Kitchener Rangers 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

K2

Jun 11, 2015
RANGERS VISION: Spring Camp – Jesse Fishman – Kitchener Rangers

I hope he's (again) a standout at main camp and ends up signing here, seems like a good kid.

It would appear Hasley is exploring other options.

Josh Brown mentioned this was likely Hasley's plan in January and I suppose if you're attending a $90,000+/yr Prep School for high school/hockey and playing some NCAA stream USPHL hockey*, then a Division 1 NCAA destination is at least Mom & Dad's plan ;) Things could change before/after he goes off to University in a year, esp. if he gets drafted pro & fast tracked (unlikely) but who knows.
* BJB News

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
OHL Unfiltered (available on spotify and apple) just had MM on as a guest. it was pretty basic. don’t really cover anything out of the ordinary, hardly even the 4 OA situation. still worth a listen if you’re craving some sort of OHL hockey

Reactions: K2

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
OHL Unfiltered (available on spotify and apple) just had MM on as a guest. it was pretty basic. don’t really cover anything out of the ordinary, hardly even the 4 OA situation. still worth a listen if you’re craving some sort of OHL hockey

Thanks for the info. I think I'll pass.

K2

Jun 11, 2015
Reactions: EvenSteven

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
It's Declan McDonnell. Now that's a pleasant surprise. Very good signing.

And further crowds the forward ranks. I'd expect a deal for a D at some point before camp.
Agreed, been pimping this player since last season!
While forwards are not a high priority for this team, this does allow some options for packaging forwards and picks
for other areas of need!

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
OHL Prospects moves Vuks up on their NHL draft list:

upload_2019-5-23_11-54-20.png

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
Nice to hear Declan has signed. He's Buffalo Jr. Sabre and having a Sabres legend as a coach may have helped attract him.

This puts pressure on players like Dickerson, Tresoor and Petizian. We need some skilled players who can score and make plays.

Reactions: EvenSteven

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Nice to hear Declan has signed. He's Buffalo Jr. Sabre and having a Sabres legend as a coach may have helped attract him.

This puts pressure on players like Dickerson, Tresoor and Petizian. We need some skilled players who can score and make plays.

I'm thinking with a glut of OHL calibre forwards, we may see another season where we further build for 20-21. I expect/hope to see us turn the graduating forwards, should they be returned for next season, shopped for picks/younger players geared towards a three year contending run starting in 20-21.

Should Garreffa, Damiani, Meireles and Yantsis all return, we could choose to make moves to be good next year. Or, we could further stock the draft cupboard/bring in quality youth by moving these players with the future in mind. I'd go with the latter.

The addition of MacDonnell, along with a (hopeful) addition of Schmidt in the same fashion the following year, makes me think that another down year is in order to put us in a position to sit at, or near, the top of the west for three years running.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Pinelli is the real deal. I think you were very lucky/smart to get him where you did as I would have taken him top 5 overall. I also think that Fishman (although small) adds grit and never takes a shift off. Not sure about Motew but comes from a great program so should be a keeper. On the negative side, I think you wasted a pick on Schmidt.....he is all set for USNTDP program and was one of the most over-rated D in the GTHL. Played on an all-star team so always had backup....good on the PP but 5 on 5 he will cost you with his decision making. Overall I think you have a sold 2nd place team in your division and would love to see the puck bounce your way to challenge London.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
On the negative side, I think you wasted a pick on Schmidt.....he is all set for USNTDP program and was one of the most over-rated D in the GTHL. Played on an all-star team so always had backup....good on the PP but 5 on 5 he will cost you with his decision making.

Appreciate the intel on Schmidt as his ranking varied wildly depending on who you spoke to. McKenzie seems to think there's a decent chance he comes in a year or two. I still would have preferred using that pick on Paul Christopolous as I believe he's the real deal and will step in and quickly become a top-4 guy and a possible #1 by the time he's done. May have been complications with having to take his brother as well, but I would have been okay with that. He's a gamer too.

In the 2018 draft both our 2nd rounders and our 3rd rounder had commitments to NCAA schools. After signing McDonnell we've managed to yank 3 guys away from the NCAA, and before that we did the same with Vukojevic. Hopefully this is a trend MM can continue.

It's a good trend that appears directly tied to our recent development track record. This staff started to figure it out and kids were really improving.

Final thought, and not to disparage the kid, but I'd be okay moving on from Tresoor. This will be his 18 year old season and I think his spot can be better used on other players. A few other guys are on notice too.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Appreciate the intel on Schmidt as his ranking varied wildly depending on who you spoke to. McKenzie seems to think there's a decent chance he comes in a year or two. I still would have preferred using that pick on Paul Christopolous as I believe he's the real deal and will step in and quickly become a top-4 guy and a possible #1 by the time he's done. May have been complications with having to take his brother as well, but I would have been okay with that. He's a gamer too.

It's a good trend that appears directly tied to our recent development track record. This staff started to figure it out and kids were really improving.

Final thought, and not to disparage the kid, but I'd be okay moving on from Tresoor. This will be his 18 year old season and I think his spot can be better used on other players. A few other guys are on notice too.

I was just about to say something about the Tresoor situation. There are now 11 forwards that should be every night players (Meireles, Garreffa, Yantsis, Damiani, Stepien, Petizian, Valade, Langdon, Serpa, McDonnell, Pinelli). That leaves Tresoor, Dickerson, Gordon. If you asked me in December, see ya Gordon. But now, it’s a toss up for me. I think they keep Dickerson, I’ve heard he’s good in the room. But I wouldn’t play Dickerson every game. I’d have Gordon and Tresoor battle for the spot that will be rotated with Dickerson. Neither of the 2 have an OHL point. 1 showed flashes of what could be a good 4th liner. the other actually played hockey in the new year, though not with the Rangers, he played somewhere. They each get into games if presumably Damiani or Meireles are kept later in the NHL pre season

Reactions: Tim Wallach

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
what should we be expecting from McDonnell. guys coming to the OHL in their 2nd year of eligibility are always tough to judge. 1 thing to note, he lead all 02s in OJHL scoring (18 goals for 49 points in 54GP), also decently ahead of Matt Papais (41 in 53), Kalvyn Watson (35 in 50) and Ethan Cardwell (28 in 41), who are all signed to their respective OHL teams for next season and all 3 got into some games this season as well

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
If Kalvyn Watson is any indication, you will be getting a player!

Bear in mind that McDonnell was on a pretty good Buffalo team, while Watson's Lindsay team was atrocious.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I was just about to say something about the Tresoor situation. There are now 11 forwards that should be every night players (Meireles, Garreffa, Yantsis, Damiani, Stepien, Petizian, Valade, Langdon, Serpa, McDonnell, Pinelli). That leaves Tresoor, Dickerson, Gordon. If you asked me in December, see ya Gordon. But now, it’s a toss up for me. I think they keep Dickerson, I’ve heard he’s good in the room. But I wouldn’t play Dickerson every game. I’d have Gordon and Tresoor battle for the spot that will be rotated with Dickerson. Neither of the 2 have an OHL point. 1 showed flashes of what could be a good 4th liner. the other actually played hockey in the new year, though not with the Rangers, he played somewhere. They each get into games if presumably Damiani or Meireles are kept later in the NHL pre season

I have Tresoor ahead of both Dickerson and Gordon. Depending on who we are this year, we may be trading away vets. If that's the case, Tresoor will be needed as well as Dickerson I think. I don't believe Gordon is in our plans anymore. Had he been, we would've had him playing games down the stretch and into the postseason once his JrB season was done. Instead, we chose to go with 11 forwards in the lineup. And he was healthy. Played in all four playoff games for his Junior B team.

And another thing about Tresoor. He is one of the few players in the lineup who brings a physical edge. That's reason enough to keep him around.

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
what should we be expecting from McDonnell. guys coming to the OHL in their 2nd year of eligibility are always tough to judge. 1 thing to note, he lead all 02s in OJHL scoring (18 goals for 49 points in 54GP), also decently ahead of Matt Papais (41 in 53), Kalvyn Watson (35 in 50) and Ethan Cardwell (28 in 41), who are all signed to their respective OHL teams for next season and all 3 got into some games this season as well

IIRC you can only sign four 16 year olds for a rookie season. We had Valade, Langdon, Serbrango and Serpa. So we didnt have a roster spot for Declan, leaving him for another year in Buffalo/Lincoln.

You can look up stats but that doesnt tell everything. Other things I have read talk about his high compete level with a good gas tank. The talk about him as a 200 ft player with a shot.
When he came to Spring camp last year, he was one I was hoping would be signed. Getting both Langdon and Serbrango signed kind of complicated the situation but that was a good problem to have.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
IIRC you can only sign four 16 year olds for a rookie season. We had Valade, Langdon, Serbrango and Serpa. So we didnt have a roster spot for Declan, leaving him for another year in Buffalo/Lincoln.

You can look up stats but that doesnt tell everything. Other things I have read talk about his high compete level with a good gas tank. The talk about him as a 200 ft player with a shot.
When he came to Spring camp last year, he was one I was hoping would be signed. Getting both Langdon and Serbrango signed kind of complicated the situation but that was a good problem to have.

I think not signing him last year was similar to Schmidt this year. if they had the choice, I bet McDonnell would've been signed at this point last year. 5 solid 02s though is not a bad thing. Especially with the group of OAs + Damiani and Vukojevic.

It makes sense to make a push this year. The returning roster consists of 10 forwards, 5 defence and both goalies with room to add and a solid 03 crop. The core of this team have been playing together for 3-4 years. They've gone far together but not the distance. If they believe they can win, which they seemingly didn't against Guelph, I think that core of guys that lead the team will be hungry for a championship and that will trickle down the rest of the lineup

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Pinelli is the real deal. I think you were very lucky/smart to get him where you did as I would have taken him top 5 overall. I also think that Fishman (although small) adds grit and never takes a shift off. Not sure about Motew but comes from a great program so should be a keeper. On the negative side, I think you wasted a pick on Schmidt.....he is all set for USNTDP program and was one of the most over-rated D in the GTHL. Played on an all-star team so always had backup....good on the PP but 5 on 5 he will cost you with his decision making. Overall I think you have a sold 2nd place team in your division and would love to see the puck bounce your way to challenge London.

The first place team being.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad