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
the list of 01 NHL drafted d-men includes: Harley, Kolyachonok, Vukojevic, Millman, Hjorth, Skinner, Has, Hill, Loponen

of these players, I’d say all but probably Skinner and maybe Hill would be made available. Harley, Vukojevic and Millman should be the 3 highest trade valued players since they aren’t imports.

Vuks should bring a very nice return as he’s arguably the most valuable shutdown d man available that’s not an import or OA

I expect Missy to contend this year. I doubt Harley hits the market.

Reactions: BarberPole9

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

Possible landing spots for Vukojovic using the Lalonde deal as a loose comparison:

Barrie - 9 x 2nds. 10 x 3rds.

Even though 21-22 should be their strongest year, this team could still contend next year (conference top four) and could really use a veteran high end D. They have a ton of 2nds and 3rds available for trade and can afford to make deals to improve their team for this season.

To Barrie:
Vukojovic

To Kitchener:
2nd (Sag) ‘21
2nd (Flint) ‘23
2nd (Flint) ‘24
3rd (Sag) ‘21
3rd (Bar) ‘23

The 3rds represent Bianconi in the event Barrie, with 21-22 in mind to contend as well, would not move a comparable 17 year old player.
———————————

Missy - 7 x 2nds including 2 x 2nds in 2020.

This team should be set to go all in next year. Don’t be surprised if they trade one or both of their 2020 2nds this week for assets that can be traded this season.

To Missy:
Vukojovic

To Kitchener:
D-Sharpe (Mis 3rd ‘19)
2nd (Sud) ‘21
2nd (Win) ‘23
2nd (Mis) ‘23
5th (Mis) ‘21

We feel Sharpe could be the comparable to Bianconi in the Lalonde deal. In an all in year, he could be deemed expendable.
———————————

Oshawa - 5 x 2nds. 5 x 3rds.

They’ll likely want to make multiple moves if they host. Getting three 2nds may be tough. A deal may have to include better than average youth or be part of a two part deal (either a part two to the Noel deal or part one with a high end player coming to Kitchener in the 2021 off season). So a deal with Oshawa could get complicated. Further complicating things for Kitchener is that they could run into another Bracco situation where Vukojevic may only accept a deal to Oshawa if they get awarded the hosting duties. That could affect the return.

Because Oshawa doesn’t have a ton of 2nds to deal, perhaps something can be put together where Michaud comes our way. He may be deemed expendable on a deep team. As the 23rd overall pick last year, he’ll hold more value than Bianconi from the Lalonde deal. With that in mind:

To Oshawa:
Vukojovic

To Kitchener:
LW-Michaud (Osh 2nd ‘19)
2nd (Kit) ‘22
2nd (Erie) ‘23
3rd (Nia) ‘23
———————————

Soo - only 4 x 2nds and 4 x 3rds.

IMO, they’ll have to include quality youth to close a deal for high end players. Also, including LeGuerrier, they already have four veteran D not including O’Rourke. I’m thinking they may want to add in other areas.

To Soo:
Vukojevic

To Kitchener:
LW-Boudreau - (Soo 3rd ‘19)
2nd (Win) ‘21
2nd (Soo) ‘23
3rd (Soo) ‘22
3rd (Ott) ‘24

Again, with the Soo’s thin cupboard and veteran depth on D, I don’t see them going all in on Vukojevic.
———————————

Windsor - 7 x 2nds. 5 x 3rds. 2 x 2nds in 2020.

Stood pat at the last deadline likely with this year in mind. Like Missy, I can also see Windsor try to move one or two of their 2nds this week for assets that can be traded this year.

To Kitchener
Vukojovic

To Windsor:
2nd (Bar) ‘21
2nd (Ott) ‘22
2nd (Ott) ‘23
3rd (Win) ‘22
3rd (Kit) ‘23

As in the Barrie deal above, the 3rds represent Bianconi should Windsor not want to include a comparable 17 year old.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The Lalonde deal was made at the beginning of last season between GMs with a long time working relationship and based on previous deals. With picks only allowed to be dealt 4 years away following 2020 draft, the Noel & A.Thomas trades might be the new baseline for max. value rather than Lalonde as a min..

I can see 3,4,4,5 in lieu of 2-2nds becoming the norm.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
The Lalonde deal was made at the beginning of last season between GMs with a long time working relationship and based on previous deals. With picks only allowed to be dealt 4 years away following 2020 draft, the Noel & A.Thomas trades might be the new baseline for max. value rather than Lalonde as a min..

I can see 3,4,4,5 in lieu of 2-2nds becoming the norm.

Any Vukojevic deal should happen in the off season, not at the deadline like Noel/Thomas hence the higher price.

Also, as likely the top ‘01 D available, it isn’t unreasonable to expect my set return as opposed to the return of, say, Noel, who wasn’t having a good season at the time of his trade.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Maybe we should be looking at Cole Sheffield as well? ;-)
He did look sharp for sure, positionally he seemed to really set himself up nicely in the net. Such a tough call on a young goalie as far as future prediction of success goes though?

Reactions: EvenSteven

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Such a tough call on a young goalie as far as future prediction of success goes though?

I would say so. Historically, without looking it up, I would imagine of the goalies taken in the first round of the OHL draft, it’s split between them being high end and being just average.

Likely why most teams wait until the 2nd round and beyond to start taking goalies.

Reactions: Buttsy

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
it’s gotta be worth looking into trading Justin MacPherson as well. can put up around 20 points and a steady stay at home game with over 200 games played in the OHL

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
it’s gotta be worth looking into trading Justin MacPherson as well. can put up around 20 points and a steady stay at home game with over 200 games played in the OHL
I think with the cancelation of the season in the CHL and the NHL season being really on the brink that next season’s OHL OA class may be impacted in some manner. I don’t think you will see to many teams filling out their OA needs until late in training camp this fall. Just an opinion but I think it may be a non typical OA class with perhaps a star or two returning to Junior that normally you would not have seen.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Any Vukojevic deal should happen in the off season, not at the deadline like Noel/Thomas hence the higher price.

Also, as likely the top ‘01 D available, it isn’t unreasonable to expect my set return as opposed to the return of, say, Noel, who wasn’t having a good season at the time of his trade.
In theory it should happen in the off season. In reality I doubt it will. I would not be surprised if there is a moratorium on trades until things get back to normal. I'm not sure when that will be.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

McPherson will be a very good add to a contender’s bottom pairing at the trade deadline. Wale as well.

Whether either or both are moved will depend on how our draft goes, a Vukojevic trade goes, the import draft goes, and whether we can get any of our already drafted prospects to report.

Should we select two defenceman out of our first four picks in this draft, I can see them playing on the roster this year.

If a Vukojevic deal happens and a young defenceman is part of the package coming back, we select a D in the import draft, or if we are successful in getting one or more of our already drafted D prospects to report, room will have to be opened up on the blueline.

Right now we are:

Sebrango*
Xhekaj*
Motew*
Ottavainen*
Vukojovic
Wale
MacPherson

The first four should remain with the team post 2021 trade deadline. I also believe one of our overage D will be on our roster after the deadline as well. That will leave room for two or three more defenceman on our blue line. Those slots will either be filled by the possibilities I mentioned above or with a second OA D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad