Kitchener Rangers 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
The good news is there are some good choices for the C and A's. A's can rotate.

My choices would be

C - Adam Mascherin
A - Connor Hall
A - Connor Bunnaman
A - Doug Blaisdell
A - Logan Stanley

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Personally I would just let Mascherin play without the extra responsibilty of wearing the "C".

I'm going with either Stanley or Hall for the C with a slight favourite being Stanley with the other getting one of the 'A's

Then..
Mascherin
Bunnaman
Garreffa

Mind you, I rather talk about an improvement in the Rangers special teams and seeing how the coaching staff can transform this team. I believe the Rangers have a top 3 or 4 team in the OHL in talent but will the on ice performance match their talent???...for me that's what I'm interested in for this season!

BogeyJ

Jan 5, 2016
Personally I would just let Mascherin play without the extra responsibilty of wearing the "C".

I'm going with either Stanley or Hall for the C with a slight favourite being Stanley with the other getting one of the 'A's

Then..
Mascherin
Bunnaman
Garreffa

Mind you, I rather talk about an improvement in the Rangers special teams and seeing how the coaching staff can transform this team. I believe the Rangers have a top 3 or 4 team in the OHL in talent but will the on ice performance match their talent???...for me that's what I'm interested in for this season!

I like the suggestion of not giving Mascherin the extra responsibility but one can argue it may be a little extra motivation too.

As for this year's team and how I see it shaking out.. I also hope that the talent translates into wins.. I feel last year JM was constantly using the "learning, lessons, learn from it, etc. Etc.....) it's no longer a learning time for the majority of the team and I am sure going to be listening post game in the car at what he says because it's time to compete not make excuses that were constantly young men who will be better next week Etc.

Melrose

May 8, 2014
Ward, I agree much more interested in how much improvement this team is going to show going forward. Was disappointed with some of the exhibition games performance but it is exhibitions and nerves play a role in some of the youngsters plus we only had to one game at the Aud. I am thinking that this team should be much more competitive this year and I can see some changes still happening down the road. The certainly have to plug the holes that open to allow quick goals at the start and end of a period a bad habit left over from last year.

RangerRed

Jan 23, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I kind of agree with just letting Mascherin focus on lighting the lamp.

Hall and Stanley are both local kids (Cambridge and Waterloo), I usually figure wearing the 'C' means more to guys who grew up wanting to.

BogeyJ

Jan 5, 2016
https://www.therecord.com/sports-st...unds-lead-charge-in-ohl-s-western-conference/

@BrownRecord

My preseason predictions:

Kitchener
SSM
Owen Sound
London
Saginaw
Flint
Guelph
Windsor
Sarnia
Erie

Albeit bias, I'm excited about this season and the returning roster in it's entirety. More and more we see the Rangers beginning to push for every roster spot with picks to upgrade if necessary. That's why I'm picking Kitchener this early to win the western conference and finally return to sepremicy.

BogeyJ

Jan 5, 2016
I kind of agree with just letting Mascherin focus on lighting the lamp.

Hall and Stanley are both local kids (Cambridge and Waterloo), I usually figure wearing the 'C' means more to guys who grew up wanting to.

As mentioned previously it's good to have multiple candidates. And can't disagree with the hometown pride.

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
Waterloo Region Record's Josh Brown did his annual Western Conference Preview.

https://www.therecord.com/sports-st...unds-lead-charge-in-ohl-s-western-conference/

In The Midwest Division as it stands now I predict a finish of

Owen Sound
London
Kitchener
Guelph
Erie

There are still moves to be made. Erie and Windsor have some key players to trade and it depends who gets players like Raddysh, Lodnia, Villardi, DiPietro etc.

I expect us to be close with London.

In the Western Conference I predict

Owen Sound
Soo
London
Kitchener
Flint
Sarnia
Guelph
Saginaw
Erie
Windsor

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Personally I think one issue the Rangers have is some of the forwards are small and get knocked off the puck easily in battles along the boards. I still think they need to add some size up front to really compete this year.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Personally I think one issue the Rangers have is some of the forwards are small and get knocked off the puck easily in battles along the boards. I still think they need to add some size up front to really compete this year.

Agreed, plus I think that health and goaltending is still a huge question mark.

Connor Hall is entering what should be his 4th season and has played less than 100 games in his OHL career due to injuries and suspensions. His last full season was when he played midget.

Doug Blaisdell is coming off significant injury. He did look good in those games last year though. Could surprise this year but again needs to stay healthy.

Logan Stanley- Had knee surgery. Will he be the same playing 25 mins a game, for 68 games? He looked fine in the Mem Cup but how will he do playing hard minutes night in and night out. I think he will be alright, but knee surgery is a wild card.

Goaltending is another thing. I think Richardson deserves a chance to showcase what he has. If that doesn't work out, it may be thin pickings on the goalie market. Some rangers fans have suggested (On Twitter) going after Raymakers but in no way is the Soo trading him to a team that could potentially be contending this year in the same conference. Evan Cormier maybe? (Edit to add; Missed that they picked up a decent goalie) Hope he can be the answer if richardson doesnt pan out.

And Forwards.

I somewhat like the forwards returning.

But its still small things that need to be fixed. Scoring goals isnt the problem. I've always been one of those people to not point out plus/minus but in this case.....Adam Mascherin had 100 points and was a minus 2. He has all the offensive talent in the world and is going to be a 30 goal guy at the next level. But you need a guy like him to be better at all ends of the ice. Even a bit better. He's the kind of guy that can get you back into a game, and then his lack of 1 on 1 coverage can take you right out in the same amount of time. I would watch rangers games often on the SSP on Rogers (relocated to Owen Sound) and he would frustrate me with just how disinterested he would look at times when the pucks not on his stick. Things like more attention to detail, less turn overs at the blue line, no more dumb no look passes, and just going hard for your 45 second shift. Play your man, create some pressure, and let the big cats like Masch, Gareffa and Bunns do their thing in the O-zone.

Size is the next thing as Bobber pointed out. Still a little soft. Seams like a lot of the guys people had hope would add size or grow a little over the summer just didnt happen.

All this being said though, the Rangers for the time being do deserve the benefit of doubt. I know the lack of development and what not over the passed few years has been nearly invisible, but this team looks okay for now. It also helps that there are only a few teams who are really going to make a run at it in the west unlike last year where there were 5 great ones.

Its a new year, new leadership group up and down and for the 1st time in a long time the rangers have arguably the best offensive forward in the OHL.

Happy Hockey Season Rangers fan, From a Rangers fan, turned Attack fan living in Owen Sound. Look forward to chatting all season and if any of you come up for games, let me know and we can get some dinner before hand! My treat.

Last edited:

RWML67

Aug 22, 2017
Your team looks built for a decent run. It will depend on how the season unfolds but I could eventually see the Rangers move a Grayson Ladd type for a high scorer. Sarnia may be a good trading partner with their need for D and owning an talented asset in Jordan Kyrou. No insight or anything but it's a good starting basis for talks between two teams.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Hoping Stanley is sent back for the home opener and to see Mash back playing. Record just says he is aiming for the home opener after seeing the doc yesterday.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Bunnaman has been returned by the Flyers

Hopefully he's able to be in the lineup tomorrow!

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
Curious How the Otown kids have looked so far in preseason?
Specifically...
Meireiles
Vallati
York

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Curious How the Otown kids have looked so far in preseason?
Specifically...
Meireiles
Vallati
York

Only took in the game at the Aud. Was impressed with all three at times. Merieles has to press a little harder on finishing but certainly has speed and works his tail off. Vallati looked good. One of out top D I think. York will be a good Dman. Has the blood line and I am certain his father taught him a few things along the way. He did well in a losing cause in the last game. McHugh always works hard and is a threat short handed. Both him and Merieles have to put up some numbers this year for sure.

Mowman

Jan 17, 2017
Unless they announce the captain by the early afternoon today, I assume they are waiting for Stanley to be sent back down and he will be given the C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->