Kitchener Rangers 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
One thing that surprised me was the skating of some of the Storm's big guys. They were able to either beat Rangers to the puck or catch them with it. I still think they will beat the Knights with their depth. Knights depth isn't as great. Rangers had more players in the top 50. I could be wrong but with their size and skill they should win at least the next round. Just the opinion of an old geezer.

Last edited:
Reactions: aresknights

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
For those interested, Eric Guest joined NSDA Hockey (on youtube) for a podcast to discuss “a side of hockey that is rarely discussed” and is going to be talking about his experiences in Kitchener. the podcast goes up Monday April 1st on NSDA Hockey’s youtube channel

Reactions: three dog night

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Brock Otten has a mock draft in the thread below. He has the Rangers taking Colby Saganuik of the Pittsburg Penguin under 16. Listed at center. 5'5" 150 pounds. Not sure if related to Rocky Saganuik. NCAA committ that would have to be convinced to report. Discuss☺

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Brock Otten has a mock draft in the thread below. He has the Rangers taking Colby Saganuik of the Pittsburg Penguin under 16. Listed at center. 5'5" 150 pounds. Not sure if related to Rocky Saganuik. NCAA committ that would have to be convinced to report. Discuss☺

not another small forward. is he commit somewhere? haven’t checked the article buy theres nothing on elite prospects

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
On the ticket/attendance issue, I think it's a mix of all those factors: weeknight games, severe underdog, high prices, etc.

One thing I don't think was discussed much is I heard that through the Board the decision was made to eliminate the pay-as-you-go option as they thought it would increase revenue as they're forcing season ticket holders to opt in for everything. I know in my section it had the reverse effect. I'm one of the only ones who opted in and the general consensus was no one was interested in committing to the full price. I hate money-grubbing decisions.

It's too bad, because I'm always of the mind that I will continue to support the team no matter what and would buy tickets regardless of night or opponent.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
One thing that surprised me was the skating of some of the Storm's big guys. They were able to either beat Rangers to the puck or catch them with it. I still think they will beat the Knights with their depth. Knights depth isn't a great. Rangers had more players in the top 50. I could be wrong but with their size and skill they should win at least the next round. Just the opinion of an old geezer.

I think that London can beat Guelph in six or seven games if Guelph continues to get the type of goaltending they have been getting in this series. Popovich has been an adventure in net. Sure he's making some saves, but he's leaving major rebounds on just about every shot on goal.

The only reason the Rangers aren't burying them is because the smaller Ranger forwards are not able to get to those pucks because Guelph's bigger more physical D are out muscling them.

Guys like Hanley, Gordeev, and Samarukov are saving the day for Popovich.

London's goalies are not the be-all and end-all either. But neither is Richardson. But even with Richardson, who has been really good, had our forwards been able to pounce on some of those rebounds, this would be a closer series.

London were without some of their top players for portions of the season. I haven't had a chance to look, but I wonder what the points per game is among the London players versus the Guelph players. Probably pretty close.

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
There should be no way that after blowing that offside call that Lance Roberts should be any part of game 4. He should be relieved of his duties, period.

I remember him crediting the Rangers for a goal when the puck clearly left the ice and went into the crowd. No one raised their sticks to celebrate a goal. The linesman got a new puck to replace the one that went in the crowd. Roberts called it a goal. He was suspended one game for that gaffe. In a playoff game, he should get more. A goal is only confirmed when the VGJ is certain it is a good goal. Roberts was not certain it was a goal, but said it was anyway.

The OHL Officiating Supervisors Division needs an enema. Get rid of the old **** and get some smart progressive thinkers in there. Stop coddling those who can't do the job and train people who can. Where is the protocol for a review? Anyone could see there was questioning on the ice. You had to know something was up. Why didn't the refs call video review? Why didn't Roberts call the refs?

Guelph still would have won the game but it would have been closer.

Reactions: K2

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
One thing that surprised me was the skating of some of the Storm's big guys. They were able to either beat Rangers to the puck or catch them with it. I still think they will beat the Knights with their depth. Knights depth isn't a great. Rangers had more players in the top 50. I could be wrong but with their size and skill they should win at least the next round. Just the opinion of an old geezer.

I think, in a nutshell, it is London vs. Guelph - Defense and goaltending vs Offense.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener

Under 6' and 200 lbs?...........pass.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
I think that London can beat Guelph in six or seven games if Guelph continues to get the type of goaltending they have been getting in this series. Popovich has been an adventure in net. Sure he's making some saves, but he's leaving major rebounds on just about every shot on goal.

The only reason the Rangers aren't burying them is because the smaller Ranger forwards are not able to get to those pucks because Guelph's bigger more physical D are out muscling them.

Guys like Hanley, Gordeev, and Samarukov are saving the day for Popovich.

London's goalies are not the be-all and end-all either. But neither is Richardson. But even with Richardson, who has been really good, had our forwards been able to pounce on some of those rebounds, this would be a closer series.

London were without some of their top players for portions of the season. I haven't had a chance to look, but I wonder what the points per game is among the London players versus the Guelph players. Probably pretty close.

Both teams have 6 PPG+ players, Guelph 7 if you count Gogolev's increase in production since coming to Guelph. Guelph has 12 NHL drafted players vs. 9 on London. I think it will be an exciting series but I still see Guelph coming out on top. Suzuki and Ratcliffe are both from London and play well in that barn. We are just now seeing the full benefit of the trades Guelph did make at the deadline as players are healthy. Will inconsistent goaltending win them a championship? Questionable, but I do believe being stacked on Forward and D (in your mentioning of D you left out Phillips, WJC calibre), will get them far.

I'm headed to Kitchener tomorrow night.

Reactions: RoyalCitySlicker

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Both teams have 6 PPG+ players, Guelph 7 if you count Gogolev's increase in production since coming to Guelph. Guelph has 12 NHL drafted players vs. 9 on London. I think it will be an exciting series but I still see Guelph coming out on top. Suzuki and Ratcliffe are both from London and play well in that barn. We are just now seeing the full benefit of the trades Guelph did make at the deadline as players are healthy. Will inconsistent goaltending win them a championship? Questionable, but I do believe being stacked on Forward and D (in your mentioning of D you left out Phillips, WJC calibre), will get them far.

I'm headed to Kitchener tomorrow night.

And, Guelph has had their way with London this year. But I have a hard time believing London will not get to more of those rebounds that the Rangers are currently unable to get to.

And as I implied in my post, London's goalies, especially Raaymakers, can be had as well.

This may come down to home ice in a game 7.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
On the ticket/attendance issue, I think it's a mix of all those factors: weeknight games, severe underdog, high prices, etc.

One thing I don't think was discussed much is I heard that through the Board the decision was made to eliminate the pay-as-you-go option as they thought it would increase revenue as they're forcing season ticket holders to opt in for everything. I know in my section it had the reverse effect. I'm one of the only ones who opted in and the general consensus was no one was interested in committing to the full price. I hate money-grubbing decisions.

It's too bad, because I'm always of the mind that I will continue to support the team no matter what and would buy tickets regardless of night or opponent.
There's also some hockey fatigue with fans wanting to get a week off to enjoy the warmer weather and longer days. Theres probably numerous legit reasons espcially if one is married to a non-hockey loving spouse!

Reactions: Tim Wallach

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Maybe I exaggerate but you get my point. ;-)

For sure I do. I just wanted to point that out so we aren't disappointed if we see some 175 lb kids drafted.

There's also some hockey fatigue with fans wanting to get a week off to enjoy the warmer weather and longer days. Theres probably numerous legit reasons espcially if one is married to a non-hockey loving spouse!

I can very much relate to that. My wife would flip a coin to decide whether to watch hockey or clip her nails. When the weather turns nicer and your team isn't good it does have an impact.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Oh Sheila, Branch and all his cronies are still operating with the 1980’s mentality so you will keep seeing the same until the top end tumbles.

While we've seen great progress as OHL teams are managed and coached by younger, more dynamic personal, the dinosaur at the top continues to weigh things down .

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Still waiting for the warmer weather.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
There should be no way that after blowing that offside call that Lance Roberts should be any part of game 4. He should be relieved of his duties, period.

I remember him crediting the Rangers for a goal when the puck clearly left the ice and went into the crowd. No one raised their sticks to celebrate a goal. The linesman got a new puck to replace the one that went in the crowd. Roberts called it a goal. He was suspended one game for that gaffe. In a playoff game, he should get more. A goal is only confirmed when the VGJ is certain it is a good goal. Roberts was not certain it was a goal, but said it was anyway.

The OHL Officiating Supervisors Division needs an enema. Get rid of the old **** and get some smart progressive thinkers in there. Stop coddling those who can't do the job and train people who can. Where is the protocol for a review? Anyone could see there was questioning on the ice. You had to know something was up. Why didn't the refs call video review? Why didn't Roberts call the refs?

Guelph still would have won the game but it would have been closer.
Would they have won the game? Odds are yes...but who knows when Rangers were only one goal down? Anyway, totally agree. I'm amazed that wasn't called back.

Reactions: K2

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017

Thankfully it's a mock draft. The last thing the Rangers need is a another small forward.

Reactions: OhSheila

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Thankfully it's a mock draft. The last thing the Rangers need is a another small forward.

I'll take a Justin Azevedo clone every day the week and twice on Sunday. As long as we augment that player with some size, it's all good.

My concern is that whoever we take in the first round must report. Otherwise, I hope the player we take had plans to go somewhere else only and we can trade him there as a defective player for a boatload of picks.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
It's okay to have the odd small skilled forward. Personally I think the team should lean towards bigger kids six feet and up. For those that think big players can't skate watch the Storm tonight. Some of those big guys can move. When you get into a series and get out muscled in most battles along the boards and in front of the net you will have a mountain to climb to win a game in most cases. Although there is hardly a fight now in most games the intimidation factor is there. When you look up at a player 12 inches taller and fifty pounds heavier a small player has to think about his welfare going forward.

Mar 12, 2009
You have to take some of the measurements available before the draft and at the draft with a grain of salt. Sites like elite prospects and I believe the official OHL guide that the OHL website puts out, had Grayson Ladd at about 5'10. MM in an interview said he was about 6'2 and that's what he was at camp. Being focused on size when most of us haven't seen the players can sometimes lead to inaccurate conclusions and alarmism. We're also talking about drafting players at an age where a lot of kids are just about to hit growth spurts. Someone posted about Yantsis being at Guelph camp and he was listed at 5"10. A year and a half later and he's 6'2, now 6'3.

At 16, Langdon and Sebrango are right around 6'0, and our top pick still with us from the draft prior to that is 6'3" Vukojevic. Keeping an eye on size is something to consider, but I don't really think size is quite as dire of an issue as others. I feel like we're on the right track, hoping it keeps going.
I think some things look worse seeing one of the tallest players in the leage in 6'6" Ratcliffe against 5"6" (maybe) Gareffa makes the size issue look at least a bit worse than it is. The league is not filled with Ratcliffe's, he may be one of the best skaters at his size that this league has seen in a decade.

I'd like to draft for balance. Take a bigger player when his skill and skating are equal to the smaller players obviously, but I'd rather a small player with skill and skating ability than a slow big guy with average skill. Focusing on size as a top priority may just lead us back to near the end of the Spott era when we were fed up drafting size, grit players with lower end offensive upside and hoping to switch to drafting speed and skill even if small.

Reactions: EvenSteven

K2

Jun 11, 2015

Between Lance & Leon there's enough history to start a hall of fame for blown hockey calls and it doesn't improve away from The Aud much at all. I get it when the camera coverage looks like a poorly-lit Facebook live broadcast from an old iPhone but what the heck are these jokers (and the 2 on the ice) looking at when it's obvious enough to catch watching realtime? Would it change the outcome of the game? Who knows, maybe it buoys the Rangers and deflates the Storm, maybe our next shot bounces somehow in, whatever. We got stung early in a series that went to 2OT last year where any correction could have been significant. Nice that Lance confirmed he blew it, maybe he'll eventually take the task seriously and give goal reviews due diligence :help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad