Kitchener Rangers 2020 Offseason Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Lots of undrafted talent this year. Here Valade and Ottavainen, as well as guys around the league such as Hardie, Cardwell, Brochu, Rafkin off the top of my head.

Feel bad that they won’t have the opportunity to open some eyes at a development camp next week like they would in a normal year. By the way things are going, maybe not even a season to prove anyone wrong.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Surprised to not see Valade go tbh. Sure he didn't take the steps we were hoping he would this year.... But I would have thought a 6th or 7th was warranted! He has shown really good glimpses.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Surprised to not see Valade go tbh. Sure he didn't take the steps we were hoping he would this year.... But I would have thought a 6th or 7th was warranted! He has shown really good glimpses.

A lot of things that were out of his or anyone’s control this season. Team was going all in, so there were a lot of guys that were ahead of him in the lineup. On top of that, they never actually got to go on that playoff run where he could’ve had a bit more of a spotlight on him as more teams got eliminated. As well as 2 injuries which IIRC were both questionable hits.

I’ve been comparing guys like Valade/McDonnell/Petizian to Meireles/Damiani/Yantsis for awhile because I think they will explode next season given the opportunity. I honestly believe there will be a) 30 teams wishing they hadn’t let McDonnell fall so far and b) a lot of teams reconsidering Valade and Petizian in the 2021 draft.

Reactions: robertmac43

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
CHL TOP.....wait for it....PRE-SEASON TOP TEN

EjMe0kEX0AIyiC-

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
I didn't notice how many games they said they were going to play? Have all three leagues agreed upon 60+ game season??

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I didn't notice how many games they said they were going to play? Have all three leagues agreed upon 60+ game season??

I imagine so. Interesting that they’re doing the US division. It’s a little different I guess with 5 teams compared to 3 in the O, but that’s seeming more and more like the reality for Erie, Flint & Saginaw.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I imagine so. Interesting that they’re doing the US division. It’s a little different I guess with 5 teams compared to 3 in the O, but that’s seeming more and more like the reality for Erie, Flint & Saginaw.

That's not new for Covid. The WHL's 4 divisions in a normal year are BC, East, Central and USA

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
That's not new for Covid. The WHL's 4 divisions in a normal year are BC, East, Central and USA

They will be exclusively playing each other for this season though. That’s what I was wondering if the OHL would adopt for the season. With the WHL doing it, I assume they will have to as well?

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
They will be exclusively playing each other for this season though. That’s what I was wondering if the OHL would adopt for the season. With the WHL doing it, I assume they will have to as well?

The difference being the US teams aren't all in the same division in the OHL. So if they did do the WHL model where you only play your division, that wouldn't mean US only playing US.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
The difference being the US teams aren't all in the same division in the OHL. So if they did do the WHL model where you only play your division, that wouldn't mean US only playing US.

There would obviously have to be some realigning done to make it work. It will be more regionally based (ie. London/Windsor/Sarnia, Kitchener/Guelph/Owen Sound/Barrie, etc.)

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
no Merkley, Regula, Foudy, Guskov, Willms, Gruden, Phillips and maybe even McMichael, and not many (if any?) significant additions.

lol.

I’m a Knights supporter totally, but I have to agree 115% unless Mark & Dale pull several rabbits out of the ole proverbial hat I see them as a middle of the pack team at best. You just can’t loose that much talent with basically no additions other then your kids and expect to be in the Top 10? Granted, I agree totally with the approach of doing nothing at this point as the season is still very much up in the air. Also the unknown factors of who will be returned vs overages etc. No sense blowing your brains out when you may never see any additions you acquire actually “hit the ice”.

Reactions: MatthewsMoustache

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Pretty hard to do a strictly US Division with only 3 teams. Moreover, I think it might be unfair as well since Saginaw is a top ten CHL team and the other two are a good few steps behind. At his point, your guess is as good as any.....wish the USA would get a better handle on Covid....not that Canada is perfect but we are doing a hell of a lot better than they are and it doesn't seem to be trending well with that buffoon at the helm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad