Signing(s): Kirk Cousins signs with the Falcons (4 years, $180 million)

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
My last post breaks it down, from what I found on Spotrac.

After 2 years, the Falcons would have paid Cousins $90 mill but taken cap hits of $25 and then $40 mill for a total of $65 mill. Leaves them $25 mill to account for in dead cap. But, there is also a $10 mill roster bonus which isn't guaranteed right now, but becomes guaranteed in March 2025 before year 2 begins. Thus, if he plays year 2, then that $10 mill is also guaranteed, which adds another $10 mill onto the dead cap of $25 mill, making it $35 mill to account for in 2026/2027 years.
Thanks...that helps. I assume the plan is to have a drafted QB in place by then to offset that dead cap (assuming he's released in year 3 or 4).

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Thanks...that helps. I assume the plan is to have a drafted QB in place by then to offset that dead cap (assuming he's released in year 3 or 4).
Who knows. They don't have to reach at #8, and I don't expect them to. They are currently paying 2 OL and Cousins. Pitts is eligible for a new deal now, but given his lack of use, he can't press the issue before year 4. Little surprised that the Falcons are not taking a larger cap hit with their trio of offensive weapons on their rookie deals in 2024.

Who knows, Cousins, may end up playing year 3, but that has a base salary of $35 mill. So, he would be due $45 mill in real money for 2026. If cut, could Kirk do better than $35 mill at age 38? So, he may take a cut to remain on the roster for 2026 if he's still a solid starter. But, that's for later.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Who knows. They don't have to reach at #8, and I don't expect them to. They are currently paying 2 OL and Cousins. Pitts is eligible for a new deal now, but given his lack of use, he can't press the issue before year 4. Little surprised that the Falcons are not taking a larger cap hit with their trio of offensive weapons on their rookie deals in 2024.

Who knows, Cousins, may end up playing year 3, but that has a base salary of $35 mill. So, he would be due $45 mill in real money for 2026. If cut, could Kirk do better than $35 mill at age 38? So, he may take a cut to remain on the roster for 2026 if he's still a solid starter. But, that's for later.
No...I think the only way they draft a QB this year is in the later rounds. If Dallas Turner is there at 8, I expect them to get him.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
No...I think the only way they draft a QB this year is in the later rounds. If Dallas Turner is there at 8, I expect them to get him.
Basically, taking another shot like they did on Ridder in 2022 draft on Day 3. Gave him a shot in year 2 to be their starter and he didn't deliver. That was his one true shot at being QB1. He had 50 college starts, so, as much as you can have as a 4 year starter. He could have returned like Nix for a super senior year, but opted for the draft.

ATL will need a cheaper option once they move off Cousins, be it after year 2 or year 3 realisitcally.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
His agent must be the best in the business. He'll have made over $400million in career earnings if he sees out that contract. I think he's a safe pair of hands but he seems to disappear when the prime time lights are on. I don't think he's much better than Geno Smith (and I want the Seahawks to draft a QB) and i'd rather his deal

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
His agent must be the best in the business. He'll have made over $400million in career earnings if he sees out that contract. I think he's a safe pair of hands but he seems to disappear when the prime time lights are on. I don't think he's much better than Geno Smith (and I want the Seahawks to draft a QB) and i'd rather his deal
Power of betting on yourself with the 2 tags. Complete free agent. And got to negotiate a No Tag condition to strengthen his position.

Hall of Faber

Nov 16, 2012
Thorndale, PA
Who stole the bags the best? Cousins or Bradford?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The national media for five years: "Haha the Vikings are so dumb for overpaying a guy they'll never win with."

*they FINALLY decide they're no longer going to overpay a guy they'll never win with*

"Wow. What are the Vikings thinking? How do you let him walk out the door?"

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Most detailed behind the scenes look at Kirk's free agency that I've seen. Sounds like the Vikings stood pretty firm about being able to get out of any contract after this up coming season and potentially moving on with a replacement. Glad to see it.

Reactions: avalanche_country

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
They belong in the same conversation of who extorted more money out of owners.

I don't know if they're comparable. Bradford got a mega contract once, and that was as the first overall pick back when there wasn't really a rookie pay cap. At the time it wasn't really seen as undeserved, he was. Heisman winning QB with all the potential in the world.

It was inline with what Stafford got the year prior (Bradford did get more guaranteed $$)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Most detailed behind the scenes look at Kirk's free agency that I've seen. Sounds like the Vikings stood pretty firm about being able to get out of any contract after this up coming season and potentially moving on with a replacement. Glad to see it.

$28.5 mill in dead money from Kirk and another large amount from Hunter. Minny needs to use this upcoming season to clean their cap situation. Think they are now up to $57 mill

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
$28.5 mill in dead money from Kirk and another large amount from Hunter. Minny needs to use this upcoming season to clean their cap situation. Think they are now up to $57 mill

That was the plan all along. They did the same thing last year when they ate the Kendricks, Thielen, and Cook money. Next year they should have a ton of money available, even after accounting for the JJ extension.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That was the plan all along. They did the same thing last year when they ate the Kendricks, Thielen, and Cook money. Next year they should have a ton of money available, even after accounting for the JJ extension.
I know people get excited about teams creating cap space, but in reality, they are merely borrowing cap space from future years for the current/upcoming season.

If a player is still good, they just adjust how their money is classified. Only when a player is on a decline would that player be asked to do a paycut. Player then has to decide whether to accept it or take their chances in the open market. Armstead of SF bet on himself and got a contract from Jax. Most of the S that got cut, have not signed yet, so seems like they will be taking less than what their last contract called for in 2024.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad