Kitchener Rangers 2019 Offseason Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
looking at the overagers thread, it does not seem like it’s going to be easy to find a suitor for Luke Richardson. a lot of teams have 5 or 6 guys and the one that don’t already have a starting goalie (assuming they’re not gonna take Richardson and use an OA card on a backup).

maybe he goes CIS a year early like Culina did before coming to the Rangers?

When the time comes, I'm thinking we'll be releasing Richardson. Likely he goes CIS as did Culina. Nobody is going to use an OA spot on a goalie who's unproven as a #1.

Too bad. I'd hoped he'd get it together last year.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
This has to be fixed at some point. These OHL players give so much for their careers, they should have more time afterwards to figure out their lives and explore their options.

This, instead of the minimum wage issue, is what should have been the primary focus of the proposed CHL players union.

At the end of the day, losing the "earned" education package at all, let alone after 18 months, is the biggest contradiction of all regarding what the players get from playing in the CHL.

K2

Jun 11, 2015
It appears the team he's signed with is not in the Extraliga but in Czech2 (probably the a similar situation to the SHL and Allsvenken's relationship in Sweden).

Thanks Torgo. Piráti Chomutov was Extraliga last season but got demoted for 2019-20 as a bottom-2 (Extraliga) relegation 'playoff' loser. DL probably still looking at a major raise over ECHL, especially as an import, but not big bucks (~$40-50k)

At the end of the day, losing the "earned" education package at all, let alone after 18 months, is the biggest contradiction of all regarding what the players get from playing in the CHL.

100% & this sort of greedy crap will not serve the owners/CHL well before the courts.

Last edited:

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
This, instead of the minimum wage issue, is what should have been the primary focus of the proposed CHL players union.

you are not wrong, but we all know the union wasnt about the kids, it was about gumbley and his vandetta against hockey canada. the only reason there's a lawsuit now is because theres a lawyer who sees a chance to get paid.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
upload_2019-7-23_14-58-46.png

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Hi Rangers fans!
Wondering what you would think of a deal with the OS Attack.

To Attack; G/99 Richardson
To Rangers; ???

What would you think the return would possibly be?

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Hi Rangers fans!

To Rangers; ???

probably not much. Owen Sound kind of has leverage as one of the 4 or 5 teams with an available OA card. probably a couple picks.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Hi Rangers fans!

To Rangers; ???

Rather, my question would be: Why would OS want OA Richardson when they have two proven OHLers in Guzda and MacLean in goal? Both are younger and I'd have at least Guzda if not both ahead of Richardson in upside.

Reactions: rangersblues

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Come on now EvenSteven, you watched the Rangers win 6 of 8 games vs OS just last season alone.
The difference in goal totals were 42-24 in favor of Kitchener. IMO, MacLean is not a proven OHL goaltender by any means. 01/Guzda may need an older guy to work with, teaching him how to handle the pressures of becoming that "go to guy".

K2

Jun 11, 2015
Hi Rangers fans!

To Rangers; ???

Richardson, Rupoli and Isaac Langdon for Adam McMaster ;)

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Rather, my question would be: Why would OS want OA Richardson when they have two proven OHLers in Guzda and MacLean in goal? Both are younger and I'd have at least Guzda if not both ahead of Richardson in upside.
Come on now EvenSteven, you watched the Rangers win 6 of 8 games vs OS just last season alone.
The difference in goal totals were 42-24 in favor of Kitchener. IMO, MacLean is not a proven OHL goaltender by any means. 01/Guzda may need an older guy to work with, teaching him how to handle the pressures of becoming that "go to guy".
2 goalies played for Owen Sound last season. their combined games appeared in was 81. That's 13 games where one was pulled. I think Guzda was rushed in to the starting role. his NHL Central Scouting ranking dropped 10 throughout the season which is significant for goalies. Guzda should've had MacLean's role and there should've been a proven starter. Guzda could use a lighter work load to rebuild his reputation. Him and Richardson could probably split it in the 34/34 range

Reactions: K2

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
if Richardson is to get traded, it will probably be to either Sault Ste. Marie or Flint.

Sault had Villalta (99) and Ethan Taylor (01). Taylor played 22 games and Villalta will be moving on.
Flint had Vella (98) and Luke Cavallin (01). Vella was an OA and Cavallin played 36 games and had an .864 sv%.

Flint doesn't have any notable prospects besides Evan Morrison (01) who played 3 games this season. But I don't think Flint wants to be a non-playoff team again and Luke Cavallin shouldn't be the starting goalie if they want to be in the playoffs.

Sault drafted an 02 goalie in the import draft. he is ranked #59 by Future Considerations for the 2020 NHL Draft. If he comes, him and Ethan Taylor probably split 40/28 or something like that. If not, that could be Richy's spot

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
if Richardson is to get traded, it will probably be to either Sault Ste. Marie or Flint.

Sault had Villalta (99) and Ethan Taylor (01). Taylor played 22 games and Villalta will be moving on.
Flint had Vella (98) and Luke Cavallin (01). Vella was an OA and Cavallin played 36 games and had an .864 sv%.

Flint doesn't have any notable prospects besides Evan Morrison (01) who played 3 games this season. But I don't think Flint wants to be a non-playoff team again and Luke Cavallin shouldn't be the starting goalie if they want to be in the playoffs.

Sault drafted an 02 goalie in the import draft. he is ranked #59 by Future Considerations for the 2020 NHL Draft. If he comes, him and Ethan Taylor probably split 40/28 or something like that. If not, that could be Richy's spot
I suspect if Richardson ends up playing in the O next season it will be via waivers or a very low draft pick.

Last edited:
Reactions: K2 and rangersblues

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Richardson, Rupoli and Isaac Langdon for Adam McMaster ;)

No thanks. Sure he's a vet. But McMaster put up 51 points last year. With the extra ice Langdon will get this year, he could put up around 50 himself.

I suppose McMaster could break through, and is a very good OA possibility the following year (and the Rangers aren't flush with 2000 born players who'll be OA candidates), but I'm not trading the future and I think Langdon is a big piece going forward.

Reactions: K2 and rangersblues

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
No thanks. Sure he's a vet. But McMaster put up 51 points last year. With the extra ice Langdon will get this year, he could put up around 50 himself.

I suppose McMaster could break through, and is a very good OA possibility the following year (and the Rangers aren't flush with 2000 born players who'll be OA candidates), but I'm not trading the future and I think Langdon is a big piece going forward.
agreed 100%

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016

I hope you’re right about Langdon, but this got me thinking..

Would anyone take a stab at predicting stat lines for players next year? I don’t even know where to start for predicting player trajectories from season to season.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I hope you’re right about Langdon, but this got me thinking..

Would anyone take a stab at predicting stat lines for players next year? I don’t even know where to start for predicting player trajectories from season to season.

they're very hard to predict and you are more so taking a shot in the dark for most players as they are still in major development years of their lives.

the hardest to predict are the 02s. for a lot of guys, their biggest jump in production is in their 2nd year (ie. Connor McMichael will never increase his scoring by 450% again in the OHL). however, some guys break out in their 3rd or 4th years (see the Kitchener Rangers top 5 scorers).

the 03s are obviously near impossible as well. new city, league, school, teammates, billets etc. we don't know how it will effect one player compared to another.

back to the first point, any of the 01s or 00s could break out but we aren't counting on it, same as last year with the big 5. these guys (Petizian, Stepien, MacPherson, etc.) also will not be getting the opportunities that Yantsis, Meireles, Hugg, Damiani, Garreffa got last season.

that leaves us with those 5, or your core guys. you expect these guys to perform at par or better with how they did last season. that doesn't mean you put pressure on Jonny Yantsis to have 50+ goals. not realistic. but you hope for him to be able to stay in the 60-70 point range at least

this doesn't even account for the Serpa's and McDonnell's whose rookie seasons aren't their first year of eligibility. now that's a shot in the dark

Reactions: EvenSteven

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Watched Team Canada Under 17 RED (Pinelli) vs GOLD....first two periods only.....and will definitely check the outcome in the morning. It was 3-3 at the end of the 2nd. Pinelli scored from Lockhart in the 1st and then a breakaway beauty in the 2nd. He's the real deal. Impressive 2-way play and great communication on the ice.

K2

Jun 11, 2015
I'm not trading the future and I think Langdon is a big piece going forward.

I hope that Langdon is a future star here too, hence my ;)

Realistically though, if we're really going for making a run with our stud OAs, new goalie and compelling imports ... MM probably makes a move for a 19yo or two and either a top young prospect or all our 2nd round picks for a few years is the trade currency we have for a difference maker. I'd rather move Gordon than Langdon in my 'bundle' but don't imagine OS covets him and (since I'm nice) also think OS could be a good opportunity for Richie, Langdon & possibly Rupoli too. Not sold on McMaster as a stud 2000 that really breaks out this year but he's close (...on OS) to a piece we'd need to run this year and I don't really want to send a Valade or Pinelli &/or all our high picks the other way for a proven 2000 (?) shooter like Hayton or Jenkins.

Whatever happens, it could be a very interesting year on the trade front.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
With all due respect K2, McMaster has lost most, if not all of his value post-draft and really isn't a highly coveted piece. Meanwhile, I think you're severely under-rating Langdon. He had a frustrating, injury-filled year but I assure you he is staying. He was ranked in the 8-12 range for his draft and only fell to second due to NCAA commitments, which he waived exclusively for Kitchener. It was the only OHL city he'd play in. I expect he'll be a huge part of this team in his 18 and 19 year old seasons.

Not much chance Kit makes that deal.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
With all due respect K2, McMaster has lost most, if not all of his value post-draft and really isn't a highly coveted piece. Meanwhile, I think you're severely under-rating Langdon. He had a frustrating, injury-filled year but I assure you he is staying. He was ranked in the 8-12 range for his draft and only fell to second due to NCAA commitments, which he waived exclusively for Kitchener. It was the only OHL city he'd play in. I expect he'll be a huge part of this team in his 18 and 19 year old seasons.

Not much chance Kit makes that deal.

I think this is often forgotten. real chance to have one of the deadliest 02 groups. Valade has the makings to be a terrific scorer with his speed, skill, work ethic on the ice. Langdon only wanted to come here and was widely considered the best two-way centre in the draft at the time. Sebrango was an absolute steal at 40. I know he was committed to BU but he really seemed to fly under the radar when everyone was talking about draft rankings. McDonnell looked as if it was for sure he’d be going NCAA. he was the top 02 scorer in the OJHL which is IMO the closest 2nd to the OHL in Ontario.

If only there were room for Van Compernolle and Purcell. judging by the fact that they have both just recently committed to NCAA schools, they had interest in being here (they were at dev camps and a training camp as well) but they must’ve mutually come to the fact that there’s just not much ice time to go around

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I hope that Langdon is a future star here too, hence my ;)

Realistically though, if we're really going for making a run with our stud OAs, new goalie and compelling imports ... MM probably makes a move for a 19yo or two and either a top young prospect or all our 2nd round picks for a few years is the trade currency we have for a difference maker. I'd rather move Gordon than Langdon in my 'bundle' but don't imagine OS covets him and (since I'm nice) also think OS could be a good opportunity for Richie, Langdon & possibly Rupoli too. Not sold on McMaster as a stud 2000 that really breaks out this year but he's close (...on OS) to a piece we'd need to run this year and I don't really want to send a Valade or Pinelli &/or all our high picks the other way for a proven 2000 (?) shooter like Hayton or Jenkins.

Whatever happens, it could be a very interesting year on the trade front.

Going all in this year means a down year next year. Not basement dwellers, but an off year just the same.

That means assets dealt (those 2nds you speak of) can be reacquired by moving Vukojovic in his graduating year. By then he'll be a high end blue chipper on the market and bring a very good return.

Depending the quantity/quality of assets we move up to the next deadline, moving Vukojovic will go along way in restocking the cupboard.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
I think this is often forgotten. real chance to have one of the deadliest 02 groups. Valade has the makings to be a terrific scorer with his speed, skill, work ethic on the ice. Langdon only wanted to come here and was widely considered the best two-way centre in the draft at the time. Sebrango was an absolute steal at 40. I know he was committed to BU but he really seemed to fly under the radar when everyone was talking about draft rankings. McDonnell looked as if it was for sure he’d be going NCAA. he was the top 02 scorer in the OJHL which is IMO the closest 2nd to the OHL in Ontario.

If only there were room for Van Compernolle and Purcell. judging by the fact that they have both just recently committed to NCAA schools, they had interest in being here (they were at dev camps and a training camp as well) but they must’ve mutually come to the fact that there’s just not much ice time to go around
And Pinelli.........watch him today at 6:15pm on Team Red. In a class of his own. I'll be surprised if he doesn't move up in the lines quickly.
https://hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/natio...orld-u17/2019/development-camp/stats/schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad