Kitchener Rangers 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I don't think the NTDP commit is too useful a bargaining tool as grads are often top NHL draftees when they become available to join OHL teams. We've drafted lots of players early that have shown up here and played as standouts at 18. If it works out that way with Schmidt and Brown, we should be happy even if Schmidt looks like a Vuko + prospect and would likely have been a contributor as a Rookie. The NCAA 'card' & the "I'll never play anywhere but A or B..." is a better play for kids (...parents) shopping their OHL options since there's no risk, NCAA is an option 3 years down the road and almost a lottery win $-wise for top schools. Early buzz suggests Schmidt is serious about attending Boston U & keep in mind the Knights would have loved Schmidt and had 3 chances to take a flyer on picking him before we did :help:

They apparently used to rush the NTDP roster announcement before signing contracts and would lose one now and again. It's a huge achievement/opportunity for US kids but perhaps less so for dual-citizens already playing up here? I wonder too how many times the $50,000 defect penalty has been collected given the litigiousness of all matters in the US, minors under contract against their will, breach of contract, insufficient funds, etc, etc. I suppose the USA Hockey (Team USA) release ($5000) ends up being the real contractual 'teeth' given that it is respected as requisite for play in other leagues.

That was my #1 concern on draft day when we picked Schmidt:
London passed on him twice in the second round. I think if they thought there was a chance he reports to the OHL now (Stranges) or even down the road (Jones), they take a flyer.

Big red flag for me.

Reactions: Gondrex and K2

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
That was my #1 concern on draft day when we picked Schmidt:
London passed on him twice in the second round. I think if they thought there was a chance he reports to the OHL now (Stranges) or even down the road (Jones), they take a flyer.

Big red flag for me.
Could be he told the Knights he would not report. MM was prudent to pick him. Some of these players send out letters to certain franchises saying not to draft them. This is why you see teams grab them with late picks as flyers. This could be the case here only the Rangers took him early. Guess we as fans will have to wait for a while to see if it works out. Maybe after he gets drafted by an NHL club.

Reactions: Torgo

K2

Jun 11, 2015
are you going today? can’t make it out. wondering if anyone will post the roster if they don’t put it up online

I'd go if was at The Aud today but probably still will see at least one game Saturday. I'm sure someone will post if the team doesn't & Josh Brown possibly will if The Record can spring for Holiday Pay!

K2

Jun 11, 2015
Big red flag for me.

Yes, usually seems the Knights have the whole story on these 'hard to get' guys. I suppose if Schmidt never does report we should have thrown our flyer pick on drafting Isa Parekh in the 2nd and flipping him to Windsor for Cuylie &/or Foudy at some point ;)

Guess we as fans will have to wait for a while to see if it works out. Maybe after he gets drafted by an NHL club.

That's our best chance IMO & he sure looks to be on a trajectory to be a pro at this point.

Reactions: BogeyJ

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I'm sure someone will post if the team doesn't & Josh Brown possibly will if The Record can spring for Holiday Pay!
I'll be surprised if he's there this weekend (could easily be wrong) since the Record seems to be limiting a lot of there coverage this season. Not sure on the percentage but it seemed he missed more roadtrip than yrs past. With today being Good Friday would he get 2x time?

Reactions: K2

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Roster as per josh Brown....
Disappointed not seeing Justin Wu here this weekend and had some hope for McDonnell. Not surprised not seeing Schmidt but Simon Motew is (4th)
Goalies:
Diego D’Alessandro, U18 2019 (12th overall, RD 1)
Dalton McBride, OHL 2018 (97th overall, RD 5)
Colin Purcell, 2018 (297th overall, RD 15)
Defencemen:
Peyton Adams-Matthews, OHL 2018 (177th overall, RD 9)
Dakota Betts, U18 2018 (17th overall, RD 1)
Joseph Blackley, OHL 2019 (295th overall, RD 15)
Kent Cummings, free agent
Mitchell Martin, OHL 2019 (81st overall, RD 4)
Maxim Morris, free agent
Simon Motew, OHL 2019 (75th overall, RD 4)
Noah Prudhomme, U18 2019 (51st overall, RD 3)
Owen Robertson, free agent
Donovan Sebrango, 2018 (40th overall, RD 2)
Cameron Vassos, OHL 2018 (237th overall,RD 12)
Forwards:
Andrew Aboumossa, U18 2019 (32nd overall, RD 2)
Brenden Anderson, OHL 2019 (215th overall, RD 11)
Braedon Caetano, free agent
Gino Colangelo, free agent
Zane Dalpe, free agent
Alex Farmer, free agent
Jesse Fishman, OHL 2019 (79th overall, RD 4)
Cole Galata, free agent
Logan Gallagher, free agent
Jacob Gilbert, free agent
George Krotiris, free agent
Mitchell Lafay, free agent
Isaac Langdon, OHL 2018 (32nd overall, RD 2)
Darby Lemieux, free agent
Mason Mantzavrakos, free agent
Matt McCullough, OHL 2018 (243rd overall, RD 13)
Mark McIntosh, OHL 2019 (255th overall, RD 13)
Anthony Pinelli, U18 2018 (37th overall, RD 2)
Francesco Pinelli, OHL 2019 (13th overall, RD 1)
Matthew Sop, OHL 2019 (135th overall, RD 7)
Brayden Stannard, free agent
Reid Valade, OHL 2018 (17th overall, RD 1)
Kyle Van Compernolle, OHL 2018 (197th overall, RD 10)
Ryan Walker, OHL 2019 (275th overall, RD 14)
Kurt Watson, free agent

Last edited:

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
2 free agent names to watch this weekend are Zane Dalpe and Mason Mantzvrakos. Both had solid seasons in Jr. B after going undrafted. Dalpe has already went to Windsor’s camp last weekend. Mantzvrakos was also in Sarnia for their camp

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
2 free agent names to watch this weekend are Zane Dalpe and Mason Mantzvrakos. Both had solid seasons in Jr. B after going undrafted. Dalpe has already went to Windsor’s camp last weekend. Mantzvrakos was also in Sarnia for their camp
That was a thought of mine of a later camp to be able to scout other rookie camps and maybe poach any free agents. See Yantsis

K2

Jun 11, 2015
Disappointed not seeing Justin Wu here this weekend and had some hope for McDonnell. Not surprised not seeing Schmidt but Simon Motew is (4th)

The Pinelli bros, Jesse Fishman, Simon Motew ... another chance for 6'6" Kyle Van Compernolle. Could be good.

Just a few 2018-19 roster guys & lots of free agents! Hopefully some gems to discover ... Kent Cummings is a big local kid.

Curious to see Brayden Stannard. Big Michigan skater w/NCAA commit - Stannard commits to playing hockey at Nebraska Omaha | News, Sports, Jobs - Daily Press

Last edited:
Reactions: Rangers True Blue

K2

Jun 11, 2015
he didn’t end up playing the whole season for whatever reason. played a game in the U17 tournameny

Played in the Tier 1 Elite Hockey League with the Cleveland Barons U16 last season. Definitely was on the Team USA U17 radar (bottom three of six goalies?) and attended camp, played in 2 tourneys last year but wasn’t on the regular roster. Highlights: first star in a 5-0 shutout (faced 7 shots) win over Slovakia & won 6-2 over Switz (2.00 GAA, 0.846 SV%) at 5-Nations last August. Played a Tournament game (5.45 GAA, 0.792 SV%) and part of a pre-round game at World U17 in November.
No commitment for coming season(s) it would appear but drafted here (rd15) & Youngstown (USHL, rd 9) in 2018. Hope he’s great!

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

K2

Jun 11, 2015
Nice to see Josh Brown's mention that Connor Hall is at camp as 'part of the coaching contingent'.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
players I'm most curious about for this weekend are:

Motew (Josh Brown had a positive tweet about him)
Fishman (anyone think he can stick? maybe play with the Siskins?)
Martin (see Fishman)
Dalpe (was ranked in the 3-6 rounds last year)
Stannard (NCAA commit)
Van Compernolle (how far has he come from his strong camps last year?)

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
players I'm most curious about for this weekend are:

Motew (Josh Brown had a positive tweet about him)
Fishman (anyone think he can stick? maybe play with the Siskins?)
Martin (see Fishman)
Dalpe (was ranked in the 3-6 rounds last year)
Stannard (NCAA commit)
Van Compernolle (how far has he come from his strong camps last year?)

Van Compernolle had a strong 2018-2019 season....ranked 7th in the Tier One U16 league
upload_2019-4-19_17-57-9.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-4-19_17-52-58.png
    upload_2019-4-19_17-52-58.png
    20.4 KB · Views: 5
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad