Signing(s): Kirk Cousins signs with the Falcons (4 years, $180 million)

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
falcons should contend for the playoffs if cousins can play at his usual level post injury. 4 years is a bit much, but they desperately needed a QB

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Guaranteed dead cap in a couple years but at least they didn’t give up a boatload to move up. Now they can use a full draft and add to their depth.

Karterthadon

Nov 1, 2022
In that garbage division, they're pretty much looking at the playoffs for 4 straight years, for that market, they'll take it.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
4 years? Woof.

2-3 years at best but Atlanta has their QB.
4 years is just to allocate the SB.

This would be 2 years AAV or $80 odd mill that is fully guaranteed at signing.
Question is when does year 3 money vest? March 2025 or March 2026. That is the key to this contract.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
He'll help Atlanta and is a big upgrade there but that contract is insane.

As a Vikings fan, thank goodness it's over. A good player, who they never came close to winning with. He was brought in to be the missing piece and they paid him $185M and won a total of one playoff game. They might even be worse next year but at least they're no longer stuck in the mud with the only upside being mediocrity.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
If he reaches the max
He'll have made $420 million in his career

You can really play the system if you're kind of in the fringe range of QB's

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
The phrase that I heard once for Cousins that I've never been able to shake out of my head is that he's either the best bad quarterback or the worst good quarterback.

AFC South is very winnable, though. Basically either these guys or the Baker Bucs are winning the division, and while I'd give the edge at this second to TB it's almost a coinflip and can go either way.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
If he reaches the max
He'll have made $420 million in his career

You can really play the system if you're kind of in the fringe range of QB's
Cousins has been a top 10 QB for years (8-12 range generally), certainly not fringe. I guess "above average" is a good way to describe him.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
The phrase that I heard once for Cousins that I've never been able to shake out of my head is that he's either the best bad quarterback or the worst good quarterback.

AFC South is very winnable, though. Basically either these guys or the Baker Bucs are winning the division, and while I'd give the edge at this second to TB it's almost a coinflip and can go either way.

Yeah the division isn’t particularly strong. And with Robinson, Pitts, and London there are some talented offensive weapons around him to work with.

One of the most intriguing teams now heading into next season

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
At end of day if it doesn't' work out the people behind decision will be gone and won't have to worry about rebuild/aftermath.

The goal is clearly to be good enough to be in playoffs and in that division and addition of Cousins that is good chance of happening

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Yeah the division isn’t particularly strong. And with Robinson, Pitts, and London there are some talented offensive weapons around him to work with.

One of the most intriguing teams now heading into next season
I am super happy the Falcons kept the draft capital. Four picks in the first three rounds. Maybe even use a second or third on a QB if a decent one falls?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I am super happy the Falcons kept the draft capital. Four picks in the first three rounds. Maybe even use a second or third on a QB if a decent one falls?
Honestly, you can save the draft capital on Defence this year. No reason to settle for QB6 or something. Only use day 1/2 picks on a QB that you are comfortable in trying to develop and are willing to give that kid the time. 3rd rounders on other positions are at least sub package players in years 1 & 2. Day 3 guys, just taking a shot. With the injury, may want to use a day 3 pick on a QB.

Just look at the QBs who would be on rookie deals next season from up to round 2 and 3.

Trask, Mills, Mond. Going to year 4.
Willis, Corral to year 3
Levis, Hooker, year 2

Mills was given a run but will continue on a a backup for a while.
Levis will get his shot in 2024.
Hooker was coming off an acl. He’s insurance in the event Goff’s ask is insane for a new contract.

Last edited:
Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad