Kitchener Rangers 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Meireles is the only one I'm worried about. He's got such a complete game. Any team will see that Yantsis' skating could still be improved. If teams wanted Garreffa at defence, this season should have completely changed their minds. I think they will want to see him play a full season at 1 position. Just my opinion.

I do know that the core of older guys are all really close and probably didn't expect this big of a step up in their production all around. If I'm them, I'd want another chance at something big rather than being in and out of an AHL lineup. And the fact that it's with the guys that they've been around since day 1 should sell that. Sometimes it's not all about being pro or not

I wouldn't be surprised to see both Meireles and Yantsis go late in the NHL draft and at least start in the AHL in September. You are right though that Meireles has the best chance of staying there long term.

It'll all depend on who drafts them and how deep their AHL team is.

I expected Justin Azevedo back for an OA season until he won the CHL player of the year and was then drafted by LA as a 19 year old. He had no business playing AHL hockey as a 20 year old. None.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I wouldn't be surprised to see both Meireles and Yantsis go late in the NHL draft and at least start in the AHL in September. You are right though that Meireles has the best chance of staying there long term.

It'll all depend on who drafts them and how deep their AHL team is.

I expected Justin Azevedo back for an OA season until he won the CHL player of the year and was then drafted by LA as a 19 year old. He had no business playing AHL hockey as a 20 year old. None.

and that was a guy who was on his 3rd consecutive season of point per game or better (in that case, a lot better). I’d hope at this point teams are starting to realize that just because they’re a bit older doesn’t mean they are automatically capable of playing at a higher level. They are late bloomers, don’t try to rush them into the pros. Tye Felhaber probably had the chance to stick with Laval or another AHL team after his ATO from last season (i’m interested to see if any Rangers get ATOs). I bet he’s sure glad he went back to Ottawa though

Reactions: EvenSteven

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
And the person who won the 50-50 draw for $24,005 at tonight's game.........never claimed it!

Fortunately nowadays one does not have to be there. They can just look online and see if they one. Personally, I wouldn't want my name to be splattered on the video board if I had one that kind of cash. I also know that quite a few in my section left early after there was a blowout happening.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Owen Sound started off with lots of zest and it didn't look good for the sleepy Rangers...but OS poked the bear too much with their hard hitting (and penalty worthy) antics. The OHL's #1 PP made them pay and the Rangers express came in waves.

We laughed after Yantsis' second goal and said "2 more to go" never imagining that he would go on to hit 50 that night! Simply amazing and a wonder to see at our last regulation home game. It was a fun night for sure.

I'd also like to point out that McKee usually pulls them back and doesn't go for racking up the points....but last night, he let them loose through the 2nd. It wasn't until the 3rd that the Rangers backed off a bit and the younger players got more ice time.

Will OS get their revenge tonight? One thing's for sure...Damiani better stay out of fights!!

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
I guess it's safe to say that Gordon's days as a Ranger are pretty much done.

This coaching staff would rather play out the last 5 games of the regular season, and presumably start the playoffs, shorthanded than use Gordon, former third round pick who's been available since last Friday.

Telling.
I heard rumblings of nagging effects from a concussion. Anyone else hear this?

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Anyone know if they keep records for most PP goals on one 5 minute penalty? That was the Rangers PP at its finest!!! And we need to give kudos to Damiani despite the fight. He gives us the 5th Ranger to score 30 this year. Could have maybe gotten 40 if he had not missed so much time.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Wouldn't it be 3 seasons ago?
This is his third season here!
Been here basically two and half years. Brown tweeted two years. He played 24 games first season. Maybe he was in their camp the year the Rangers signed him. I was just surprised by the tweet.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2009
Brown tweeting Yantsis was cut from the Storm camp two seasons ago Thanks Guelph.
A Knights poster said they heard they were interested in him but decided his skating wasn't good enough to sign him. It was a bit of a sneaky signing as well, getting him inked just a few weeks or so before the first U18 draft was instated.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
A Knights poster said they heard they were interested in him but decided his skating wasn't good enough to sign him. It was a bit of a sneaky signing as well, getting him inked just a few weeks or so before the first U18 draft was instated.
Yantsis parents sat behind us his first game. They did say the league tried to intervene and stop the Rangers from signing him. They wanted him in that dud of a draft. Guess the had no case and the Rangers went ahead.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Great research!

The thing that jumps out at me on the Guelph roster is their present goalie Anthony Popovich is a 97 birth yr! ;)

First off, Congrats to Johnny Yantsis. At the beg of the season, ward looked over to me and said he was going to pot 25 easily. Well he doubled that. Unreal and unreal to see the teams reaction.

PS Ward: sent over an email transfer 1 minute ago. Sorry we weren't able to meet for coffee or anything. Week got super busy.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Can't catch the game but Farwell didn't list Matt Gordon but he is listed on the OHL website as in the lineup. Can anyone confirm?

Mar 12, 2009
Meireless shoots it out of play into the mesh after the whistle. I hope their is some kind of discretion by the league, I guess it's an automatic 5 game suspension like Damiani got, but 5 playoff games seems egregious for flipping a puck and having it hit the netting. I'm assuming it will be a full 5 though.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
I get the spirit of that rule but they seriously need to revisit it if teams are losing their best players for the playoffs because of a harmless little flip. It's bad for business. Common sense needs to apply.

Reactions: Torgo
Mar 12, 2009
I get the spirit of that rule but they seriously need to revisit it if teams are losing their best players for the playoffs because of a harmless little flip. It's bad for business. Common sense needs to apply.
I understand the spirit of it as well, but I think 1 or 2 games would accomplish the same goal. 5 just seems punitive if their is no intent to shoot it into the crowd, especially playoffs (unlike the pros the OHL doesn't seem to factor playoffs vs regular season into anything). Oh well, it figures that the one punishment this league is consistent about is arguably one of the silliest ones.
I know there is a difference between during the play flipping it out and after the whistle, but it just doesn't seem right to see a player kicked out for hitting the mesh, then moments later seeing the puck go into the actual crowd during a routine play like I just did.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
I understand the spirit of it as well, but I think 1 or 2 games would accomplish the same goal. 5 just seems punitive if their is no intent to shoot it into the crowd, especially playoffs (unlike the pros the OHL doesn't seem to factor playoffs vs regular season into anything). Oh well, it figures that the one punishment this league is consistent about is arguably one of the silliest ones.

Totally agree. Meanwhile Trent Bourque is playing tonight with no punishment for a blatant cross check to the face and Toropchenko with no discipline for the head shot causing a concussion. So I find the OHL's attempt to appear concerned about human safety to be disingenuous at best.

This rule seems drafted by their lawyers.

Reactions: Torgo

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Totally agree. Meanwhile Trent Bourque is playing tonight with no punishment for a blatant cross check to the face and Toropchenko with no discipline for the head shot causing a concussion. So I find the OHL's attempt to appear concerned about human safety to be disingenuous at best.

This rule seems drafted by their lawyers.

more concerned about the fans than the players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad