Kitchener Rangers 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Has anyone been going to the gold cup games and if so any reports on any of our draft picks.

Not me. No time. But they had a couple minutes on it on the 6 o'clock local news. Interviewed a couple locals drafted by other OHL teams. Nothing Ranger related though.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I'm gonna suggest something here that is a little outside the box. Obviously, I've lots of time on my hands waiting around for the Import draft!

Reading the Petes board. Their first rounder is still a non report and is now making noise about playing in Switzerland next year. Speculation is that the McTavish camp is posturing to force a trade during the September trade window. Some fans think it would be better to deal him during the January window for warm bodies but the Switzerland thing sort of forces the GM's hand to do a deal in September.

Apparently Petes GM Oke is on the last year of his contract and likely looks to go all in this year. If that is the case, the assets gained by dealing McTavish would be needed to bolster the roster. A package of picks in September would do the trick.

I'm hoping that MM has picked up the phone and has had discussions with both Oke and the McTavish camp. Who knows? Maybe they are already talking and a deal will be in place by September!

A possible deal for McTavish may alter Ranger plans for a run in 19-20. Sure, the Rangers have a healthy draft cupboard right now. Easily enough to put together a package for McTavish. But not enough to both go after McTavich and bolster the roster for a run this year.

Bolstering for a run this year could get expensive. We'd need a #1 goalie and likely two veteran additions to the blueline. We'd need to get all three of Meireles, Yantsis, and Garreffa back as OA's. But then we still might need another forward to play among our top six. As it stands now, our top six looks to be those three plus Damiani, Stepien and Petizian. Unless we draft an import forward who can play immediately in the top six, I might want to add a top six veteran forward to that group as well. (I'd still have Valade / Langdon as two thirds of a very good third line). All that would put a big dent in our draft cupboard. I'd expect that if we went this route, we'd have an empty cupboard again and be looking to sell off again going into 20-21.

On the other hand, if we were to forgo the "all-in" route next season, and instead, focus on 20-21 and 21-22, things could get very interesting.

To kick off that process, we'd have to look to be sellers this upcoming season. That means between now and the deadline, we move two or three of our most valuable graduating players.

Meireles and Yantsis should bring decent return as high end OA's. At worst, for a 100 point player and a 50 goal scorer we should get Salinitri/Saigeon value. That's two 2nds and a 3rd. In truth though, somewhere between that and Maksimovich/Neumann value would be more expected - especially if Meireles and Yantsis pick up where they left off last year. If Meireles isn't returned for his OA season, then we move Joey.

Damiani, another grad (I'd be very surprised if he played an OA season), would bring a ton at the deadline. Nobody would expect Robertson value of course, but somewhere in the neighbourhood of an Entwistle (2 2nds, 3 3rds) / McLeod (2 2nds, 3 3rds + a D) return wouldn't be out of the question.

If we were to be able to move those three players, we could possibly add six 2nds and five 3rds to the cupboard. That more than replaces the cost of a McTavish (see below).

Back to McTavish.
He was taken 5th overall in the draft. As a defective player, his value would be comparable to the last defective player that Peterboro traded, Will Cuylle. For Cuylle, Windsor sent Peterboro three 2nds (one conditional), three 3rds and a 5th. Peterboro also got two comp picks (5th and 42nd).

From what I understand, a team cannot be awarded the first round comp pick two years in a row for defective players. So Peterboro wouldn't get that first round pick next year in the top five. But they would still get very fair return for McTavish if they traded him. That would go a long way to help Oke turn Peterboro into a contender in 19-20.

Based on the current Ranger draft cupboard, we easily have the assets to complete a trade for McTavish. That's before any sell off of our graduating players. With that in mind, the following could be completed in September:

To Kitchener:
Mason McTavish

To Peterboro:
2nd in 21 (Kit)
2nd in 22 (Kit)
2nd in 23 (Wsr)
3rd in 20 (Osh)
3rd in 22 (Osh)
3rd in 23 (Osh)
5th in 22 (Kit)

In McTavish, Kitchener would be getting one of the top forwards in the draft. He is a high scoring power forward. Just what everyone needs. He and Pinelli would set us up just nice up front for the next few years. The core of our lineup entering the 20-21 season would look pretty good should everyone develop on cue.

Forwards:
Stepien - 01
Petizian - 01
Tresoor - 01
Valade - 02
Langdon - 02
Pinelli - 03
McTavich - 03

Defense:
MacPherson - OA
Vukojevic - 01
Xhekaj - 01
Sebrango - 02
Motew - 03

Goal:
Wu - 03

- Add the possibility that Roman Schmidt may come to start that season.
- Surely we'd have a couple very good imports.
- With the assets we gain in dealing our graduating vets, we'd easily be able to augment that lineup with the pieces to make us a high end team.

I don't know. Sounds like a good plan to me!

Reactions: hockeyfan9102

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I'm gonna suggest something here that is a little outside the box. Obviously, I've lots of time on my hands waiting around for the Import draft!

Reading the Petes board. Their first rounder is still a non report and is now making noise about playing in Switzerland next year. Speculation is that the McTavish camp is posturing to force a trade during the September trade window. Some fans think it would be better to deal him during the January window for warm bodies but the Switzerland thing sort of forces the GM's hand to do a deal in September.

Apparently Petes GM Oke is on the last year of his contract and likely looks to go all in this year. If that is the case, the assets gained by dealing McTavish would be needed to bolster the roster. A package of picks in September would do the trick.

I'm hoping that MM has picked up the phone and has had discussions with both Oke and the McTavish camp. Who knows? Maybe they are already talking and a deal will be in place by September!

A possible deal for McTavish may alter Ranger plans for a run in 19-20. Sure, the Rangers have a healthy draft cupboard right now. Easily enough to put together a package for McTavish. But not enough to both go after McTavich and bolster the roster for a run this year.

Bolstering for a run this year could get expensive. We'd need a #1 goalie and likely two veteran additions to the blueline. We'd need to get all three of Meireles, Yantsis, and Garreffa back as OA's. But then we still might need another forward to play among our top six. As it stands now, our top six looks to be those three plus Damiani, Stepien and Petizian. Unless we draft an import forward who can play immediately in the top six, I might want to add a top six veteran forward to that group as well. (I'd still have Valade / Langdon as two thirds of a very good third line). All that would put a big dent in our draft cupboard. I'd expect that if we went this route, we'd have an empty cupboard again and be looking to sell off again going into 20-21.

On the other hand, if we were to forgo the "all-in" route next season, and instead, focus on 20-21 and 21-22, things could get very interesting.

To kick off that process, we'd have to look to be sellers this upcoming season. That means between now and the deadline, we move two or three of our most valuable graduating players.

Meireles and Yantsis should bring decent return as high end OA's. At worst, for a 100 point player and a 50 goal scorer we should get Salinitri/Saigeon value. That's two 2nds and a 3rd. In truth though, somewhere between that and Maksimovich/Neumann value would be more expected - especially if Meireles and Yantsis pick up where they left off last year. If Meireles isn't returned for his OA season, then we move Joey.

Damiani, another grad (I'd be very surprised if he played an OA season), would bring a ton at the deadline. Nobody would expect Robertson value of course, but somewhere in the neighbourhood of an Entwistle (2 2nds, 3 3rds) / McLeod (2 2nds, 3 3rds + a D) return wouldn't be out of the question.

If we were to be able to move those three players, we could possibly add six 2nds and five 3rds to the cupboard. That more than replaces the cost of a McTavish (see below).

Back to McTavish.
He was taken 5th overall in the draft. As a defective player, his value would be comparable to the last defective player that Peterboro traded, Will Cuylle. For Cuylle, Windsor sent Peterboro three 2nds (one conditional), three 3rds and a 5th. Peterboro also got two comp picks (5th and 42nd).

From what I understand, a team cannot be awarded the first round comp pick two years in a row for defective players. So Peterboro wouldn't get that first round pick next year in the top five. But they would still get very fair return for McTavish if they traded him. That would go a long way to help Oke turn Peterboro into a contender in 19-20.

Based on the current Ranger draft cupboard, we easily have the assets to complete a trade for McTavish. That's before any sell off of our graduating players. With that in mind, the following could be completed in September:

To Kitchener:
Mason McTavish

To Peterboro:
2nd in 21 (Kit)
2nd in 22 (Kit)
2nd in 23 (Wsr)
3rd in 20 (Osh)
3rd in 22 (Osh)
3rd in 23 (Osh)
5th in 22 (Kit)

In McTavish, Kitchener would be getting one of the top forwards in the draft. He is a high scoring power forward. Just what everyone needs. He and Pinelli would set us up just nice up front for the next few years. The core of our lineup entering the 20-21 season would look pretty good should everyone develop on cue.

Forwards:
Stepien - 01
Petizian - 01
Tresoor - 01
Valade - 02
Langdon - 02
Pinelli - 03
McTavich - 03

Defense:
MacPherson - OA
Vukojevic - 01
Xhekaj - 01
Sebrango - 02
Motew - 03

Goal:
Wu - 03

- Add the possibility that Roman Schmidt may come to start that season.
- Surely we'd have a couple very good imports.
- With the assets we gain in dealing our graduating vets, we'd easily be able to augment that lineup with the pieces to make us a high end team.

I don't know. Sounds like a good plan to me!

I think adding McTavish rounds up the forward group going into this year too. My biggest question in that group is the 4th line and McTavish sounds a lot more promising than any of the other options right now. I think they could compete for a few seasons to come if they do this. Once the OA forwards and Damiani are gone, the 02s and 03s slide up once they are older.

Reactions: EvenSteven

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Hat trick for Pinelli in a blowout game...
upload_2019-5-4_9-27-31.png

Pinelli helped GTHL Blue to Win over Team HNO with Hat Trick | OHL Gold Cup

Mitchel Martin and Fishman also have points for their teams.

The stats on the OHL Gold Cup site are behind though and doesn't include the Pinelli hat trick.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I think adding McTavish rounds up the forward group going into this year too. My biggest question in that group is the 4th line and McTavish sounds a lot more promising than any of the other options right now. I think they could compete for a few seasons to come if they do this. Once the OA forwards and Damiani are gone, the 02s and 03s slide up once they are older.

I believe we only have Motew signed thus far. Pinelli will follow. That would leave one spot left for a 16 year old. (Current rules allow for three 16 year olds?) Hopefully that spot stays open until September.

Last edited:

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

On opening night in September, we could look like this:

Petizian / Meireles / Yantsis
Garreffa / Damiani / Stepien
Langdon / Pinelli / Valade
Import / McTavish / Serpa
Tresoor / Dickerson / Fishman or Martin

Vukojevic / MacPherson
Sebrango / Import
Motew / Xhekaj
Rupoli

Richardson
Pfiel
Purcell.

Then, after the deadline:

Garreffa / Petizian / Stepien
Langdon / OA / Valade
Import / McTavish / Pinelli
Tresoor / Fishman or Martin / Serpa
Dickerson

Vukojevic / MacPherson
Sebrango / Import
Xhekaj / Motew
Rupoli

Richardson
Purcell

I'll assume we'd bring in a third OA of the inexpensive variety. Likely a forward since that forward group post deadline would be young.

I also wouldn't be surprised if another skater came our way in the deals for our graduating players.

Maybe one of Fishman/Martin signs an A card and the other a B card.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
I have been to the Gold Cup. A few notes:

- Pinelli is as advertised. I saw him in a mis-match against HNO, but he's big, moves well and has a very quick, hard release. Might be more of a goal scorer than I had thought.
- Fishman has skill to burn. And confidence to burn. He isn't the biggest kid and plays a tad cocky and maybe a bit too focused on trying to wow people than always making the right play. He could stand to look pass a bit more, but is on the high end of skill that I saw in the game. Easily amongst the best hands.
- Martin is the big body with some skill that many on here have been looking for them to draft. He will need some seasoning as his game is a bit raw and his decision-making along the boards was spotty. But he has a nose for the net, uses his body and gets around well for a big guy. Went to the net for a tap in which is where he should make his living. A more polished Yantsis.
- I know Schmidt is a great prospect, but I sure hope he comes because two picks after we took him, Paul Christopolous went to North Bay and that kid is a player. If he isn't a top pairing D in the OHL in 2-3 years, I'll be shocked. So smart and poised in all zones and a wicked release. He would have looked great in Ranger blue.
- Wu was not tested in the game I saw, but looked poised and agile.

- Non-Ranger picks that stood out were Thomas Johnson and Kaleb Nelson. Scouts were torn on them because they're not huge but they sure looked dynamic yesterday. Didn't see much out of Matier to warrant the high pick, but it was only one game. As always, it looks like some teams (Hamilton, North Bay) had killer drafts. Ours falls somewhere in the decent range but may hinge entirely on Schmidt because we passed on some real players to get him.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I have been to the Gold Cup. A few notes:

- Pinelli is as advertised. I saw him in a mis-match against HNO, but he's big, moves well and has a very quick, hard release. Might be more of a goal scorer than I had thought.
- Fishman has skill to burn. And confidence to burn. He isn't the biggest kid and plays a tad cocky and maybe a bit too focused on trying to wow people than always making the right play. He could stand to look pass a bit more, but is on the high end of skill that I saw in the game. Easily amongst the best hands.
- Martin is the big body with some skill that many on here have been looking for them to draft. He will need some seasoning as his game is a bit raw and his decision-making along the boards was spotty. But he has a nose for the net, uses his body and gets around well for a big guy. Went to the net for a tap in which is where he should make his living. A more polished Yantsis.
- I know Schmidt is a great prospect, but I sure hope he comes because two picks after we took him, Paul Christopolous went to North Bay and that kid is a player. If he isn't a top pairing D in the OHL in 2-3 years, I'll be shocked. So smart and poised in all zones and a wicked release. He would have looked great in Ranger blue.
- Wu was not tested in the game I saw, but looked poised and agile.

- Non-Ranger picks that stood out were Thomas Johnson and Kaleb Nelson. Scouts were torn on them because they're not huge but they sure looked dynamic yesterday. Didn't see much out of Matier to warrant the high pick, but it was only one game. As always, it looks like some teams (Hamilton, North Bay) had killer drafts. Ours falls somewhere in the decent range but may hinge entirely on Schmidt because we passed on some real players to get him.
Thanks Tim, always appreciated

Last edited:

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I don't understand having Petizian on the first line. He's a third line type player. I like his heart, but he's not a goal scorer.

I'd have Valade ahead of him.

I was just basing my lines on who everyone played with for the majority of last year. Also, I was looking at Valade and Langdon playing together. Everything can change though with the stroke of a pen.

I see Petizian progressing into another Michael Catenacci but with a little more grit. But he may find, as he gets into his 19 year-old season, the same problem that Catenacci did - younger, more higher ranked players passing him on the depth chart. If you remember, Catenacci never saw any power play time at all until his overage year.

Wouldn't be surprised if Petizian finds himself in the same boat

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Today NOHA 3 RED 2 (shots Red 43 Noha 12.... (Red has some heavyweights including Shane Wright, Brandt Clarke)

Ranger draft picks: Mitchell Martin scored the winning goal for NOHA. Fishman was named Player of the Game for red.

BLUE 3-1 No points for Pinelli and Wu was not in net. McTavish for HEO no points.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
purely speculation, but maybe we could see Pinelli sign once gold cup is all wrapped up. this will be the 3rd time in a month that he’s been in Kitchener (draft day, spring camp, gold cup)

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Mitchell Martin goal...........he did well in the tournament...3 goals and an assist in 4 games.....#2 on his team....and a big boy. I hope this link works!!

Reactions: Ward Cornell

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I don't understand having Petizian on the first line. He's a third line type player. I like his heart, but he's not a goal scorer.

I'd have Valade ahead of him.

Further to my response to this post above, Valade is a RW while Petizian is a C/LW. For Valade to rise above a Petizian on the depth chart would be to ask him to play out of position.

Could Valade play RW on the top line post trade deadline? Sure. But it wouldn't be at the expense of Petizian. More likely at the expense of Stepien.

Valade had only an ok first half of the season last year but came on in the last couple months. He's still trying to establish himself in this league. Playing him anywhere other than his natural position / comfort zone could be detrimental to his development.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Petizian is not a first line player. 8 goals in 2 seasons. First line players have to produce

He a definitely a better checker than a scorer.

My point was Valade has more potential to produce than Petizian does
I agree Sheila. Valade really came on in the last half. He showed a lot of speed and wasn't afraid to go into the dirty areas. His compete level turned right around after Christmas and he player with a ton of confidence. I think he could be another Merieles going forward. He has some size also as compared to Petizian. I like Petizian though. He is small but has a bit of that sandpaper thing that bugs the opposing players. Guess we will see how it all works out in September.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Good points made by both you guys.

In this day and age, we often find that every good line has two primo players plus a "third" lesser player in an effort to not have all your "eggs in one basket" so to speak. Especially since, in my idea of selling next year and having the team not be a contender, our lineup will be absent of numerous primo players. If we were a top contender, as we saw a couple years ago, its a different story. There were almost no "thirds".

We could load up all our players onto the top line but where would that leave the rest of the lineup?

My lines above, post trade deadline, has that "third" on each line:

Garreffa and Stepien with Petizian as the third.

Valade and Langdon with the acquired OA as the third. (Remember, this OA will not be high end as he likely comes back in one of the deals for our outgoing OA's).

Also, me having Valade and Langdon on the second line should keep them away from the other team's top checkers and top defensive units the majority of the time.

Make no mistake, if we do sell off next year, guys like Langdon and Valade will be looked at to be big contributors the rest of the way. No doubt, they will both see first power play unit time. I'd foresee those PP units being:

Valade - Stepien - Langdon
Garreffa - Vukojevic

OA - Petizian - Pinelli or McTavish
Garreffa - Sebrango

Hopefully, by the time we get to next year's post trade deadline, Valade and Langdon will have found their way in this league to the point where they could handle second line duties. Who knows? By that time, those lines may not be first and second lines, but 1 and 1A.

Mar 12, 2009
Petizian is not a first line player. 8 goals in 2 seasons. First line players have to produce

He a definitely a better checker than a scorer.

My point was Valade has more potential to produce than Petizian does
He was also a 2nd year player given bottom 6 minutes. A small guy named Catenacci played 2 games his 16 year old season, had 5 in 59 his second season...his 3rd year and beyond were pretty good.
I'm not saying he's going to be a Catenacci, but smaller guys with heart like him take some time to figure out how to use their offensive skills effectively at this level and can sometimes really break out from one year to the next. I'm not expecting that, but I'm not writing him off as being a 3rd line checker indefinitely. Early on, I'd be fine with seeing him get increased ice time and perhaps a crack at the 2nd PP to see how far his game has come (not at the expense of guys like Langdon and Valade getting good minutes).

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
He was also a 2nd year player given bottom 6 minutes. A small guy named Catenacci played 2 games his 16 year old season, had 5 in 59 his second season...his 3rd year and beyond were pretty good.
I'm not saying he's going to be a Catenacci, but smaller guys with heart like him take some time to figure out how to use their offensive skills effectively at this level and can sometimes really break out from one year to the next. I'm not expecting that, but I'm not writing him off as being a 3rd line checker indefinitely. Early on, I'd be fine with seeing him get increased ice time and perhaps a crack at the 2nd PP to see how far his game has come (not at the expense of guys like Langdon and Valade getting good minutes).

We've had how many players like the Cat the past 10 seasons? Or forever for that matter.

I'm hoping management and coaching staff deal with reality and not hoping for best case scenario. Let the chips fall where they may.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
We've had how many players like the Cat the past 10 seasons? Or forever for that matter.

I'm hoping management and coaching staff deal with reality and not hoping for best case scenario. Let the chips fall where they may.

I don't understand what you mean here. Scrap out Petizian?

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
I think he more a less meant not to try and force Petizian up in the lineup to try and mold him to be like Catenacci. Let things play out naturally
Exactly. Comparing players to previous players who were stars doesn't do anyone any favours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad