Kitchener Rangers 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I WAS going to say that but I think it was not so much us fizzling out than it was Guelph just not taking many penalties. However, I agree that a cannon from the point would be an additional weapon to an already potent arsenal. No pun intended.

Guelph didn't take as many penalties as we expected they would, but they did take a few. However, whatever video George watched, he solved our power play in the playoffs. I believe our PP was 0 for 11 in the four games. For the top power play in the league, that's a little bit of a step down.

From what I could tell from watching the games in the playoffs, our pass across one timer that was working all year did not work against Guelph. They were intercepting that pass.

A big booming shot from the point coming in every now and again as an option probably would've helped.

Joey is good at what he does on the power play. But he is restricted because he does not have that big shot. The opposition knows what he's gonna do and what is not going to be able to do.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

Mein Yak

Jan 5, 2019
So lately I have been thinking about possible trades and picks to make us a contender next year:

Kit trades:
OSH 3rd 2020
MIS 4th 2020
SBY 2nd 2023
Kit 2nd 2022
NIA 3rd 2024
Serpa
Rupoli

SSM:
Hayton
LeGuerrier

I would only do this trade if Hayton is back in OHL

If this does not happen we can trade for Cam Hills and Owen Lalonde of the Guelph Storm, however it would probably cost us more.

Next up in their import draft with our 1st pick I would take a goalie. Some of the goalies that look good are,
Lukas Parik 2001
Lukas Parik at eliteprospects.com
Jasper Patrikainen 2000, he is a little older but could be better then the rest next year
Jasper Patrikainen at eliteprospects.com
Hugo Alnefelt 2001
Hugo Alnefelt at eliteprospects.com
In the second round I would take a Defensemen if Anderson does not come next year

Next year lines would look like

Yantsis-Hayton/Hills-Petizan
Stepien-Damiani-Meireles
Garreffa-Langdon-Valade
Dickerson/Guest/FA-Pinelli-Dickerson/Guest/FA

Vukojevic-LeGuerrier/Lalonde
Sebrango-Anderson/Import
MacPherson-Motew/Xhekaj
If we cant get an import or Anderson to come I would move MacPherson up

Import
Pfeil

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
So lately I have been thinking about possible trades and picks to make us a contender next year:

Kit trades:
OSH 3rd 2020
MIS 4th 2020
SBY 2nd 2023
Kit 2nd 2022
NIA 3rd 2024
Serpa
Rupoli

SSM:
Hayton
LeGuerrier

If this does not happen we can trade for Cam Hills and Owen Lalonde of the Guelph Storm, however it would probably cost us more.

Next up in their import draft with our 1st pick I would take a goalie. Some of the goalies that look good are,
Lukas Parik 2001
Jasper Patrikainen 2000, he is a little older but could be better then the rest next year
Hugo Alnefelt 2001
In the second round I would take a Defensemen if Anderson does not come next year

Stepien-Damiani-Meireles
Garreffa-Langdon-Valade

Sebrango-Anderson/Import
MacPherson-Motew/Xhekaj

Import
Pfeil

I like Hayton. But we're going to have to give up a whole lot more than what you suggest here for him. Going into next year, he will likely be one of, if not the top player in the league. The Soo will be looking to hit a homerun if they decide to trade this player.

Mar 12, 2009

Kit trades:
OSH 3rd 2020
MIS 4th 2020
SBY 2nd 2023
Kit 2nd 2022
NIA 3rd 2024
Serpa
Rupoli

SSM:
Hayton
LeGuerrier
It would cost significantly more than that for Hayton alone. I don't see you getting him for less than this years first rounder (unlikely) or one of the 3 higher end 17 year olds we have, and more 2nd's than listed. We're a long way off from considering a move of that magnitude.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018

Kit trades:
OSH 3rd 2020
MIS 4th 2020
SBY 2nd 2023
Kit 2nd 2022
NIA 3rd 2024
Serpa
Rupoli

SSM:
Hayton
LeGuerrier

Lukas Parik 2001
Hugo Alnefelt 2001

Stepien-Damiani-Meireles
Garreffa-Langdon-Valade

Sebrango-Anderson/Import
MacPherson-Motew/Xhekaj

Import
Pfeil

I am all for this trade for Hayton even if they do have to give up a bit more. Do we know if Guest is coming or even debating coming back?

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
I am all for this trade for Hayton even if they do have to give up a bit more. Do we know if Guest is coming or even debating coming back?

After listening to the podcast Guest was on I would say very slim chance he comes back. I’d imagine he tries to go to western university.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
After listening to the podcast Guest was on I would say very slim chance he comes back. I’d imagine he tries to go to western university.
that’s what I was thinking, I’d imagine he’ll play jr. b for one of the London area teams which will allow him to go to school full time

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
It would cost significantly more than that for Hayton alone. I don't see you getting him for less than this years first rounder (unlikely) or one of the 3 higher end 17 year olds we have, and more 2nd's than listed. We're a long way off from considering a move of that magnitude.
Doubt MM is even considering anything this drastic. I believe the Rangers only have one second in each of the next two years.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Next year might be a bit of a weird one in the west with how many teams went in this year.

There’s the Knights, which, well you know, the Knights, who will be in it next year. Kitchener should be in there, and then there’s a significant drop. I think Saginaw’s got a good core of guys returning in Coskey, Giroux, Perfetti, Wilde, etc. Sault will be mid pack and will probably sell off the couple assets they do have. Guelph will be in a rebuild. Owen Sound will be at least another year away. Sarnia has a decent little group there if they can get McGregor and Leufvenius back. Windsor looks good but the management situation is scary. Erie and Flint probably both still a year away too

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
These trade predictions are sort of funny. Looking back 6 months ago, we were all selling off Yantsis, Meireles and Gareffa! Upset that moves weren't made, actually. Now we are building next year's lines around them! LOL! I guess that is why we leave the GM's to do the trading.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I wonder if trade prices might slowly start coming back down. For one, the league now has limits on how far out picks can be traded. Two, this past year, team's seemed to be unwilling to pay the ludicrous prices. The only team who did (Niagara) flamed out miserably.
It's not like the Rangers are over run with seconds. They have one in each of the next two years. Far too risky to sell off assets unless the base of the team is in a position to dominate the league before the deadline. There are no guarantees.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
It's not like the Rangers are over run with seconds. They have one in each of the next two years. Far too risky to sell off assets unless the base of the team is in a position to dominate the league before the deadline. There are no guarantees.

Yeah, I definitely wasn't suggesting Kitchener go all in on trades. It was more just a general observation about how the trade landscape might change this year.

For the Rangers, they have to solve the goaltending first and foremost and find a stable veteran defender as well.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Yeah, I definitely wasn't suggesting Kitchener go all in on trades. It was more just a general observation about how the trade landscape might change this year.

For the Rangers, they have to solve the goaltending first and foremost and find a stable veteran defender as well.
Everyone talks about the "London Model" for how to build a contender. For me that model is having basically a full compliment of drfat picks in the top 4 rounds. Without looking it up, I doubt they've gone those rounds missing a pick in years.
Any trades to acquire a player shouldn't empty those top rounds unless you can also acquire more before the draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gondrex

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Everyone talks about the "London Model" for how to build a contender. For me that model is having basically a full compliment of drfat picks in the top 4 rounds. Without looking it up, I doubt they've gone those rounds missing a pick in years.
Any trades to acquire a player shouldn't empty those top rounds unless you can also acquire more before the draft.

For sure. Well, that and getting high end NCAA commits in lower rounds and having them show up. But yes, you still need the picks.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
For sure. Well, that and getting high end NCAA commits in lower rounds and having them show up. But yes, you still need the picks.
No doubt, but it's having those top picks already selected that allows them to roll the dice in the later rounds. Then they turn around a flip one of those higher drafted players for 2 or 3 high picks......wash, rince repeat year after year.
Don't need to be a great GM in this league, you just need just to deal with one worse than you and desperate or delusional!

Reactions: Gondrex

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario

Tim I was basically agreeing with you . Nothing I said was directed at your post. Just pointing out the two seconds Rangers have. One in each of the next two years☺Not sure if the team will be a real contender next season.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Next year might be a bit of a weird one in the west with how many teams went in this year.

There’s the Knights, which, well you know, the Knights, who will be in it next year. Kitchener should be in there, and then there’s a significant drop. I think Saginaw’s got a good core of guys returning in Coskey, Giroux, Perfetti, Wilde, etc. Sault will be mid pack and will probably sell off the couple assets they do have. Guelph will be in a rebuild. Owen Sound will be at least another year away. Sarnia has a decent little group there if they can get McGregor and Leufvenius back. Windsor looks good but the management situation is scary. Erie and Flint probably both still a year away too
Agreed that Kitchener should be in there next year considering the teams that sold the farm this season. And as everyone says, the goalie position is key.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Agreed that Kitchener should be in there next year considering the teams that sold the farm this season. And as everyone says, the goalie position is key.

With this in mind, one has to wonder if there are any goalies around the league that may be made available going into next year. I for one would like to have our number one in place before the start of the season.

Owen Sound sold off big time at last year's trade deadline. Is there any chance that they would move Mack Guzda? Sure he's an 01 and that alone would raise the price. But that would set us up for the next couple years until Wu is ready to step in as the #1. Guzda started all OS's playoff games. But if I remember correctly, at one point this season, MacLean was equal to or out played Guzda. Would Owen Sound be happy with MacLean as their starter next year, a rebuilding year, along with the assets they would get in return for Guzda?

What kind of team is Missy going to be next year? Looking over their roster, it seems their 01 group is more high-end then their 00 group. With that in mind, maybe they would be open to moving Jacob Ingham.

The Soo will be selling off big-time I believe. Is there any chance we can acquire the rights to Matthew Villalta? He's an overage goaltender I would make room for on our roster should he be returned to the OHL for an overage season. I'm not so sure what the depth chart is like in LA, but it wouldn't be the first time a goaltender of that calibre was returned to the OHL for an overage season. Better to have him play 50+ games at this level than have him sitting on the bench as a back up somewhere.

Nothing against Hayton, but a deal for Villalta and LeGuerrier instead of Hayton and LeGuerrier would make a lot more sense. It wouldn't be as expensive and would better address our immediate needs. To do a Villalta deal though, I want Meireles and Yantsis as my other two over agers. I'm not so sure I go all in next year if Meireles doesn't return. He'd be that important a piece.

Melrose

May 8, 2014
Has anyone been going to the gold cup games and if so any reports on any of our draft picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad