Player Discussion Kirill Kaprizov (Part 3)

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I like how he goes both sides. Mostly high, but he also slipped one in between the legs- as a goalie, it's pretty impossible to prepare. One thing he does on all of his shots is shoot w/o a "tell" that he is going to, so goalie is always late reacting. Also doesn't worry about power, just getting shot off quickly.

While he is deceptive, he doesn't really do a traditional deke move.

Hard to prepare for as a goalie. You almost have to treat it like a soccer goalie treats a penalty- guess on one side or the other.
I view his shootout move simply as "shoot where there's a hole, when there's a hole". Sounds simple, but definitely is not. How many guys are that accurate all the time, and have no tell? He's unreal, literally. What he does seems like it is from a robot, it's just been so precise each time.

It's impossible to never have a hole as a goalie. You basically need him to miss what he's aiming at (which he hasn't yet), because that's the only way you're stopping it.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I view his shootout move simply as "shoot where there's a hole, when there's a hole". Sounds simple, but definitely is not. How many guys are that accurate all the time, and have no tell? He's unreal, literally. What he does seems like it is from a robot, it's just been so precise each time.

It's impossible to never have a hole as a goalie. You basically need him to miss what he's aiming at (which he hasn't yet), because that's the only way you're stopping it.
I liken it to a fighter having a really good jab, who gives absolutely no hint that it's coming. It's extremely rare for that to happen. Said fighter can literally punch you in the face any time he wants, unless you cover your face, in which case he goes to the body(5 hole), or he tries to guess when you are going to hit, and throws out his hands to block the punch(pokecheck).

Some skilled players aren't very good at SO's. They have too much imagination, and they end up freezing. Gretzky wasn't very good. Kap is casual, and cold blooded...just enough deception, then...bam, it's in.

If i was a goalie I'd probably race at him before he was ready, like a linebacker looking to make a tackle. If you sit back you're screwed anyway, so what not try the unexpected?

Last edited:

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If i was a goalie I'd probably race at him before he was ready, like a linebacker looking to make a tackle. If you sit back you're screwed anyway, so what not try the unexpected?

Something tells me this wouldn't phase him unless the goalie timed it perfectly. The way he can skate and handle the puck, it's instinctual. He would simply protect the puck and wait the goalie out until he had an open net. You'd have to start rushing him at a distance where you can get to the puck before he can react, which is a very short window.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Something tells me this wouldn't phase him unless the goalie timed it perfectly. The way he can skate and handle the puck, it's instinctual. He would simply protect the puck and wait the goalie out until he had an open net. You'd have to start rushing him at a distance where you can get to the puck before he can react, which is a very short window.
And more often than, it would probably look like Fleury vs. Robertson.

The thing about what Kap does, is the minimal deking means he's not looking down as much, so he'd be aware if the goalie was going to try something.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
320966994_645413243994613_3938750537209258144_n-jpg.624240

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
It's so weird when Juice Box's thread gets bumped. In his short time here he's clearly established himself as the GOAT in Wild history.... what more can be said.

That said, I'm all for hearing more about him and what he's doing! Lol. Going to be rough when he's wearing another sweater... love the dude.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
im upset & mad at gaborik however in his defense the gm DR & ownership never spent to the cap max. hopefully kaprizov will be happy when our cap h3ll is over and mgmt is smart enough to bring in a talented friend of kaprizov. WE CAN'T LOSE HIM! he needs to be a wild player for his entire career. (see ovechkin)

Wabit

May 23, 2016
im upset & mad at gaborik however in his defense the gm DR & ownership never spent to the cap max. hopefully kaprizov will be happy when our cap h3ll is over and mgmt is smart enough to bring in a talented friend of kaprizov. WE CAN'T LOSE HIM! he needs to be a wild player for his entire career. (see ovechkin)

Ovechkin was never a Wild player... :sarcasm::help::popcorn::rolly:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
So Kap only gets in the fastest skater? Meh. He doesn't stand a chance there.
Why not have him in the accuracy challenge? I'd love to see him get a shot at 4 for 4!

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Why not have him in the accuracy challenge? I'd love to see him get a shot at 4 for 4!
Why? Because nothing about the NHL All-Star weekend has made any sense since 2000.

Reactions: TaLoN

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011

They're doing it to spark a fiery rivalry between Kaprizov and Fiala, who is also participating

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
I am worried to be honest. He looks different from his previous “slow” starts. His skating seems to be holding him back from making the aggressive plays that I am used to seeing from him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad