Kitchener Rangers 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
From the last thread, there was a post about Axel Andersson. That'd be great if true. Just curious again how those rights work? I thought you couldn't hold the rights to more than two imports (aside from that summer window if one of them is a 1st round NHL pick). So when we picked up Lipanov, did that not mean we had to relinquish AA's rights?

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I'm not sure either. But I've read on these boards this year that it changed from a 1st rounder to any NHL drafted player.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
From the last thread, there was a post about Axel Andersson. That'd be great if true. Just curious again how those rights work? I thought you couldn't hold the rights to more than two imports (aside from that summer window if one of them is a 1st round NHL pick). So when we picked up Lipanov, did that not mean we had to relinquish AA's rights?

Just took a look back on the Soo thread around trade deadline time. There was discussion after the Pytlik signing as to what they'd do if the Leafs assigned Sandin back to the Soo to finish the season. Move Pucek, etc.

Nobody really mentioned if whether or not they still held Sandin's rights. But based on the discussion, it was assumed that they did.

Not sure this means anything.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I believe they Rangers announced they relinquished Liskas rights but not Anderssons.
Perhaps it was because Liska was a player here but not Anderssons?? I think Even is correct
that we may still have his rights.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

if the guy no shows then you can keep him 'frozen' is the league term. if all three show up then you have to cut one. in theory you guys would still have anderson but its slim odds.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Let's go Rangers! Ranger fans just want to see the boys compete hard in this series. We know it's an under dog role against a stacked Storm squad but they can be beat as we have seen before.

Reactions: EvenSteven

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Let's go Rangers! Ranger fans just want to see the boys compete hard in this series. We know it's an under dog role against a stacked Storm squad but they can be beat as we have seen before.

Storm 100% healthy. Great depth. We'll likely be rolling three lines and 5 D.

Reactions: bobber

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Luke solid so far. Neither goals his fault. Getting out shot 19-3 after the first and he is keeping us in the game.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
No Hillis still for Guelph, and he’s a second line quality player
So far it doesn't look like they need him. Storm taking centre ice away. Rangers are trying to carry the puck in and it's not working at the moment . Need some speed.

Last edited:

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
I don't get pulling the goaltender so early. We finally got our offence going and the tide had turned. I would have given it another minute before pulling Richy.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Decent effort tonight. Terrible first but thought Gentles and Cameron were really good.

I sure hope Yantsis has another gear because they need more than that from him to have any chance.

Reactions: Torgo

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
Good 2nd and 3rd periods.

Storm had a strong first period, but the Rangers bounced back with a strong effort.

The Storm are stacked with talent.

This is going to be a great series.

Love my Rangers

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I don't get pulling the goaltender so early. We finally got our offence going and the tide had turned. I would have given it another minute before pulling Richy.

Patrick Roy start of that stuff a few years ago in the NHL. Pulling the goalie way early.

Also, I wouldn't have called the time out when Mckee did. For me, I would've put the second power play unit out there. They've done a hell of a job this year as well putting pucks on the net.

Save the top five for most of the rest of the period.

That's not hindsight. I said it was a mistake as soon as he did it.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I thought it was good that the team pushed back in the third. If they can start the Sunday game with more passion it could give them a chance to steal a win in the Storm barn. Sent the Storm a bit of a message in the 3rd.

Reactions: EvenSteven
Mar 12, 2009
I hinted at it earlier. This will be a "war of attrition" (I honestly don't like employing war analogies for sports, but it is apt). Our top lines may be able to match theirs, but their top 9 is deep to the point their 3rd line is a good 2nd on many teams. Their D is very deep. Chemistry was the main question, but it looks good now. They will simply wear us down as their depth overall will give their players more resting opportunities than our top players will get.
We don't really have a "shut down" line like we did with Meireless, Mchugh and Damiani last year, as one is gone and the other are doing double duty, scoring and doing defense. Our 3rd and 4th liners unfortunately aren't taking the PK and defensive match up load this year.

Reactions: bobber

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
They will simply wear us down as their depth overall will give their players more resting opportunities than our top players will get.

Also, last night Guelph were sticking with the game plan.....Stay out of the penalty box! By now, everyone knows that Kitchener is most dangerous on the PP and does not match up with the stronger teams 5 on 5.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
McKee said going in that he was going to have a defensive style first and foremost. The 1st period sure looked like that to me. It reminded me of how he pulls the team in during the 3rd period when they have the lead.

Anyway, it didn't work and I do think McKee changed the game plan and let the boys loose on offense in the 2nd which paid off in the 3rd. Frankly, Guelph did not look good in the final 60 and actually gave up a 3-0 lead that could have resulted in a tie game. We'll see if the Rangers will continue this approach on Sunday.

And whether Guelph or Kitchener wins this series, I don't think either of them can make it pass the 2nd round. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Must win game today. I don't have a lot of confidence that we can win both games at home, games three and four. Both teams have been good in each other's building this year.

So we need the split to avoid having to go back to Guelph down three games to one for a game five.

Play 60 minutes and I think we're good today.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Must win game today. I don't have a lot of confidence that we can win both games at home, games three and four. Both teams have been good in each other's building this year.

So we need the split to avoid having to go back to Guelph down three games to one for a game five.

Play 60 minutes and I think we're good today.

That's the beauty of hockey. Or we lose today and go back to Guelph next week tied at 2. ;-)

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
That's the beauty of hockey. Or we lose today and go back to Guelph next week tied at 2. ;-)

Perhaps. But I think going into this series both teams would win in each other's building. IMO, the best case scenario for the Rangers is going back to Guelph for a game 5 tied at two games.

For me, the Rangers would have the best chance of doing that by gaining the split in the first two games.

If we lose today, there'll be a massive amount of pressure on the Rangers to win both games at the Aud. But should we win today, the pressure will revert to Guelph to win game three.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad