Kitchener Rangers 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
All very premature of course BUT a Kitchener vs London playoff series appears like it could be a real barn burner! Again lots of things can happen before that occurs but it’s been awhile and would be great for both organizations! Good Luck.....

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Rather have Petizian do that, not sure if Jackeye has the self control to turnaway if and when he draws a penalty. Plus a smaller guy may
make the other player more comfortable in going after him than AX.

I agree. Not only for that reason, but I’d rather see Xhekaj be the 7th guy who subs in here and there but is ready to go if there’s a post season injury. Keep him focused on D.

Playing him up front then bringing him back might affect his game as a D if he’s needed there full time in the post season.

If we see Motew in the post season, our D will have been hit by injuries.

Reactions: Ward Cornell

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
We'll compete just fine with the roster we have. We beat the Sags last week but I don't think that was our best game yet. I think MM has given us our best chance in over a decade - better than two years ago. I don't think anyone expected that two months ago.

We can win the west or we can go out in round two. Not a lot of separation between us, Saginaw and London.

There has to be a major push to win the conference. 1st seed would make our lives a lot easier. Avoiding those other two teams is a must imo.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Love the fact that the Rangers kept all the young guys and only gave up Stepien. MM did a great job with the available assets. He really turned the team around and has shown the fans the talent was there and just had to be brought out. He also brought back some hitting and a little feistiness to the group. Nice to see that especially in our barn. Good job. Looks good for the future.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
He also brought back some hitting and a little feistiness to the group. Nice to see that especially in our barn.

Precisely in today’s game everyone thinks this is no longer important. Look no further then the Leafs vs the Bruins recently in the playoffs? Not goons just a little “sandpaper” it’s still a need!

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
the Knights are lining up tonight with:

Gruden-McMichael-Foudy
Dunkley-Willms-Evangelista
Stranges-Guskov-Moskal
Rolofs-Panwar-McGurn

I think Kitchener has a very good shot at beating this group. their goalies are shaky too. excited for their next match up

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
another good game. you can see that Noel is a beast but is still adjusting. 6'6 and can absolutely. Barrie only dressed 10 forwards and 5 defence tonight. I assume it will be a similar lineup tomorrow. they were outshot by the Knights 52-16. I'm guessing Pfeil gets the start and Ingham goes Sunday against Windsor.

also, the post game calls need to come after the player/coach availabilities. it's the same guys every week and most of the time they're so piss drunk after the game that they can hardly string a sentence together. there's a few good ones however

Reactions: Tim Wallach

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
also, the post game calls need to come after the player/coach availabilities. it's the same guys every week and most of the time they're so piss drunk after the game that they can hardly string a sentence together. there's a few good ones however

The only change McKenzie made that I don't like. They need to go back to having the interviews before the call ins.

Reactions: EvenSteven

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Simon Motew is going to make it hard for the coaching staff to scratch him if he keeps this up

Another night with the scoring spread out throughout the lineup and another missed opportunity to reward a deserving kid. Motew with two helpers, his first multi point game of his career, should have gotten a star.

He’s having a good year. I think he can be in the neighbourhood of Sebrango calibre by the end of next year. He won’t see a ton of ice this year, but he’ll get his share next year in a rebuilding year.

However, as well as he’s playing, once everyone is available, it won’t be hard at all to scratch him. He’s 8th on the depth chart and that’s fine. On a contender, it’s expected that 16 year old d-men see limited ice, especially in the post season.

But I look for big things from him next year.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
IMO, probably one of the best trades for value over the last few days is the Tomasino deal. Huge get for Oshawa and at a bargain to boot! Before you look at me sideways, hear me out.

Two years ago, we sent three second round picks to Guelph for four months of Giovani Smith. He was a high-end but not an elite player. So:

The Tomasino deal can be broken down like this: If I told you that we could get Tomasino, an elite player, one of the top scorers in the league, for four months, for three 2nds, would you do that trade? Of course you would. Now, if I also told you we could get Tomasino for a full season for three more 2nds, a 3rd, and two 4ths, and the rights to a player, in a year you’re bidding for the Memorial Cup, would you do that trade as well? Of course you would.

As far as I’m concerned, they got his services at a bargain, and didn’t have to give up quality youth to boot!!! (Saginaw had to give up two good young players in the Suzuki deal)

Niagara did well moving him when they did to get the return they got for him. They likely don’t get that return if they wait until the off-season. So both sides come out on top in this deal.

It’s deals like this that you can get done when you have a landslide of high picks in the bank. Remember, Oshawa went into this trade deadline week with 10 second round picks available to be traded, and 12 after the Noel trade.

That’s what you accomplish when you sell hard in years that you are not contending.

Reactions: barrel129

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Now that the trade deadline is past, I think we’ll see some separation develop in the west standings.

I see Kitchener, London, and Saginaw as the top contenders in the west. After that, I see Guelph, Windsor, and Flint.

Both of those clusters of teams are in no particular order. Both clusters will be very tight.

No disrespect, but I don’t believe the rest matter in the grand scheme of things.

Therefore, as I said earlier, it’s imperative that we win the conference. Getting the number one seed guarantees us the first two rounds without having to play one of London or Saginaw. The first round should be a gimme for the first seed. The second round, would be whoever is remaining from the second cluster of teams. That team wouldn’t be pushovers, but any of the three would be more desirable an opponent then London or Saginaw.

If we can go into the third round with the advantage of playing a team who had just gone through a much tougher second round, it would go far in helping us get to the final.

If we don’t win the conference, we would have much tougher road to the final. If we were to finish third in the conference, our opponents would be tough starting from the very first round of the playoffs.

Every game matters. Every point matters.

Dates to circle:
Feb 14 at London
Feb 15 at Saginaw
Mar 3 vs London

All four point games. I start Ingham back to back in the first two.

Win all four!!! No loser points please!!!

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Post trade deadline, we have one 2nd and six 3rds.

Not ideal but can be fixed up somewhat with the sale of Vukojovic in the off season. IMO, we get two 2nds and two 3rds for him at the very worst. After Harley, he should be the next best 01 D in demand. Therefore, I’d shoot to get Lalonde return for him (three 2nds, 5th, Bianconi).

Assuming we get Lalonde return for Vukojovic, going into 21-22, with picks in 2025 available to be traded, it would put us at six 2nds and four 3rds. That’s not including other deals that may be made. (OA’s MacPherson and Wale could be moved).

We didn’t move any of our 3rds in the upcoming draft so unless something is done in the week before the draft, we use all three since we have no 2nd. Next year being a rebuilding year, we could have four pretty good 16 year olds in the lineup (I think we can use four? Kingston is using four).

Going into 21-22, all likely in their draft year, we could look pretty good before we need to make additions.

Last edited:

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener

I stopped listening. Forgot what it was like to listen to music on the way home. Maybe they will get the message.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
IMO, probably one of the best trades for value over the last few days is the Tomasino deal. Huge get for Oshawa and at a bargain to boot! Before you look at me sideways, hear me out.

Two years ago, we sent three second round picks to Guelph for four months of Giovani Smith. He was a high-end but not an elite player. So:

The Tomasino deal can be broken down like this: If I told you that we could get Tomasino, an elite player, one of the top scorers in the league, for four months, for three 2nds, would you do that trade? Of course you would. Now, if I also told you we could get Tomasino for a full season for three more 2nds, a 3rd, and two 4ths, and the rights to a player, in a year you’re bidding for the Memorial Cup, would you do that trade as well? Of course you would.

As far as I’m concerned, they got his services at a bargain, and didn’t have to give up quality youth to boot!!! (Saginaw had to give up two good young players in the Suzuki deal)

Niagara did well moving him when they did to get the return they got for him. They likely don’t get that return if they wait until the off-season. So both sides come out on top in this deal.

It’s deals like this that you can get done when you have a landslide of high picks in the bank. Remember, Oshawa went into this trade deadline week with 10 second round picks available to be traded, and 12 after the Noel trade.

That’s what you accomplish when you sell hard in years that you are not contending.

That's an interesting break down of the Tomasino trade. But in a year that you aren't going for it (I don't believe Oshawa is, but they're dangerous) would you trade 3 seconds for any player. A bigger problem might be that there aren't any asterisks beside any of these draft picks. What happens if Tomasino makes Nashville next season? Can you say Sarnia and Konecny?

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Bit of a sloppy game last night. No hitting per se but perhaps that was designed against a team that they should beat without it. All in all though, I sure wouldn't call it "dominating" in any sense of the word. Oh, there were flashes of greatness but there were also some stinkers along the way.

Some glaring mistakes by the D. The addition of Wale should help settle things down back there. And I never thought I'd say this but I missed Xhekaj out there. He adds that grit and keeps players looking over their shoulders. Yes to Motew. I have liked him from the start and he never fails to impress when he's out there. He's only going to get better with age.

They should definitely beat Barrie tonight and hopefully will focus on that game and not look ahead to Guelph (who had quite the outing with Ottawa last night. It was 7-6 Ottawa at one point until they pulled away in the 3rd. Lots of goals...you have to wonder about D and goalies.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Bit of a sloppy game last night. No hitting per se but perhaps that was designed against a team that they should beat without it. All in all though, I sure wouldn't call it "dominating" in any sense of the word. Oh, there were flashes of greatness but there were also some stinkers along the way.

Some glaring mistakes by the D. The addition of Wale should help settle things down back there. And I never thought I'd say this but I missed Xhekaj out there. He adds that grit and keeps players looking over their shoulders. Yes to Motew. I have liked him from the start and he never fails to impress when he's out there. He's only going to get better with age.

They should definitely beat Barrie tonight and hopefully will focus on that game and not look ahead to Guelph (who had quite the outing with Ottawa last night. It was 7-6 Ottawa at one point until they pulled away in the 3rd. Lots of goals...you have to wonder about D and goalies.
I'm hoping our D is a work in progress. It still needs lots of improvement in our end. I noticed MacPherson twice in the first period last night. I'll be kind and just say it wasn't on either of his assists.

I love Xhekaj. I'm hoping he's not pushed down the depth chart and given the chance to play a more prominent role. He's developed at a higher rate than any of our other defencemen this season imo. I like Motew too, just don't see him playing much this season.

Last edited:

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
I do have to agree with other posters about putting callers on the air right after the game, before the coach's and players comment.

It's the same callers saying the same thing every time. Tell the same old regulars to call back later and give new callers a crack at things. They just want to hear themselves talk and they don't add any insight at all. I change stations when I hear the regulars because I already know what they're going to say and it's boring.

Why not scrap the calls and just have Mike and Chris talk about the game, maybe bring Josh Brown in on the conversation or someone else. I'd rather hear from more players, the assistant coaches, former players, a scout, or some other people who can bring more than the same boring callers week after week.

The Farwell and Pope Podcast is really interesting. I'd suggest playing parts of it or doing something similar to that as a post game show.

Farwell and Pope are great, the regular callers are not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad