Kitchener Rangers 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mag1600

Jun 15, 2012
As a Greyhounds fan, I am disappointed that the Rangers are not giving Guelph more of a battle in the playoffs. I was hoping that the Hounds did not play the Rangers in the first round. Yet, the Storm are at this point demolishing the Rangers.

Reactions: EvenSteven

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Gee. A seventh or eighth place finish in the conference and a top six or seventh pick in the draft would look pretty good right now.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
And for me, the import draft too. Each spot costs you three slots. We are now picking too low to really fix issues next year.

We'll draft 13th overall and around 39th overall in the two drafts. You're right. There'll be no immediate help coming next year. (Unless MM can cook up something).

Had we finished, say 8th in the conference, we'd be drafting 6th or 7th in the draft. Using this year's draft as an example, that's the difference between a Perfetti type player vs a Valade type player.

Nothing against Valade, but he didn't bring an immediate impact this year.

Mar 12, 2009
And for me, the import draft too. Each spot costs you three slots. We are now picking too low to really fix issues next year.
The import draft is all about connections, not worried about that pick being a bit lower there, there may be a difference but it's not all that significant generally. Would be nice to pick higher in the OHL draft, but from what I've been seeing it seems like there is a clear top 5-6 or so, followed by a handful of similar quality but NCAA committed players, then a plethora of quality players (likely to report) from 8ish to the end of the first that seem somewhat interchangeable.

Brutal game, but I'm not going to revise my enjoyment of the post-deadline season we've had as a result over what amounts to losing a 4-5 spots in this draft.
We'll draft 13th overall and around 39th overall in the two drafts. You're right. There'll be no immediate help coming next year. (Unless MM can cook up something).

Had we finished, say 8th in the conference, we'd be drafting 6th or 7th in the draft. Using this year's draft as an example, that's the difference between a Perfetti type player vs a Valade type player.

Nothing against Valade, but he didn't bring an immediate impact this year.
Perfetti was ranked 2nd or 3rd by the majority of the scouting community (a minority had him ahead of Byfield), but rumors were he was playing the NCAA angle to get a more favourable destination, so he fell. Saginaw called his bluff and it worked out. Not a great example imo.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
The import draft is all about connections, not worried about that pick being a bit lower there, there may be a difference but it's not all that significant generally. Would be nice to pick higher in the OHL draft, but from what I've been seeing it seems like there is a clear top 5-6 or so, followed by a handful of similar quality but NCAA committed players, then a plethora of quality players (likely to report) from 8ish to the end of the first that seem somewhat interchangeable.

Brutal game, but I'm not going to revise my enjoyment of the post-deadline season we've had as a result over what amounts to losing a 4-5 spots in this draft.

Perfetti was ranked 2nd or 3rd by the majority of the scouting community (a minority had him ahead of Byfield), but rumors were he was playing the NCAA angle to get a more favourable destination, so he fell. Saginaw called his bluff and it worked out. Not a great example imo.

That was a quick example. Just like mentioning Valade, who we drafted later than the 13th spot we'll be drafting this year.

Also, sure our play down the stretch was, as you say, enjoyable. But it's not like it couldn't have been enjoyable anyway finishing a lot lower in the conference.

Heck one of the most enjoyable seasons as a Ranger fan was the 2008-09 season when we missed the playoffs.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2009
And it can't be pinned on Richardson either. Nobody has shown up early in the games this post season.
Maybe I am imagining things, but I seem to recall this team having just a terrible time getting up for these 2pm games, for whatever reason. I agree that Richy didn't have much chance on the first couple, then after that we seemed to give up.

Credit to Guelph's team defense game though. They stifled any chance we had, gave us little room for plays on the rush. If they keep their discipline and continue their strong PKing attempts, this will be over a little sooner than expected.
That was a quick example. Just like mentioning Valade, who we drafted later than the 13th spot we'll be drafting this year.
It's a quick example, but comparing a guy ranked much higher than he was drafted, who had one of the best rookie seasons since Taylor Hall to our *17th overall pick isn't exactly fair comparison as it is at the extreme end of best possible outcomes for a 9th overall pick.

Last edited:

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
As a Greyhounds fan, I am disappointed that the Rangers are not giving Guelph more of a battle in the playoffs. I was hoping that the Hounds did not play the Rangers in the first round. Yet, the Storm are at this point demolishing the Rangers.

Does not matter. You guys will be knocked off my Saginaw.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Maybe I am imagining things, but I seem to recall this team having just a terrible time getting up for these 2pm games, for whatever reason. I agree that Richy didn't have much chance on the first couple, then after that we seemed to give up.

Credit to Guelph's team defense game though. They stifled any chance we had, gave us little room for plays on the rush. If they keep their discipline and continue their strong PKing attempts, this will be over a little sooner than expected.

It's a quick example, but comparing a guy ranked much higher than he was drafted, who had one of the best rookie seasons since Taylor Hall to our *17th overall pick isn't exactly fair comparison as it is at the extreme end of best possible outcomes for a 9th overall pick.

I absolutely hate afternoon games and I find it hard to believe the players like it either.

Totally screws up your game day prep.

I wasn't comparing Perfetti to Valade. I was simply showing the difference in player available in different spots of the first round.

I only used those two players because of Perfetti's success this year and where he was drafted and because I didn't have the draft in front of me to be able to use whoever went 13th. :)

Last edited:

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Does not matter. You guys will be knocked off my Saginaw.

And I think Saginaw wins the conference. After the deadline, I had a Guelph/Niagara final. But despite Guelph's manhandling of us, I can't ignore Saginaw's record since they let Troy Smith go. They are on fire.

While I'm at it, before anyone brings up the value of "meaningful" playoff games vs being a "quick out" in the first round of the playoffs, look no further than the Spirit.

They were bombed out of the playoffs by the Soo last year. That hasn't hurt their run so far this year (yes, it's way early).

But we kept hearing how not completely selling off our vets at the deadline was a good thing because of the valuable "meaningful" playoff games we'd get to play and how it would go far in the development of our young players.

I didn't buy that notion when we gave up valuable assets for Jake Paterson a few years ago and I don't buy it now.

That being said, I fully understand that MM wasn't going to just give away our vets at the deadline. Either he expected too much for them or potential trade partners tried to take him to the cleaners.

In any event, by September, we'll know whether or not MM's refusal to deal our potential OA's for the sake of moving them will pay off.

Reactions: Gondrex

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
For sure Torgo, don't get me wrong. Post-deadline they improved and entertained us and I will never fault a team for winning.

Just hate seeing the lack of aggression and push in the playoffs. Through two games, it looks way too much like the "okay with losing" Rangers of the last few years.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
By the way, you may have missed it if you weren't in the building, but the hit of the game has to go to referee Lewis.

During intros, when they announced Durzi, Durzi raced onto the ice only to be crushed by Lewis inadvertently. Both guys went flying and hit the ice hard.

They sort of blindsided each other.

Luckily neither was injured on the play.

Mar 12, 2009
I wasn't comparing Perfetti to Valade. I was simply showing the difference in player available in different spots of the first round.

I only used those two players because of Perfetti's success this year and where he was drafted and because I didn't have the draft in front of me to be able to use whoever went 13th. :)
I get what you are saying, I was just saying the difference between the 9 spot and 17 spot generally isn't nearly as wide as that, given Perfetti would have gone much higher if he hadn't played the NCAA angle. Someone like him getting taken at 9 is the outlier is what I'm getting at.

A guy like Jacob Perault had a similar season to no. 1 overall Byfield and he went 2 spots after Valade, for a counter- comparison. A few draft spots doesn't matter much IF scouting and ability to get in demand players (who have options to report to other leagues) is more important. Our organization has fit that bill in the past (and Vuk is an example), perhaps we can snag one of those top 8-10 ranked guys at 13 and get them to report (like Sag managed with Perfetti)? One can hope.

For sure Torgo, don't get me wrong. Post-deadline they improved and entertained us and I will never fault a team for winning.

Just hate seeing the lack of aggression and push in the playoffs. Through two games, it looks way too much like the "okay with losing" Rangers of the last few years.
It seems when they get behind early, they become demoralized and lose motivation as a team. Saw a few spurts of playoff effort from a few guys (Vuk made about 6 hit attempts in one 30-second shift) but for the most part everyone was completely disorganized. While I can't fault Richardson this time on those early couple, our number 1 area to address this off season is goaltending.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Can anyone imagine the roasting MM would have gotten if he had given away Miereles and Yantsis for less than market value the way they played after the deadline. If the scouts do their job, it won't matter near as much.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Can anyone imagine the roasting MM would have gotten if he had given away Miereles and Yantsis for less than market value the way they played after the deadline. If the scouts do their job, it won't matter near as much.

True that. But to be honest, those two played front line minutes and on the first PP every night. No doubt, had they been dealt to a top contender, they'd have likely seen a lot less front line and PP time thus affecting their production.

No doubt they'd have liked to go on another long playoff run, but I also figure both are happy with their seasons post trade deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad