Kitchener Rangers 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Liking the flow of former Rangers that are joining the CIS Battle of Waterloo hockey.

If you have not gone to the Battle of Waterloo at the Aud that happens towards the end of the CIS season, I highly recommend it
!

Reactions: Finster8

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
Huge news!
As other mentioned for them, I was impressed with Sebrango at the gold cup. He was one of the best players on the ice when I was watching.
This sets us up nicely for this year and the next few on the back end with Vukojevic and now Sebrango.
Kudos to MM!

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
So are we saying next year a top 4 finish in the conference and maybe a play off round or two, or is that an over assessment? I'm looking forward to the year after that for sure!

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
So are we saying next year a top 4 finish in the conference and maybe a play off round or two, or is that an over assessment? I'm looking forward to the year after that for sure!

I think the west is pretty open next year.
Team should make the playoffs, more then that I’m not sure

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Super news!! Anyone who saw him play at the Gold Cup knows this is a big signing for the Rangers! :):):)

2018-19 defence corps:
Vukovech
York
Vallati
Gentles
Hall
Serbrango (R)

I suspect there will be maybe an OA pickup from another team or a past draft pick (Inamota would be another huge get)
I've never been big on Gentles or Hall really but the 4 kids could be crazy good in a year or two. Really love the play of Vallati and Vuk already. Any right shot vets we could potentially add before the season starts?

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario

I have Kitchener firmly mid-pack at this point. That D is very talented but young. There are a lot of returning forwards, but a severe lack of goal scoring ability. And the goaltending is a bit of a question mark. There are enough concerns to suggest this isn't a title contender. But they have enough going for them to be fairly certain it's a playoff team. If they can find some scoring, you never know.

Reactions: Ward Cornell

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I have Kitchener firmly mid-pack at this point. That D is very talented but young. There are a lot of returning forwards, but a severe lack of goal scoring ability. And the goaltending is a bit of a question mark. There are enough concerns to suggest this isn't a title contender. But they have enough going for them to be fairly certain it's a playoff team. If they can find some scoring, you never know.
I suspect the Rangers could be anywhere from a 5th to 7th. As you, I think the missing factor is goal scoring even though a new OA could help. I suspect Mascherin has played his last OHL game so has Bunnaman. MM probably has his fingers crossed that Liska and Hugg can make huge leaps offensively this coming season, not sure if either one is the answer but are solid 3rd liners. As for goalkeeping, I know what your saying (and your not saying to trade Richardson) but we need to run with Richardson to see what he can do. There usually is a huge leap in goalies into their 19th yr and even more so into the their OA yr.
We now have three 16 yr olds in our lineup...will there be a 4th? The remaining unsigned picks that has me intrigued is Declan McDonnell (3rd round) and 10th rounder Kyle Van Compernolle.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I haven't seen any real chatter about this but the Aud is hosting a Pre-Season tourney featuring some OHL teams and an team from the Q.
Preseason Showcase Schedule of Games:
Friday, August 31

Saginaw Spirit vs. North Bay Battalion – 2pm
Moncton Wildcats vs. Kitchener Rangers – 7pm
Saturday, September 1
Moncton Wildcats vs. North Bay Battalion – 2pm
Saginaw Spirit vs. Kitchener Rangers – 7pm
Sunday, September 2
Kitchener Rangers Fan Fest and Barbeque – 11am
Moncton Wildcats vs. Saginaw Spirit – 11am
North Bay Battalion vs. Kitchener Rangers – 2pm

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Ward, you are right. I'm not saying to dump Richardson. More just that until he proves otherwise, the goaltending is a bit of a question mark. I expect he'll at least be decent and you're right about the veteran leap.

And yes, if Vukojevic is 37th, that is a hell of a draft. It's beyond silly anyway. We all know there's not a chance in hell he lasts to #37.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
WOW , it looks like the 2019 NHL will be the greatest draft ever!
Why do I say that?...because they have Michael Vukojevich slotted to go 37st!
Yeah...not a typo! :):)

https://futureconsiderations.ca/top-rankings-2019/
That is an odd, odd list. Only two d-men up until pick 15 (that would be unprecedented historically, I'm pretty sure). Also, a goalie slotted to go mid-first round. That doesn't really happen anymore, so that's a pretty aggressive ranking.

No offence to futureconsiderations, but I suspect the more reputable ranking services will have Vuko higher up.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I'm really looking forward to Damiani in a larger role this coming year. Should be a career year points wise

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
So Kitchener native Mike Hoffman was traded from Ottawa to San Jose today then within a cpl hours was then sent from SJ to Florida.
Geesch he was longer with the Rangers before Deboer cut him years ago!

Mar 12, 2009
So Kitchener native Mike Hoffman was traded from Ottawa to San Jose today then within a cpl hours was then sent from SJ to Florida.
Geesch he was longer with the Rangers before Deboer cut him years ago!
The return for Hoffman included former Ranger Mikkel Boedker...still sour about how Phoenix handled his development. Another year in Kitchener would have gone a long way for his development, especially given the shape the Coyotes were in that season (and for many to come).

Reactions: Tim Wallach
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad