Kitchener Rangers 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
The return for Hoffman included former Ranger Mikkel Boedker...still sour about how Phoenix handled his development. Another year in Kitchener would have gone a long way for his development, especially given the shape the Coyotes were in that season (and for many to come).

It was astounding they kept him. He was very good, but nowhere near NHL ready. He had a lot to work on still in junior. I felt the same about Boyd Devereaux years back. Sometimes NHL teams are their own worst enemies.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
It was astounding they kept him. He was very good, but nowhere near NHL ready. He had a lot to work on still in junior. I felt the same about Boyd Devereaux years back. Sometimes NHL teams are their own worst enemies.

The Coyotes prospect pool at that time was easily one of the 5 best in the whole league. Turris, Meueller, Boedker, Hanzal, Yandle, Tikhonov, Stone.

They should have left them alone to develop. Some guys where ready, but its clear in the stats and the career trajectory who wasn't.

What could have been. He loved it in Kitchener. One of the nicest guys.

Dux917

Feb 22, 2018
Looks like 3rd round pick Declan McDonnell is going the NCAA route, just committed to Providence College.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
That's too bad about McDonnell, though as we all know, most of these kids have those options and commit to an NCAA school should they go that route. But it always comes with a disclaimer that they could opt for the OHL at any juncture.

The issue here is that Kitchener has a load of returning forwards and two 16 year old draftees signed ahead of him at forward. So opportunities and ice time might be limited this season. He has to leverage his options. Landscape could be vastly different this time next year.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
I know we're all biased here, but I actually think Vallati is a steal in the 5th round too. I know he has limited offensive upside, but any kid with decent size like that who can skate like that has instant upside and the way he stepped up as a 17 year old in the playoffs against some of the best 19 year old junior forwards in the country is a massive plus in his corner.

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
I know we're all biased here, but I actually think Vallati is a steal in the 5th round too. I know he has limited offensive upside, but any kid with decent size like that who can skate like that has instant upside and the way he stepped up as a 17 year old in the playoffs against some of the best 19 year old junior forwards in the country is a massive plus in his corner.
I think you are right. No blue and red homer glasses here . I think his skating ability helps him go to the next step developing this year. And he should see considerably more ice time.

Also congrats to Damiani (liked the story of Dad having to go to the washroom as Rileys name is called) and Mascherin both going to the Stars. Development camps for Winnipeg and Dallas are this week for prospects.

Reactions: Tim Wallach
Mar 12, 2009
Adam Liska not returning next season. Best of luck to him! A little disapointing, thought he could potentially have a bit of a breakout season with a much larger role next season due to so many graduating players. Hopefully MM has something in the works for the Import Draft.

RangerNation

Jul 24, 2015
London
Best of luck to Adam. Kid has great heart and determination. Wonder if this is MM making the decision or Adam wanting to move back home.

I have no doubt that MM will get a quality player in the draft.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
I’m willing to bet it’s that McKenzie has something lined up to upgrade.
Tho I probably would have preferred to lose Hugg to Liska..
Liska could really grow over the next two seasons with some ice time

Reactions: BenchedGuy

K2

Jun 11, 2015
Thanks & best wishes to Adam. After the NHL draft, I suspect he simply knows that his best opportunity to continue as a pro will be playing in Europe. Hopefully MM can still find a worthy and willing gem with our 51st pick.
ada.jpg

RangerNation

Jul 24, 2015
London
Contract Issue apparently

From Browns Blog Rangers Report

As it turns out, the Kitchener Rangers will be making a selection in Thursday's CHL draft after it was announced that Slovak F Adam Liska will not be returning for a second season with the club.
Liska had 12 goals and 19 assists in 62 games and showed a lot of promise. His minutes did wane down the stretch but that was due to the veteran heavy Rangers lineup and wasn't a reflection of his play.
Kitchener expected Liska to return and wanted him back. But his agent told the team this week that there may be some complications with his status for the upcoming season.
His Slovak club, HC Slovan Bratislava, also wants him to play and the Rangers were warned that there was a chance he might not be available to them.

With that in mind, and the CHL import draft quickly approaching, the club decided to make sure it didn't get burned later in the year and clear an import space. Liska says he'll be earmarked for the KHL next season.
The Rangers own the 51st pick in Thursday's draft. Import goalies are back in this year after a brief ban.

The news caught the team off-guard but McKenzie has been working his contacts and says his club will be ready for the draft.

Last edited:

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
Too bad about Liska. I thought he did well his first year and was expecting a bigger role for him this year.
Good Luck Adam! Once a Ranger Always a Ranger.

With not much time before the draft I hope MM has a contingency plan. As we all know its not about the draft itself but more about who you make a deal with before the draft. I would imagine it would be another forward unless we dipped into the goalie market now that its re-opened.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Adam Liska will be missed. I was looking forward to what he could do with a bigger role, as I thought he was an industrious player with some skill.

As EvenSteven mentioned during the season, it's not ideal to have both imports sharing the same birth year, so at least this will likely change that up.

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
Adam Liska will be missed. I was looking forward to what he could do with a bigger role, as I thought he was an industrious player with some skill.

As EvenSteven mentioned during the season, it's not ideal to have both imports sharing the same birth year, so at least this will likely change that up.
If I am not mistaken, although Liska and Hugg were the same draft, I thought Hugg was a year older.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad