Kitchener Rangers 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
I know MM probably already knows who he is picking but hypothetically..

With it being a day past to think about what spot would be good to utilize our import pick with, what are peoples thoughts of we drafted a goalie??
We tend not to develop goalies with our past regime. Dipping into the import market, we could find a decent goalie that wants North American exposure.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I know MM probably already knows who he is picking but hypothetically..

With it being a day past to think about what spot would be good to utilize our import pick with, what are peoples thoughts of we drafted a goalie??
We tend not to develop goalies with our past regime. Dipping into the import market, we could find a decent goalie that wants North American exposure.
Get the best player available who will come. Even if that players position is one of the Rangers strength (defence), it will just give MM an opportunity to build off that strength and trade to solidify a weakness.

Reactions: Gondrex

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
Get the best player available who will come. Even if that players position is one of the Rangers strength (defence), it will just give MM an opportunity to build off that strength and trade to solidify a weakness.
Most imports intending to come over already had deals in place. This all sounds last minute to get a deal with a player. Not that MM can't do it but taking BPA in the import draft isn't all that easy.
While I agree to always take BPA in a draft, the import draft is unique.

Reactions: EvenSteven

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Had this coming season been a year we would be contending, like last season, I would entertain filling that second import spot via trade. You could try to acquire an import who has already been in the league year from a team who wouldn't be a contender. Often, such players are a little cheaper than non-import players as they are harder to deal due to the fact each team is only allowed two imports and dealing them can only be done once they're in the league at least one year. Something like this would have to be worked out before the import draft. Otherwise, we'd have to make a selection to ensure the second import.

But we aren't slated to contend next season.

rexdale

Mar 3, 2018
I have sent the Florida Panthers the link to the site so they could get the full scouting report on Joey.

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
With our selection in the import draft we have taken Axel Andersson RD from Sweden. Here is a blurb from draftsite after he was selected in the 2018 NHL draft. Keep in mind these comments are for his long term NHL potential.

Draft HistoryDrafted in 2018 NHL Draft: 2nd Round, 57th Overall Pick by Boston
45.gif
Additional InformationLong term developmental defender who needs to add better habits, gamble less in his end, and play with more grit. Strong on the puck and able to hold it in his end without losing possession. Needs better awareness and presence in his end. Very skilled skater and puckhandler with flash and dash. A high patience player when under forechecking pressure. Long term developmental RHD who needs to continue to build his overall game.

--Bill Placzek
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: Ward Cornell
Mar 12, 2009
Axel Anderson, 2nd round pick of the Boston Bruins in 2018 is our import pick. A skilled right hand shot defenseman with decent size. Assuming he reports, I like this pick up. It seems a bit harder to acquire high quality D via trade than to pick up a solid forward, and depth on D as we've seen is always key. If he comes ad advertised, he sounds kind of like the offensive defenseman we've been lacking the last couple of years. Axel Andersson at eliteprospects.com

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
So Joey G may remains at forward!! ;)
With our selection in the import draft we have taken Axel Andersson RD from Sweden. Here is a blurb from draftsite after he was selected in the 2018 NHL draft. Keep in mind these comments are for his long term NHL potential.

Draft HistoryDrafted in 2018 NHL Draft: 2nd Round, 57th Overall Pick by Boston
45.gif
Additional InformationLong term developmental defender who needs to add better habits, gamble less in his end, and play with more grit. Strong on the puck and able to hold it in his end without losing possession. Needs better awareness and presence in his end. Very skilled skater and puckhandler with flash and dash. A high patience player when under forechecking pressure. Long term developmental RHD who needs to continue to build his overall game.

--Bill Placzek
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Axel Anderson, 2nd round pick of the Boston Bruins in 2018 is our import pick. A skilled right hand shot defenseman with decent size. Assuming he reports, I like this pick up. It seems a bit harder to acquire high quality D via trade than to pick up a solid forward, and depth on D as we've seen is always key. If he comes ad advertised, he sounds kind of like the offensive defenseman we've been lacking the last couple of years. Axel Andersson at eliteprospects.com

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Hall - Vukojevic
Vallati - Anderson
York - Sebrango

No room for Garreffa back there.

Deal for a couple quality OA forwards and we're off to the races.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Hall - Vukojevic
Vallati - Anderson
York - Sebrango

No room for Garreffa back there.

Deal for a couple quality OA forwards and we're off to the races.

Gentles is a solid D, maybe there’s a team with extra OA forward that might be interested in a swap

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Gentles is a solid D, maybe there’s a team with extra OA forward that might be interested in a swap

Or, we pick up a couple overage forwards, keep Gentles in the fold for now, and see where we're at by the OA deadline going from 4 Oa's down to 3.

If we are in the upper end of the conference, Gentles can probably be dealt somewhere. But if by then we are middle of the pack or lower, maybe Connor Hall could be dealt for massive return. Provided of course he is 100 percent healthy. I have no doubt if he is 100% healthy, he'll have an exceptional season. D-men like that would bring very good return on the trade market come deadline time.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
You're right Even, but the key is waiting until the deadline. Hall has to re-establish that he's healthy and reliable and OAs are always dealt for much less in summer. So if he's to be traded, it's in January. Gentles won't fetch much and he's a MM protege, so it may be a case of starting with all 7 of those D and seeing who steps up.

Reactions: flamebird

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
The success of MM to sign key players has to make you believe that he wouldn't waste a pick on Axel Andersson if he didn't feel strongly that he could get him on the ice here in Kitchener. Here's a report out of Boston development camp:

Bruins 2018 second round pick Axel Andersson also had a great camp. He wasn’t really a standout per say but if you watched him closely, there are lots of signs that one day, he will be successful in the NHL.

His style of play on defense follows in the footsteps of many of the new-age, mobile defenseman around the NHL. He says that he looks up to Charlie McAvoy, and it shows. When he skates with the puck, his head is always up. He’s poised and is a very smooth skater. He also moves the puck very well.

After the final skate of development camp, Andersson talked of how camp went for him.
“It was just a great experience to be here with all of the competitive guys so a lot of competitiveness and we left it all on the ice,” he said. “We’re getting better and better.”

AND another news source stated that Axel wasn't projected to be in the NHL until 2021.....SO......he needs more development and what better place than the OHL......and the Rangers.....where there's not only a Swedish coach and a Swedish player (comfort factor) but there are also two former NHL defensemen who coach the team.

Two defensemen.......Vuks and Sebrango.....have already dropped their U.S. commitments for the Rangers....so MM and team have shown that they can lure top talent to Kitchener. Bringing Andersson on board is definitely a possibility. Rangers defense already looks strong. Adding Andersson would only make it stronger and in time, one of the top D's in the OHL.

Reactions: IceCold

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Axel Andersson has signed his entry level deal with boston. what does this mean for kitchener? sounds like boston was really high on him as he was their first selection I believe. What does everyone think about his chances of being in the AHL for the coming season?

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Axel Andersson has signed his entry level deal with boston. what does this mean for kitchener? sounds like boston was really high on him as he was their first selection I believe. What does everyone think about his chances of being in the AHL for the coming season?
I am hoping as a long time Bruin fan we see Axel here in KW. Just not sure if the Bruins put as much stock in the OHL system as some other franchises might. They seem to draft a lot of Europeans and other players outside the CHL. Two cards the Ranger have are the assistant coaches. One played for the Bruins in the past and the other is from Sweden.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
What should be looked at is the depth chart of the Bruins at defense.

I don't expect Anderson to make the Bruins, but how deep are they at the AHL level? Is there room for an underaged rookie on that roster or would it make more sense to have a d-man who's CHL eligibility has expired play at the AHL level and have Anderson come to Kitchener?

I'm thinking Anderson would likely see more icetime in Kitchener than in the AHL. In Kitchener, I believe he will get every opportunity to be our number one power play quarterback. There will be competition for that spot from guys like Vukojevic and Vallati. But being a second round NHL draft pick, which means high end, no doubt he'd get one of the two spots on that PP.

Considering the offence that Kitchener lost to graduation after last year, I cannot see a situation where we will go with four forwards on the power play. That means those three guys would eat up the majority of power-play time on the blue line - with a sprinkling of Sebrango whenever possible.

I expect Vukojevic to get as many shut down minutes as he will power-play minutes. Maybe more. Obviously he and Hall would be our primary shut down guys. That would leave extra minutes for Anderson and Vallati in offensive situations.

I can see the Bruins sending him here for next season and monitoring his development. Then in the next off-season, it will be decision time again on this player as to whether he returns to the OHL or plays as a 19-year-old in the AHL.

Last edited:

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
What should be looked at is the depth chart of the Bruins at defense.

I don't expect Anderson to make the Bruins, but how deep are they at the AHL level? Is there room for an underaged rookie on that roster or would it make more sense to have a d-man who's CHL eligibility has expired play at the AHL level and have Anderson come to Kitchener?

I'm thinking Anderson would likely see more icetime in Kitchener than in the AHL. In Kitchener, I believe he will get every opportunity to be our number one power play quarterback. There will be competition for that spot from guys like Vukojevic and Vallati. But being a second round NHL draft pick, which means high end, no doubt he'd get one of the two spots on that PP.

Considering the offence that Kitchener lost to graduation after last year, I cannot see a situation where we will go with four forwards on the power play. That means those three guys would eat up the majority of power-play time on the blue line - with a sprinkling of Sebrango whenever possible.

I expect Vukojevic to get as many shut down minutes as he will power-play minutes. Maybe more. Obviously he and Hall would be our primary shut down guys. That would leave extra minutes for Anderson and Vallati in offensive situations.

I can see the Bruins sending him here for next season and monitoring his development. Then in the next off-season, it will be decision time again on this player as to whether he returns to the OHL or plays as a 19-year-old in the AHL.
Bruins picked up a Dman and a forward in free agency that fans say are minor league fill ins for Providence Bruins. Hopefully they want Axel to play in the OHL where it is easier to keep up on his development.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Bruins picked up a Dman and a forward in free agency that fans say are minor league fill ins for Providence Bruins. Hopefully they want Axel to play in the OHL where it is easier to keep up on his development.
There's only a cpl reasons why a NHL team would send an 18 year old dman to the AHL, one being not having any faith in his development current team and two, they have reason to believe that player could be useful to the NHL with a in season call up. I can't speak for his current team in Sweden but I believe with Wideman, McKee and Eriksson and the minutes he can get here would be an incentive to send him here. With AA signing his contract the Bruins may want him playing in here to monitor his development better.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
I'm not 100% familiar with the Bruins' system (Bobber, as a fan, maybe you can correct me if I make error(s) here). They just signed John Moore, which gives them 8 dmen at the NHL level. So we can assume one goes down to the AHL (or gets dealt or released, but let's just say this exercise is to determine if there is reasonable belief that Axel will come to the Rangers based on the B's system, for simplicity's sake). You'd have to think the following are locks for the B's, and handedness may be relevant so it's listed for bubble guys:

McAvoy
Krug
Chara
Carlo
McQuaid
Moore

That leaves Miller (R) and Grzelcyk (his nickname really should be 'Scrabble'). Let's send Scrabble down, just as a random choice

Providence then has the following dmen, and handedness may be relevant here so I'll list it:

Grzelcyk (L)
Zboril (L): Recent 1st rounder; going nowhere
Vaakanainen (L): Recent 1st; going nowhere
Sherman (L): 5th rounder in 2013, signed at end of season and played 2 games
Lauzon (L): Recent 2nd rounder; going nowhere
Johansson (L): 7th rounder in 2014 from Sweden, played one season with the P Bruins
Goloubef (R): Vet RHD; gotta think he's a lock, also newly signed
Breen (L): (L): 29-year-old non-prospect, but wears an "A"
Clifton (L): 5th rounder of Phoenix, has played one season with the Bs

Now, we can see a distinct lack of right-hand shots, and Axel Andersson (unfortunately for us, perhaps) shoots right. Unless I'm missing someone, or one or two of the above can play their off-side, it looks like there's a spot open for Axel if he plays well.

Perhaps a rough opening night d corps could look something like this (just based on a depth chart, since I don't know pairings):

Zboril - Goloubef
Vaakanainen - vet/someone playing off-side
Lauzon - Andersson

K2

Jun 11, 2015
Unless I'm missing someone, or one or two of the above can play their off-side, it looks like there's a spot open for Axel if he plays well.

The P-Bruins will surely also have NHL/AHL/ECHL/OHL experienced FA options on right D invited to eval camp(s) that they could easily add as well if desired. There was some defensive talent on the ECHL Gladiators last season and always a dearth of former OHL stars looking for contracts. Unless Axel absolutely kills it at the pro camps he attends, he’ll come here.

Last edited:

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
I don't see Axel in the AHL. I think its Sweden or Rangers just due to Bruins organizational depth. Depends where they think he will develop better. But that's just my 2 cents for what it's worth.

On a side note, looks like coach McKee got married on the weekend.
Congrats Coach!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad