Kitchener Rangers 2020 Offseason Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 12, 2009
you won't get any real value for Mac, I'd try and work a deal to flip him to a team who wants an OA D and has an OA forward to spare. Mac is a better skater, but I think Wale is better defensively and might have a bit more awareness in the oppositions end.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Especially the "everything" part. Will they be able to get the extra billets in the midst of this COVID thing. And they would have to implement testing with them as well as the players. Could be a logistics nightmare.
The whole U.S. team thing is a conundrum for sure.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
you won't get any real value for Mac, I'd try and work a deal to flip him to a team who wants an OA D and has an OA forward to spare. Mac is a better skater, but I think Wale is better defensively and might have a bit more awareness in the oppositions end.

I was thinking the same thing. We can keep one older D to show the kids the ropes. Flip the other for an OA vet that can do likewise for the forward group. Get draft picks for Vuk.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I was thinking the same thing. We can keep one older D to show the kids the ropes. Flip the other for an OA vet that can do likewise for the forward group. Get draft picks for Vuk.

Personally I’m keeping MacPherson and flipping Wale. MacPherson has been here longer and knows “the ropes” in Kitchener better than Wale would.

I was hoping Vukojevic would go in the off-season to get more in return, but it doesn’t look like that will be happening between the pandemic and the fact that they have marketed him as the face of their team for the season. Doubt he gets traded before he plays a game this season.

Ranger007

Jan 12, 2017

Looking at this forward group, anyone else think the Rangers will have trouble scoring goals this season?

Ranger007

Jan 12, 2017

This was alluded to in a Mitchell Martin interview from awhile ago.

So barring a trade, this is the roster the Rangers go into the season with. No chance for an Arber Xhekaj or Jonny Yantsis to make an impression at camp and earn a spot.

With that said, I wonder what others thoughts on what the lineup looks like? Will they go with 11 F/7 D for the bulk of the season again?

Here’s my projection:

Valade-Petizian-Fishman
Langdon-Pinelli-McDonnell
Sop-LeBlanc-Serpa
Martin- -Dickerson
Ex. Swick (interchanging with Martin/Dickerson)

Vukojevic-Xhekaj
MacPherson-Sebrango
Wale-Ottavainen
Motew
Ex. LeBlanc (splitting games 70-30 with Motew until a Vukojevic/MacPherson/Wale trade)

Cajan
Parsons

The 11 forwards changes if they add another older player. I don’t know what they do with Motew at that point because he needs to start getting minutes eventually

Looking at this forward group, anyone else think the Rangers will have trouble scoring goals this season?

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018

I think it will look much like the 18-19 season. 4 or 5 guys are going to carry the load (Valade, McDonnell, Pinelli, Petizian) and then there will be a catastrophic drop off.

Some signs of hope for me are that Mitchell Martin lead 03s in points in the NOJHL last season. While not as strong of a league as the OJHL per se, it’s not nothing. Matthew Sop also produced similar points as a 16 year old in the OJHL as Declan McDonnell did the season prior.

I think MM utilizes his bottom 6 better than McKee ever did which will also help the younger guys

Reactions: rangersblues

Lokalhockeyfan

Sep 11, 2019
With the Stanley Cup finals still in progress and the 2020-2021 season expected to only start in the new year will we not see Damiani and Noel return for training camp and the beginning portion of the season? I can’t see NHL teams wanting their prospects to be sitting around not playing games for 9+ months ..

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
With the Stanley Cup finals still in progress and the 2020-2021 season expected to only start in the new year will we not see Damiani and Noel return for training camp and the beginning portion of the season? I can’t see NHL teams wanting their prospects to be sitting around not playing games for 9+ months ..

Doubt it. Another logistical nightmare with how the OHL would have to handle overagers. Almost, if not every team would be over the limit and would then lose their best players a month before the trade deadline. Teams would have to carry extra players for when this happens as well

Seems like Europe’s the spot to be for teams who want their guys to get started back up.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Anyone know a place to watch some older games? Was hoping to watch some of the games from the 2018 conference finals run.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
2 of the 3 most SOUTHERLY teams in the NHL play in a bubble in the most NORTHERLY city in the NHL in the Stanley Cup finals in September. Never thought I would see the day but glad it's over.

Reactions: MatthewsMoustache

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Based on Lisa MacLeod's comments today, I wouldn't expect OHL hockey any time soon. She shot down any consideration of having fans in buildings or body contact. Also said she has received no proposal from the league on amount of testing. I may be over-reading it, but I take it as effectively they won't allow that level of hockey until there's a vaccine.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Based on Lisa MacLeod's comments today, I wouldn't expect OHL hockey any time soon. She shot down any consideration of having fans in buildings or body contact. Also said she has received no proposal from the league on amount of testing. I may be over-reading it, but I take it as effectively they won't allow that level of hockey until there's a vaccine.
I always enjoy finding solutions but geesch...when looking at all the factors (health and financials) I can't find a solution to allow the OHL to play.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
I always enjoy finding solutions but geesch...when looking at all the factors (health and financials) I can't find a solution to allow the OHL to play.

Me neither. It's pretty clear the only path to playing is if they relent a fair bit on health protocols and it's pretty clear they won't/can't. So, not a big leap to start to doubt we're having a season.

Reactions: rangersblues

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017

Perhaps now with the new, quick tests arranged through the Fed Gov't, a testing strategy can be put forward. Over in the UK, they too are having issues getting going. Article yesterday in The Star:
Steelers' coach Aaron Fox believes advances in UK coronavirus testing are essential if there is to be any chance of ice hockey returning to the UK in the next few months.
(portions of the article)....
Fox says countries like Switzerland are allowing fans back in venues, with masks.
"The biggest issue here is testing," he said, adding that in Dubai, travellers are swiftly tested at the airport and turned around if they are Covid positive.
He said in other countries, people could get results speedily adding: "That is the key to getting back to normal life, an inexpensive test that gets quick results and people can start doing stuff again."
The coach added: "Things are going to have to get back to normal at some point, whether it is people having to wear a mask everywhere they go...the death rates are down, cases may be up but everything else is down."

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Perhaps now with the new, quick tests arranged through the Fed Gov't, a testing strategy can be put forward.

I was going to add that major improvements in testing are the only viable answer prior to a vaccine, but from what I've read, even the rapid testing capacity Health Canada just green-lit will take months to roll out on any scale and of course come with a cost, to Ward's point. And even if they become available en masse at an affordable price, there are still all kinds of logistics and administration headaches to clear, not to mention getting the gov't to approve that it would make large gatherings and contact sports safe. Point is, it'll be slow. I really want to be optimistic, but nothing about the circumstances or costs points me towards a solution before spring.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
IMHO, "testing" is one of those things that is so over blown in the media that people start to think it is some sort of cure all. Testing for COVID is only a test to see if you have COVID-19 at the time of the test. If you are going to leave the clinic and join in on some house party, mask or no mask, you are still very much at risk of contacting this virus.

I don't get this mentality of people going out for a test if they don't have symptoms; only to see if they have it or not. I truly feel it is giving these people a false sense of security. Unless they intend to get into a bubble of other "clears" and stay there. But even the "bubble theory" is being misunderstood from what I have heard.

A vaccine is the only solution to slow down the spread and this brings its own set of logistics complications.

Last edited:

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
As of today, we are 46 days away from the alleged 1st day of training camps.

We are yet to see a schedule, a plan for testing, we don’t know if there will be fans or not & have no idea what’s happening with the 3 American teams.

Not good.

Reactions: GeoBlue

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
As of today, we are 46 days away from the alleged 1st day of training camps.

We are yet to see a schedule, a plan for testing, we don’t know if there will be fans or not & have no idea what’s happening with the 3 American teams.

Not good.

Can't blame them for waiting especially with this so-called 2nd wave. If hospitalizations start ramping up, we have a problem. The media LOVES to scream about cases when over 80% are never hospital. Another wait and see. The next few weeks should tell the tale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad