Player Discussion Kirill Kaprizov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
The more I see Foligno and hear him speak about things, the more I'm bewildered that he wasn't given the 'C'. He should be the captain of this team.

He was a pending UFA at the time that the captaincy was awarded and could still be taken in the ED, so it probably wouldn’t have been the best decision at the time for long-term purposes. I don’t think the captaincy is really a big deal anyways, I think any individual can step up in a locker room to be a leader. The team chemistry seems to be great right now anyways.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I mean it isn't a huge deal, but does anyone think that Kaprizov isn't going to win the Calder at this point? Given Guerin's fumbling of the center position, the early struggles that the Wild were having with chemistry (which is normal on a team with that much turnover), Zuccs being out early in the season and a stronger schedule at the end of the season that Robertson is going to overtake Kaprizov in terms of points and as such will beat him at the Calder? More so, some voters want to make a point about how Kaprizov is 23 and that will also ding him?

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I mean it isn't a huge deal, but does anyone think that Kaprizov isn't going to win the Calder at this point? Given Guerin's fumbling of the center position, the early struggles that the Wild were having with chemistry (which is normal on a team with that much turnover), Zuccs being out early in the season and a stronger schedule at the end of the season that Robertson is going to overtake Kaprizov in terms of points and as such will beat him at the Calder? More so, some voters want to make a point about how Kaprizov is 23 and that will also ding him?

I think the age thing is being overblown by fans on these boards. The Athletic released a poll not too long ago that showed the ACTUAL Calder voters had Kaprizov as the overwhelming favorite to win.

That being said, Robertson is certainly making this a race with his play as of late and I think it will ultimately comes down to a points race between the two.

Last edited:

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Calder is the one trophy I think that happens to get it right consistently. I think voters will appropriately weight the difference between a guy playing all his time with Roope Hintz (37pts in 32gp), Joe Pavelski (42pts in 45gp), and Denis Gurianov (25pts in 45gp)....and the other playing all his time with Victor Rask (16pts in 42gp) and Matz Zuccarello (27pts in 31gp).

One guy is leading his team in points while the other isn't.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
He’s got 1 even strength point in his last 9, and it came 1 second after a powerplay expired. That line isn’t working anymore. They’re over passing and not getting anything going in the offensive zone. Rask cannot keep a play alive to save his life either which doesn’t help.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Calder is the one trophy I think that happens to get it right consistently. I think voters will appropriately weight the difference between a guy playing all his time with Roope Hintz (37pts in 32gp), Joe Pavelski (42pts in 45gp), and Denis Gurianov (25pts in 45gp)....and the other playing all his time with Victor Rask (16pts in 42gp) and Matz Zuccarello (27pts in 31gp).

One guy is leading his team in points while the other isn't.

One guy is leading his team in TOI, while the other isn't.

Furthermore, if I remember correct, Robertson didn't start out in the top 6 but moved there as his play dictated it (and I think injuries...looks like Radulov is out). Kaprizov is averaging almost 2 minutes more than Robertson - which means that Robertson started out slow, and given his play of late, he's dictated more time. Kaprizov on the other hand has been in the top 6 since the start of the reason.

P10p

May 15, 2012
One guy is leading his team in TOI, while the other isn't.

Furthermore, if I remember correct, Robertson didn't start out in the top 6 but moved there as his play dictated it (and I think injuries...looks like Radulov is out). Kaprizov is averaging almost 2 minutes more than Robertson - which means that Robertson started out slow, and given his play of late, he's dictated more time. Kaprizov on the other hand has been in the top 6 since the start of the reason.

Doesn't negate the fact that Kaprizov has been stapled to a center that likely doesn't make the Stars lineup....

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
A58DE201-C865-45CA-B7D3-6A5F5CEE5DC9.jpeg

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
Dallas Stars fan here just saying congrats to your kid fighting mine. Some will fight about numbers all day on who should win but I’m thrilled, no pun intended, to have one of ‘em.

Can’t wait till we get back to a normal season and play each other.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Dallas Stars fan here just saying congrats to your kid fighting mine. Some will fight about numbers all day on who should win but I’m thrilled, no pun intended, to have one of ‘em.

Can’t wait till we get back to a normal season and play each other.
Like i said earlier, Robertson was a player that always stood out to me, years ago. Smart, and always in the right place. It's nice to have speed, but there have been some really great players who haven't had it.

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway
Congratulations to Kap, for beating Gaborik's rookie goal record for the Wild. Wonder what kind of contract he lands. Will it be a bridge deal, or a long time deal?

Reactions: BMann

63firebird

Apr 6, 2018
Has Rask ever made a play this year?
Has he ever won even one corner puck battle?
How many times has Krill bounced the puck off of Rask’s tape in the slot?
Fiala loves turning it over also but st least he evens it out with a goal.
Poor Krill. His points would be double with even an average Center.

Reactions: BMann

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Has anyone else noticed that Rask tends to get frozen out of the PP, and that other teams leave him wide open? Since he can't win a FO, I don't know what he is doing out there.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
On pace for 35 goals in his rookie season with an anchor of a center. No doubt has very real 40 goal potential in this league, which is exciting for a franchise that hasn’t really had that in a long time. I still think Fiala, whose pacing for 32, (36 goal pace since game 5) has an outside chance to have a 40 goal season or two with some capable linemates.

Reactions: Dakota Sioux

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
On pace for 35 goals in his rookie season with an anchor of a center. No doubt has very real 40 goal potential in this league, which is exciting for a franchise that hasn’t really had that in a long time. I still think Fiala, whose pacing for 32, (36 goal pace since game 5) has an outside chance to have a 40 goal season or two with some capable linemates.
I can see Boldy being a wing for Fiala. The kid can pass the puck, and his shot is nice, too. It will take him a while, but I think he will win corner battles eventually, also.

We gotta get some C help, pronto.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
As good as Evason is, his reluctance to move Rask off the Zuccs/Kaprizov line is going to be his downfall. Kaprizov has taken a sharp decline (his first 27 GP he had 25 points, but was 3.46/60 on 5v5, 66.4% 5v5 goals for % and expected goal% of 54.4. After he's played 18 games for 13 points, has 1.42 5v5 points/60 and 5v5 goals for% has dropped to 44.5% and expected goal % 37.0).

Ever since the Avalanche Game, this entire team has been out of sync. Playing against Arizona isn't a really good barometer either.

Minnesota went from being an elite 5v5 team to the worst in the NHL (The Wild Didn't Deserve a Trade Deadline Addition | Zone Coverage).

Minnesota got exposed and Kaprizov is paying the cost of Evason's reluctance to shake up the roster.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
As good as Evason is, his reluctance to move Rask off the Zuccs/Kaprizov line is going to be his downfall. Kaprizov has taken a sharp decline (his first 27 GP he had 25 points, but was 3.46/60 on 5v5, 66.4% 5v5 goals for % and expected goal% of 54.4. After he's played 18 games for 13 points, has 1.42 5v5 points/60 and 5v5 goals for% has dropped to 44.5% and expected goal % 37.0).

Ever since the Avalanche Game, this entire team has been out of sync. Playing against Arizona isn't a really good barometer either.

Minnesota went from being an elite 5v5 team to the worst in the NHL (The Wild Didn't Deserve a Trade Deadline Addition | Zone Coverage).

Minnesota got exposed and Kaprizov is paying the cost of Evason's reluctance to shake up the roster.
He did shake it up. It was only a game or two ago that he put them back together.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
The only rabbit Evason can pull out his hat is JEE between Kap and Zuccarello, but it would involve breaking up the GEEF's who are a dominant checking line. I've said it before and I'll say it again, there is no way to coach around our lack of talented C's. This is a Guerin problem that he failed to address in the off season or at the TDL- I suspect that the team's success(and Rossi's condition) has caught him off guard. Who could've predicted Kaprizov's excellence, Zuccarello's rebound, Greenway, Foligno, Soucy and JEE's scoring, the superb goaltending, as well as STL's implosion?

We are simply good ahead of schedule, and we don't have an answer at C yet.

Reactions: 63firebird

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
The only rabbit Evason can pull out his hat is JEE between Kap and Zuccarello, but it would involve breaking up the GEEF's who are a dominant checking line. I've said it before and I'll say it again, there is no way to coach around our lack of talented C's. This is a Guerin problem that he failed to address in the off season or at the TDL- I suspect that the team's success(and Rossi's condition) has caught him off guard. Who could've predicted Kaprizov's excellence, Zuccarello's rebound, Greenway, Foligno, Soucy and JEE's scoring, the superb goaltending, as well as STL's implosion?

We are simply good ahead of schedule, and we don't have an answer at C yet.
Swapping Rask for Bjugstad seems worth a try. I don't know if I'd expect a rabbit to come out of that hat but Bjugstad did have a few games centering that line and I thought he looked alright... maybe it was the beer?

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
I would try Strum centering Zucc and Kap. He has the speed to keep up, and has shown a few things. I'm actually quite high on him. I don't expect him to become a bona fide 1C, but in this situation, he might be an improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad