Kitchener Rangers 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
After the deadline, I had a Guelph/Niagara final. But despite Guelph's manhandling of us, I can't ignore Saginaw's record since they let Troy Smith go. They are on fire.

A bit of concern for Saginaw. They could have taken 1st with a win over London in their 2nd last game. And then went on to lose to the Soo. One only wonders if this is a blip or perhaps they were resting key players after the London game. I feel they can knock off Guelph if the Storm falter. Popowich has not been tested yet and that may be their achilles heel.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I find this Ranger team goes completely flat many times when the goalies let goals in early. Sometimes they push back. It has to be the lack of leadership when this happens. Also the guys behind the bench have to bare some responsibility when the team goes flat. These two goalies are average at best. The defense has to play solid in front of them. If they get running around out of position a piece of plywood would lose the game.
The Storm is a huge team built for play off hockey. The Rangers played like a small team the last two games. Last year they had some size and grit in the play offs. Not so much this year .

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Rangers 1 nhl drafted player. Storm 9 nhl drafted players.

I know we battled with them hard in reg season but playoffs are a different type of hockey. I had hoped the Rangers would give them a fight but I’m not surprised at how the first 2 games have gone.

It will be an interesting choice for MM to see if he trades away his big 3 OA’s and Damini next season or does he take a run for it. With them taking a beating in this series does he lean more towards trading them away? Time will tell but it will be a tough choice for him forsure.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

I know we battled with them hard in reg season but playoffs are a different type of hockey. I had hoped the Rangers would give them a fight but I’m not surprised at how the first 2 games have gone.

It will be an interesting choice for MM to see if he trades away his big 3 OA’s and Damini next season or does he take a run for it. With them taking a beating in this series does he lean more towards trading them away? Time will tell but it will be a tough choice for him forsure.

No disrespect, but I think it's an easy decision. If Meireles, Yantsis, and Garreffa all return, all we lose from our current roster going into next year are our two imports and our two OA's.

With the expected improvement of our 02's, all we would need to do is address holes on D and in net and we are a whole lot better next year than we have been this year.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I honestly see both Miereles and Yantsis in the minors next season.

I think both these guys get drafted late in the NHL draft (Azevedo example). They may sign as well. I can see maybe both starting in the minors. But it wouldn't be the first time that OA's start in the minors but sometime during the season get returned to their OHL team.

Someone on here earlier suggested Yantsis' defensive game needed work. Maybe another year in the OHL would give him that work. He is a late bloomer after all.

But if the Rangers do find themselves in a situation where two of the three prospective OA's that I listed above do not return, then I can see us going into a sell mode at the deadline. That means Damiani and the returning OA are put on the market.

Reactions: rangersblues
Mar 12, 2009
No disrespect, but I think it's an easy decision. If Meireles, Yantsis, and Garreffa all return, all we lose from our current roster going into next year are our two imports and our two OA's.

With the expected improvement of our 02's, all we would need to do is address holes on D and in net and we are a whole lot better next year than we have been this year.
Agreed. A while ago someone mentioned losing our 2 OA D would be hard to replace, and while I like Gentles and Cameron, based on what I've seen, I don't think replacing them with similar players would be very expensive.

People talk of Yantsis and Meireless going to the minors, but I don't know. Sean Durzi on Guelph was passed over and then picked in the 2nd round by Toronto last year after putting up 49 in 40 as a D in his 4th year of OHL eligibility (same age- year GM and JY are in), but he was not deemed good enough to make a Marlies team that wasn't the deepest defensively. It's possible they get picked (I still see Yantsis being waited on until his OA season and signed then as a FA if he continues his regular season success), but I don't see either of them sticking. Yantsis does not have pro skating or a strong 2 way game. It took Meireless until now to really find himself in this league, I just don't really see him jumping to the AHL (anything less makes less sense than returning to the OHL for 1 year) and producing much, and I don't think it would be particularly good for his development.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I think both these guys get drafted late in the NHL draft (Azevedo example). They may sign as well. I can see maybe both starting in the minors. But it wouldn't be the first time that OA's start in the minors but sometime during the season get returned to their OHL team.

Someone on here earlier suggested Yantsis' defensive game needed work. Maybe another year in the OHL would give him that work. He is a late bloomer after all.

But if the Rangers do find themselves in a situation where two of the three prospective OA's that I listed above do not return, then I can see us going into a sell mode at the deadline. That means Damiani and the returning OA are put on the market.
Unless Yantsis steps up and shows something in these next two home games I see him back here. He seems lost at times when pressured. That last regular season game in Owen Sound they focussed on checking him and he just got totally frustrated. Needs to really show something Tuesday eve IMO.

Mar 12, 2009
As the AHL season is starting to wind down, I thought I'd mention Jeremy Bracco is currently sitting in first place in the league in points with 72 points in 67 games, in his 2nd year of pro hockey. From my viewings he's improved his strengths and improved some of his weaknesses. As a Leafs fan, it's nice to see him coming along. He was a treat to watch here offensively, especially in in his 2nd season before the trade. Him and Mascherin were a lot of fun to watch play together at that time.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Agree with bobber, Torgo and Even. I think in these playoffs, you're witnessing why Yantsis will be back. Not to pin it all on him, but against tougher, faster competition and without many PPs, he is a non-factor. If he were to somehow sign a pro deal, I expect he'd see very little ice time early on and still end up back here eventually.

Meireles has a better chance because he's a pro level skater and a much better all around player. But he, too, might benefit from an OA year instead of being an ECHL fourth liner.

As for whether to trade or not, I agree totally with Even. You definitely can't sell in the off season. It makes zero sense to move three prolific OA players when you're returning most of your 5th place roster at a time when prices are low. All you'd be doing is helping another team and leaving yourself a hole to plug. If (and that's a big if) any of them get moved, it has to be for a good return closer to the trade deadline if they're not a contender.

NamesAreHardToChoose

Sep 22, 2018

11 Drafted.

One likely to be drafted this year in Stevenson.

At least 4 were invited to NHL Camps as well.

Ralph - CAR
Popovich - DAL
Gogolev - DET ( And draft eligible this year. )
Lalonde - TOR

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
11 Drafted.

One likely to be drafted this year in Stevenson.

At least 4 were invited to NHL Camps as well.

Ralph - CAR
Popovich - DAL
Gogolev - DET ( And draft eligible this year. )
Lalonde - TOR

And the Rangers have 2 drafted, not 1 as was posted. Damiani and Lipanov. Lipanov actually played a handful of games in the AHL last spring when his OHL season was over.

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
What do you see in our division next season?

London only lose Lochead and Hancock, and have strong OA choices. They'll compete as usual
Guelph will be in a rebuild
Owen Sound trades this year were mainly for draft picks, they're rebuilding
Erie will be improved

Yantsis, Meireles and Garreffa as OAs give us some strong scoring.

Our D will have Vuks, Sebrango, MacPherson, Xhekaj and Rupoli...pretty good back end.

If we can get a strong goalie in the import draft...we could be challenging London for first.

I'm not in the trade Damiani camp. I'd keep him for his OA season. Unless there is an offer MM can't refuse. He deserves to play his entire OHL career here.

See how next season goes. If it doesn't look like we can seriously challenge, then trade the OAs for high value

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018

London only lose Lochead and Hancock, and have strong OA choices. They'll compete as usual
Erie will be improved

Our D will have Vuks, Sebrango, MacPherson, Xhekaj and Rupoli...pretty good back end.

If we can get a strong goalie in the import draft...we could be challenging London for first.

I'm not in the trade Damiani camp. I'd keep him for his OA season. Unless there is an offer MM can't refuse. He deserves to play his entire OHL career here.

See how next season goes. If it doesn't look like we can seriously challenge, then trade the OAs for high value

London will also lose Raaymakers, Formenton, Bouchard and potentially Boqvist and Keane

As much as I agree to not trade Damiani as they could contend next year, I don't think he plays an OA season. 85 points in 58 games with one of the better two-way games in the OHL. That's a 100 point pace if he played the whole year.. 2 years from now it would be hurting his development to be anywhere in the O

Reactions: EvenSteven
Mar 12, 2009

Erie will be improved

If he has another season like this one, I really can't see Damiani coming back as an OA. If he continues to get stronger this off season, he's in the AHL after his 4th year.

Reactions: EvenSteven

NamesAreHardToChoose

Sep 22, 2018

Erie will be improved

London also have enough picks to get the entire OHL on their team if they wanted to after doing less at the deadline this year than expected.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Here's my look on the division for next season:

Guelph
key losses- Nate Schnarr, Liam Hawel, Isaac Ratcliffe, Nick Suzuki, Mackenzie Entwistle, Alexei Toropchenko, Dimitri Samorukov, Sean Durzi, Jack Hanley, Markus Phillips, Domenico Commisso
top returnees- Cedric Ralph, Owen Lalonde, Keegan Stevenson, Fedor Gordeev?
players to watch- Ty Collins, Danil Chayka, Zack Terry
team state- rebuild (8-10 conference finish)

London
key losses- Alex Formenton, Evan Bouchard, Joseph Raaymakers, Kevin Hancock, Will Lochead, Adam Boqvist? Joey Keane? Paul Cotter?
top returnees- Liam Foudy, Connor McMichael, Nathan Dunkley, Alec Regula, Jordan Kooy, also see '?' above
players to watch- Antonio Stranges, Sahil Panwar, Matvey Guskov, Luke Evangelista
team state- London Knights.... (1-3 conference finish)

Kitchener
key losses- Rickard Hugg, Alexey Lipanov, at least 1/4 potential OAs, Cole Cameron, Kyle Gentles
top returnees- Greg Meireles, Jonathan Yantsis, Joe Garreffa, Riley Damiani, Michael Vukojevic
players to watch- Donovan Sebrango, Reid Valade, Isaac Langdon, Ryan Stepien
team state- contending if 3 OA F's return (1-4 conference finish)

Owen Sound
key losses- Trenton Bourque, Zach Poirier, Maksim Sushko
top returnees- Aidan Dudas, Brady Lyle, Daylon Groulx, Kaleb Pearson, Adam McMaster, Barrett Kirwin
players to watch- Andrew Perrott, Mark Woolley, Nolan Seed, Sergei Popov
team state- continued rebuild (5-8 conference finish)

Erie
key losses- Cole Ceci
top returnees- Gera Poddubnyi, Chad Yetman, Jamie Drysdale, Petr Cajka, Maxim Golod
players to watch- Hayden Fowler, Emmett Sproule, Matthew MacDougall
team state- continued rebuild (5-8 conference finish)

Jives

Jan 6, 2018

Erie will be improved

Damiani 99.7% does not return as an OA. The kid is only going to get better next season. His skating and defensive play are already too notch. He imo will content for top 5 in scoring next year. Thomas and Kaliyev are the only 2 players I see being guys that will probably beat him in scoring. So I see him in the 3 to 5 range. That’s a bold statement I know.

Reactions: OhSheila and bobber

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
I find this Ranger team goes completely flat many times when the goalies let goals in early. Sometimes they push back.

Agreed though I can see the disappointment when Richardson or Pfeil start letting in the softies right off the game go. It is deflating. But I can't say that Richardson has been to blame this far. It has been porous defense and giveaways that have lead to the early Guelph scores.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Agreed though I can see the disappointment when Richardson or Pfeil start letting in the softies right off the game go. It is deflating. But I can't say that Richardson has been to blame this far. It has been porous defense and giveaways that have lead to the early Guelph scores.
I had mentioned a while back about the D panicking and not covering the net properly many times. Looking at some replays over time and you can see our D all on one side chasing the puck and an opposing player by themself wide open on the other side of the crease. Must just be the calibre of our defense.

Reactions: GeoBlue

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
I had mentioned a while back about the D panicking and not covering the net properly many times. Looking at some replays over time and you can see our D all on one side chasing the puck and an opposing player by themself wide open on the other side of the crease. Must just be the calibre of our defense.

I hate to say it but at times they look like the Timbit players between the 2nd and 3rd.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Sunday's game is reminiscent of games in the past when out of nowhere, they don't show and get properly skunked. Why? I don't get it. They can play this Guelph team but didn't even show up on Sunday. On paper, Guelph should take this series but I never imagined it to be so easily. Tuesday will tell the tale. It would be nice for them play their game and not be dictated by the big boys on Guelph. Also......having Hugg out for 10 minutes basically eliminated the 1st line for that same time period. That's a lot of scoring that wasn't there and Guelph took advantage of it.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Rangers chances to win the series are slim but tonight they have a chance to redeem themselves to the fans for the poor showing for most of the first two games. Get out there and play with some aggression. It's the damn play offs. Let's see some play off hockey and not back down.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad